Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

The term you're looking for is "common carrier" and no, they're not.

Actually it’s highly debatable. The term was “defined” before the internet and big tech were a thing. 

A common carrier is a private or public entity that transports goods or people for a fee. Utility companies and telecommunications companies also are considered common carriers. A common carrier, unlike a private carrier, must provide its service to anyone willing to pay its fee, unless it has grounds for refusal.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I'd just like to state for the record what an hilariously stupid opinion "a company isn't a private company if it disagrees with me!" is. 

I agree with the lefties on this one.  Private companies should have the right to refuse service to anyone.  As should custom cake makers.

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Actually it’s highly debatable. The term was “defined” before the internet and big tech were a thing. 

A common carrier is a private or public entity that transports goods or people for a fee. Utility companies and telecommunications companies also are considered common carriers. A common carrier, unlike a private carrier, must provide its service to anyone willing to pay its fee, unless it has grounds for refusal.

Thank you for explaining to me what a common carrier is. Now would you mind explaining why a social media company qualifies?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Yes, he cried to the mods that I was mean. 

Mods have put me in timeout for playing too rough in the kiddy pool as well, welcome to surly. But yall are welcome to keep calling me names since you apparentlyt have literally nothing else you can add to the conversation. 

If anybody should get suspended, it should be babayaga for spelling the word "Ideocracy" a few posts up.  ;) 

We did mask up our 2YO today because she was going to Dell Children's for lab work.  I don't give a flying fuck what the studies say, I wasn't walking her into a waiting room full of truly sick children dying from things far worse than Covid-19 with no mask on.  Just a human decency thing, IMO.  But yeah, other than hospitals and schools---the girls get to roam free unmasked nowadays.  

Here's a fun conundrum with some politics sprinkled in.  Wife's parents both got it pretty bad last Autumn.  My MIL was respectful of the disease, FIL thought it was all bullshit even when he wasn't feeling well.  Wife's maternal grandfather died of it a couple months ago.  He was in his 90's and had co-morbidities but still it was sad to think of this tough sumbitch from the WWII generation who had polio, who farmed western Kansas for ~90 years of his life from the Dust Bowl until Covid-19, dying all alone in ICU with no visitors allowed.   

So now they're all taking it a bit more seriously and are all getting vaccinated up that way.  Except one, my wife's youngest sister.  She's in decent health, but not exactly great.  She's a stubborn 30YO millennial that knows it all.  But it's none of my business until the wife said they were all coming to visit this month, even the the youngest one who is the only one not vaccinated.  So at that point, since they'll be in my house around my children for a week, I get to ask a question..."Why isn't she getting the vaccine?"  Wife says she doesn't know and I leave it at that.  Meanwhile, I know exactly why she's not getting it but her family is oblivious.  Her sister's boyfriend is Black and despite being a police officer, has refused the vaccine on the grounds of the Tuskegee Study.  Or that was my guess anyway from what I know of him, and I don't blame him one way or the other---I totally get it.  Turns out I was completely correct, and now the whole family is confused that she thinks she's black.  I can't even explain to them what the Tuskegee Study was or they'll freak out.

This is why science-based, transparent, non-partisan Covid-19 communication is important people.  You listen to the lunatics on both sides and next thing you know---the farmer's daughter is a black woman with syphilis who refuses to go to CVS or eat beef. 

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Mods have put me in timeout for playing too rough in the kiddy pool as well, welcome to surly. But yall are welcome to keep calling me names since you apparentlyt have literally nothing else you can add to the conversation. 

Whatever you say, bedwetter

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

You guys better be careful with this Captain guy. I got suspended for calling the bedwetter captainantifa. He’s a little bitch, just ignore him. 

He's got the seagull maneuver down. Flies in, squawks a lot, and shits on everything.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If anybody should get suspended, it should be babayaga for spelling the word "Ideocracy" a few posts up.  ;) 

We did mask up our 2YO today because she was going to Dell Children's for lab work.  I don't give a flying fuck what the studies say, I wasn't walking her into a waiting room full of truly sick children dying from things far worse than Covid-19 with no mask on.  Just a human decency thing, IMO.  But yeah, other than hospitals and schools---the girls get to roam free unmasked nowadays.  

