Chet Holmgren- Basketball's Next Unicorn?

Goo Punch

On 7/6/2022 at 1:46 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

His wiry frame itself is nothing to worry about, in my professional opinion. 

On 7/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

NBA superstars are going the way of NFL QB’s…unless they hurt themselves, you’re not gonna see them out for injuries - at least injuries like in the past where you just constantly bashed a star into submission (or tried)…see Jordan rules.  

I don’t hate on LeBron at all but it’s insane that even at his size you can barely get physical with him.  Makes the job at hand nearly impossible…

So Chet can land on a guy and turn an ankle but he’s better off doing that with his frame vs Oden type size and acromegaly issues.  

Maybe

• Haha 1

again though, that entire event was canceled in the 2Q because the floor was wet and was considered too dangerous to play on. it's easy to just say that he's frail, but it could have just been a freak accident due to the shitty playing surface. either way, like most of you, i'm leaning towards him possibly never being the same/dealing with injuries his entire career now. i feel pretty terrible for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

again though, that entire event was canceled in the 2Q because the floor was wet and was considered too dangerous to play on. it's easy to just say that he's frail, but it could have just been a freak accident due to the shitty playing surface. either way, like most of you, i'm leaning towards him possibly never being the same/dealing with injuries his entire career now. i feel pretty terrible for him.

Yeah, no reason to shit on him and this does seem to have been a freak accident rather than anything related to his anatomy. I hope he can recover but this specific injury is a tough one to recover from.

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Mason, Oakley, and Mahorn wouldn’t even make a roster now.  Laimbeer maybe because he could kind of shoot.

Different eras and different games.  The stars could play in either ere but the role players can’t.

Au contraire mon frere, Mason was more than just a goon. He could handle the ball and defend. He was doing Draymond shit years before.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

How is a ligament tear going to lead to him never being the same?  It reads like it’s not bone or frame related and certainly not back problems.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Embid broke his foot multiple times and he’s reasonably fine.  Chet just tore a ligament.

LOL. Joel Embiid missed the first two years of his career due to foot injuries. this past year he played a career high 68 games. in his career he's played 328 of a possible 647 regular season games. Embiid is a prime example of a big man with foot injuries hurting his career.

• Hook 'Em 4

Honestly thought Embiid would be a bust coming out of college. 0% due to anything basketball- just health.

The fact he's even played 328 games is a miracle. Was a high variance pick and he hit his ceiling. Great draft pick even with the injuries.

I was always skeptical of Chet but even I would have taken him #2 overall. Just too much potential to pass on and the NBA is all about finding a superstar not B and C tier players. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

LOL. Joel Embiid missed the first two years of his career due to foot injuries. this past year he played a career high 68 games. in his career he's played 328 of a possible 647 regular season games. Embiid is a prime example of a big man with foot injuries hurting his career.

Yes, Emibd has had an awful career.  Same with Blake Griffin and Ben Simmons, who both missed their entire rookie seasons due to injury.

Do you have an actual medical opinion here?

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Honestly thought Embiid would be a bust coming out of college. 0% due to anything basketball- just health.

The fact he's even played 328 games is a miracle. Was a high variance pick and he hit his ceiling. Great draft pick even with the injuries.

I was always skeptical of Chet but even I would have taken him #2 overall. Just too much potential to pass on and the NBA is all about finding a superstar not B and C tier players. 

Yeah, he had some injury problems in college, if I remember right, and he missed his entire rookie year due to injury and has had some injuries since then.  People though the Sixers were insane to give that contract but he's been relatively healthy.  

Chet doesn't have a history of injury like say, Michael Porter, and this one doesn't seem relative to his frame.  He tore a ligament on what seems to be a slippery floor.  Unfortunate, yes, but a premonition of a injury riddled career?  Let's pump the breaks on that.

you keep bringing up that it's a ligament injury as if that's somehow an indication that he might not be injury prone, when the opposite is true. injury prone guys tend to suffer soft tissue, non contact injuries, which is what Chet did here. his profession is just about ad demanding on human feet as any profession in the world. there's a reason that you're alone on the "let's not speculate about his future" campaign. 

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you keep bringing up that it's a ligament injury as if that's somehow an indication that he might not be injury prone, when the opposite is true. injury prone guys tend to suffer soft tissue, non contact injuries, which is what Chet did here. his profession is just about ad demanding on human feet as any profession in the world. there's a reason that you're alone on the "let's not speculate about his future" campaign. 

I'm not in a "camp."  I'm asking questions.  Chet has never been injured his entire life.  The French guy has.  Greg Oden also had a fracture.  These other big men have had problems with their frames/skeletons.  Chet's is different.  What makes him different?  Serious question. 

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm not in a "camp."  I'm asking questions.  Chet has never been injured his entire life.  The French guy has.  Greg Oden also had a fracture.  These other big men have had problems with their frames/skeletons.  Chet's is different.  What makes him different?  Serious question. 

