Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Seems to me that Mich did a decent job after their initial spike but ran out of steam before the vax could really be implemented.  Had a fairly flat line and then peaked in Dec.  Covid looks to have hit Mich earlier than Texas, too.  

Texas had a wave in July, then receded, then ramped up and peaked again in Jan.

Maybe Texas had more infected earlier and that number plus the vax number is giving a greater total immunity number earlier and that's why we are not spiking again?

image.png.029979a16a9ef3f414666e00b9b8c723.png

image.png.62707090ac6c919ded47fcc50ea49dfa.png

Here are the same graphs for deaths.  Deaths as a % of total population are roughly the same at ~0.17%

image.png.86a889d3203d41967b27eb6a0fcb0d04.png

image.png.5780fba247dcfd9ff82eae06f9dad69e.png

Again, if deaths continue to go down and vaxes continue to go up then I have no issues with the current plan.  Some places In Texas are yolo and some are still working masks and SD.  when i get my 2nd shot i will be comfortable going out in either environment.

40 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Meanwhile, in Canada....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-canada-sex-idUSKBN25T2Y9

“Like other activities during COVID-19 that involve physical closeness, there are some things you can do to minimize the risk of getting infected and spreading the virus,” she said.

Skip kissing, avoid face-to-face closeness, wear a mask that covers your mouth and nose, and monitor yourself and your partner for symptoms ahead of any sexual activity, Tam said.

“The lowest risk sexual activity during COVID-19 involves yourself alone,” she added.

Sounds like what's in the UK.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:08 PM, workswithseed said:

What the fuck? Tell me your ways.

This is a call back to a few months ago. But just closed a separate pediatric cardiologist bill for <50 cents on the dollar.  I love this shit.  If any of you assholes need an asshole to be an asshole and negotiate your medicals bills let me know. Latest ride I offered them $1200 on a $2200 bill and they came back and said they would close the the tab for $1065 so I need more opportunities to refine my negotiation skills. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is a call back to a few months ago. But just closed a separate pediatric cardiologist bill for <50 cents on the dollar.  I love this shit.  If any of you assholes need an asshole to be an asshole and negotiate your medicals bills let me know. Latest ride I offered them $1200 on a $2200 bill and they came back and said they would close the the tab for $1065 so I need more opportunities to refine my negotiation skills. 

8nKi.gif

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Should have offered them $800. Fuck me. 

Hey, I’ll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher’s ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn’t you rather to take his word for it?

oh, wait....FUCK!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, unfortunately the ass up part of that equation is high risk for COVID transmission due to the fecal shedding. 

What a world. 

I struggling with this ... 

The desire to know what is fecal shedding is strong. #nohomo

The abuse I will receive for asking is known. #posrep

No way I'm googling that shit. #anti-whatever

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

If you are at risk and for some reason have not been able to get the virus, figure out a way to get the vaccine and keep your ass home until you do.

How about a little societal contract group effort, so that the most vulnerable don’t have to be locked away?  Like being on wearing a mask for 30 minutes at the grocery store, so that others can shop when it is best for them with less worry. Is that too much?  Same with houses of worship. Too much?  

btw a real “lockdown” would be nobody leaves their home except for prescribed times and you can only go to these places. I don’t believe that level has happened anywhere in this country. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How about a little societal contract group effort, so that the most vulnerable don’t have to be locked away?  Like being on wearing a mask for 30 minutes at the grocery store, so that others can shop when it is best for them with less worry. Is that too much?  Same with houses of worship. Too much?  

btw a real “lockdown” would be nobody leaves their home except for prescribed times and you can only go to these places. I don’t believe that level has happened anywhere in this country. 

Exactly. That's why in heavy mask states like New York, New England, and California have seen record low cases and idiot anti-mask Trumper states are killing all the olds.

#science

Objective: The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of cloth masks to medical masks in hospital healthcare workers (HCWs). The null hypothesis is that there is no difference between medical masks and cloth masks.

Setting: 14 secondary-level/tertiary-level hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Participants: 1607 hospital HCWs aged ≥18 years working full-time in selected high-risk wards.

Intervention: Hospital wards were randomised to: medical masks, cloth masks or a control group (usual practice, which included mask wearing). Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks.

Main outcome measure: Clinical respiratory illness (CRI), influenza-like illness (ILI) and laboratory-confirmed respiratory virus infection.

Results: The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Conclusions: This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.

Edited by Kyle
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, unfortunately the ass up part of that equation is high risk for COVID transmission due to the fecal shedding. 

What a world. 

