Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, workswithseed said:

It's telling that you scream when someone is in your 6ft perimeter.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

It's telling that you scream when someone is in your 6ft perimeter.

Just pointing out what an asshole you are. But not to worry, fellow asshole Johnny Sack has taken time away from paying to watch rats fuck and has got your back. 

There's still a fair number of us non-Democrats in CR.  I gotta admit, the comedy is pretty good over there.  Better than most threads.  

I know it's still not completely over the blue deep-end because there's still a dozen or so posters that hate me because I think Hillary sucks cocks in hell.  If that's not a sign of balance, I don't know what is.  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Admit it you enjoyed it. Made you feel better about yourself. 

No doubt. Went and threw a party, streamers and everything, great call.

No I actually felt kinda bad for her for not #trustingthescience. Or maybe it’s #understandingthescience? She clearly isn’t informed and is losing her shit. 

In either case, we can still laugh at her just like we can and should laugh at the people of Walmart having a hissyfit about wearing a mask.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Just pointing out what an asshole you are. But not to worry, fellow asshole Johnny Sack has taken time away from paying to watch rats fuck and has got your back. 

I should look at the Karen thread. And fuck yeah, I'm an asshole, but cry more. Hell, you can't say you're not an asshole, dumbass

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

No doubt. Went and threw a party, streamers and everything, great call.

No I actually felt kinda bad for her for not #trustingthescience. Or maybe it’s #understandingthescience? She clearly isn’t informed and is losing her shit. 

In either case, we can still laugh at her just like we can and should laugh at the people of Walmart having a hissyfit about wearing a mask.

I don’t laugh at either. I feel sorry for both. And I certainly don’t post videos on the net of people clearly losing their shit for whatever dumb reason. Mask or no mask.  Mental illness or not. I know it will happen anyway. But I’m not gonna participate. I didn’t even click on your video but I can obviously guess what it shows based on subsequent posts. 

To return to the mental health topic. Data from one hospital, but hard to imagine all these single studies may not point to a trend:
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/04/06/suicide-leading-cause-traumatic-death-young-patients-texas-hospital/

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) — Suicide surpassed car wrecks and child abuse as the leading cause of traumatic death in 2020 at Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth.

The trend doctors described as ‘alarming’ when it emerged last year, is happening at an even more frequent rate in 20

In March, the hospital admitted 43 children after suicide attempts. The new record broke the previous high of 40, set in January. Many of the patients are girls, between 14 and 15 years old, although pediatricians have reported impacts to children as young as seven.

The isolation, loneliness and stress of the pandemic is leaving children feeling hopeless, doctors say, and ready to just give up.

“It’s hard to see that things are going to get better, if you’re only in your room doing virtual school,” said Dr. Kristen Pyrc, the co-medical director of psychiatry at Cook. “You don’t talk to anyone else. You’re so isolated it’s hard to see things will ever change or get better because you only see what’s around you.”

The children’s health care system first noted the trend in August, after admitting suicide patients at the rate of almost one every day. It was happening as school districts debated the safety of students returning to classrooms.

Doctors said the delayed return to a normal life, left some children with a sense of hopelessness. It was heightened they said by social media that filled the lack of in-person connections.

By the end of 2020, seven suicide patients had died at Cook. That number does not include children who died before being admitted to the hospital.

Those same pandemic pressures are likely largely to blame now, Pyrc explained, with children who are isolated often seeing some aspects of life that have resumed, happen without them, in real time on social media.

“Their friends are so important for their development and for their happiness, and then all of that’s been curtailed or changed,” she said. “They’re just very here and now in their thinking and so for a lot of teens, here and now is terrible and they’re feeling hopeless and they just give up.”

The 118 suicide attempts among the hospital’s patients through March, are closing on in the 2015 total of 144. 103 of those patients so far this year, have been girls.

There have been 442 consults for children at risk through the first three months of the year, 60-percent more than during the same period last year.

At the same time psychiatric care resources for children continue to lag behind the demand, according to the health care system. It’s not uncommon for a dozen patients to be waiting for room in a psychiatric facility. The waitlist just to see a counselor at Cook can be as high as 250 days.

Cook Children’s plans to launch a campaign this month, aimed at slowing down the trend. The JOY campaign, an acronym for Just breath, Open up and You matter, will try to impress on children that the pandemic experience is temporary. It will also address over-the-counter medications, social media and the impact of suicide on parents and siblings.

