Dumbass Shit on Nextdoor

Sbbruin

I don't even know what to say about Nextdoor.  There is some value when looking for a plumber or other similar recommendation.  But man the shit that gets going on that site is remarkable.  

And then there are the weirdos.  This person is looking for odd jobs as they are currently unemployed.  

Hi everybody, I've been putting posts on Nextdoor about doing odd jobs around people's houses and I'm getting a wonderful response. I just want to post again so people have all information. My rate is $15 an hour and I do jobs such as gardening and yard work, cleaning out garages, painting, helping with things around the house, running errands or mailing things, Etc. If I didn't list it, just ask me. If I'm able to do it, I will let you know. Don't hesitate just because you think your job might be too strange. I am open to all suggestions. My phone number is 626 394-8717. I don't get very good cell service in Altadena so text messages are preferred. Thanks, hope to meet all of you soon and do some work for you. Take care

Really, you're unemployed in this tight job market?  Why is that.  Oh, that's why.  And that is a woman, for those who are wondering.

2f9ab0ecb6fccd1acaa4078b70e2e349.jpg.max

• Haha 1

I reluctantly joined and yeah it's about plumbers, lost dogs, mail thieves and petty neighbor grievances. I'm waiting for it to turn racial and sexual like everything else on the interwebs.

Re the "girl":  that's about par for atx nowadays. 'cept she's smiling.

Edited by Guitarman

My favorites are the hysterical posts about stranger danger, etc.  Here's an example from last week.  This was just the opening salvo:

As my wife and I take our daily walk through the neighborhood, more and more we notice speeding cars and SUVs roaming our neighborhood streets. On Friday in the early afternoon, we saw a young man careening around the corner of Ledge Mountain onto Mountain Villa. Later during our walk we saw the same young man come speeding toward us on Twin Valley, headed back toward Mountain Villa. We made eye contact when he looked up from his smart phone in response to my signal and call to him to "slow down!"

This young man, like others we have seen lately, is courting disaster. Yesterday afternoon, he was a danger to himself and to others. Mothers and fathers are on these streets with babies in strollers; many are out walking their dogs; and some of us are just walking or jogging for the exercise. While disaster can strike in our neighborhood, when that behavior turns to habit and takes place in more congested areas, the danger grows exponentially.

If your teenage sons and daughters or their friends, are driving in our neighborhood please remind them that using a cell phone while operating a vehicle is not only illegal in Austin, but mixing that with high speed, puts lives in danger--their lives and the lives of their friends and neighbors. We have the license number of a Black SUV made in the UK and can provide that upon request if need be. However, we are more interested in the safety of our neighborhood and all of its residents and visitors; besides, not all of the speeders are teenagers.

At the opportunity, we should have the talk with the kids. They may not like it, but whatever discomfort comes with the conversation, is way better than dealing with the aftermath of a preventable disaster. And the rest of us adults must be mindful of our speed as well. The speed limit sign might say 30, but these streets are not highways, so the 10 MPH we might add on the highway, adds danger on Cat Mountain.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My favorites are the hysterical posts about stranger danger, etc.  Here's an example from last week.  This was just the opening salvo:

As my wife and I take our daily walk through the neighborhood, more and more we notice speeding cars and SUVs roaming our neighborhood streets. On Friday in the early afternoon, we saw a young man careening around the corner of Ledge Mountain onto Mountain Villa. Later during our walk we saw the same young man come speeding toward us on Twin Valley, headed back toward Mountain Villa. We made eye contact when he looked up from his smart phone in response to my signal and call to him to "slow down!"

This young man, like others we have seen lately, is courting disaster. Yesterday afternoon, he was a danger to himself and to others. Mothers and fathers are on these streets with babies in strollers; many are out walking their dogs; and some of us are just walking or jogging for the exercise. While disaster can strike in our neighborhood, when that behavior turns to habit and takes place in more congested areas, the danger grows exponentially.

If your teenage sons and daughters or their friends, are driving in our neighborhood please remind them that using a cell phone while operating a vehicle is not only illegal in Austin, but mixing that with high speed, puts lives in danger--their lives and the lives of their friends and neighbors. We have the license number of a Black SUV made in the UK and can provide that upon request if need be. However, we are more interested in the safety of our neighborhood and all of its residents and visitors; besides, not all of the speeders are teenagers.

At the opportunity, we should have the talk with the kids. They may not like it, but whatever discomfort comes with the conversation, is way better than dealing with the aftermath of a preventable disaster. And the rest of us adults must be mindful of our speed as well. The speed limit sign might say 30, but these streets are not highways, so the 10 MPH we might add on the highway, adds danger on Cat Mountain.

This driver could have been me in the late 90s. Minus the smart phone, but those hills are fun to try and get air on.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The University said:

nextdoor can get pretty weird, but it's nothing compared to the batshit crazies on the nwaca facebooks.

