2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

8 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

Totally different offensive mindset in these numbers.  It’s like comparing Darrell Royals teams passing stats to that Mack Browns teams. 

Well yeah, but that's also why we are better hitting team. 

Augie's offensive approach was outdated. I'm all for bunting in certain situations but not to the extent Augie did to end his career. 

We scored more runs and had a much higher slugging percentage because Pierce values guys that can hit doubles/HRs. 

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Slugging and on-base percentages are the key.  If we continue to improve those numbers, good things will happen.  

Different game now than it was 20 years ago. The football comparison above is a good one but that's why a lot of teams have adapted to more spread type offenses. The game changed. Same thing has happened in basketball where teams are now much more reliant on stretch big types/3 point shooting. 

The focus used to be on batting average. Now it's much more about slugging percentage. Need guys that can hit doubles, triples and HRs. 

I hope we keep recruiting the Zubia types. Guys that can rake like that change the game regardless of batting average. 

You can take the sabremetrics fellas.......all I know is our offense (be it under Pearce or Garrido or anyone) doesn't work when we whiff and when we pop-up.  And it ain't because of our fucking ballpark...but those two mistakes at the plate have plagued us for nearly a decade.  

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You can take the sabremetrics fellas.......all I know is our offense (be it under Pearce or Garrido or anyone) doesn't work when we whiff and when we pop-up.  And it ain't because of our fucking ballpark...but those two mistakes at the plate have plagued us for nearly a decade.  

Agreed, bunting wasn't "taking the bat out of anyone's hands" most of the time during that period.  It was just another AB, with a greater chance of advancing the runner than a swinging AB, but still an out.

I've never had a problem with bunting.  I know many texans want slugging.   I always bought into the process.  But when we do swing, despite our park's dimensions, we still strikeout and pop-up like nobody's business. 

Bunting worked in the past when you were advancing a runner to be driven in by the next guy in the line up, and this guy could actually hit. In other words, moving someone over for Brandon Belt or Dustin Majewski makes a lot more sense than sacrificing to give Ryan Reynolds or Tate Shaw a shot with RISP.  On the other hand, pros don't screw up bunts on defense 99% of the time, while in college there's a greater chance of errors (one instance when sabermetrics doesn't tell you everything).

In any case, I'll take a 7-pitch strike out from Zubia over a first-pitch ground out to SS almost any time. There are obviously some instances in which you absolutely have to put the ball in play. We could use some work on that as well, but I see a positive trend in this team's hitting, which I haven't been able to say in a while.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

1) We had this exact conversation last year about the bats. http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/179603-2018-Texas-Baseball/page2

UT Lawnghorn:

"Not sure about wins, but I expect this team to average about .5 runs per game next year."

TexasStrong12: 

"People are drastically overvaluing the losses in terms of bats. We were one of the worst hitting teams in the country for 3 years with this group of players. We aren't losing Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron here, we're losing average to below average college hitters (excluding Clemens). Outside of experience, this group of players are pretty easy to replace in terms of talent. 

Matter of fact, I bet we are a better hitting team next year. The additions of Hibbeler, Fields and Zubia are significant. Getting a fully healthy Clemens back and Baker back from injury will have an impact. Then I bet you see improvement from the FR (Hamilton, Todd and Reynolds). 

The biggest issue next year will be pitching. It's not easy to replace quality arms like Kennedy, Cooper and Johnston. Those guys actually had talent and produced on the college level. We have to replace pitching production. Not so much in terms of hitting."

2) Same thing applies to pitching next year. I love what PJR, Sawyer, and Mcguire contributed this year. But they were pretty much non-contributors until this year and are replaceable talents. If anything PJR, Sawyer, and McGuire types should give you hope for next year. Haig did a good job of piecing the bullpen together with guys very few even expected to pitch this year. 

Hahaha holy shit. I have no recollection of ever saying this. Idk how you remembered that. Good stuff. Pretty sure at that point, I wasn't factoring in the JUCOs that really helped our roster or Zubia, Clemens, or Hamilton being nearly as good as they were this year, so hopefully I'm overlooking a lot of factors for next year at this time, too.  I'm totally with you on the bullpen. Starter is what makes me nervous but still time to grab a JUCO or for a guy like Bocci to improve. Bocci will be really interesting. He's definitely a guy who could emerge next year. For batting, Pierce really seems to know how to coach up hitters, so hoepfully we can get some more David Hamilton-esque jumps and get a deep lineup with a lot of guys who can hit, like we faced against TTech, Arky, and UF. 

