Building a gaming PC

C-Man

There are a ton of stock bots that will notify you via Discord when stock drops. The best chance you'll get a new processors/GPUs is via the newegg mobile app and Apple Pay. Literally one click and two presses of the power button and Apple Pay fills out all of your information for you. 

I'm building a new PC this weekend with some significant upgrades. Currently running a Ryzen 1600x and a 1080Ti. I have my Ryzen 5800x on the table behind me and I'm upgrading to a Gigabye Vision 3080 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080VISION-OC-10GD#kf) since I'm going for an all white build.  Should pair really well with my Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Anyone in Austin looking for a Ryzen 5800X? I got one through amazon and then a few hours later was able to get a 5900X, which is what I really wanted. Planning to return the 5800X but would be happy to sell to someone local at cost. 

What did you pay for it? I'll probably buy it. 

22 hours ago, Istian said:

There are a ton of stock bots that will notify you via Discord when stock drops. The best chance you'll get a new processors/GPUs is via the newegg mobile app and Apple Pay. Literally one click and two presses of the power button and Apple Pay fills out all of your information for you. 

I'm building a new PC this weekend with some significant upgrades. Currently running a Ryzen 1600x and a 1080Ti. I have my Ryzen 5800x on the table behind me and I'm upgrading to a Gigabye Vision 3080 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080VISION-OC-10GD#kf) since I'm going for an all white build.  Should pair really well with my Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor. 

Discord does work and I was lucky enough to get a 3080 founders edition by following a stock tracking discord. Lately I've had even better success using the HotStock app.

Over the weekend I was able to get a 5800X, 5900X, and Xbox Series X using the HotStock app. The discord stock bot I was following didn't notify me on any of those drops but hotstock did. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Told my kid she can get a gaming pc this xmas.  Just looking for the box for now.  Budget is $800 tops which I know is entry level. It's been 20 years since I built a computer so I don't really want to have to assemble it but I can if I have to.  

TIA for recommendations, links, assholery, ect...

Edited by Ten Bears

9 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Told my kid she can get a gaming pc this xmas.  Just looking for the box for now.  Budget is $800 tops.  It's been 20 years since I built a computer so I don't really want to have to assemble it but I can if I have to.  

TIA for recommendations, links, assholery, ect...

tenor.gif

between all this shit launching too close to xmas and bitcoins being $24,000 (you can't use graphics cards to mine them but you can the alt coins and bitcoin drags alt coins up as well, typically) good luck. 

get a placeholder graphics card like this RX570 4GB (can't be used for mining because the file is bigger than 4GB now), a board and a 6+ core procoessor with hyperthreading and you'll probably be near your budget anyway.  that card should be ok for most 1080p gaming anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

anyway, this is about as base as i'd go right now, and it doesn't include a monitor or windows:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BXBrqp

power supply prices can be basically anywhere, i picked a big enough supply to throw any single graphics card at it.  AMD processors are unobtainium atm, so went intel.  went with a fractal for case as that'll be a good basic case, although case is very personal choice. 

advice for some of this is watch reddit.com/r/buildapcsales.  not only will they tell you if it's a good price they'll also tell you if it's a good product. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

anyway, this is about as base as i'd go right now, and it doesn't include a monitor or windows:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BXBrqp
power supply prices can be basically anywhere, i picked a big enough supply to throw any single graphics card at it.  AMD processors are unobtainium atm, so went intel.  went with a fractal for case as that'll be a good basic case, although case is very personal choice. 
advice for some of this is watch reddit.com/r/buildapcsales.  not only will they tell you if it's a good price they'll also tell you if it's a good product. 
I somehow lucked out on a Ryzen 5 in May at Newegg that was lost in the shuffle for a couple of days at their warehouse and a B550 motherboard that was in stock at Altex. This was in the heart of the shortage, too.

15 hours ago, Pablo said:

Subscribed,

i'll be looking to build a gaming rig next month. 

Would like to revisit some old mmorpgs so I'm not looking for super high end recs.

I've been doing some reading on the Ryzen chips and they have me interested.

I would strongly point you toward the Ryzen. Intels are a tiny bit faster and made with better materials but it really only matters if you’re going to do a de-lid and add a liquid cooling system.  If you are interested in all that then Intel i9 10k series are already available used at decent pricing from the usual suspects Newegg/Amazon

Got an e-mail from EVGA yesterday telling me that I was next in line to get a 3070 if I wanted it.  I signed up for the e-mail notification when they came in stock as I was going to buy one for a buddy if he still needed it. 

3070 - 3090 stock is slowly becoming more available which is good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Got an e-mail from EVGA yesterday telling me that I was next in line to get a 3070 if I wanted it.  I signed up for the e-mail notification when they came in stock as I was going to buy one for a buddy if he still needed it. 

