CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Now this story is hitting all the social media. Has this been discussed and/or debunked yet?

https://sharylattkisson.com/2021/08/report-israel-vaccination-provides-far-less-protection-than-previous-covid-infection/

Just another reason for people not to get the vaccine. They will get covid. Some will die. Rinse repeat 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Now this story is hitting all the social media. Has this been discussed and/or debunked yet?

https://sharylattkisson.com/2021/08/report-israel-vaccination-provides-far-less-protection-than-previous-covid-infection/

I have no idea who Sharyl Atkission is, but links on her "Censored"  page are to Mike Lindell, Ron Desantis, various Trump attorneys, Tom Cotton, Gateway Pundit etc...  She's also posted stories linking autism to vaccines i.e. she was an anti-vaxxer even before Covid. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Rapid Increase in Ivermectin Prescriptions and Reports of Severe Illness Associated with Use of Products Containing Ivermectin to Prevent or Treat COVID-19

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2021/han00449.asp

Figure: Estimated number of outpatient ivermectin prescriptions dispensed from retail pharmacies — United States, March 16, 2019–August 13, 2021*

graph_449.png

Examples of recent significant adverse effects reported to U.S. poison control centers include the following:

An adult drank an injectable ivermectin formulation intended for use in cattle in an attempt to prevent COVID-19 infection. This patient presented to a hospital with confusion, drowsiness,  visual hallucinations, tachypnea, and tremors. The patient recovered after being hospitalized for nine days.

An adult patient presented with altered mental status after taking ivermectin tablets of unknown strength purchased on the internet. The patient reportedly took five tablets a day for five days to treat COVID-19. The patient was disoriented and had difficulty answering questions and following commands. Symptoms improved with discontinuation of ivermectin after hospital admission.

Counterpoint: It won't turn you into a magnet. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Rapid Increase in Ivermectin Prescriptions and Reports of Severe Illness Associated with Use of Products Containing Ivermectin to Prevent or Treat COVID-19

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2021/han00449.asp

Figure: Estimated number of outpatient ivermectin prescriptions dispensed from retail pharmacies — United States, March 16, 2019–August 13, 2021*

graph_449.png

Examples of recent significant adverse effects reported to U.S. poison control centers include the following:

An adult drank an injectable ivermectin formulation intended for use in cattle in an attempt to prevent COVID-19 infection. This patient presented to a hospital with confusion, drowsiness,  visual hallucinations, tachypnea, and tremors. The patient recovered after being hospitalized for nine days.

An adult patient presented with altered mental status after taking ivermectin tablets of unknown strength purchased on the internet. The patient reportedly took five tablets a day for five days to treat COVID-19. The patient was disoriented and had difficulty answering questions and following commands. Symptoms improved with discontinuation of ivermectin after hospital admission.

Counterpoint: It won't turn you into a magnet. 

But did second patient  cure his Covid?

34 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I have no idea who Sharyl Atkission is, but links on her "Censored"  page are to Mike Lindell, Ron Desantis, various Trump attorneys, Tom Cotton, Gateway Pundit etc...  She's also posted stories linking autism to vaccines i.e. she was an anti-vaxxer even before Covid. 

I guarantee my anti-vaxx sister knows who all of these people are.

8 hours ago, lmao said:

That's a small % of the population. The unvaccinated in urban areas aren't taking horse dewormer or posting political hot takes on twitter. They're just agnostic about it. Similar to people who don't take the flu vaccine.

And they can die like the rest of the idiots.

• Like 3

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article253764933.html

A McPherson man died Sunday after waiting for a hospital bed with specialized care to become available as health care centers face a surge of COVID-19 patients.

Rob Van Pelt went into McPherson Hospital Tuesday for a routine procedure, but his heart unexpectedly stopped, his wife Somer Van Pelt posted on social media. He was airlifted to a Wichita hospital where he was intubated. He was having unexplained brain seizure activity. Doctors advised he needed to go to another hospital that had a neurological intensive care unit.

Hospital staff searched for a place that could take him.

Last Friday, they started the process of getting him transferred to a hospital in Oklahoma City, but that fell through. Later that day, a bed opened up at Ascension Via Christi St. Francis in Wichita and he was transferred.

As COVID-19 cases in Kansas and beyond have jumped with the spread of the delta variant, health systems have faced staff and bed shortages. In early June, COVID-19 hospitalizations in Kansas had dropped to the low 100s. According to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s latest data, that has jumped to 710 patients.