Chet is 19 years old. it's not like he's 25 and he's just been injured for the first time ever, he's a teenager who just suffered a major foot injury before ever playing his first NBA game. history says that's a major blow to a guy's prospects. forgive the rest of us for questioning if this is a bad harbinger for things to come. 

also, while i personally don't have anything medically substantive to contribute re: foot injuries in basketball players, i can tell you that Todd Wright preaches how important the feet are, pointing out that about 1/4 of the bones in your body are in your feet. ive been in classes with him where he's detailed how foot injuries- or worse yet, things like improperly walking as a child- have totally derailed many a player's career due to the domino effect that it had on the rest of these players bodies.

any UT fans here remember the regression of James Thomas during his time at Texas? Wright told us that due to the way JT walked as a kid that his whole hip/lower back/spine area was out of alignment and had caused serious issues. Coach said that JT had to run down the court with one arm at his side otherwise his hip would pop out. it's that serious.

so yeah- i'm not foot expert by a long shot, but my mentor is, and he'll be the first to tell you that a basketball player's feet and their health mean more to him than most people realize.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 2

Soft tissue injuries tend to be much more damaging for athletes than broken bones. Broken fibula or acl? Fractured wrist or ulnar ligament tear? Any structure that relies on elasticity and tensile strength to resist and respond to dynamic forces in various vectors is going to be more difficult to recover than a static structure. 

Edited by Llogg

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is such a weird hill to die on but I guess that's the Surly way.

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He doesn’t have a bunch of weight constantly putting pressure on his feet that guys like Eaton, smits, and oden had?

It’s not just heavy guys. Never has been. Foot injuries for tall guys have always been a problem in the nba and often are chronic and detail careers. 

23 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  Chet can blame me.  Embrace the tank OKC.  

Remember upthread where I was arguing with you because my reading comprehension sucks and we were actually saying the same thing? I'd like to take all of that back and remind you that you are an idiot sooner that doesn't know shit. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Remember upthread where I was arguing with you because my reading comprehension sucks and we were actually saying the same thing? I'd like to take all of that back and remind you that you are an idiot sooner that doesn't know shit. 

I couldn’t use my super powers for good.  I’ll praise Watson and the Browns next.  They’re super bowl bound…

Why do some on this thread assume a torn ligament, which is avascular and has fewer endogenous progenitor/repair cells than bone, would heal faster or stronger than a fractured bone??? Big guys with a lot of weight can have trouble with foot bone fractures healing properly, but Chet weighs about as much as your average high school freshman. I think he’d prefer a broken bone over a torn ligament in any of his extremities. 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

He doesn’t have a bunch of weight constantly putting pressure on his feet that guys like Eaton, smits, and oden had?

But at some point he's probably going to add 10-30 pounds to his frame for rebounding/defense. Which may cause more problems.

Just based on that frame I figured the injuries were only a matter of time. Didn't expect it this early though.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

And he wasn’t fake tough.  Even today at 50, he would beat the ever living shit out of Draydouche.  

Ah, another Draymond fan, I see.  I can't stand that fucking guy.  He should foul out of every game he plays, but his whole game is premised on the idea that they can't foul him out of every game.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Mason, Oakley, and Mahorn wouldn’t even make a roster now.  Laimbeer maybe because he could kind of shoot.

Different eras and different games.  The stars could play in either ere but the role players can’t.

Jesus fuck, this is so wrong.

• 1 year later...

I watched him play in college for about 10 minutes so I'm surprised about how athletic he is and how good of a finisher he is.  I remember one of the scouting reports said he was limited in college because all Drew Timme could do was stand in the post with his arms in the air, which clogged the lane and forced Chet outside.  That turned out to be correct.  Much better scorer than Jabari in that same class.  Also a borderline elite shooter and much better shooter than Wemby, quite frankly.

Also this:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also a borderline elite shooter and much better shooter than Wemby, quite frankly.

He's almost 2 years older than Wemby. Wemby is better from the stripe than Chet was at Gonzaga on higher volume. (and Wemby was even better on higher volume than that last season in France)

They'll likely wind up being similar shooters.

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's almost 2 years older than Wemby. Wemby is better from the stripe than Chet was at Gonzaga on higher volume. (and Wemby was even better on higher volume than that last season in France)

They'll likely wind up being similar shooters.

I was wondering about Wemby.  One of the knocks on his scouting report that he wasn't a great 3 point shooter and that's kind of played out so far.  Is he just a bad shooter or will it even out over a season?  

6 hours ago, Kermit said:

He’s fucking awesome. Love watching these skinny dudes play center and prove everyone wrong about their durability and strength. 

Well, he did miss all of what should have been his rookie year with an injury.  Let's not start sucking his dick just yet.  He's damn good, but can he stay healthy?  Remains to be seen.

28 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I was wondering about Wemby.  One of the knocks on his scouting report that he wasn't a great 3 point shooter and that's kind of played out so far.  Is he just a bad shooter or will it even out over a season?  

Have you watched him play or are you just looking at %s? 

Maybe I should say - have you watched the Spurs (try and) play offense?

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Well, he did miss all of what should have been his rookie year with an injury.  Let's not start sucking his dick just yet.  He's damn good, but can he stay healthy?  Remains to be seen.

Pretty sure I can’t reach his dick, so I’ve got that going for me.

• Haha 1