3070s are damn good values. I was super close to grabbing an 3080 but was just too slow. 3090s are awesome but you really only need them right now if you have an 8k VR set or 2.

55 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This is about the worst time to buy a computer. Shortages work gpus and cpus driving prices up like crazy and the new tariffs being implemented

There's no issues with the older series 3 Ryzen CPUs honestly.  I have the 3700x and couldn't be happier.  However, the GPU shortages are a pain in the ass to deal with.  I don't envy anyone trying to get one of those right now.

16 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

There's no issues with the older series 3 Ryzen CPUs honestly.  I have the 3700x and couldn't be happier.  However, the GPU shortages are a pain in the ass to deal with.  I don't envy anyone trying to get one of those right now.

I've been checking the Houston microcenter every morning and they've been getting three or four 30XX cards a week

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I've been checking the Houston microcenter every morning and they've been getting three or four 30XX cards a week

I’ve been to that store a few times since the launch of the 3070s and was laughed at by the PC counter when I asked if they had any 30 series cards 😂 

• Haha 1

Damn. Did you sign up same day it came out?

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:
On 1/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Damn. Did you sign up same day it came out?

The week it came out or something like that.  I signed up for two notifications (FTW and XC3 Black Gaming) and got the XC3 notification.  If I were to pick one for myself, it'd be the FTW so I didn't buy the XC3.  My buddy went with a 5700xt.

The week it came out or something like that.  I signed up for two notifications (FTW and XC3 Black Gaming) and got the XC3 notification.  If I were to pick one for myself, it'd be the FTW so I didn't buy the XC3.  My buddy went with a 5700xt.
Nice, I ended up signing for the 3060 ti same day but nothing yet. I really wanted the 3070 tho. Yeah the FTW would be better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

that slow?  jesus.  you basically have to be the first person lined up outside at close the night before and hope they get one in.  are they even getting amd cards at this point?

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that slow?  jesus.  you basically have to be the first person lined up outside at close the night before and hope they get one in.  are they even getting amd cards at this point?

Not really, there's no real way to get a 30XX card on its own right now. My brother in law just got a new gaming computer from dell (for a good deal actually) that had a 3080 in it and got it a week after he ordered it. 

I think between the tariffs kicking in, the pandemic, and everyone fighting for the same fab space, there's just not gonna be that many cards available

On 1/12/2021 at 8:40 PM, Captainant said:

I think between the tariffs kicking in, the pandemic, and everyone fighting for the same fab space, there's just not gonna be that many cards available

Yep, NVIDIA and AMD admitted as much in some of the CES interviews.

NVIDIA is launching new 3060s at the end of February, and claim the cards will be around $330 or so for the lower-end, so I would assume that would impact production for the other 30XX series.

But it might cause some people to cancel their orders for the upper cards.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, pearlandhorn said:

I was about to build a mini-ITX setup (NR200 cases is slick) for some light/medium gaming using a 3600 and one of the NVIDIA cards.  Those plans are possibly on hold - I do have an older EVGA 660 that should work fine, but I don't know if I want to fuck with all of it right now.

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was about to build a mini-ITX setup (NR200 cases is slick) for some light/medium gaming using a 3600 and one of the NVIDIA cards.  Those plans are possibly on hold - I do have an older EVGA 660 that should work fine, but I don't know if I want to fuck with all of it right now.

FWIW the Houston Microcenter has a pretty good stock of 1660/ti's and even had four 3070's until about noon today (according to their website). I'm waiting for the day a 3080 shows up and I'm gonna try and snipe one

probably just the website not updating quickly enough.  per the spreadsheet, vouchers were passed out at 9:30 am for the cards.  seems like plenty of 5800 processors there tho. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B6ItNLKLecweK32HDYaiv1fBW1iPT6YROoLs7OK_xYE/edit#gid=0

Edited by elfenix

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

probably just the website not updating quickly enough, per the spreadsheet vouchers were passed out at 9:30 am for the cards.  seems like plenty of 5800 processors there tho. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B6ItNLKLecweK32HDYaiv1fBW1iPT6YROoLs7OK_xYE/edit#gid=0

Oh fuck yeah that spreadsheet is awesome, thanks for sharing. FWIW, MC seems to update their site stock overnight because I saw those 3070s at like 8 this morning

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

FWIW the Houston Microcenter has a pretty good stock of 1660/ti's and even had four 3070's until about noon today (according to their website). I'm waiting for the day a 3080 shows up and I'm gonna try and snipe one

I kind of want to get an RX - we'd be doing Minecraft and some other stuff that uses the ray tracing, but I'm not married to the idea.

I'm not going to be doing any heavy duty gaming and while I have a 4K monitor, I don't mind dropping to 1080p - Mainly Minecraft, Team Fortress 2, CS, some World of Warcraft, Stardew Valley, a bunch of railroad games off of Steam, Age of Empires stuff, Kerbal, Cities: Skylines, some Anno games, Shadowrun, Planet Coaster and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3,  with some room to grow.