That’s why we need China’s rapid anal swab test. You’ll find out within 30-45 minutes if it’s safe to proceed. She can just wait there. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I believe California had that at some point last year...no nonessential activity outside the home, curfew etc.

Canada btw clearly enjoying their new found restriction powers over their American neighbors with a three day forced quarantine upon arrival. Oh, and Ontario? Amid their third full wave, slow vaccine roll out and limited hospital capacity has them about to enter another month long lockdown. 

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

DT brain trust is a fucking riot these days

Jan 6 insurrection led by the outgoing and losing president to "stop the steal",  overturn a fair election, and murder elected officials? Not fascism. 

A private company enforcing their terms of service on their private platform? Fascism. 

Lolk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Jan 6 insurrection led by the outgoing and losing president to "stop the steal",  overturn a fair election, and murder elected officials? Not fascism. 

A private company enforcing their terms of service on their private platform? Fascism. 

Lolk

Please go back to the Q boards you ignorant Twat, Betus Maximus.

Edited by Kyle

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

There was a flight ban with Mexico last year?  I didn't hear about that.  But a "China Travel Ban" that allows for 40,000 people to still come from there after the fact isn't really a "Ban"  

Fauci's Water Bottle.

Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, 'I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.' Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Captain Antsizedpenis: NO CR'ing in the DT THREAD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also:

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

Lolk

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

Lolk

Washpark: the CR thread has better content 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, 'I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.' Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people.

ferris bueller anyone GIF

They're going to remake "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" one day.  And he'll say he has the Covid so he can stay home from school.  Because Hollywood hates us and all that is decent.  

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

Lolk

This isn’t like that baker in Denver I think that people keep trying to make bake big gay cakes, but you knew that.  

• Fuck You 1

More about the role that extracurricular activities, in particular close contact indoor sports such as basketball and wrestling, are playing in the spread of B117 in places like Michigan...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/06/youth-sports-outbreaks-covid-testing/

Minnesota’s case numbers, which had been falling since December, recently began inching upward again.

In Nevada, the B.1.1.7 variant — which has been confirmed in several studies to be more infectious — has been linked to an outbreak at a recent youth volleyball tournament. In Michigan, cases among those ages 10 to 19 have jumped 133 percent during the past month, faster than any other age group, and the state’s leading epidemiologist said the infections seem to have been spread through activities “including sports, but not limited to sports,” rather than in the classroom.

Many of these outbreaks involving young people “are related to youth sports and extracurricular activities,” said Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at a briefing Monday. She noted that CDC guidance calls for limiting those activities and urged Americans to “please continue to hang in there and continue to do the things that we know prevent the spread.”

Officials say they believe transmission may be happening through athletic activities, rather than in the classroom, because some sports such as wrestling, basketball and volleyball involve close indoor contact. They have also wondered whether outbreaks may be triggered by related interactions such as carpooling, sleepovers and team celebrations, when people let their guard down, rather than from the practices and games themselves.

Everyone on the left seems to be in complete agreement with tech censoring views from the right because they agree with tech's position.  Problem is, as history has shown us time and time again, they will come for them in time.  They always do.  After all, everyone knows that great science is advanced and diseases are cured by silencing doctors and scientists you don't agree with

"misinformation"

This is dangerous stuff from Big Tech.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Everyone on the left seems to be in complete agreement with tech censoring views from the right because they agree with tech's position.  Problem is, as history has shown us time and time again, they will come for them in time.  They always do.  After all, everyone knows that great science is advanced and diseases are cured by silencing doctors and scientists you don't agree with

"misinformation"

Flyin' Cruz called, he wants his talking points back. Those people still can get their message out through other means - they have press offices and can host the video themselves.

Why should a private company be compelled to host content that they view as harmful? 

17 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Iirc US Government gives big tech tax subsies, right?

The government doesn't subsidize youtube you fucking chuds. Dial back the victimhood

48 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

"misinformation"

Silencing professors from let me check my notes here, Harvard, Oxford, and Stanford. That includes a couple epidemiologists. These aren’t the Houston voodoo doc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Flyin' Cruz called, he wants his talking points back. Those people still can get their message out through other means - they have press offices and can host the video themselves.

Why should a private company be compelled to host content that they view as harmful? 

The government doesn't subsidize youtube you fucking chuds. Dial back the victimhood

Google?

When a private company is aligned 100% with a certain political party and parrots out their agenda, it's no longer a "private company" when it's weaponized to silence opinions that are counter to their narrative, which is exactly what is happening.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

When a private company is aligned 100% with a certain political party and parrots out their agenda, it's no longer a "private company" when it's weaponized to silence opinions that are counter to their narrative, which is exactly what is happening.

I can see how youtube's crackdown on antivax and Qanon content could make you feel victimized

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Google?

