Building a gaming PC

C-Man

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm waiting on the 3060s to change things at the end of February, either help with prices of older cards, or to just be available.

But I've seen folks talking about being careful when buying cards that were potentially used for mining off of eBay, because they are stressed incredibly hard.

And then there's this, about temps being a lot higher than people knew, when mining:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hwinfo64-adds-gddr6x-temp-monitoring-rtx30series

The former hardware/IT tech in me says "yeah, avoid those cards used for mining, as you don't know what the hell was done to them."

What are your thoughts?

no issues with the cards i've used for mining.  i largely stopped when the money dropped a few years ago.  that said, no issues with my stock blower fan RX480 and aftermarket 1060.

i just downloaded that new version of hwinfo and i don't see a line for GDDR6X memory temp

Edited by elfenix

6 hours ago, Capn81 said:

You still looking for a 1060 6gb?

Well I already have the rest of the parts for my build and still don't have a GPU, but I did put in a preorder for a 1650 Super for $200 (http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011004001504_B7AK114P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID! thanks @Hmbre97).

There's no definite ship date yet though the site says ETA 2/9 to the warehouse. Shouldn't be too long but I wouldn't mind getting something sooner and could be convinced if the value is there.

This is all new to me so I really don't know which is the better card. They seem fairly comparable in the research I've done, so the $200 price is appealing given the current state of the market.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well I already have the rest of the parts for my build and still don't have a GPU, but I did put in a preorder for a 1650 Super for $200 (http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011004001504_B7AK114P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID! thanks [mention=1096]Hmbre97[/mention]).
There's no definite ship date yet though the site says ETA 2/9 to the warehouse. Shouldn't be too long but I wouldn't mind getting something sooner and could be convinced if the value is there.
This is all new to me so I really don't know which is the better card. They seem fairly comparable in the research I've done, so the $200 price is appealing given the current state of the market.

I’ll shoot you message when I get home.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This morning, I talked to a friend who works at....a tech company in town, and he said the video card shortage isn't going away anytime soon, when I mentioned I was hoping to get a cheaper 3060 next month.     He said one was better off randomly walking into BB/MicroCenter/etc. and getting lucky at times (they do get regular shipments), but to still sign up for every notification for every retailer one could find.  He said some retailers do have problems with employees fucking around when shipments come in.

I asked why I was able to easily get one of their CPUs, whether one a generation back or the latest, and it came down to many aren't looking to upgrade CPUs, because most are running into GPU bottlenecks, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

He wasn't sure on how much the tariff thing was an issue, other than a shitload of retailers and scalpers did try to import as many as they could before December 31st, and it is already driving prices up.  

And the crypto and scalpers aren't going to let up at all.  Neither his company nor the competition are happy - they make no money when something is bought at or close to MSRP and resold, and they know people are pissed, and if one company could push out a bunch of newer cards, even if people are waiting on the the other brand, they might be tempted to just buy a card, simply to get a newer card.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Knew a guy who would set up a new system like this. Well, on a table. 

he would put everything together and make sure all the components worked, were updated and his c drive was up. 

Then, he would take it all apart and do a de-lid, add all his water blocks, set things in their case with custom cables and do all the custom water tubing. Once he was done he could just flick the power button and everything would pop up, ready to go. 

defiantly a “hold my beer” approach, but his final product was usually crazy nice. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

I'm actually flirting with a Ryzen 5600x and a cheap(er) 1050 TI or 1060 TI, since buying a decent video card at a decent price isn't going to be happening any time soon, and those video cards meet the specs of the games I want to play.

And thankfully, 5600x's are always in stock, and they seem like they've been creeping down in the $370 range.

Yeah, it's overkill, but AMD will be switching to a new platform next year, so the 5600x will be one of their last hurrahs for AM4.  I could easily build something that will last the next 5 years or so.

I’m doing a Mini-itx build for my office.  I paid a small premium to get a 5600x.  I have a GeForce 780ti Classified I’m going to put in it until I can find a 3060.   The case can only handle an 11” long gpu and as you all know the 3060 is nowhere to be found along with its kin.  I have a couple of 1080ti hybrids but they’re too long for the case. 

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What do y'all think? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bHtFqp

needs moar RGB. But also jesus fuck did you just pick all the most expensive parts lol? $800 mobo is NUTS (especially considering it doesn't have PCIe4) unless there's some board-specific feature you're looking for like dedicated USB controllers or ultra-high-end VRM's for better OC'ing

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

needs moar RGB. But also jesus fuck did you just pick all the most expensive parts lol? $800 mobo is NUTS (especially considering it doesn't have PCIe4) unless there's some board-specific feature you're looking for like dedicated USB controllers or ultra-high-end VRM's for better OC'ing

Basically, lol. I am interested in building a full AMD machine next instead of Intel/EVGA. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N34Wwz

This is probably what I would go with on a AMD build.

If you're spending money, you may as well get the 6900XT rather than a 6800. And also you may rather get win10pro instead of the home edition, at least if you want some of the poweruser features and less of the ad-bloat

On 2/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, VABuckeye said:

I’m doing a Mini-itx build for my office.

What case?  I settled on the Cooler Master NR200 (mesh).  Pretty pumped - it's less than half the size of my previous 10 year-old PC.  Have poured off the sffpc and nr200 subreddits and nailed down everything I'm getting with it.

Pissed off that 5600x's keep go into stock for decent prices on Amazon, get bought out immediately, and then some little company with a shitty raising on Amazon is selling a bunch.  I know what they are doing and how they are doing it, but still think it's shitty.  Makes me wonder how many video cards are currently tied up by scalpers.