Dr. Pyrc said while it’s normal for teenagers to be withdrawn, parents should be aware of warning signs like a lack of engagement or interest even in the smallest things they typically enjoy.

She is hopeful the trend can be reversed.

Edited by Kyle

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's not really the masks or the elevator thing in this case.  The girl seems like she's just wired that way.  She would gotten like that had it been about a parking space, or a shopping cart, or a comment she overheard you make at a coffee shop, etc.  99% of us spew stuff on here anonymously...but in the end...if we felt boxed, we'd just quietly hop off when that person got on and wait for another car.  As we enter month 15 of this shitshow, I'm genuinely surprised, and even a bit proud of our nation, that more of these instances haven't occurred.  

I say fuck the person who couldn't wear their mask correctly and decided to video the whole thing. Yeah, the red head has some issues, but the one that decided to video it and make it public is a huge fucking cunt. 

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I don’t laugh at either. I feel sorry for both. And I certainly don’t post videos on the net of people clearly losing their shit for whatever dumb reason. Mask or no mask.  Mental illness or not. I know it will happen anyway. But I’m not gonna participate. I didn’t even click on your video but I can obviously guess what it shows based on subsequent posts. 

Oh look at JimmyJames sitting on his cloud of judgement handing down life lessons to all the sinners...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

We miss you in the cloak room. Where you been? 

Yeah you should go to the CR. It’s a great place. If you post something where the media or a D is being dishonest, you get But Trump lied. What exactly is the point to posting over there for someone that is not in line with the orthodoxy?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that girl is the living embodiment of Cartman.

The big irony here being new studies are indicating 3ft is every bit as safe as 6ft

3ft vs 6

Student case rates were similar in the 242 districts with ≥3 feet versus ≥6 feet of physical distancing between students (IRR, 0.891, 95% CI, 0.594-1.335); results were similar after adjusting for community incidence (adjusted IRR, 0.904, 95% CI, 0.616-1.325). Cases among school staff in districts with ≥3 feet versus ≥6 feet of physical distancing were also similar (IRR, 1.015, 95% CI, 0.754-1.365).

Conclusions

Lower physical distancing policies can be adopted in school settings with masking mandates without negatively impacting student or staff safety.

16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

To return to the mental health topic. Data from one hospital, but hard to imagine all these single studies may not point to a trend:
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/04/06/suicide-leading-cause-traumatic-death-young-patients-texas-hospital/

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) — Suicide surpassed car wrecks and child abuse as the leading cause of traumatic death in 2020 at Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth.

The trend doctors described as ‘alarming’ when it emerged last year, is happening at an even more frequent rate in 20

In March, the hospital admitted 43 children after suicide attempts. The new record broke the previous high of 40, set in January. Many of the patients are girls, between 14 and 15 years old, although pediatricians have reported impacts to children as young as seven.

The isolation, loneliness and stress of the pandemic is leaving children feeling hopeless, doctors say, and ready to just give up.

“It’s hard to see that things are going to get better, if you’re only in your room doing virtual school,” said Dr. Kristen Pyrc, the co-medical director of psychiatry at Cook. “You don’t talk to anyone else. You’re so isolated it’s hard to see things will ever change or get better because you only see what’s around you.”

The children’s health care system first noted the trend in August, after admitting suicide patients at the rate of almost one every day. It was happening as school districts debated the safety of students returning to classrooms.

Doctors said the delayed return to a normal life, left some children with a sense of hopelessness. It was heightened they said by social media that filled the lack of in-person connections.

By the end of 2020, seven suicide patients had died at Cook. That number does not include children who died before being admitted to the hospital.

Those same pandemic pressures are likely largely to blame now, Pyrc explained, with children who are isolated often seeing some aspects of life that have resumed, happen without them, in real time on social media.

“Their friends are so important for their development and for their happiness, and then all of that’s been curtailed or changed,” she said. “They’re just very here and now in their thinking and so for a lot of teens, here and now is terrible and they’re feeling hopeless and they just give up.”

The 118 suicide attempts among the hospital’s patients through March, are closing on in the 2015 total of 144. 103 of those patients so far this year, have been girls.

There have been 442 consults for children at risk through the first three months of the year, 60-percent more than during the same period last year.