Bunting worked in the past when you were advancing a runner to be driven in by the next guy in the line up, and this guy could actually hit. In other words, moving someone over for Brandon Belt or Dustin Majewski makes a lot more sense than sacrificing to give Ryan Reynolds or Tate Shaw a shot with RISP.  On the other hand, pros don't screw up bunts on defense 99% of the time, while in college there's a greater chance of errors (one instance when sabermetrics doesn't tell you everything).

In any case, I'll take a 7-pitch strike out from Zubia over a first-pitch ground out to SS almost any time. There are obviously some instances in which you absolutely have to put the ball in play. We could use some work on that as well, but I see a positive trend in this team's hitting, which I haven't been able to say in a while.

This is neither here nor there, but I'm confused why you think sabermetrics don't factor in individual and team defensive fielding? They absolutely do. I get that the general idea is sabermetrics say no bunting, but there are tons of ways sabermetrics value and factor in fielding to that equation.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

To be fair, Brandon Belt was not a lethal college hitter.  He is off to a great pro career, but he really wasn't that great of a hitter in college.  But I miss him.  Like my right testicle.  

38 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Hahaha holy shit. I have no recollection of ever saying this. Idk how you remembered that. Good stuff. Pretty sure at that point, I wasn't factoring in the JUCOs that really helped our roster or Zubia, Clemens, or Hamilton being nearly as good as they were this year, so hopefully I'm overlooking a lot of factors for next year at this time, too.  I'm totally with you on the bullpen. Starter is what makes me nervous but still time to grab a JUCO or for a guy like Bocci to improve. Bocci will be really interesting. He's definitely a guy who could emerge next year. For batting, Pierce really seems to know how to coach up hitters, so hoepfully we can get some more David Hamilton-esque jumps and get a deep lineup with a lot of guys who can hit, like we faced against TTech, Arky, and UF. 

This is neither here nor there, but I'm confused why you think sabermetrics don't factor in individual and team defensive fielding? They absolutely do. I get that the general idea is sabermetrics say no bunting, but there are tons of ways sabermetrics value and factor in fielding to that equation.

Fair enough. To be honest, I haven't paid that much attention to defensive metrics, but I acknowledge that they're probably undervalued.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

To be fair, Brandon Belt was not a lethal college hitter.  He is off to a great pro career, but he really wasn't that great of a hitter in college.  But I miss him.  Like my right testicle.  

Brandon did not star in any Mel Gibson movies,  but not too shabby.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Belt

Belt batted .319 with six home runs and a team-high 65 RBI while also pitching in 16 games as a reliever.[3] As a junior, Belt transitioned to first base due to shoulder problems.[1] In 2009, during his junior season, Belt batted .323 in 63 games (76-for-235) with eight home runs, 43 RBI, and 15 stolen bases, while recording a .989 fielding percentage as part of the Texas team that finished as runners-up in the College World Series.[3]

1 hour ago, torre said:

Brandon did not star in any Mel Gibson movies,  but not too shabby.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Belt

Belt batted .319 with six home runs and a team-high 65 RBI while also pitching in 16 games as a reliever.[3] As a junior, Belt transitioned to first base due to shoulder problems.[1] In 2009, during his junior season, Belt batted .323 in 63 games (76-for-235) with eight home runs, 43 RBI, and 15 stolen bases, while recording a .989 fielding percentage as part of the Texas team that finished as runners-up in the College World Series.[3]

Yep, had a great career but was not what you'd think of when you think of a guy having such success at MLB level.  Great stats but not earth-shattering.  But certainly had the skill set to advance and succeed at the next level. 

On 6/20/2018 at 9:02 AM, zlavydra said:

Very nice jump for the offense this season, but it’s one data point. Be at least as good or better next year and then it’s a trend. 

I’m optimistic, but they need to prove that it wasn’t a fluke. 

A cursory glance at Summer rosters.     Note these rosters are often incomplete/inaccurate.    Official notice should be released later by Texas Sports.

