CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, berlinerbaer said:

My son's kindergarten class has had two confirmed cases since school started last Wednesday. Yesterday, we got a call from the nurse that he is a close contact with the second case, which happened on Monday. He will be getting tested Saturday. We thought about pulling him but it sounds like other parents are doing that so his class is down to about 60% capacity, which seems safer. With remote learning starting next week, we should expect smaller class sizes going forward. He is a pro at mask wearing, which helps us feel a lot better. Daughter is one of only 4 kids in her daycare class. I'm not concerned about her.

We are supposed to go to a cousin's wedding in Wisconsin next week. If the test comes back negative and there are no more close contacts until then, we've decided to make the trip. Getting the hell out of Texas is my main rationale.

What is the best way to test a five year-old? My wife and I want to take the rapid test that's now available before the trip. Anyone have experience with those?

kindergarten?  GET HIM THE HELL OUT OF THERE TOMORROW MORNING

field report:

walmart at 121 and preston yesterday looked like a bomb went off, worst sacking of a mart i've seen for the entire rona

but i think that's a good sign

people be 'freakin

april 1 moderna 2

fuck december 1

targeting for after labor day

if i were going to fayettenam for pig i would make sure the tank is topped off

• Haha 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

is that bad?  i mean, you know, the rule of law, following the rules and shit, they don't have to do that, right?    they could file in terlingua if they wanted, right?

Probably a tad embarrassing for the AG's office but it's not bad or good. It's meaningless. It's a complete non-story.

In the good news for me front:

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown on Thursday announced that every teacher in the state must be vaccinated against COVID-19, a reversal from her earlier assertionsthat superintendents and individual districts must decide on that requirement for themselves.

The rule goes into effect this fall and applies to other school staff and volunteers, the Oregon Department of Education said. Staff, faculty and volunteers may not opt out of the vaccination requirement unless they have a documented medical or religious exemption, agency spokeperson Marc Siegel said.

Houston right wing radio had a clip of Nigel butt face from the uk going on about uk being open / deaths being low BECAUSE of the vaccine and high vaccination rates. Hou radio cuts back - ‘Except for the vaccine part, just open the everything up !!!! Biden, Dems and liberals want everything closed !!!! The uk did it, lower death rates !!!! *But ignore the part about vaccinations’ 

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Edited by tx 3 putt

9 hours ago, Born to Run said:
10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:
It’s all the black peoples fault! 

Fucking racist piece of dogshit. 

Dude barely even tries to bullshit and still wins office. Pick any regard on here, and they would still be better suited for that office. Lane Bryant looking asshole clown fuck face.

AND he's a fuckin' Carpetbagging Yankee from Maryland with a fake name.

• Hook 'Em 1

Williamson County is a piece of shit. They waited seven months to offer inmates at the jail vaccines.  Of course, it's now a cluster.  Many of the inmates were released and are now God knows where.

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/they-dont-deserve-to-die-central-texas-jail-waited-7-months-to-offer-jail-population-covid-19-vaccine/

Welp, got the call last night that I've been expecting and dreading since this whole shitshow started - my mom and dad both tested positive yesterday.  Both unvaxxed, mom is in good health, dad is 70 y.o., overweight, has emphysema, still hits the lung darts and has had some heart issues within the last few years.  Mom got it at an exercise class last Thursday, started feeling shitty on Sunday and has been in bed most of the week.  Dad has no symptoms yet but both of them tested positive yesterday.
The way they've approached Covid has been a huge source of tension in our family pretty much the entire time.  I pleaded, begged, yelled, cussed at them, etc. to get the jab, but they wouldn't do it.  They check all the nutter boxes - talked up and maybe took HCQ, resisted wearing masks, bragged to me this summer about finding a "holistic" doctor to give them Ivermectin and got mad at me when (pre-vax) I didn't want to take my family to large family gatherings with people that I knew were being careless.
The hell of it is, my pops told me that after they tested positive yesterday that they somehow got their hands on and took the antibody treatment.  He reluctantly admitted to me that it wasn't FDA approved and was experimental, but has shown good results according to people they talked to.  What the fucking fuck!?  The vax is scary, will magnetize your arm, isn't approved, was rushed, whatever, but the antibody treatment when your chickens finally come home to roost is just A-O-Fucking-K!?
They live in a small town that doesn't have the capabilities to treat someone crashing with Covid, so I don't know where they will go if things go pear-shaped.  My hope is that pops getting the antibody treatment before symptoms might save his ass.  I don't really know how effective they are, but it certainly can't hurt.  They've got a pulse Ox and are monitoring their levels, so far so good.
I'm so fucking bitter this morning but am trying my best to be stoic.  The echo chamber of BS is very real and very dangerous.