The amount of whiney boomers on Nextdoor is directly proportional to the average home value in the neighborhood. Somehow the nicest neighborhoods are just crime filled hell holes with lots of dogwhistle descriptions of hoodlums wearing things like "hoodies." I remember when we lived in Sweetbriar area there were legit crimes like cars beings stolen and a couple of homes being broken into and you occasionally saw these posted on Nextdoor but that was about it in terms of things to watch out for. I saw a few posts someone shared from the Westlake and Circle C areas and it was dozens of people worried about suspicious people walking around, possibly up to no good.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't even know what to say about Nextdoor.  There is some value when looking for a plumber or other similar recommendation.  But man the shit that gets going on that site is remarkable.  

And then there are the weirdos.  This person is looking for odd jobs as they are currently unemployed.  

Really, you're unemployed in this tight job market?  Why is that.  Oh, that's why.  And that is a woman, for those who are wondering.

jim-breuer.jpg

• Like 1

“Somebody rang my doorbell and I don’t know who they were”. 

On March 15th, 17th and again this morning, 2 women wearing tops and skirts rang our doorbell. We have cameras and saw the footage of the women but recently installed the doorbell that gives us the ability to talk to whomever is at our door. This morning, two women and a young girl rang our doorbell and when I answered through the intercom, I asked how I could help them. The woman in the picture on the left said they were going around the neighborhood asking if anyone in the home speaks Farsi. I was shocked by the question and simply responded no. She then leaned over to the woman on her right but then quickly said that's all they wanted to know. I called our neighborhood patrol to let the officer know about the occurrence. The officer said he had not received any calls similar to mine. He was actually down the street and drove by my house and said he didn't see anybody that matched my description. He said they must have come in a car and left quickly. Has anyone else had a similar situation happened to them? Would really appreciate any information. Thank you.

Edited by Call

I look it at for shits and giggles just to read how people channel Law and Order into their vocabulary and become forensic experts immediately upon signup.

$100 words and crime theories abound.

Random kid riding a bike is a "potential perpetrator" .  I'm not sure if they believe their bullshit or are all just trying to one-up their neighbors with fancy words and intelligent discussion.

- I saw a stray cat today, does anyone know who it belongs to?

- how to we control the over abundance of squirrels in our neighborhood?

- please be diligent about clearing your property of standing water in order to control the growth of the mosquito population

- psychiatrist referral? (Gets numerous immediate replies). Lots of personal medical info being exchanged.

Thats just a few. Nextdoor makes all of you fuckers seem normal.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I think that’s more to do with the land of fruits and nuts than Nextdoor.

51 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

@jimmyjazz Where abouts in Austin do you live? That is the shit I'm talking about, just busy bodies that probably do nothing but call the HoA on people who have a couple of weeds over 6" tall.

I'm a bit NE of 2222 and 360 . . . that particular post came from a guy on Cat Mountain, which is a little further east.  Lots of elderly folks in that neighborhood.

I also see the description of “suspicious”characters in the neighborhood.  The description will be something along the lines of “5’10”, black curly hair, hoodie sweatshirt.”  Intentionally leaving out key descriptors that might really be helpful in identifying said characters.  That would be racist.

I also see the description of “suspicious”characters in the neighborhood.  The description will be something along the lines of “5’10”, black curly hair, hoodie sweatshirt.”  Intentionally leaving out key descriptors that might really be helpful in identifying said characters.  That would be racist.

That’s because you live in Cali(generalization). They’d be chastised by their neighbors for saying the wrong thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in SW Florida so a lot of people in my community are retired have nothing better to do than get involved with other people's business. However, last week i got an email from next door with the subject line "Baby Ducks Killed". I though someone may have run over one of the families of duck in the neighborhood by mistake, nope. It seems that a family of duck landed in one guys pool and instead of lifting the ducklings out of the pool the guy drowned them. His neighbor heard the mother duck quacking and went to see what was going on, the guy said he didn't want any pets so he killed the ducklings.

Well the neighbor called the cops on the guy, when the cops arrived he denied it, but the found five dead ducklings in his bushes. He is now facing felony animal cruelty and endangerment charges and they are trying to determine the species of ducks as it may be a federally protected species, so federal charges are pending. So he may be facing jail time, I believe he is also a Canadian snow bird and if he gets a felony he may not be allowed back into the USA.

The morning after someone put some rubber ducks on his driveway with a note clearly written by a kid saying "Get your Ducks in a Row Sir", the duck killer has since put up cameras on his property.

Now the neighbor who reported him is losing her shit, she planted 5 crosses in her front yard as a memorial to the duck, which are no down. I am pretty sure the HOA told her to remove them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

78731 in the house! 