Here's a fun conundrum with some politics sprinkled in.  Wife's parents both got it pretty bad last Autumn.  My MIL was respectful of the disease, FIL thought it was all bullshit even when he wasn't feeling well.  Wife's maternal grandfather died of it a couple months ago.  He was in his 90's and had co-morbidities but still it was sad to think of this tough sumbitch from the WWII generation who had polio, who farmed western Kansas for ~90 years of his life from the Dust Bowl until Covid-19, dying all alone in ICU with no visitors allowed.   

So now they're all taking it a bit more seriously and are all getting vaccinated up that way.  Except one, my wife's youngest sister.  She's in decent health, but not exactly great.  She's a stubborn 30YO millennial that knows it all.  But it's none of my business until the wife said they were all coming to visit this month, even the the youngest one who is the only one not vaccinated.  So at that point, since they'll be in my house around my children for a week, I get to ask a question..."Why isn't she getting the vaccine?"  Wife says she doesn't know and I leave it at that.  Meanwhile, I know exactly why she's not getting it but her family is oblivious.  Her sister's boyfriend is Black and despite being a police officer, has refused the vaccine on the grounds of the Tuskegee Study.  Or that was my guess anyway from what I know of him, and I don't blame him one way or the other---I totally get it.  Turns out I was completely correct, and now the whole family is confused that she thinks she's black.  I can't even explain to them what the Tuskegee Study was or they'll freak out.

This is why science-based, transparent, non-partisan Covid-19 communication is important people.  You listen to the lunatics on both sides and next thing you know---the farmer's daughter is a black woman with syphilis who refuses to go to CVS or eat beef. 

Is this your long winded way of explaining you have a black friend?

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Actually, it was a discussion about the ideocracy of some 20-something intern @ Youtube censoring scientists and epidemiologists from Harvard, Oxford, and Cambridge having a round table on the recent data pointing to whether young children even need to wear masks anymore.  How dare they question the current talking points, right?

But hey, I think that strawman is still moving, go kick the shit out of him again just to make sure.  

Here’s the censored transcript, hopefully I don’t go to jail for posting it.  Btw it’s political.  

https://www.aier.org/article/great-barrington-declaration-scientists-with-gov-desantis-in-florida/

As opposed to....checks notes
CNN
MSNBC
ABC
CBS
NPR
VOX
Huffington Post
PBS
I need to keep going or do you get the point?   Nor are these "social media platforms"....but you knew that already....

I’m going to accept for argument’s sake that every single one of those is as entrenched with a political party as FOX is. They’re not, it isn’t even remotely close except perhaps Huffpo, but that’s really another discussion. So let’s go with it.

You didn’t say social media platform. You said private company. You are the one who insisted a private company 100 percent integrated with a political party (YouTube is not and suggesting so is painfully ignorant) is dangerous and required action. But here you’re saying it’s okay for FOX because the big bad t sips - I mean, Democrats - have created a massive Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy - I mean, have stacked the liberal media.

So what you’re really saying is that it’s bad if you don’t like it. Which in that case, just be honest and say it instead of twisting yourself into a pretzel. It’ll save you a lot of time to catch up on the latest from Looch and maybe even squeeze in some intimacy with a lucky sheep.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I agree with the lefties on this one.  Private companies should have the right to refuse service to anyone.  As should custom cake makers.

There’s an obvious difference between, say, YouTube taking down a video that doesn’t meet its published terms of service that you agree to on use, and a baker saying “Nah I don’t serve gays.” Not to mention political party is generally not considered a protected class.

However in a general sense I can see where you’re coming from. Part of me has thought “It’s 2021. Let a business get blasted online and on the news for discrimination and let the chips fall where they may.” There’s a big can of worms with that though. Interesting debate for sure.

You guys are sick.  