Ugh.

6 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Welp, got the call last night that I've been expecting and dreading since this whole shitshow started - my mom and dad both tested positive yesterday.  Both unvaxxed, mom is in good health, dad is 70 y.o., overweight, has emphysema, still hits the lung darts and has had some heart issues within the last few years.  Mom got it at an exercise class last Thursday, started feeling shitty on Sunday and has been in bed most of the week.  Dad has no symptoms yet but both of them tested positive yesterday.

The way they've approached Covid has been a huge source of tension in our family pretty much the entire time.  I pleaded, begged, yelled, cussed at them, etc. to get the jab, but they wouldn't do it.  They check all the nutter boxes - talked up and maybe took HCQ, resisted wearing masks, bragged to me this summer about finding a "holistic" doctor to give them Ivermectin and got mad at me when (pre-vax) I didn't want to take my family to large family gatherings with people that I knew were being careless.

The hell of it is, my pops told me that after they tested positive yesterday that they somehow got their hands on and took the antibody treatment.  He reluctantly admitted to me that it wasn't FDA approved and was experimental, but has shown good results according to people they talked to.  What the fucking fuck!?  The vax is scary, will magnetize your arm, isn't approved, was rushed, whatever, but the antibody treatment when your chickens finally come home to roost is just A-O-Fucking-K!?

They live in a small town that doesn't have the capabilities to treat someone crashing with Covid, so I don't know where they will go if things go pear-shaped.  My hope is that pops getting the antibody treatment before symptoms might save his ass.  I don't really know how effective they are, but it certainly can't hurt.  They've got a pulse Ox and are monitoring their levels, so far so good.

I'm so fucking bitter this morning but am trying my best to be stoic.  The echo chamber of BS is very real and very dangerous.

man, i'm sorry to hear that.  what a nightmare.  good luck to them.

• Hook 'Em 4

Oh, the antivaxxers have found a new thread to grasp at -- "leaked" Israeli data that.....doesn't match up with the data from literally ANY other source (supposedly showing that the vaccinated get COVID and die MORE often than unvaccinated):

Note the fact that it ignores the "base rate" fallacy (that is, what is the base number of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated?  For example, in Iceland, where there ARE breakthrough cases, on a per-segment of population, you have a 6-in-1,000 chance of catching COVID if you are vaccinated, vs. an 18-in-1,000 chance if you are unvaccinated, and the numbers show a similarly increasing spread when you look at hospitalization/death).  And nevermind the data right here in the US (this chart is just as of July 1 -- the spread gets even worse going into July):

2547186_1625656875106.png

Or just looking at a sample state like Wisconsin, here are the current rates PER POPULATION SEGMENT:

Per 100k fully vaccinated people: 125.4 cases, 4.9 hospitalizations, .1 deaths.

Per 100k unvaccinated people: 369.2 cases, 18.2 hospitalizations, 1.1 deaths.

So to break that down into a "for a given person" statement: an unvaccinated person is about 3X as likely to contract COVID, over 3.5X as likely to end up in the hospital, and 11X as likely to die from COVID as a vaccinated person.

Yet the antivaxxers still have a LITERAL death-grip on some notion that the vaccine apparently actually CAUSES COVID and/or makes you sicker.  It's fucking insanity.  State, after state, country after country, produces outcomes like Wisconsin, Iceland, the UK, etc.......but they're grabbing onto some shadowy notion that there is secret data in Israel that shows that you are MORE likely to have a bad outcome if you are vaccinated.  Fucking collective insanity.

• Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Hold tight, TB.  Know that your effort is appreciated -- maybe not by the morons who are causing this, but by the rest of us, it really is.  And we're angry FOR you.  We'll carry that anger torch for a while forever.  You just do what you gotta do to, you know, save human lives -- it's what you do.  And do whatever you have to do to keep yourself going through the process.

When this surge passes, and you all can come up for air, I'll commit to putting the first $100 towards a bar tab for you and any of your colleagues anywhere you want.

FIFY. I'll kick in $100 too.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, the antivaxxers have found a new thread to grasp at -- "leaked" Israeli data that.....doesn't match up with the data from literally ANY other source (supposedly showing that the vaccinated get COVID and die MORE often than unvaccinated):

Note the fact that it ignores the "base rate" fallacy (that is, what is the base number of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated?  For example, in Iceland, where there ARE breakthrough cases, on a per-segment of population, you have a 6-in-1,000 chance of catching COVID if you are vaccinated, vs. an 18-in-1,000 chance if you are unvaccinated, and the numbers show a similarly increasing spread when you look at hospitalization/death).  And nevermind the data right here in the US (this chart is just as of July 1 -- the spread gets even worse going into July):

2547186_1625656875106.png

Or just looking at a sample state like Wisconsin, here are the current rates PER POPULATION SEGMENT:

Per 100k fully vaccinated people: 125.4 cases, 4.9 hospitalizations, .1 deaths.

Per 100k unvaccinated people: 369.2 cases, 18.2 hospitalizations, 1.1 deaths.

So to break that down into a "for a given person" statement: an unvaccinated person is about 3X as likely to contract COVID, over 3.5X as likely to end up in the hospital, and 11X as likely to die from COVID as a vaccinated person.

Yet the antivaxxers still have a LITERAL death-grip on some notion that the vaccine apparently actually CAUSES COVID and/or makes you sicker.  It's fucking insanity.  State, after state, country after country, produces outcomes like Wisconsin, Iceland, the UK, etc.......but they're grabbing onto some shadowy notion that there is secret data in Israel that shows that you are MORE likely to have a bad outcome if you are vaccinated.  Fucking collective insanity.

That dipshit doctor apparently seems to think dismissing the use of ivermectin in treatment for COVID-19 is some massive scandal in the medical world.

Just now, C-Man said:

That dipshit doctor apparently seems to think dismissing the use of ivermectin in treatment for COVID-19 is some massive scandal in the medical world.

Yeah......they all know a guy who knows a dr. who has treated 500 seriously ill patients with ivermectin, and they were all turning handsprings within 3 days.......yet not a single viable study of ivermectin shows that.  Because, of course, it's all a conspiracy by Big Pharma and the lizard people to keep any effective therapeutics repressed, so their plan of exterminating humanity with a vaccination that will make all of our heads explode after 18 months can proceed unimpeded.  Or some batshit like that.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

What is the best way to test a five year-old? My wife and I want to take the rapid test that's now available before the trip. Anyone have experience with those?

Picked up these from CVS yesterday.  (negative, yay!)

image.jpeg.67b33dd7f2881d5146e51b893ec5011c.jpeg

Super simple with pretty thorough instructions.  Only requires a swab of the inside of the nostril (not all the way deep in your skull) and results in 15 mins.  Not sure I'd trust these if my life depended on it, but certainly seem good enough to get some peace of mind for a kid.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I don't really know what to say anymore tbh. What happened last night is hard to put into words for anyone who hasn't worked in a hospital healthcare setting. Just unreal. Everyone is getting fucked. Patients, staff, family, everyone. Hard decisions are having to be made, and they aren't even related to COVID, but COVID demanded they be made. 

This can't continue for long. It's not sustainable. Things are starting to crack. We've got a few tricks left to try and patch the holes in the dam, but will it actually make a difference in time? Everything escalated so quickly; I don't even remember what last week was like. Hard decisions are already being made. 

