Building a gaming PC

C-Man

Dumb question amnesty - I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my Dell all-in-one.  It has two RAM slots and came with 8 GB of RAM, but I haven't cracked it open to see if that's 2x4GB cards or 1x8GB card.  It can take up to 32 GB so I think I'm going to just buy 2x16GB cards and swap them out.

My question is, does it really matter where I order the cards from?  Pretty sure I'm out of whatever warranty it came with and the RAM sticks directly from Dell are ~$85 per vs. other sites where I see them for ~$39 per.  As long as the MHz are the same and they are both DDR4, is there a reason to buy directly from Dell?  The $39 sticks are a "house brand" from MemoryStock.com, but even Samsung brand are $60.

31 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Dumb question amnesty - I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my Dell all-in-one.  It has two RAM slots and came with 8 GB of RAM, but I haven't cracked it open to see if that's 2x4GB cards or 1x8GB card.  It can take up to 32 GB so I think I'm going to just buy 2x16GB cards and swap them out.

My question is, does it really matter where I order the cards from?  Pretty sure I'm out of whatever warranty it came with and the RAM sticks directly from Dell are ~$85 per vs. other sites where I see them for ~$39 per.  As long as the MHz are the same and they are both DDR4, is there a reason to buy directly from Dell?  The $39 sticks are a "house brand" from MemoryStock.com, but even Samsung brand are $60.

look on slickdeals for RAM deals....the last 3 places I've ordered RAM from were Crucial, Amazon and Newegg....just depends who has the best price. 

12 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

But it's functionally all the same?  No need to pay for a better brand?

No, I wasn't saying that at all. I'm saying look for the best deal on the best brand you can afford.

Slickdeals has a discussion forum, generally with a few knowledgeable posters. If someone posts a deal for 32GB of Brand X for $70, the thread gets voted up or down according to likes. If it's a bad price or a shitty brand, the number of thumbs up/down will reflect that.

Reddit has memory deal discussions as well, but I fucking hate their forum design.

• Hook 'Em 1

C41A4B39-E38A-405E-B397-B34D416D16C0.jpeg

F7DA4194-A04C-450E-B116-D5E125F9F4D4.jpeg

I will be replacing the rear exhaust fan with the same fans that are on the top and bottom but the 140mm size was not in stock. The 240 hz 2k monitor comes in tomorrow and will be the main monitor. The smaller monitor will be given to my cousin. Also it’s sitting on a 1.25 inch thick  piece of wood and not on carpet. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 3:32 PM, The Royal We said:

Check Crucial.com and look for your model and it’ll tell you exactly what’s available. The 32gb limitation may not be accurate - a lot of systems will take 64gb, but they could only be tested against 32gb because that’s what was available when they came out.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only thing that annoys me so far is the Gigabyte control center not remembering my RGB settings and the fan settings for the GPU. Downloaded a driver tonight from gigabyte website so maybe that helps. 

image.thumb.png.268205365723b51b718637625c7c69ef.png

I think I need to download this as well for the MOBO.

image.thumb.png.8f5831fb39c56b9efb56fec46a8481ae.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Looks good! What are you playing? I am currently waiting on the Hogwarts game to release before I get back in to playing. I finished up Death Stranding and needed a break.

Started WOW because friends are playing, Warzone2/MW2(getting 200+ fps on this), the isle with friends cause RP Dino’s is fun, elder scrolls online, red dead 2 when I’m bored, and some other stupid games like pummel party 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:13 PM, speed817 said:

People still play WOW??? 😆

On 1/31/2023 at 10:39 PM, Capn81 said:

I think it just made a big comeback, or a new add-on (not sure what they are called).

Pandemic and then the recent Dragon/Dragonflight expansion (where you get to be a dragon sorta).

And they have the free-to-play tier as well.

I've been messing around on Stormrage with my kid, and it's a "full" server and it shows, plenty of people running around. 

If you are getting back into it, I would not pick a low/medium server at this point, because even in a "full" server, it's never felt full like it used to (but it's still busy).

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

That's an insanely dense little machine, and it's all on a 120W power supply. How many 4k transcodes are you running??

It has been able to handle 7 4k transcodes to 1080p with tone mapping before any sort of buffering starts.  Quite a step up from my Ivy Bridge Xpenology NAS and Plex set up I had been running for years.