At the same time psychiatric care resources for children continue to lag behind the demand, according to the health care system. It’s not uncommon for a dozen patients to be waiting for room in a psychiatric facility. The waitlist just to see a counselor at Cook can be as high as 250 days.

Cook Children’s plans to launch a campaign this month, aimed at slowing down the trend. The JOY campaign, an acronym for Just breath, Open up and You matter, will try to impress on children that the pandemic experience is temporary. It will also address over-the-counter medications, social media and the impact of suicide on parents and siblings.

Dr. Pyrc said while it’s normal for teenagers to be withdrawn, parents should be aware of warning signs like a lack of engagement or interest even in the smallest things they typically enjoy.

She is hopeful the trend can be reversed.

Haven't we already shown that suicides were down in 2020 over the previous 3-4 years?  I know someone posted the stats a day or two ago.

Here it is:  https://www.axios.com/suicide-decreased-in-2020-pandemmic-mental-health-26196eaf-a245-4d21-85eb-eeb864a24449.html

Our little snowflakes are not killing themselves because they can't visit their friends.  Shit, mine talk to their friends more online than they do in person.

Edited by Chewbacca

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yeah you should go to the CR. It’s a great place. If you post something where the media or a D is being dishonest, you get But Trump lied. What exactly is the point to posting over there for someone that is not in line with the orthodoxy?

Actually I specifically got, you don’t get to talk about that.

CR participants love policing people all over this site. A wonderful set of hall monitors. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I say fuck the person who couldn't wear their mask correctly and decided to video the whole thing. Yeah, the red head has some issues, but the one that decided to video it and make it public is a huge fucking cunt. 

You give every person in the country the capacity to record and post every facet of their lives and we are surprised it becomes a race to the bottom? 

Film at 11....

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Haven't we already shown that suicides were down in 2020 over the previous 3-4 years?  I know someone posted the stats a day or two ago.

It was posted, and the reactions were highly, highly suspect and do not reflect a year's worth of feedback from almost every suicide hotline, LE/fire response feedback that it was substantially higher.  The CDC data also conveniently saw a 20K spike in "unintentional injuries" that I think saw a change in attribution and many deaths recategorized.  

IF we're truly worried about suicide increases, we should try to curb the way by which most people commit suicide, no?  

I am worried about Covid-19 deaths, so I try to help curb transmission in my community.  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It was posted, and the reactions were highly, highly suspect and do not reflect a year's worth of feedback from almost every suicide hotline, LE/fire response feedback that it was substantially higher.  The CDC data also conveniently saw a 20K spike in "unintentional injuries" that I think saw a change in attribution and many deaths recategorized.  

So when do we trust the CDC and when do we decide they are an organization with a political agenda?  Curious so I know when to pile on them and when to pat them on the back...

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So when do we trust the CDC and when do we decide they are an organization with a political agenda?  Curious so I know when to pile on them and when to pat them on the back...

Attribution changes and recategorization happen all the time.  I remember when GDP was lagging after the crash of '08 and they just added in R&D expenditures to "revenue"....viola!  It raised the GDP calculations by roughly .50bps overnight. 

This isn't exactly a new or unique phenomenon....especially with the admission of the article that the data is only preliminary.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Attribution changes and recategorization happen all the time.  I remember when GDP was lagging after the crash of '08 and they just added in R&D expenditures to "revenue"....viola!  It raised the GDP calculations by roughly .50bps overnight. 

This isn't exactly a new or unique phenomenon....especially with the admission of the article that the data is only preliminary.

The CDC calculates GDP, too? Damn, what can't they do?

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The CDC calculates GDP, too? Damn, what can't they do?

Pretty sure you're smart enough to know this happens all the time, across countless industry types - public and private.  Jesus, the whole CBO process operates in this manner.  

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Here it is:  https://www.axios.com/suicide-decreased-in-2020-pandemmic-mental-health-26196eaf-a245-4d21-85eb-eeb864a24449.html

Our little snowflakes are not killing themselves because they can't visit their friends.  Shit, mine talk to their friends more online than they do in person.