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

That is a nice looking case, but I have little kids and the thought of having a TG side or two exposed freaks me out.

It was actually slightly difficult to find a decent non-TG ITX case.  Went with the NR200 because it takes a full-sized video card and has room for a decent sized CPU cooler (up to 155-158mm, but somebody is 3D-printing spacers on Etsy that allows you to take it to 165mm).

On 1/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, Michael Knight said:

This is about the worst time to buy a computer. Shortages work gpus and cpus driving prices up like crazy and the new tariffs being implemented

Going back to that, yeah, it's bad.  The tariffs are in effect, and run up to 25%.  GPUs are hard hit, so those 3060s that are supposed to be $399, that's why some retailers are running them at $499, because they and the manufactures aren't willing to eat the tariffs when they know every card they put on a shelf or list in stock will sell at $100 over MSRP.

This has affected me - I'm very close to pulling the trigger on everything, and my spreadsheet has continued to get worse.  I've written off a decent video card until later this year, and that's fine, we aren't playing anything demanding.  I may go up to a 1050 or 1060 from my GTX 660, but that's it.

This is from last month:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/7/22217206/nvidia-amd-gpu-trump-tax-china-tariff-exemption-expire

The Trump administration is now imposing a 25 percent tax on graphics cards imported from China, and at least one PC component manufacturer has announced it’ll pass along part of that cost to consumers.

We’ve known for two years that PC components were being swept up in Trump’s trade war on China. In 2018, GamersNexus, in particular, explained in depth how PC parts might see a price increase between 10 and 25 percent due to the categories the Trump administration tried to tax. Apple famously cozied up to Trump to avoid some (but not all) of the import taxes on PC parts, allowing it to build its Mac Pro in the United States using parts imported from China. (Apple didn’t reply to a request for comment on the tariffs.)

But PC gamers and other graphics card buyers also managed to dodge the bullet of higher prices back in September 2019, when the Trump administration granted specific exemptions for “graphics processing modules” and “accelerator modules.” And as The New York Times reported last week, the government extended many of its tariff exemptions until the end of the year.

But December 31st, 2020, came and went with any additional extensions — and The Vergecan confirm the exemptions for graphics cards and motherboards (classified under reporting number 8473.30.1180) were among those that expired at the end of the year. 

According to the US government’s Harmonized Tariff Schedule, those PC components would normally be free of import taxes. Now, under the “list 3” tariffs that were designed to tax $200 billion worth of Chinese products, graphics card and motherboard vendors have to figure out where to find the additional 25 percent to pay for tariffs.

The problem is that all of the companies involved (manufacturers, retailers, etc.)  know that if they build the tariff into the price, they will still sell everything they make and sell so there's no way in hell they are going to take the 25% hit if they can pass it off.

ASUS is building the price in from the start:

Update regarding MSRP pricing for ASUS components in 2021.

This update applies to graphics cards and motherboards*

We have an announcement in regards to MSRP price changes that are effective in early 2021 for our award-winning series of graphic cards and motherboards. Our new MSRP reflects increases in cost for components. operating costs, and logistical activities plus a continuation of import tariffs. We worked closely with our supply and logistic partners to minimize price increases. ASUS greatly appreciates your continued business and support as we navigate through this time of unprecedented market change.

*additional models may see an increase as we moved further into Q1.

— Juan Jose Guerrero III, ASUS’s Technical Product Marketing Manager

This is from 2019 but applies since the extension/delay expired last year.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3368-manufacturers-on-tariff-impact-to-pc-prices

Of note, cases took a hit because steel and aluminum from China, even if used in say Taiwan or Vietnam to make cases, still falls under the tariffs.

Also, while it doesn't directly apply to Taiwan, where a lot of CPUs and some motherboards are made, components that go from China to Taiwan are still included.

I'm not going to map it out, but if you poke around CamelCamelCamel, you can see a rise in certain products that match the 25%.

At least most of what I'm ordering is not the latest and greatest, and is old enough not to be too affected.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Going back to that, yeah, it's bad.  The tariffs are in effect, and run up to 25%.  GPUs are hard hit, so those 3060s that are supposed to be $399, that's why some retailers are running them at $499, because they and the manufactures aren't willing to eat the tariffs when they know every card they put on a shelf or list in stock will sell at $100 over MSRP.

This has affected me - I'm very close to pulling the trigger on everything, and my spreadsheet has continued to get worse.  I've written off a decent video card until later this year, and that's fine, we aren't playing anything demanding.  I may go up to a 1050 or 1060 from my GTX 660, but that's it.

This is from last month:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/7/22217206/nvidia-amd-gpu-trump-tax-china-tariff-exemption-expire

The problem is that all of the companies involved (manufacturers, retailers, etc.)  know that if they build the tariff into the price, they will still sell everything they make and sell so there's no way in hell they are going to take the 25% hit if they can pass it off.

ASUS is building the price in from the start:

wafter shortage + ridiculous crypto market + cyrpto companies bot farming all msrp gpu's. 

Better to just buy pre-built currently than build your own especially if you want higher end GPU.

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Maybe I should do that.  I have everything but the video card for my build.  I could make use of some of the spare parts from the HP.

If I had not already bought a NAS and populated it, I would consider getting something like one of the HPs for the video card, and building a FreeNAS server out of the remaining parts.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If I had not already bought a NAS and populated it, I would consider getting something like one of the HPs for the video card, and building a FreeNAS server out of the remaining parts.

I'm damn near justifying buying a prebuilt to get a 30XX card and then use the rest of the hardware for a plex encoding server and homelab box lol