Cape Cod -  Ellis, Reynolds (Cotuit)   Zubia, Hamilton, Henley (Yarmouth-Dennis)

Calif Collegiate League (CCL)  -  Elder, O'Donnell, Gaunt, Fields (Santa Barbara)  Ivey, Verplank (Orange Cty)

Northwoods League - Bocchi, Quintanilla, Stevens (Rochester)

https://twitter.com/texasbaseball?lang=en

If you don't often visit Texas Baseball twitter,  nice photos of Kody at the Golden Spikes Ceremony/Activities.   (Nice tie, #2)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you need a college baseball fix,   Fox College Sports Atlantic (FCSA) is broadcasting Cape Cod League games.   Tonight is Zubia, Hamilton, Henley's team Yarmouth-Dennis.   Ellis and Reynolds play for Cotuit.  (Zubia .227/1HR,  Hamilton, .171/0HR/8 Errors, 8-10 games, Henley 5 IP, 7.20era)     Boys may be tired.

I don't have FCSA,  perhaps a stream may be available on FoxSportsGo.   

(Eastern Times)

Fox College Sports 2018 TV  

Tue, July 3, 6:30: Cha at Har

Wed, July 4, 6:00: Y-D at Hya
Wed, July 11, 6:00: Fal at Bou
 Thu, July 12, 5:00: Orl at Y-D
Tue, July 17, 6:30:Fal at War
 Wed, July 18, 6:00: Cha at Hya
 Sun, July 22, 6:00: All-Star Game at Harwich
Tue, July 24, 7:00: Bre at Cha
 Wed, July 25, 5:00: Cot at Bre

http://ism3.infinityprosports.com/ismdata/2012030201/std-sitebuilder/sites/201201/www/en/broadcasting/

Could not find stats on Cotuit,  but Reynolds is having a nice Summer.       https://www.kettleers.org/2018/07/reynolds-scares-at-plate-snares-in-field/

HYANNIS – After Ryan Reynolds (Texas) drove in three runs against the Orleans Firebirds on Tuesday, Cotuit Kettleers coach Mike Roberts said he liked that Reynolds “scared people” at the plate. While the Kettleers dropped their Wednesday matchup with the Hyannis Harbor Hawks, Reynolds continued to inspire fear at the plate, registering two hits including a double.

IMG_6052-188x300.jpg

Ryan Reynolds (Texas) kickstarted Cotuit’s 8th inning rally against Orleans on Tuesday with a solo homer to centerfield

The multi-hit performance continues Reynolds excellent week. In his last six at-bats, Reynolds has registered a home run, a double and three RBI.

“I’m just trying to keep it simple. Eliminate all the movement and keep my head still,” Reynolds said. “Most of all, I’m just swinging at pitches I can handle. I’m making sure not to swing at pitcher’s pitches or pitches outside the zone.”

In addition to the intimidation factor Reynolds brings, Roberts praised Reynolds for his fundamental changes at the plate in his time in Cotuit.

“I like what I’m seeing,” Roberts said. “His swing is more compact than it was when he arrived. His stride is now pretty much gone. He’s sitting a lot more still and looking a lot more like Justin Smoak than he was. When you sit still at the plate as a big guy like he is and you keep you’re swing compact, good things are going to happen.

Smoak, a 9-year MLB veteran, was an All-Star in 2017 for the Toronto Blue Jays, and ended the year with 38 home runs and 90 RBI. As a collegian at South Carolina, Smoak spent the summer of 2006 playing for the Kettleers, taking home Cape League MVP.

While lofty, the comparison to Smoak seems accurate; both are switch-hitting corner infielders with power, although Smoak (6’4, 220 lbs) is slightly bigger than Reynolds (6’2, 215). Reynolds potential versatility as a right-handed thrower makes up for the size difference, as he could potentially play both corner infield positions. While he could move across the diamond, Roberts is confident that Reynolds could reach the next level at the hot corner.  

“He’s great defensively,” Roberts said. “I haven’t seen many guys in my 15 years in Cotuit who I think can play professional third base right way, but I think he could.”

While Reynolds has an excellent baseball pedigree as the son of a major leaguer (his father Shane Reynolds played 13 years in the bigs), he said that his defense is more a product of hard work than talent.

“I work on defense everyday,” Reynolds said. “I’ve been taught from a young age that defense is all mentality and hustle. Defense is something you can always be good at and I take a lot of pride in it.

Edited by torre

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Reynolds’ coach must not have seen him try to play first in April. 

I'm liking the swing update news though.  Texas will need him to be more consistent at the plate next year.  I likey the update on that front.