CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

On 7/17/2021 at 12:01 AM, Chuckie Finster said:

There’s going to be a point in the near future when it becomes undeniable that pretty much only Republicans are dying from this thing. Just watch: certain politicians will use this as proof that the Democrats played a role in the formation/spread of COVID.

Reports that I’ve read are that African-American and Hispanics populations are being vaccinated at a much lower rate that Asians and Whites. I’m not sure your theory will play out that way.

6 fully vaccinated people who attended an outdoor wedding caught the Delta variant, but people with Pfizer and Moderna shots survived, study says

Six fully vaccinated people who attended an outdoor wedding in Texas got COVID-19, a new study says.
All the breakthrough infections were in guests over 50.
There were two serious cases, including one death: an attendee who'd had India's Covaxin vaccine.
Six fully vaccinated people who attended an outdoor wedding in Texas in April came down with COVID-19, a new study says - a small outbreak that underscores how effective vaccines are against even variants of the virus.
Though the vaccines made by Pfizer and Moderna may not knock out every COVID-19 case, especially now that the more infectious Delta variant dominates across the US, they are very good at preventing death from COVID-19.
The preprint study from Baylor College of Medicine found that only one person who'd recently gotten an Indian-made vaccine, Covaxin, died after attending the 92-person wedding near Houston.
The wedding took place in a "large, open-air tent" before the Delta variant was circulating widely in the US. Guests were required to be fully vaccinated at the event, though that policy operated on the honor system.
The study's authors said they suspect the Delta variant was introduced at the wedding by two people who had traveled from India and tested negative before their flight but developed symptoms in the US. All the COVID-19 patients said they'd had close encounters with those two people during the wedding, according to the study.
All six guests who contracted symptomatic COVID-19 after the wedding were over 50. Two had gotten the vaccine from Pfizer, two had gotten the vaccine from Moderna, and two had gotten an Indian-made vaccine called Covaxin, the study said. Their infections were confirmed with lab tests and viral sequencing for Delta, it said.
Each experienced some common symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, cough, fatigue, and body aches, the study said. Those who'd gotten the Moderna and Covaxin vaccines also lost their sense of smell.
One Covaxin recipient and one person who'd gotten Pfizer's vaccine came down with more severe infections, the study said. The latter was a man in his 60s with no known medical conditions that increase the odds of contracting COVID-19 - he was hospitalized and given Regeneron's monoclonal antibody treatment (the same one President Donald Trump received) 10 days after the wedding. The Covaxin recipient, a man in his late 60s (also with no COVID-19 comorbidities), died from complications of COVID-19. The other people who contracted symptomatic COVID-19 after the wedding had preconditions including hypertension and diabetes or were classified as overweight, the study said.
Both wedding attendees who had Covaxin got their second shots in India, just 12 days before the wedding, study author Timothy Farinholt from Baylor College of Medicine told Insider. He suspects that may be the reason why they got infected with the Delta variant in the first place, because their second shot hadn't had enough time to take full effect.
"It's very difficult with a sample size as small as this to give any sort of definitive or cut-and-dry answer as far as, 'oh, Pfizer is better than Moderna, or better than Covaxin,'" Farinholt said.
"What is important to glean from this is that it isn't over until we reach some sort of theoretical max vaccination point, and we start curbing the spread of whatever variant is currently predominant."
Vaccines help prevent severe sickness
Rochelle Walensky, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has said vaccinated people should still get a COVID-19 test if they experience symptoms like a runny nose, sore throat, or cough, which can be indicative of a mild Delta infection among fully vaccinated people.
"What I would say is if you have those upper-respiratory symptoms and you've been vaccinated, you should absolutely get a COVID-19 test," Walensky said during a White House COVID-19 briefing last week.
But she also stressed that preliminary data from the past few months suggested that 99.5% of coronavirus deaths in the US were occurring in unvaccinated people.
"Those deaths were preventable with a simple, safe shot," she said.
During the briefing, Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden's chief medical advisor, pointed to real-world data from Scotland and England suggesting that the vaccines authorized in the US are highly effective at preventing the most disastrous cases from this variant.
"Please get vaccinated," Fauci said. "It will protect you against the surging of the Delta variant."
Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated who got the monoclonal antibody treatment. It was a person who'd gotten Pfizer's vaccine, not Covaxin.
https://news.yahoo.com/6-fully-vaccinated-people-caught-154610774.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKpI1eMaL86_yAjZ-DRbzNNxpjLSV7JfdCaswjAQMrzujYEK0JiMkNBT-vjYKuINUDjrCUTKeVGuS7tGaeZaQKPckDlK_YJOwQ_p9AQX2wtczqtrYHd6O3xSI8VFIUSZToR2sETQ2ztI0s1sBEDes8HdVgjCie4-lKWvHfeyxaAm

The CDC now saying if you're symptomatic to get tested even if vaccinated is news to me.  I had thought we were told if vaccinated to not get tested.  