I don't know him as well as I'd like to (so I can tell GRHorn we became friends).  But he's from Kansas City, went to a big, racially blended high school.  Now he spends 2020 stuck out in Western Kansas with no other black people around to appease my sister in law, lives through George Floyd murder/BLM/defund the police, sees the huge risks that frontline workers take with Covid-19......and after that decides he wants to settle down out there with her, becomes a cop, and refuses the vaccine.  All I could think of, "That's what you got out of 2020?"

I honestly hope we become friends.  not because he's black, but because he's apparently fucking crazy and I wanna be at the bachelor party of a man like that.  

17 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here’s the censored transcript, hopefully I don’t go to jail for posting it.  Btw it’s political.  

https://www.aier.org/article/great-barrington-declaration-scientists-with-gov-desantis-in-florida/

I never actually watched the video, but just doing a ctrl+f for "mask" holy shit they talk a ton about how "If we went back a year, a lot of the experts would say that wearing masks for the general public is not evidence-based." Which is complete and total antimask bullshit. They're arguing that because wearing masks didn't 100% stop COVID in its tracks, that they should have never been required. And also quite a bit of peripheral discussion on how cloth masks are ineffective.

Those "credentialed speakers" are giving straight up bad advice. "Dr. Gupta: I suppose, given that I would recommend most non-immune persons that they shouldn’t wear masks or engage in social distancing, you can imagine what my answer would be to people who know that they are immune."

Youtube taking the video down is in line with their terms of service on medical disinformation. AIER famously advocated for a "herd immunity" strategy in October of 2020, and was frequently cited by scott "HCQ" atlas as an authoritative source while defending trump white house policy decisions that led to HALF A MILLION DEAD AMERICANS.

So yeah, it makes more sense now why the braintrust felt so victimized by youtube enforcing its terms of service.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There’s an obvious difference between, say, YouTube taking down a video that doesn’t meet its published terms of service that you agree to on use, and a baker saying “Nah I don’t serve gays.” Not to mention political party is generally not considered a protected class.

However in a general sense I can see where you’re coming from. Part of me has thought “It’s 2021. Let a business get blasted online and on the news for discrimination and let the chips fall where they may.” There’s a big can of worms with that though. Interesting debate for sure.

And I think there is a distinction between refusing to sell a gay person a premade cookie or forcing a baker to make a custom cake, which is more akin to his artistic expression, for a gay couple and then have to deliver and setup said cake at the reception venue. But that debate is not relevant to this.

Big tech should not be forced to host content it disagrees with or does not support. It's the free market. I may disagree with them, but I respect their right to do so.

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I never actually watched the video, but just doing a ctrl+f for "mask" holy shit they talk a ton about how "If we went back a year, a lot of the experts would say that wearing masks for the general public is not evidence-based." Which is complete and total antimask bullshit. They're arguing that because wearing masks didn't 100% stop COVID in its tracks, that they should have never been required. And also quite a bit of peripheral discussion on how cloth masks are ineffective.

Those "credentialed speakers" are giving straight up bad advice. "Dr. Gupta: I suppose, given that I would recommend most non-immune persons that they shouldn’t wear masks or engage in social distancing, you can imagine what my answer would be to people who know that they are immune."

Youtube taking the video down is in line with their terms of service on medical disinformation. AIER famously advocated for a "herd immunity" strategy in October of 2020, and was frequently cited by scott "HCQ" atlas as an authoritative source while defending trump white house policy decisions. 

So yeah, it makes more sense now why the braintrust felt so victimized by youtube enforcing its terms of service.

Cool story DrJill!

this is what they mean by that that "science" word you keep hearing ... warning it uses larger but correctly spelled words than your "dissertation."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25903751/

Edited by Kyle

In our heads?  Yes, probably.  

I haven't seen any updated studies on what the long-term cognitive effects of the disease could be on people.  We should at least have a huge batch to observe after 12 months, maybe even 15.  That should give some early indicators.  Could have just been power of suggestion, but I was certainly in a mental haze for 36 hours after I got my second shot.  Worse than being in the Cloak Room?  I'm afraid so.  Anybody else that had the virus bad, feel that way during and after?  