Spoiler

At Ascension, some of the neurological ICU beds had been converted for COVID-19 patients.

This week, the number of COVID-19 patients at Ascension has averaged in the low nineties.

“With already unseasonably high overall patient volumes, it is adding to the challenge of finding the right bed with the right staff at the right time for every patient being referred to us for care,” said Dr. Sam Antonios, chief clinical officer for Ascension Via Christi.

Somer Van Pelt on Saturday said doctors had determined her husband did not have any brain activity and a ventilator was breathing for him.

“Rob Van Pelt passed peacefully at 6:44 p.m.,” she posted Sunday. “He was surrounded by family and friends, listening to our favorite songs.”

Before he was taken off life support, he donated his organs.

Somer Van Pelt said she will never know if anything would have changed medically had he been able to get a bed earlier, but that with access to the care he needed, he could have been monitored with the right equipment. She urged people to get vaccinated and wear a mask.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Van Pelt’s family.

• Rage+1 1

I’m wondering how many of you slammed the Florida governor for his recommendation on the use of a treatment that Fauci just said is “as close to a silver bullet as we have” In the treatment of Covid. Or is Fauci now a polity a hack influenced by his wife’s financial ties to a drug company? 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Yuk said:

This a a reddit thread on whether any unvaccinated people are coming off vents:

Good read.

Jesus christ, man ...

There are really only 2 options we are seeing for patients here.

-you die

-you become permanently disabled. And they are sent to Rehab or Long Term Care

We ran out vented LTAC beds in our state last year for several weeks. We had an entire hallway in our ICU that we referred to as the “vegetable garden”. Did nothing with those patients except turn them, trach care, and change their tube feeds.

Why isn't this shit getting more play?  When we're talking triage, they should absolutely be taking this into consideration.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m wondering how many of you slammed the Florida governor for his recommendation on the use of a treatment that Fauci just said is “as close to a silver bullet as we have” In the treatment of Covid. Or is Fauci now a polity a hack influenced by his wife’s financial ties to a drug company? 

I'd assume everyone is for continued research on effective treatments for Covid, both unvaxxed and breakthrough cases. But not at the expense of promoting the vaccine. Those looking to DeSantis for guidance are looking for ANY excuse to not take the vaccine. He needs to realize that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'd assume everyone is for continued research on effective treatments for Covid, both unvaxxed and breakthrough cases. But not at the expense of promoting the vaccine. Those looking to DeSantis for guidance are looking for ANY excuse to not take the vaccine. He needs to realize that.

He does realize that.

Republicans are trying to kill as many Americans as they can because they think they can convince a majority of Americans that Biden and Democrats are to blame for not stopping the pandemic.

Edited by wildcat09

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

He does realize that.

Republicans are trying to kill as many Americans as he can because they think they can convince a majority of Americans that Biden and Democrats are to blame for not stopping the pandemic.

here’s the irony - because of trump turning this into a team sport, it no longer matters. afghanistan, covid, nobody cares. you think dems are gonna vote trump or desantis over biden/whomever in ‘24 because of covid deaths?  lol. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

here’s the irony - because of trump turning this into a team sport, it no longer matters. afghanistan, covid, nobody cares. you think dems are gonna vote trump or desantis over biden/whomever in ‘24 because of covid deaths?  lol. 

Not Dems, no.

43 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I really am shocked there are still healthcare workers in the icu. Its amazing that people are still going to work everyday knowing that the government and general populace is literally cumming on their face every chance they get

The truly shocking thing to me, is that there are healthcare workers, including some who work in an icu, who refused to get vaccinated. Beyond my understanding. 

• Rage+1 2

10 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Guilty as charged.  I do however when out shopping and such. I don't find it a big deal to wear It, but I'm also not wearing it but a few minutes a day at most.  I don't at restaurants obviously because there is a magic shield there where everyone can take off there mask without worry apparently.

some people have been changing how they go about their daily lives at some considerable inconvenience for a very long time now in order to prevent/stop/slow down the largest mass death event in american history. nobody thinks there is a magic shield that lets you eat at a restaurant without any kind of worry

• Hook 'Em 5

It really is this simple. The common-sense, public health approach to managing a disease has three elements, none of which get short shrift: 1) of a vaccine is available, VACCINATE EVERYONE, 2) in the interim, use other available measures to reduce transmission (masks, avoid close contact in enclosed spaces, etc); 3) develop and administer effective therapeutics for the cases that do develop.