I’ve never heard of guidance saying not to get tested if symptomatic.

jesus some shit on this page is hard to read.

hello from Oz. for perspective, I am one of say 1.5M people here fully vaccinated (8% I believe) - and I can only leave my fucking apartment for 1 hour a day. I am so far past angry I don't even know where to begin. We are our own flavor of stupid. We are run by 75 year old boomers who haven't had a single problem their entire lives. Permanent crisis mode, awful at solving actual problems. 

Anyway, please to send some vaccines to us. Pfizers preferred as we have bungled the AZ so bad people believe its instand death when you say AZ three times in the mirror

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

7% who took the shot believes it causes autism and 9% think it gave them a microchip?

These are the same people who claim it was a bioweapon that China lost control over, and that Trump is fully responsible for getting a vaccine out so fast, but they won't take Trump's vaccine to counter-act a Chinese bioweapon.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

jesus some shit on this page is hard to read.
hello from Oz. for perspective, I am one of say 1.5M people here fully vaccinated (8% I believe) - and I can only leave my fucking apartment for 1 hour a day. I am so far past angry I don't even know where to begin. We are our own flavor of stupid. We are run by 75 year old boomers who haven't had a single problem their entire lives. Permanent crisis mode, awful at solving actual problems. 
Anyway, please to send some vaccines to us. Pfizers preferred as we have bungled the AZ so bad people believe its instand death when you say AZ three times in the mirror

One of my closest friends in NYC is from Oz. And another friend lives there currently as her dad has been ill (not COVID related). They are both beyond pissed at how everything is being handled.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:01 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

There’s going to be a point in the near future when it becomes undeniable that pretty much only Republicans are dying from this thing. Just watch: certain politicians will use this as proof that the Democrats played a role in the formation/spread of COVID.

And who did this demo vote for?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/young-black-americans-are-most-likely-to-avoid-covid-19-vaccine-11614378542

You guys really overestimate the amount of people who are immersed in or care about either political party. A lot of people are simply apathetic.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, lmao said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/young-black-americans-are-most-likely-to-avoid-covid-19-vaccine-11614378542

You guys really overestimate the amount of people who are immersed in or care about either political party. A lot of people are simply apathetic.

You keep citing an article that says almost 25% of blacks under 40 won’t get vaccinated. How large of a number do you think that is?

26 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

You keep citing an article that says almost 25% of blacks under 40 won’t get vaccinated. How large of a number do you think that is?

Dude, it isn't just white Trump supporters. How many times do we have to go over this? The demo that doesn't want to take the Covid vaccine is pretty damn diverse. I know it's much easier to look at this thing as a binary but that's just not the case. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, lmao said:

Dude, it isn't just white Trump supporters. How many times do we have to go over this? The demo that doesn't want to take the Covid vaccine is pretty damn diverse. I know it's much easier to look at this thing as a binary but that's just not the case. 

The raw numbers point to white conservatives as the overwhelming problem.  Sure, they're in the majority demographic, but if we're looking to get shots in arms, that needs to be where the messaging is targeted.

You know this.  You just want to deflect blame.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, lmao said:

lmao

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, lmao said:

Yes there are young black dudes who won’t get the vaccine. They aren’t the problem because while they may spread the Covid, it likely won’t harm them and they are by definition a minority.

The problem is the 30-60 year old white dumbass trumpkins who are prevalent, will spread the disease, will take up valuable hospital beds, and some will die because they are complete and total morons. 

the only vax hesitant person I have in my immediate orbit is a decidedly left oriented fitness buff that can’t be convinced to take the vax. I tried to convince her to just do one mRNA shot tonight before she travels overseas, but no traction. 

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

One of my closest friends in NYC is from Oz. And another friend lives there currently as her dad has been ill (not COVID related). They are both beyond pissed at how everything is being handled.

yeah. take this - there are still 30k+ Australian citizens that cannot get home for 15 months now. That is astonishing. We have a zero tolerance policy while refusing to invest in improving the quarantine process. So we just keep cutting flights while doing nothing else. Astonishing incompetence. And not only that the covid outbreaks happen in the quarantine process they have refused to improve. over and over again.

Meanwhile empty fucking planes are landing at our airports snakes on empty planes!

all while this monster is allowed to fly over caitlyn jenner comes to australia to film a fucking reality TV show.