I don't currently have a recent Windows PC for gaming (I have a 10+ year old Quad Core Intel Q9950 with an EVGA GTX 660), but it's a big ass tower that does double duty as a space heater, and I rarely get out of the closet to use, and I'm wanting to build a mini-ITX build that I can keep in the dining room and out of the way.

I could get by with a less powerful card for quite a while - the games above aren't that taxing, and I have sworn that I'm going to finally finish all of the Tex Murphy games, and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.  Those have been on my bucket list pretty much since they originally came out, and I have owned the physical copies (since they came out) and have them on GOG, but didn't finish a few, and 2021 is going to be great year, I can tell.

I need to check the benchmarks on the 3060 entry cards vs 1660 Tis when they are available.

In looking at some of the above games, maybe I'll just stick my GTX 660 in my new build for a few months and then hopefully prices/supply will make sense.

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

3060 entry cards vs 1660 Tis

i'm guessing 3060 will come in a bit above 2070/S.  it's a different chip than the 3060Ti, which is basically a cut-down 3070.*  1660Ti won't be anywhere near it, even so. 

*seriously nvidia, fix your fucking naming scheme. 

Edited by elfenix

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

i'm guessing 3060 will come in a bit above 2070/S.  it's a different chip than the 3060Ti, which is basically a cut-down 3070.*  1660Ti won't be anywhere near it, even so. 

*seriously nvidia, fix your fucking naming scheme. 

It would be easier to fix their naming scheme if they weren't so reactive to AMD and trying to establish presence at each consumer level.  A company with the clout that NVIDIA should be what their competitors strive to be, not the other way around.  NVIDIA should drop their entire lineup and other companies (named AMD) should be reacting to get a "like product" in the same range, not the other way around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

It would be easier to fix their naming scheme if they weren't so reactive to AMD and trying to establish presence at each consumer level.  A company with the clout that NVIDIA should be what their competitors strive to be, not the other way around.  NVIDIA should drop their entire lineup and other companies (named AMD) should be reacting to get a "like product" in the same range, not the other way around.

It's a weird situation - I think NVIDIA has always been a little paranoid since AMD is doing both CPU and GPU, and it's a legitimate fear that AMD will win enough fans over with their CPUs and do just good enough with GPUs that people will just stick with AMD.  Otherwise NVIDIA wouldn't have acquired ARM for $40 Billion.  

Shit's going to get crazy if Windows on ARM takes off (it's been rock steady for me with my M1 MacBook Air, and it emulates x86 Windows apps just fine).

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's a weird situation - I think NVIDIA has always been a little paranoid since AMD is doing both CPU and GPU, and it's a legitimate fear that AMD will win enough fans over with their CPUs and do just good enough with GPUs that people will just stick with AMD.  Otherwise NVIDIA wouldn't have acquired ARM for $40 Billion.  

Shit's going to get crazy if Windows on ARM takes off (it's been rock steady for me with my M1 MacBook Air, and it emulates x86 Windows apps just fine).

All of this competition is great for the consumer...if all the products were actually in stock.  It's sad that companies the side of AMD and NVIDIA haven't managed their supply chains effectively throughout the pandemic.  This would be the perfect time for companies to really step up and provide goods to people while they're stuck at home.  I get it though.  The manufacturers of these products are dealing with what everyone else is dealing with.

Well, we finally did it. He collected the components using Xmas and birthday gift cards from family and we built it yesterday and today.

About to throw Windows on it. Hard to believe we did it! Very satisfying father-son project. He spent more than y’all advised but it’s a neat rig. Cable management and order of build probably needs a little calibrating before we try this again! I might actually build an inexpensive PC for the home office now!

Anyway, thanks for the guidance! If I can do it, anybody can!

204e6a80fd2d3462274ad3c462585ad2.jpg

e0be9f6db3e9f6549277a369e5aa32ba.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Well, we finally did it. He collected the components using Xmas and birthday gift cards from family and we built it yesterday and today.

About to throw Windows on it. Hard to believe we did it! Very satisfying father-son project. He spent more than y’all advised but it’s a neat rig. Cable management and order of build probably needs a little calibrating before we try this again! I might actually build an inexpensive PC for the home office now!

Anyway, thanks for the guidance! If I can do it, anybody can!

204e6a80fd2d3462274ad3c462585ad2.jpg

e0be9f6db3e9f6549277a369e5aa32ba.jpg

Boss

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

giphy.gif

It’s not as intimidating as it may sound, it’s just tuning your ram. There’s some real easy walk thrus on YouTube and other boards.  Check it out if you have time it’s pretty straight forward. at best it could really unleash your system at least it’s a fun nuance to do with the kid.