Chet Holmgren- Basketball's Next Unicorn?

Goo Punch

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Whoever our center is gonna get abused

Going to say it might be a little early to write the team off this early with a freshman that has played one game. Yes, he’s a stud but don’t think he has been pushed around yet and I’m sure that’s a big part of what beard has been working on. I’m guessing Mitchell/Allen will probably be on him and hopefully can try to limit him to outside shots that don’t fall. Sadly I think it’s the Texas timme that’s going to be the big issue.

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

2 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Going to say it might be a little early to write the team off this early with a freshman that has played one game. Yes, he’s a stud but don’t think he has been pushed around yet and I’m sure that’s a big part of what beard has been working on. I’m guessing Mitchell/Allen will probably be on him and hopefully can try to limit him to outside shots that don’t fall. Sadly I think it’s the Texas timme that’s going to be the big issue.

if they can get some of that Draymond Green into whoever is guarding Chet then we'll be fine.  Bump the skinny ass around all night should be the plan.

KD had a much better handle than this kid. And a MUCH sweeter looking stroke.  But Holmgren looks to have more natural defensive instincts.  

I'm personally not ready to anoint this kid yet. He isn't playing in high school anymore.  We will see how he does with physical 22 yr olds (much less grown men in the NBA).

You play as a team. Make it tough on the entry passes. Pressure the ball outside. Put a body on him every chance you get. Get the ball inside and put your shoulder into him and draw fouls. Shut down the lane. Play solid defense on the other guys on the court. This is a winnable game but it's still early especially for this team and the season is a marathon not a sprint.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 11:51 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

To put it in perspective, Kevin Durant and Brandon Ingram were rail thin when they were drafted and they outweighed this dude by over 20 pounds.

Brilliant post by a brilliant poster.

Let's all drop the Kevin Durant comparisons.  He averaged 26/11 at the same age.  Just because some dude is tall and can shoot and handle doesn't make him Durant 2.0.

As for these 7+ footers who are really skinny, they rarely put on weight.  They pretty much are what they are.  (This goes for the French kid, too.)  It's highly unlikely either of them end up at 250 lbs and even at 225, that's really slight for 7 feet.  Dirk was listed at 237 when he was drafted at 19 so him putting on 10+ lbs was reasonable.  No matter what trainers do with their training and diet, they never put on weight.

Meanwhile, Paolo is already 6'10" and 250 lbs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Brilliant post by a brilliant poster.

Let's all drop the Kevin Durant comparisons.  He averaged 26/11 at the same age.  Just because some dude is tall and can shoot and handle doesn't make him Durant 2.0.

As for these 7+ footers who are really skinny, they rarely put on weight.  They pretty much are what they are.  (This goes for the French kid, too.)  It's highly unlikely either of them end up at 250 lbs and even at 225, that's really slight for 7 feet.  Dirk was listed at 237 when he was drafted at 19 so him putting on 10+ lbs was reasonable.  No matter what trainers do with their training and diet, they never put on weight.

One more reason the Greek Freak is, indeed, a freak of nature….

5 hours ago, Ignatius said:

One more reason the Greek Freak is, indeed, a freak of nature….

IF you read any of the excerpts of the Giannis book his lack of weight entering the NBA was due to malnutrition so his relative size now is a totally different issue. When the Hawks' doctors looked at him they said his bone development was that of a 14 year old despite being 17 or 18 at the time. And a when a set of Greek doctors first looked at his liver function they thought they were looking at the lab results of an old man who was a raging alcoholic. Giannis' story is truly miraculous. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's like Ben Simmons if Ben SImmons was good and also slow and physically frail. Hard to crystal ball this one.

He is nothing like Ben Simmons what the fuck are you smoking dude. 

He's a shooter and post defender with good ball skills. Simmons is a perimeter defender and facilitator. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think he will do fine in the NBA overall. Only a couple of teams have players that I think will give him fits it isn't like he is playing in the 80s or 90s when centers ruled the league.

I do expect his career to be short as it seems like 7 footers always break down faster.

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He is nothing like Ben Simmons what the fuck are you smoking dude. 

He's a shooter and post defender with good ball skills. Simmons is a perimeter defender and facilitator. 

That's what I said, if Ben Simmons was good aka nothing like Ben Simmons

It doesn't land if you make me explain the joke!!!

Edited by Brian Fantana

I mean.... It's summer league. I once saw Marco Belineli score like 40 or something ridiculous in his summer league debut. I thought he was the next Larry Bird. 

That said, Holmgren's skill set for his size is pretty crazy. He also deferred a ton at Gonzaga so it wasn't just the college game but his role as well. I don't really think that his body won't hold up. Skinny guys don't seem to be as injury prone. It's more about his adding strength and bulk.