Based on the provisional cause of death data, suicides do appear to have gone down overall.  What that axios piece doesn't show, but is shown in the JAMA manuscript (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778234) is that unintentional injuries (which includes drug overdose) substantially increased (+6k from 2018 to 2019, +19k from 2019 to 2020; compared to -800, -3k for suicide). To the point regarding impacts on children and other subgroups...I think that we need some additional cuts of the data.  Let's see rates among children and adolescents, and also rates by race and geographic region. The death certificate data is certainly informative of the overall trends in these categories, but there is still a whole lot to unpack. 

Here is an analysis out of Maryland showing increased suicides among blacks during early pandemic closures: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2774107

Mortality rates among whites went down during all post-COVID periods (lockdown, reopening). Rates among blacks where increased during shutdown and normalized during reopening phase.

m_yld200015f1_1616513435.30339.png?Expir

And here is an analysis from a pediatric ED: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/147/3/e2020029280

CONCLUSIONS: Rates of suicide ideation and attempts were higher during some months of 2020 as compared with 2019 but were not universally higher across this period. Months with significantly higher rates of suicide-related behaviors appear to correspond to times when COVID-19–related stressors and community responses were heightened, indicating that youth experienced elevated distress during these periods. 

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Stop a pandemic with a bunch of dumbasses running around. Or fix Texas basketball. 

If there is one thing we have learned in the past 12 months, it's that there are a lot more stupid people in America than I ever imagined and they strongly believe in their own stupidity.  They revel in it.  Because they saw a video on Youtube and some Facebook posts.  They've done the research!  Never mind the fact  that most barely passed HS science and wouldn't know how to do research if their lives depended on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The big irony here being new studies are indicating 3ft is every bit as safe as 6ft

3ft vs 6

maybe cartman can mount the stick in the middle on a helmet and put it on his head.  like a propeller hat.

yeah I saw the 3 foot thing and my first thought is why 3? why not 4, why not 2.5?  the answer.  everyone has a yard stick.

of course the 6 foot was because the average height of a male is about 5'9" which also about the distance of both your arms stretched out to the side.

easy to measure or....science!

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Based on the provisional cause of death data, suicides do appear to have gone down overall.  What that axios piece doesn't show, but is shown in the JAMA manuscript (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778234) is that unintentional injuries (which includes drug overdose) substantially increased (+6k from 2018 to 2019, +19k from 2019 to 2020; compared to -800, -3k for suicide). To the point regarding impacts on children and other subgroups...I think that we need some additional cuts of the data.  Let's see rates among children and adolescents, and also rates by race and geographic region. The death certificate data is certainly informative of the overall trends in these categories, but there is still a whole lot to unpack. 

Here is an analysis out of Maryland showing increased suicides among blacks during early pandemic closures: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2774107

Mortality rates among whites went down during all post-COVID periods (lockdown, reopening). Rates among blacks where increased during shutdown and normalized during reopening phase.

m_yld200015f1_1616513435.30339.png?Expir

And here is an analysis from a pediatric ED: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/147/3/e2020029280

CONCLUSIONS: Rates of suicide ideation and attempts were higher during some months of 2020 as compared with 2019 but were not universally higher across this period. Months with significantly higher rates of suicide-related behaviors appear to correspond to times when COVID-19–related stressors and community responses were heightened, indicating that youth experienced elevated distress during these periods. 

The specific argument I'm refuting is that lockdowns are harming our kids by making them kill themselves at increased rates because they can't be with their friends.  The data does not support that conclusion.  I could definitely see drug overdoses increasing as more people have sat at home with nothing to do for long stretches at a time.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The specific argument I'm refuting is that lockdowns are harming our kids by making them kill themselves at increased rates because they can't be with their friends.  The data does not support that conclusion.  I could definitely see drug overdoses increasing as more people have sat at home with nothing to do for long stretches at a time.

I don’t think it’s surprising that drug overdoses increased. Alcohol consumption was booming during lockdown. Not shocking that drugs were the same. Was that because of depression? Boredom? Nihilism? I’m sure there’s a little bit of everything.  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Seems like I can find multiple sources saying their is a link to increase child suicide due to lockdowns? Even without the data obviously locking down children, barring them from social interaction, extracurriculars, etc., is going to increase depression/anxiety, especially in children already suffering from those mental conditions. 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, lmao said:

Seems like I can find multiple sources saying their is a link to increase child suicide due to lockdowns? Even without the data obviously locking down children, barring them from social interaction, extracurriculars, etc., is going to increase depression/anxiety, especially in children already suffering from those mental conditions. 