Can you imagine being a separated family and seeing that ^ holy shit. we are over it. just hoping there are plane flights left when we can leave

sorry for the sidetrack. was just offering perspective from elsewhere and just needed to vent and this fucking BS. thanks for listening

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, lmao said:

States Biden Won Are Leading On Vaccines. Trump States Lag : NPR

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/1004430257/theres-a-stark-red-blue-divide-when-it-comes-to-states-vaccination-rates

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, lmao said:

You may want to check the date on that story.

10 hours ago, lmao said:

You may want to check the date on that story.

42 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I guess he releases multiple statements every day now on his website since he can't tweet?  But yeah, he's celebrating low vaccine rates and sowing seeds of doubt in the vaccine.

spacer.png

Man, if he and GOP really wanted to push this and take full credit for the vaccine rollout, I'd be all for it, knowing that it would get more people to the clinic. But, nah, pretending to be anti-vax is the best way to stick it to the Democrats.

• Rage+1 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:31 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I posted this video from a news report from MO last November. Many in the small county were opposed to wearing masks because as they said, "I'm not a Democrat." You can only imagine the pushback to vaccines. Which I looked up. 27% adults in the county are vaccinated. They're also in that hotspot map with new daily 21 per 100K residents.  

Checked in on my favorite MO county, Carter,  from the vid I previously posted. They were against masks and vaccines; 28% of adults vaccinated. And they were doing ok. Past tense not now. It's a small county of 6-7K people. Sadly they're exploding with new cases lately. Something tells me that most are not even adjusting their life even though their neighbors are sick. I don't see how COVID is going to do anything but hasten the decline of small town America.

CCMO - Copy.JPG

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yep, 100% that the red states are lagging. Your chart is an easy demonstration of that. But that doesn't mean that only white republicans in each state are the only groups refusing to get vaccinated. Some minority communities are also doing poorly with their #s.

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

JFC, just die already, you orange piece of shit. 

Thing is, his death, even by natural causes, will never be accepted at face value as being that.  It will be a product of the "Deep State", or "Biden had him killed", etc.

Half of our country will treat his death like that of Elvis.

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Thing is, his death, even by natural causes, will never be accepted at face value as being that.  It will be a product of the "Deep State", or "Biden had him killed", etc.

Definitely.  And if he's able, he'll promote such a conspiracy to his last breath.  

26 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That's a consequence I'm willing to live w/.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it almost did. he had to be given some miracle drug to combat it.

I know. And he lied about the severity of it and immediately removed his mask and posed like a tough guy on the balcony when he got back to the White House and sent completely the wrong message to his followers. 

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This is ridiculous since we all know Elvis didn’t really die but he left Earth to go back to his home planet.  

I know a lot of crazy people will blame Biden when Trump dies but Grimace, Ronald and The Hamburglar will have played a much bigger role in his demise.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I don't disagree with the message.  I'm not going to go out of my way to protect those who refuse to get vaccinated.

That's not the point. I have no issue with people making their own stupid decisions. That's humanity for ya.

That there are prominent Senators and "journalists" getting off on spreading anti-vaccine rhetoric and lying about its dangers, directly leading to more spread and death, is disgusting. While they themselves have been vaccinated for months. All for a few political points.

Even the most adamant Trumper would potentially be be swayed if Tucker Carlson was on TV every day being truthful about the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

That's not the point. I have no issue with people making their own stupid decisions. That's humanity for ya.

That there are prominent Senators and "journalists" getting off on spreading anti-vaccine rhetoric and lying about its dangers, directly leading to more spread and death, is disgusting. While they themselves have been vaccinated for months. All for a few political points.

Even the most adamant Trumper would potentially be be swayed if Tucker Carlson was on TV every day being truthful about the vaccine.

I don't disagree but none of that was in that video.  I'm responding to the video, most of which is quoted in the tweet.  Which is...I don't disagree with what Doocy is saying.  He chose to get vaccinated.  Others chose not to.  Choices have consequences and we can't continue to protect those who made a poor choice.  Nor do most of them want us to.

23 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This is what really pisses me off.

This is fear mongering. It isn’t any worse than RSV or the flu to kids.

Here’s a newsflash. With the delta variant around, before the vaccine is approved in kids almost all your children will be exposed to covid. And the overwhelming majority will be fine. 

20 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My almost ten year old spent the ride home from church this morning trying to convince me to help him get a shot. 

Did you tell him he doesn’t need to worry about it?

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Reports that I’ve read are that African-American and Hispanics populations are being vaccinated at a much lower rate that Asians and Whites. I’m not sure your theory will play out that way.

I currently have a young black patient at my naturopathic gender transition clinic that is a covid denier. Refused to be tested because it’s fake. I was honestly amazed it wasn’t an obvious redneck. 

• Fuck You 8