• Drool 2

Looking at upgrading my GPU from a 5700xt to a 3080 or 4080 but worried I may need a bigger power supply. Current rig is an AMD 3700x, x570 MB, 32g ddr4, gigabyte 5700xt, and a 750w gold rated PSU.

Anybody think I should bump up the power supply or would I be good? Also thought of just giving this PC to my son and building a new one. I’ve been out of the loop the past 3 years on PC parts but by first glance, storage prices have come down massively and there’s a new line of GPUs that came out.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Looking at upgrading my GPU from a 5700xt to a 3080 or 4080 but worried I may need a bigger power supply. Current rig is an AMD 3700x, x570 MB, 32g ddr4, gigabyte 5700xt, and a 750w gold rated PSU.

Anybody think I should bump up the power supply or would I be good? Also thought of just giving this PC to my son and building a new one. I’ve been out of the loop the past 3 years on PC parts but by first glance, storage prices have come down massively and there’s a new line of GPUs that came out.

How much is the difference in power draw between the GPUs?  I’m running an AMD 3700x with 32gb, a mini-itx board and a RTX 2060, on a 650w PSU.   The nice thing about the 3700x is the TDP is only 65w, so that gives you a little more room.

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

How much is the difference in power draw between the GPUs?  I’m running an AMD 3700x with 32gb, a mini-itx board and a RTX 2060, on a 650w PSU.   The nice thing about the 3700x is the TDP is only 65w, so that gives you a little more room.

I think a 750w PSU would work.  But it also depends if you are overclocking.  I upgraded my PSU from a 650w to an 850w when I got my 3080 just to be safe even though all the online calculators said I should be ok..  I'm running a 9700k OC'd to 5.0 Ghz on all cores with the 3080 and haven't had any issues.

6 hours ago, speed817 said:

I think a 750w PSU would work.  But it also depends if you are overclocking.  I upgraded my PSU from a 650w to an 850w when I got my 3080 just to be safe even though all the online calculators said I should be ok..  I'm running a 9700k OC'd to 5.0 Ghz on all cores with the 3080 and haven't had any issues.

Don’t plan on overclocking.

tom's found the FE using 300 watts.  a 3700x uses 65.  x570 uses 15.  SSDs sip power.  400 watts is 80% of of a 500 watt supply's capacity.  like i said, a quality unit could probably do it.  wouldn't be my top choice but, again, you could get away with it. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, speed817 said:

+1 to 750W being enough - I've got a 3700x, 3080, a gaggle of SSD and HDD's, and never had any power options with the whole thing at 100% utilization doing ML training and/or data processing. Gaming has always been solid.

If you're buying closer to your actual power budget rather than leaving some headroom, you should consider getting a better PSU, like 80+ Gold or better rated. Some of the cheaper brands start to get unstable when they're using almost all over the output - something like using 700 out of 750 watts may trip a crappy PSU 

On 2/16/2023 at 7:27 AM, Captainant said:

+1 to 750W being enough - I've got a 3700x, 3080, a gaggle of SSD and HDD's, and never had any power options with the whole thing at 100% utilization doing ML training and/or data processing. Gaming has always been solid.

If you're buying closer to your actual power budget rather than leaving some headroom, you should consider getting a better PSU, like 80+ Gold or better rated. Some of the cheaper brands start to get unstable when they're using almost all over the output - something like using 700 out of 750 watts may trip a crappy PSU 

really miss jonnyguru's site.  hotbox torture tests of PSUs and the cheap ones go *poof*

• 2 weeks later...

I just made the jump up to a 5800x3D from my 3700x, which is going into my wife's PC to upgrade her 1st gen Ryzen 1700. It's been a hell of a thing to be able to piecemeal upgrade all the components on a pretty long lived motherboard. I finally upgraded my cooler to a big chonker air cooler with two fans and the highest temp I've seen so far is 85° with 100% load across all cores. 

Games go brrrr real good now, they aren't really much faster but they've all felt smoother and more consistent which is noice. 

God damn I hope those CSGO source 2 rumors are true!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 1:58 AM, Tobias said:

no idea if it’s still the “thing”, but msi afterburner still the most common in my circle. don’t love it but it works

it kinda got caught up in the war

MSI intends 'to continue with Afterburner' overclocking app despite not paying its Russian dev

published January 09, 2023

Alexey 'Unwinder' Nicolaychuk called the overclocking application "probably dead" in a forum post, but MSI has told us it has been working on a solution.