All three. No one of them trumps any other. Vaccinate. Wear masks. Develop therapies. If you pick one at the expense of the other, you are making a shitty decision.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bookman said:

Yet these are the first to proclaim "American Exceptionalism."

They aren't wrong in general.  This country is exceptional.  They are completely wrong about the specifics of what make us exceptional.  And lately it appears to be exceptional for all of the wrong reasons.  We had a pretty decent run.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

some people have been changing how they go about their daily lives at some considerable inconvenience for a very long time now in order to prevent/stop/slow down the largest mass death event in american history. nobody thinks there is a magic shield that lets you eat at a restaurant without any kind of worry

Seriously, what the fuck? We've made concessions to try to return some sense of normalcy, even if it may go against the pure science, to try to keep people sane (and employed). Everyone acknowledges that, and decides their own risk tolerance accordingly.

Does Monkey want us to close indoor dining again just for the sake of consistency?

1 hour ago, Yuk said:

This a a reddit thread on whether any unvaccinated people are coming off vents:

Good read.

I could easily kill off the entire day reading it.

One snippet

"And yet here in Houston/TX our governor has forbidden vaccine mandates for any entity taking state money….

Tried to ban mask mandates..

Forcing kids into schools

Banning nurses from being able to quit their jobs and travel locally for more money… They have to wait a month before they can do it.

Wait.. a month off from hell right as tropical storms/hurricanes are forming then I can go back to work for three times the money? Hmmm great planning

While we still hover around 46% vaccination rates. Because people trust face book moms and internet memes.

I’ve been so angry for months and could care less how many of them die gasping at this point. While I sit at home on antibiotics with a persistent infection that requires surgery. And my inbred extended family has made sure to let me know I can’t come to events because my protein spikes might kill them.

Thank god my immediate family aren’t stupid inbreds and got vaccinated"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Seriously, what the fuck? We've made concessions to try to return some sense of normalcy, even if it may go against the pure science, to try to keep people sane (and employed). Everyone acknowledges that, and decides their own risk tolerance accordingly.

Does Monkey want us to close indoor dining again just for the sake of consistency?

I feel like this is the same thing as slorch's "nobody should have had any emotional reaction at all to getting inoculated against the deadliest pandemic in american history" take. "What's the big deal" seems similar to "and we're just magically safe when we're eating in restaurants and going to concerts and licking the insides of strangers mouths lol ok" - a lot of us have not been doing those fucking things and our lives have been much less great than they might have been otherwise because we aren't massive pieces of shit. Obviously discussing the finer points of balancing risk versus practicality and sanity for where we are now is fucking pointless, but yeah what are we supposed to do - shut back down completely so we can compound our human misery while we still don't actually slow shit down because so many people in our society are mind blowingly stupid, selfish, and un-Christian? Wear the fucking mask. Restaurants are still riskier. If you think the n-95 is better wear an n-95. Maybe I'll go get some n-95s. Quit with the disingenuous shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

My brother, a stroke survivor and very much an at risk patient is likely to be discharged from a California hospital today. He was fully vaccinated with the Pfizer shot in March. No hesitation taking the vaccine in anyone in my family fortunately. He had a breakthrough case that required hospitalization. I am his family contact so I spent most of the week on the phone with the doctor about his treatment. First question I get - “what is your political belief? We are using medicine for at risk patients that are currently in clinical trials but some people are not comfortable with that.”  I was floored. How is my political belief at all relevant to treating a patient in the hospital? She went on to say some people are not comfortable with Regeneron or Ivermectrin due to the political nature of the drugs. I knew the vaccine had become a political topic on the right but did not know that treatments were political. Experimental technically but political? 

Then I read about the stories of ranchers and vets taking Ivermectin without the guidance of a doctor and I realized those stories have probably created a reluctance to the idea of a hospital administered dosage by pill. And that the Florida governor was promoting Regeneron so people on the left were probably automatically discounting it as a treatment.  I asked the doctor, who I would describe as not a Trump supporter what she would do if she were sick? She said, these are both safe and anecdotally in use at this hospital they have been very effective. Having no medical knowledge myself I said I have no political belief that would preclude me from being for or against my treatment. If it’s not dangerous then the downside is it just is not effective then let’s go. 