14 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

1d2ea35b6b92ec15ff0786c93c61c9a8_400x400

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

You are making that one up, right?

I wish I was, but people were bitching about them. This of course started a war between all demographics from hippie to animal activist to Richie rich to avid hunters. I don’t comment at all on this abortion of an app but it was everything that is wrong with society wrapped in a bow of tree rodents.

You are making that one up, right?
Squirrel hate is strong here too:

"A Sad Story
For the last three weeks a mother-to-be Blue Jay was working diligently to build her nest in a safe place. She selected the top part of one of our ligustrum bushes outside our dining room bay window. It was a very thickly area with twigs and branches all about. She labored to get all those nest parts inside, which took a monumental effort. Due to its location we were able to follow her progress. Finally, she laid her eggs and sat on them for days on end. Sometime between last Friday and Saturday, her eggs hatched. She didn’t mind us looking through at her and it looked like she had three chicks. Around 2:00 on Sunday, she left to get food, or whatever and my wife saw a squirrel hovered over the nest. She ran out to shoo him off but, alas, the damage was done. When mother bird returned she frantically searched all over for her family. She looked in the bushes and the ground but they were gone. By Sunday evening, I think she realized her babies met with tragedy and so she never came back.

After all the work and expectations of mother Blue Jay in one split second, her whole family was wiped out. Motherhood came to abrupt end. I didn’t think squirrels ate birds but believe me….they do."

3 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

I live in SW Florida so a lot of people in my community are retired have nothing better to do than get involved with other people's business. However, last week i got an email from next door with the subject line "Baby Ducks Killed". I though someone may have run over one of the families of duck in the neighborhood by mistake, nope. It seems that a family of duck landed in one guys pool and instead of lifting the ducklings out of the pool the guy drowned them. His neighbor heard the mother duck quacking and went to see what was going on, the guy said he didn't want any pets so he killed the ducklings.

Well the neighbor called the cops on the guy, when the cops arrived he denied it, but the found five dead ducklings in his bushes. He is now facing felony animal cruelty and endangerment charges and they are trying to determine the species of ducks as it may be a federally protected species, so federal charges are pending. So he may be facing jail time, I believe he is also a Canadian snow bird and if he gets a felony he may not be allowed back into the USA.

The morning after someone put some rubber ducks on his driveway with a note clearly written by a kid saying "Get your Ducks in a Row Sir", the duck killer has since put up cameras on his property.

Now the neighbor who reported him is losing her shit, she planted 5 crosses in her front yard as a memorial to the duck, which are no down. I am pretty sure the HOA told her to remove them.

Why am I not surprised this all happened in Florida?  But man, your neighborhood sounds cool af.

We have a new development planned near the neighborhood on a tract of land that has been scheduled for development for at least 15 years.  Nextdoor people have lost their minds.

God no! Can't we leave some land undeveloped for once?

So sad to see them scrape away all the trees and habitat for wildlife. We need to keep the land natural. If anything, a few trails to enjoy the land. There is already way too much development.

This is exactly why Deer and Coyotes and many other animals are unable to live in the undeveloped land they were born on. "Human Greed" !!!! SMH!!!

Pretty ironic how many people complain about developing the "natural environment" live in a subdivision built on what once was a "natural environment" lol

Thanks Derek for your wisdom, and yes we do live on what was once undeveloped land. However, I will speak for myself my complaint is enough is enough. I have experienced this behavior before it's called over development. Therefore, I will continue to complain about this form of human greed. Smh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Possibly because NextDoor started cracking down when a bunch of old white people constantly posted about suspicious looking black people roaming their neighborhoods.

Let's see:

-adopt a dog. Puppy needs a home

-someone selling pins

-free flat stone from some guys porch renovation 

-WTC commemorative sculpture for sale ($100)

-some mom want to add a bus stop closer to her house-how does she do that?

-people's cat has been attacked multiple times somewhat severely. What could it be?

-ISP/cable provider recommendations 

-found black kitten

-someone tried to block my ally gate: "Some jerk tried to block my alley gate by propping a stone up against it. Has anyone else experienced this or am I bring targeted? Photo is from after I loosened the stone tile."

• Like 1

The other thing I see really often are people looking for a back house rental, but then say their budget is $1,000 or less (FWIW, $1,000/mo gets you a studio apt in East L.A.).  Anybody who suggests that they have unreasonable expectations is slammed for supporting greedy landlords and property owners.  The rent is too damn high!

This was an odd one I got the other day...

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018, the Fort Worth Police Department SWAT Section will be conducting training in the area of 900 N Bailey St. roughly between the hours of 0930 and 1200. Residents will notice an increase in police presence in the area. Signs will be posted to indicate police training is taking place. We ask that residents not be alarmed if loud sounds are heard in the area. Residents should expect to hear sounds similar to a small explosion, or possibly gunfire, but these will be kept to a minimum and will only last for 3-5 minutes at a set time during the training.

