So, AC/DC. Looks like Brian Johnson is back

Gil Bang

I'm glad and will go for sure. I saw them last time in Houston which was only a couple shows before whatever happened happened. I really like Brian 

But...I've been listening to a Bon Scott playlist on Spotify and literally can't change it. Tons of live stuff and it's just mesmerizing.  The guy was unbelievable.  Theye don't make em like Bon anymore 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm glad and will go for sure. I saw them last time in Houston which was only a couple shows before whatever happened happened. I really like Brian 

But...I've been listening to a Bon Scott playlist on Spotify and literally can't change it. Tons of live stuff and it's just mesmerizing.  The guy was unbelievable.  Theye don't make em like Bon anymore 

Yeah, Brian Johnson is probably the gold standard for replacement vocalists, but Bon Scott era ACDC is just on another level.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'll defer to the AC/DC connoisseurs, but there is a certain power to "Back In Black" that can't be denied.  Mutt Lange just nailed the recording and production.

But, that earlier stuff with Bon still had a raw, garage quality that can't be denied.

Image result for why not both 

Back in Black is a bad ass album, no doubt.  I'm certainly no expert but Lange started working with them on Highway to Hell and it sounds way more polished than their previous work, and that continues on Back in Black. 

But in my opinion,  if Bon was alive for BiB ( and there are theories out there that he did write some/all of it. It was released 5 months after he died, so....) and they kept the raw sound they might have broken rock music. There would have been no point in anyone trying any more

8 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

But in my opinion,  if Bon was alive for BiB ( and there are theories out there that he did write some/all of it. It was released 5 months after he died, so....) and they kept the raw sound they might have broken rock music. There would have been no point in anyone trying any more

Well, I'm not sure that's true.  A hit is a hit.  The bigger the hit, the bigger the influence.  See, for instance, "Nevermind".

20 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Back in Black is a bad ass album, no doubt.  I'm certainly no expert but Lange started working with them on Highway to Hell and it sounds way more polished than their previous work, and that continues on Back in Black. 

23 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Playing the bagpipes is the trump card, as if Bon needed one

Them on the back of the truck always reminds me of this.

I'll defer to the AC/DC connoisseurs, but there is a certain power to "Back In Black" that can't be denied.  Mutt Lange just nailed the recording and production.
But, that earlier stuff with Bon still had a raw, garage quality that can't be denied.
6rZ8g8R.jpg 

Your point is 100% valid.

But Bon Scott is still the best

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Go ahead and defer to the connoisseurs

OK.  So your point is that, had Bon sung on "Back In Back", rock music would have died, because no band would have seen the point in going on?  AC/DC would have been so massive they wouldn't have influenced anyone because no band would dare take a shot?

I am literally (literally, it's gone) laughing my tiny didn't do enough leg days middle-aged man ass off.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK.  So your point is that, had Bon sung on "Back In Back", rock music would have died, because no band would have seen the point in going on?  AC/DC would have been so massive they wouldn't have influenced anyone because no band would dare take a shot?

I am literally (literally, it's gone) laughing my tiny didn't do enough leg days middle-aged man ass off.

It's hyperbole bro....I'm saying it would have been even better that it already was because Bon. It is known. 

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would be cool to hear . . . any idea if demos exist?

Nah there's some fake stuff on YouTube but it's not Bon. The company line is Bon was not involved with Back in Black. Rumor was that Bon was out celebrating the completion of writing the lyrics for the new album the night he died. But who knows....Bon really didn't need a big reason to go on a bender. But it does  seem a little odd that Brian would have come up with all that in his first 3 or 4 months with the band and then honestly never really coming close to that level again. If you like conspiracies it has some elements. 

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I don’t know who wrote it but Back In Black is the closest thing to a perfect rock album ever recorded. There’s not a weak instance to be found anywhere on that masterpiece.

Go listen to it on some good headphones. It’s insane.

That's what I'm talking about.  From stem to stern, it's a motherfucker.   A motherfucker.  Best thing AC/DC did, and better than just about anything anybody else ever did. 

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I don’t know who wrote it but Back In Black is the closest thing to a perfect rock album ever recorded. There’s not a weak instance to be found anywhere on that masterpiece.

Go listen to it on some good headphones. It’s insane.

Highway to Hell disagrees with your police work there, Lou.

• Like 1

I wasn't a big AC/DC fan back in the day. When I got older and music got shitty when rock started disappearing, I went back looking for stuff I mostly missed and re-discovered the Bon era. It's great stuff. I can enjoy a Brian era song to rock out to, but it wears on me fast when I try to listen to a whole album of that screeching.

Johnson's Life On The Road thing is great.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Highway to Hell disagrees with your police work there, Lou.

this.  the track list might be the most perfect pure hard rock(not metal) album ever.  Almost every track is fantastic(love hungry man is meh).  love back in black but even as good as Brian is Bon is another level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bon Scott had this impish quality that really made him endearing.  I mean beyond lyrics and singing ability and all that, he just always had this sly grin going on like he was in on some joke that no one else was privy to.

8-C7469-F5-F23-F-49-FF-A0-D4-73470-EFC9-

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1