Without the vaccine, for sure my brother would have been in serious trouble. He checks most of the at risk boxes. Even with the vaccine, a breakthrough case was extremely dangerous. After three days in the hospital he did not require a ventilator and is likely getting out today. I’m glad to see Fauci announce Regeneron is a viable treatment and I hope that Ivermectrin’s clinical trial shows promising results. I just hope that all of the recent headlines have not politicized these treatments if they are indeed effective (and now one of them has been verified as effective). 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I really am shocked there are still healthcare workers in the icu. Its amazing that people are still going to work everyday knowing that the government and general populace is literally cumming on their face every chance they get

I’ve noticed in the interviews that they’re completely out of fucks to give.  They could give a shit what happens to these people and I don’t blame them.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And that the Florida governor was promoting Regeneron so people on the left were probably automatically discounting it as a treatment.  

If the doctor is a Trump supporter then this comment makes sense.  People weren't discounting Regeneron as a treatment because DeSantis was promoting it.  People questioned why DeSantis was pushing it so hard over other options (treatment and prevention) in light of the significant financial ties he had with the company and its ownership.

The only people making medical decisions on something other than the science are the uneducated and misinformed, you know, Trump supporters.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

My brother, a stroke survivor and very much an at risk patient is likely to be discharged from a California hospital today. He was fully vaccinated with the Pfizer shot in March. No hesitation taking the vaccine in anyone in my family fortunately. He had a breakthrough case that required hospitalization. I am his family contact so I spent most of the week on the phone with the doctor about his treatment. First question I get - “what is your political belief? We are using medicine for at risk patients that are currently in clinical trials but some people are not comfortable with that.”  I was floored. How is my political belief at all relevant to treating a patient in the hospital? She went on to say some people are not comfortable with Regeneron or Ivermectrin due to the political nature of the drugs. I knew the vaccine had become a political topic on the right but did not know that treatments were political. Experimental technically but political? 

Then I read about the stories of ranchers and vets taking Ivermectin without the guidance of a doctor and I realized those stories have probably created a reluctance to the idea of a hospital administered dosage by pill. And that the Florida governor was promoting Regeneron so people on the left were probably automatically discounting it as a treatment.  I asked the doctor, who I would describe as not a Trump supporter what she would do if she were sick? She said, these are both safe and anecdotally in use at this hospital they have been very effective. Having no medical knowledge myself I said I have no political belief that would preclude me from being for or against my treatment. If it’s not dangerous then the downside is it just is not effective then let’s go. 

Without the vaccine, for sure my brother would have been in serious trouble. He checks most of the at risk boxes. Even with the vaccine, a breakthrough case was extremely dangerous. After three days in the hospital he did not require a ventilator and is likely getting out today. I’m glad to see Fauci announce Regeneron is a viable treatment and I hope that Ivermectrin’s clinical trial shows promising results. I just hope that all of the recent headlines have not politicized these treatments if they are indeed effective (and now one of them has been verified as effective). 

I'm going to guess that something like 97% of the people who believe that Regeneron and Ivermectin are proven, effective treatments for Covid--but are being kept from the general public for political reasons--are unvaccinated. That's probably low.

Again, I'm all for the continued research and trials of ANY drug that the medical community deems worthwhile, in the event that more proven treatments--like the vaccine--aren't enough. That's not what's happening here though. Dipshits are completely bypassing their doctors using incomplete, sometimes fraudulent data as an excuse to not get vaccinated.

So of course there's going to be a fucking stigma associated with whatever these idiots are experimenting with rather than taking the vaccine. They have a history of extremely poor choices.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Just another reason for people not to get the vaccine. They will get covid. Some will die. Rinse repeat 

There are millions and millions in this country who will never, ever get the COVID-19 vaccine. Ever. It doesn't matter how many vaxx mandates are instituted -- if they are instituted. They won't travel to NYC -- damn Yankees! -- or go overseas. Let's face it -- the majority of these provincial morons weren't doing that anyways. They will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars buying faked vaccine cards if necessary. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is going to change their minds at this point. Not even death.

I say fuck them and could give two shits other than the fact that they are taking up valuable medical resources for the rest of us doing our civic duty. I 100% agree with adding a stupidity tax on their daily lives. Don't want the vaccine? OK, your health insurance premiums are higher. You want life insurance? Do you smoke? Have you been vaccinated for COVID-19? Yes. Nope goddammit. Great, you're in the "high risk" tier and you pay more. Hospitals are a little full and you show up at the hospital presenting with COVID-19.. Here, take a number and have a seat in your car. We'll get to you if we can.

giphy.gif

Fuck. Around. Find. Out.

Edited by C-Man
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 6