Please get vaccinated. Please don't engage in dangerous activities. Please take your BP meds. Please take your insulin. If you can't get the meds you need, please beg your doctor or your pharmacist or whomever had access to those meds. We can't properly take care of you in the hospital right now. Or at least your chances of "properly" being taken care of are much much less than they were a month ago. Maybe you'll get lucky and be given to a nurse who isn't already covered shit and blood and tragedy and has a spark of life left in them. Maybe your family member will be that lucky. Or maybe you/they'll get a FEMA nurse or traveler who has had literally one shift of orientation before being let loose on their own (for 3x the pay of your local nurses, who oriented them). I seem to be really fucking bitter about that??

I hope it's Food Truck Friday night tonight. I don't have too high of a hope, but I need something other than what I've been drinking this morning. Which is a lot.

Hang in there.  Your work is appreciated so much more than you know.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I don't really know what to say anymore tbh. What happened last night is hard to put into words for anyone who hasn't worked in a hospital healthcare setting. Just unreal. Everyone is getting fucked. Patients, staff, family, everyone. Hard decisions are having to be made, and they aren't even related to COVID, but COVID demanded they be made. 

This can't continue for long. It's not sustainable. Things are starting to crack. We've got a few tricks left to try and patch the holes in the dam, but will it actually make a difference in time? Everything escalated so quickly; I don't even remember what last week was like. Hard decisions are already being made. 

Please get vaccinated. Please don't engage in dangerous activities. Please take your BP meds. Please take your insulin. If you can't get the meds you need, please beg your doctor or your pharmacist or whomever had access to those meds. We can't properly take care of you in the hospital right now. Or at least your chances of "properly" being taken care of are much much less than they were a month ago. Maybe you'll get lucky and be given to a nurse who isn't already covered shit and blood and tragedy and has a spark of life left in them. Maybe your family member will be that lucky. Or maybe you/they'll get a FEMA nurse or traveler who has had literally one shift of orientation before being let loose on their own (for 3x the pay of your local nurses, who oriented them). I seem to be really fucking bitter about that??

I hope it's Food Truck Friday night tonight. I don't have too high of a hope, but I need something other than what I've been drinking this morning. Which is a lot.

'Hang in there' probably rings pretty hollow at this point but I don't know what else to say. Y'all are doing exceptional -- and apparently under-appreciated -- work.

I wish I could rage/rep your post 1000 times. (I'm also in for a hundo on the bar tab.)

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Thank you for sharing your perspectives.  I honestly don't see how health care workers can remain so engaged and committed to your service with so much BS flying around.  I greatly appreciate you giving us a view of what is going on "in the shit."  Keep the faith.  You are doing great work.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

My anti-vax brother finally got the shot yesterday (I assume because of a work mandate). J&J. The mother fucker had an almost immediate reaction. They gave him two doses of epinephrine and hospitalized overnight. Out now and totally fine, but sheesh, this is going to ratchet his crazy up to new levels.

Good news is he can't go back. So what's done is done

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hold tight, TB.  Know that your effort is appreciated -- maybe not by the morons who are causing this, but by the rest of us, it really is.  And we're angry FOR you.  We'll carry that anger torch for a while.  You just do what you gotta do to, you know, save human lives -- it's what you do.  And do whatever you have to do to keep yourself going through the process.

When this surge passes, and you all can come up for air, I'll commit to putting the first $100 towards a bar tab for you and any of your colleagues anywhere you want.

Yeah, I am in for $100 towards that bar tab as well.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

10 hours ago, Bookman said:

Probably a tad embarrassing for the AG's office but it's not bad or good. It's meaningless. It's a complete non-story.

AG's office is completely incapable of being embarrassed by this point.  Moose out front should have told you.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm in for $100.  TB, just let everyone know when/where/how.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, Earl Haffler said:

So in areas with filled ICUs, how do you feel about triaging admittance based on vaccination status?  Those vaccinated get ICU beds over the non-vaccinated?  I'd be all for it.

This should have been done awhile ago.  If you want to eschew first world medicine, then fucking eschew it, assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Hold tight, TB.  Know that your effort is appreciated -- maybe not by the morons who are causing this, but by the rest of us, it really is.  And we're angry FOR you.  We'll carry that anger torch for a while.  You just do what you gotta do to, you know, save human lives -- it's what you do.  And do whatever you have to do to keep yourself going through the process.

Seriously need to start a go fund me.  I'll match your $100.