I'm picturing it like that Chris Rock bit about "My AIDS is acting up" years from now after they can keep anybody healthy and alive with HIV for decades.  You forget something, or caught not paying attention, or say something inappropriate, you can just say, "Sorry, my Covid Cognition was acting up again (cough, cough)"  

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Youtube taking the video down is in line with their terms of service on medical disinformation. AIER famously advocated for a "herd immunity" strategy in October of 2020, and was frequently cited by scott "HCQ" atlas as an authoritative source while defending trump white house policy decisions that led to HALF A MILLION DEAD AMERICANS.

I like how they keep comparing Florida as a model against California.  Except Florida actually has a higher per capita death rate than California.  Ok.  

I wouldn’t want to live either place myself. 

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I like how they keep comparing Florida as a model against California.  Except Florida actually has a higher per capita death rate than California.  Ok.  

I could explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Florida has the 4th oldest population.

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They are just about equal. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

New Jersey FTW!

Florida, has frighteningly expansive swatches of rural areas that are not only ugly, but are just teeming with some weird ass  people that scare you to death.  

I lived in a handful of what were then small towns along the IH-4 corridor between Daytona Beach and Orlando back in the mid-90's (it's all built up along the entire highway now).  It was like somebody looted both the people and contents of Deliverance and dropped it in East-Central Florida. What a fucking bizarre world that place is.  It's all Seaside, Epcot, and South Beach until people visit for the first time and think, "Oh shit, I've stepped into a world in which I do not belong.  None of does."  

Just now, Lobo said:

Florida, has frighteningly expansive swatches of rural areas that are not only ugly, but are just teeming with some weird ass  people that scare you to death.  

I lived in a handful of what were then small towns along the IH-4 corridor between Daytona Beach and Orlando back in the mid-90's (it's all built up along the entire highway now).  It was like somebody looted both the people and contents of Deliverance and dropped it in East-Central Florida. What a fucking bizarre world that place is.  It's all Seaside, Epcot, and South Beach until people visit for the first time and think, "Oh shit, I've stepped into a world in which I do not belong.  None of does."  

Thanks Fauci water bottle. Obviously you've never been to California.

Kyle---I Went to law school in California.  Has some ugly areas as well, but it's geographically one of the most beautiful states in our nation.  Wasn't crazy about the people there, but loved visiting a new national park or portion of the coastline every other weekend.  

And oh yeah, sick burn with "Fauci Water Bottle."  ;) 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Kyle---I Went to law school in California.  Has some ugly areas as well, but it's geographically one of the most beautiful states in our nation.  Wasn't crazy about the people there, but loved visiting a new national park or portion of the coastline every other weekend.  

If I had the cash, I would live in Santa Barbara.  I don't think there is a place much better on the planet.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Nice to meet you Hamilton Burger.

Yeah, every time we visit there...I want to hate Santa Barbara because it's a cliche to love it.  But it's a perfect size little city still with so damn much to offer.  And of course the weather and coastline are unrivaled anywhere in the U.S. except for parts of Hawaii. 

csb/ We met this winemaker (made money in tech and bought in) in the Ynez Valley who's brother played for the Round Rock Express at some point.  He had his little vineyard house way up in the hills and then an apartment near the beach down in Santa Barbara.  My wife and I just sat, half-drunk and awestruck by how awesome his setup was.  And then to be polite, "But man, I've been to see my brother play down your way, only seen the airport and the stadium but Austin seems awesome."  "Thanks for patronizing me dude...you'd trade your vineyard and condo on the water to experience Round Rock in July?  LIES!"    Love that area though especially if I do it his way.  

Anyway, back to Covid-19.  If April heat is gonna wipe this thing out, we'll find out soon. Because it's 100 fucking degrees today in Austin.  Da fuh? 

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Not gonna lie - I would have totally done this.

Gotta love Swiss legal journalism.  The sentence sounds like, "But thankfully, the girls won't be expelled for this heinous act.  Instead, they're just going to be criminally tried as adults and could do serious jail time; but will not necessarily be barred from after-school activities and sports."  

Edited by Lobo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away