My neighborhood is so shitty, people post on Nextdoor freaking out when they see a dog on a leash. 

We have one lady who rants whenever someone posts and refers to it being the 'hood, as if that is what is keeping her property value down. Yep, the illegal immigrant family of 20 with 8 cars went searching Nextdoor to find their new home. 

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

-someone tried to block my ally gate: "Some jerk tried to block my alley gate by propping a stone up against it. Has anyone else experienced this or am I bring targeted? Photo is from after I loosened the stone tile."

You should tell them that it's a gang initiation.

Edited by You don't know me
Because I didn't know how the quote thingy worked.

Both for our gutter work & roofing, I've had customers tell me they got a referral via NextDoor.  Where we live, it's often 1/4 mile or more between gates so it's not like I can get on there to respond to comments or referrals... & Even then, I have figured out that it's limited to the area where YOU live & even if I was on ND, I can't connect into other areas or neighborhoods.

That duck shit had me rolling. Especially the crosses.

I got kicked off of next door for "not using my real name". I was using my real address and something very close to my real name and had no issues for months but then when one day I made a comment about the busy bodies being "a bunch of old angry white people", and next thing I know my access is gone and I have an email from Nextdoor saying I was banned for not using my real name.

I had to delete the app. I just don't want to know exactly how stupid and insane my neighbors are. There were the predictable "be on alert, suspicious looking character walking down the street. wearing hoodie and backpack. looks like he's not from the neighborhood" (that means black). One of my favorites was the great drone debate where people thought drones were being used to take videos of them getting out of the shower or changing clothes. A handful of those people (probably not people you want to see naked) were threatening to shoot the drones down with shotguns. That then made people upset about the threat of illegal discharge of firearms within the neighborhood. It was an absolute shit show. 

• Like 1

One of the rare positives I've gotten from NDN is the old guy a block over who posts crazy shit just to get people riled up. I know the guy and he's awesome, and he loves stirring the pot. At one point he reported that the city was going to combat the Japanese beetle infestation by using drones with chemical deployment. He wrote it up in a convincing way, especially if you were a dumbass. The outrage and hand-wringing was awesome to witness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I had to delete the app. I just don't want to know exactly how stupid and insane my neighbors are. There were the predictable "be on alert, suspicious looking character walking down the street. wearing hoodie and backpack. looks like he's not from the neighborhood" (that means black). One of my favorites was the great drone debate where people thought drones were being used to take videos of them getting out of the shower or changing clothes. A handful of those people (probably not people you want to see naked) were threatening to shoot the drones down with shotguns. That then made people upset about the threat of illegal discharge of firearms within the neighborhood. It was an absolute shit show. 

Every time anyone shoots off fireworks in our neighborhood (except 4th of July proper and New Year's Eve), you get the inevitable 3 or 4 "Gunshots!" posts.

12 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

One of the rare positives I've gotten from NDN is the old guy a block over who posts crazy shit just to get people riled up. I know the guy and he's awesome, and he loves stirring the pot. At one point he reported that the city was going to combat the Japanese beetle infestation by using drones with chemical deployment. He wrote it up in a convincing way, especially if you were a dumbass. The outrage and hand-wringing was awesome to witness.

I don't have the Next Door app but I may have to get it just to have the same kind of fun.

Yes, the "undeveloped land" angle.  It's ripe for hand-wringing.

At one point we bought a lot on Cat Mountain.  It was pretty much the last available parcel within miles.  Steep, difficult to build on, completely overgrown, but theoretically a good price per acre.  (No shit.  It was not for the faint of heart.)

So I personally did the basic design of a house and then hired a friend (UT Arch grad) to turn it into something buildable.  Periodically I had to go before the "architectural review board" for the neighborhood, which pretty much rubber-stamped what I wanted to do, since I wasn't running afoul of city codes.

Final review, some old lady starts yapping about all kinds of stuff.  I had never seen her before.  The head of the panel kept politely shooting her down, but eventually she said "well I just don't know why you need such a big house, it's not right".  (Design was ~ 3,300 sf.)  At that point the chair said "honey, you really need to stop interrupting, they're not doing anything wrong."

It was his wife.

So the conversation continued for a bit longer, I got the distinct feeling that I was not safe in breaking ground, and eventually left with the understanding that final approval would be decided soon.  In the meantime we found our dream house nearby, for a higher build grade than we had planned on, and jumped on it, and sold the lot.

To this day that lot is not fully developed -- 12 years later.  It has a shell of a house on it that some poor sucker probably thought would go through.  It's not even the guy I sold it to.

• Like 1