The data does not support your hypothesis.  This is the science thing I was referring to earlier.

• Hook 'Em 3

I always wear a mask, everywhere I go in public. I do not question the efficacy of masks, in the context in which that discussion is usually held.

Rather, my question is about evolution. Because of its replication rate (more chances for beneficial mutations), the virus evolves fairly quickly, or seems so to me. When we wear masks, we inhibit the ability of the virus to replicate itself. Or in the language of the usual discussion, mask-wearing helps diminish our exposure to the virus, which is why we wear them.

But isn’t this so-called UK variant in fact the inevitable result of widespread mask wearing, given the theory of evolution?  Was it not predictable?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/6/canada-facing-very-serious-third-wave-of-pandemic-trudeau

I will continue to wear a mask. And encourage others to do the same. I don’t know what the point of this post is. It’s just something I’ve been wondering about. 

Edited by Bruno Sardine
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

I always wear a mask, everywhere I go in public. I do not question the efficacy of masks, in the context in which that discussion is usually held.

Rather, my question is about evolution. Because of its replication rate (more chances for beneficial mutations), the virus evolves fairly quickly, or seems so to me. When we wear masks, we inhibit the ability of the virus to replicate itself. Or in the language of the usual discussion, mask-wearing helps diminish our exposure to the virus, which is why we wear them.

But isn’t this so-called UK variant in fact the inevitable result of widespread mask wearing, given the theory of evolution?  Was it not predictable?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/6/canada-facing-very-serious-third-wave-of-pandemic-trudeau

I will continue to wear a mask. And encourage others to do the same. I don’t know what the point of this post is. It’s just something I’ve been wondering about. 

This is why we need to get as many needles in arms as humanly possible as fast as possible.  The virus is going to continue to mutate no matter what we do (or do not do).  People on the fence about vaccinations need to be talked into it.  Those who refuse to get one should be mercilessly mocked at every chance.  The only way to beat COVID is through herd immunity.  The only way to herd immunity is vaccinations.

• Hook 'Em 3

That pretty sums up our culture. I keep thinking the adults will step in and regain control ... but not confident at this point. Count me as tired of Karens and Betas driving everything.

One day I hope to be an alpha like Kyle.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

This is why we need to get as many needles in arms as humanly possible as fast as possible.  The virus is going to continue to mutate no matter what we do (or do not do).  People on the fence about vaccinations need to be talked into it.  Those who refuse to get one should be mercilessly mocked at every chance.  The only way to beat COVID is through herd immunity.  The only way to herd immunity is vaccinations.

This is absolutely true.  All of it.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

The data does not support your hypothesis.  This is the science thing I was referring to earlier.

Not my hypothesis. I was going off various articles from credible news sources. Take issue with them.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I agree that it would be premature to draw a conclusion.  But those data don't really get at the trends in suicide rates, ideation, or attempts among children and adolescents, nor the broader mental health impacts of the pandemic on children. Those are aggregated provisional cause of death data.  As has been demonstrated in a number of studies, including the ones I linked, the impacts of the pandemic are likely differential on a number of factors. Race, age, socioeconomic status and their interactions are the easy ones. Too early to tell, but overall trend is suicide mortality good, trend in "unintentional death" bad, lots of signals suggesting further analysis necessary, is about the extent of the conclusions at this point.

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Post them up so we can read them.

https://namica.org/blog/impact-on-the-mental-health-of-students-during-covid-19/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(20)30109-7/fulltext

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.10.21251526v1

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2773296

I guess you can be obtuse about the suicide specifics of it. But I don’t know how we  have an increase in anxiety and depression and somehow miraculously don’t have an increase in suicide rates.

Edited by Newdoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I agree that it would be premature to draw a conclusion.  But those data don't really get at the trends in suicide rates, ideation, or attempts among children and adolescents, nor the broader mental health impacts of the pandemic on children. Those are aggregated provisional cause of death data.  As has been demonstrated in a number of studies, including the ones I linked, the impacts of the pandemic are likely differential on a number of factors. Race, age, socioeconomic status and their interactions are the easy ones. Too early to tell, but overall trend is suicide mortality good, trend in "unintentional death" bad, lots of signals suggesting further analysis necessary, is about the extent of the conclusions at this point.

Agreed.

• Hook 'Em 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away