AFAIK, they don't receive any more corporate welfare (which means tax breaks) than any other large corporation does. If you've got sourced and cited information to show otherwise I'd love to see it, but a farmer crying foul about government subsidies is always good for a laugh.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I can see how youtube's crackdown on antivax and Qanon content could make you feel victimized

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Sure, or a roundtable with Harvard, Oxford and Stanford epidemiologists.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Sure, or a roundtable with Harvard, Oxford and Stanford epidemiologists.  

Don't forget scott fucking atlas, the HCQ king! No idea why a discussion around why facemasks aren't necessary may not be something that youtube doesn't want on its platform.

Again, there's nothing stopping them from putting that talk on other platforms - it's not illegal speech. But youtube as a private entity has no compulsion or requirement to host any video no matter what. If you don't like it, don't use youtube. Easy peasy.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Don't forget scott fucking atlas, the HCQ king! No idea why a discussion around why facemasks aren't necessary may not be something that youtube doesn't want on its platform.

Again, there's nothing stopping them from putting that talk on other platforms - it's not illegal speech. But youtube as a private entity has no compulsion or requirement to host any video no matter what. If you don't like it, don't use youtube. Easy peasy.

It's going to catch sandy vag here completely off guard when big tech moves on from targeting his "enemies" and moves on to him.  

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Those people still can get their message out through other means - they have press offices and can host the video themselves.

Looks like this is TBD. 

I’m not a lawyer, but this doesn’t seem black and white and it’s going to be litigated. 

Moving on, I posted that to show the ridiculous lengths the authorities are now going to squash dissent on Covid policy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

AFAIK, they don't receive any more corporate welfare (which means tax breaks) than any other large corporation does. If you've got sourced and cited information to show otherwise I'd love to see it, but a farmer crying foul about government subsidies is always good for a laugh.

So the owner of YouTube is getting subsidies. What does everything within the state mean to you? 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Moving on, I posted that to show the ridiculous lengths the authorities are now going to squash dissent on Covid policy.

As it ties back, when you have monopolistic tech companies controlling narratives that align with a single political party, they cease to be "private".  This trial seems very black and white.  But what about the next?  Or ones after that?  This is a dangerous, dangerous precedent.  

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

So the owner of YouTube is getting subsidies. What does everything within the state mean to you? 

It takes a nano-second to see Google, the owner of YouTube, gets billions in Federal subsidies.  Jesus Christ.....

Why do people keep calling Twitter and Google "private companies"?  They're not.  They're publicly traded, not privately owned.  

There are "Public Corporations" that are owned by the Federal Government.  Now, those corporations can have legal action taken against them for censorship or other violations of Civil Rights.  GMAC for unfair lending practices based on race, AMTRAK for lack of disabled passenger access, Export-Import Bank for biased banking access, TVA for environmental damages, et. al.  And even the U.S. Postal Service.  If the USPS, a public corporation owned by the Federal Government and its taxpayers which enjoys its own administrative/management structure, its own revenue/G&A, etc.---if they were to stop delivering fundraiser/campaign pieces from candidates of one party or another---that would be censorship.  If a publicly traded corporation like UPS or FedEx decided to stop delivering shit like that, that is perfectly acceptable.  

TRS, ERS, UTIMCO, and a number of other public investment entities here in Texas, who purchase large slices of publicly traded companies for defined-benefit plans.....they own big chunks of shares of Twitter, Google, and hundreds of other Big Tech companies who are "censoring" the very politicians who run Texas and their former leader---DJT.  So go march on them if you don't like what's happening.  Just as I laugh at students who want to divest UTIMCO from O&G, we will have a hearty laugh at the futility of grown adults marching on TRS to divest from the $100mm it holds in Twitter stock. 

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

As it ties back, when you have monopolistic tech companies controlling narratives that align with a single political party, they cease to be "private".  This trial seems very black and white.  But what about the next?  Or ones after that?  This is a dangerous, dangerous precedent.  

Flyin' Ted Cruz called, he asked for you to stop stealing his hollow talking points. If you'd like to talk policy I hear there's a special board just for that!

But I am curious to know why you think youtube is a monopoly in a world where it's pretty easy and cheap to host and serve videos over the internet. They don't meet the statutory or plain definition of a monopoly - they just have a large user base and a large service. 

Yall are just throwing out all these rhetorically charged terms, not supporting that claim at all, and then melting down over whatever shit you heard on fox/oann/gab/facebook. You wanna talk about monolopies in big tech? Let's talk actual hard facts and information and quantify before we talk about how to get your antivax and qanon bullshit spread wide again.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away