CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

28 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

With omicron, defintiely. Cloth masks can go in the trash. Loose fitting surgical ones too. All Covid cosplay. 

I guess if you’re saying everyone is wearing N95s appropriately it could help, but that’s not what we’re talking about. 

You are quite literally making shit up.

8 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

It took me about 5 minutes to sign up for my Covid booster with CVS. And the appointment took about 15, and that is with also getting a screaming 5-year old boosted. 

That was not my experience in nyc. Very similar experience to FTC’s. From about second week of December to now it’s been weeks wait. Hopefully it gets easier after omicron dies down 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

And studies have indicated that the boosters are helpful, particular in relation to Omicron. So, it isn't like getting a booster is worthless. I can't imagine the political shitstorm it would cause were Biden to ship a hundred million doses of vaccines around the world while hospitals fill in the US and nearly 1.3 thousand die daily in the US . 

That is a good point.

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

New high record in cases (750,000)… deaths the highest since late September

Early on in the pandemic I was looking at infection and death rates a couple of times a day it seemed.  Then I just said "fuck it", what's the point.

Any particular good links with the cleanest easiest to read US and world graphs?  I'm probably less interested in state and local than I am country and world. 

14 hours ago, Born to Run said:
14 hours ago, Captainant said:
Update to this: apparently the entire crew AND band is sick and they've cancelled both weekends of PITS and are issuing refunds now.
I'm at least not completely screwed, but there's a good number of people who've already gotten to the resort and checked in and received their event swag.

That sucks man. The drummers had poor enough health this fall as it was.

Hopefully they weren't as sick as Spinal Tap drummers 

10 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

With omicron, defintiely. Cloth masks can go in the trash. Loose fitting surgical ones too. All Covid cosplay. 

I guess if you’re saying everyone is wearing N95s appropriately it could help, but that’s not what we’re talking about. 

Yes, if masks are worn appropriately, they help. If people follow the guidance of which masks to wear, it would help. Masks are not Covid cosplay. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:
Yeah.....similar to get my daughter's booster at Randalls.  And from walking in to getting the shot took her maybe 5-10 minutes.
My flu shot was even easier.  I was at HEB picking up some arugula and manchego and such -- you know, the usual weekly list -- and saw the pharmacy sign that said "Flu shots available."  I walked up -- "Can I get one?"  Sure, fill out this form.  Sat down, filled out the form, handed it back, 5 minutes later, left after getting my shot.
And then went home and made a nice salad with dinner, using lemon and olive oil for the dressing.  Kept it simple, but delicious.

What did you use to chop the lettuce?

Edit: for @Baboontyme

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

What did you use to chop the lettuce?

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

why chop arugula?

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Because HEB was out of broccoli.

Obligatory:

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Early on in the pandemic I was looking at infection and death rates a couple of times a day it seemed.  Then I just said "fuck it", what's the point.

Any particular good links with the cleanest easiest to read US and world graphs?  I'm probably less interested in state and local than I am country and world. 

I’ve been using the New York Times dashboard: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

that is the link to the main US page. You can back out to world view with the drop downs at the top (World > latest maps and data)

I look at the US map a few times a week. It was interesting watching the delta wave spread from Missouri south to the gulf, across to the Atlantic, and then north through Appalachia. It was also interesting to see how, at the county level, a difference of 10% in vaccination rate made a significant difference in delta’s spread and how currently omicron doesn’t give a fuck.   

Edited by heso
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You are quite literally making shit up.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Yes, if masks are worn appropriately, they help. If people follow the guidance of which masks to wear, it would help. Masks are not Covid cosplay. 

quote from the article. ID Doc at ucsf. 

“If everyone is just wearing a cloth mask or just a surgical mask, it won’t make any difference” with this highly-transmissible variant, she says.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

quote from the article. ID Doc at ucsf. 

“If everyone is just wearing a cloth mask or just a surgical mask, it won’t make any difference” with this highly-transmissible variant, she says.

What does she know?  UCSF, that's like being an astronomer at Michigan State.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Sigh

Our family went to K95s a good while back.  You can order a box of 20 on Amazon for cheap.  And they've already been required in several foreign countries and certain offices for a while, so it's just best to default to them.

And frankly, with the open space in the front of your mouth and nose inside the mask, I actually find them much easier to breathe in, so I prefer them.  

Fit it right, wear it, and it DOES have benefit, both for you and FROM you (confining your potentially infectious breath).  Nothing's perfect, but reasonably properly work KN95s are a demonstrated help.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Our family went to K95s a good while back.  You can order a box of 20 on Amazon for cheap.  And they've already been required in several foreign countries and certain offices for a while, so it's just best to default to them.

And frankly, with the open space in the front of your mouth and nose inside the mask, I actually find them much easier to breathe in, so I prefer them.  

Fit it right, wear it, and it DOES have benefit, both for you and FROM you (confining your potentially infectious breath).  Nothing's perfect, but reasonably properly work KN95s are a demonstrated help.

obligatory plug for these N95 replaceable filter masks. I wear mine on flights and it's pretty comfortable for extended periods, and the replaceable N95 is handy

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

We joked about people in cars alone still wearing their masks because real apex predator manly men are fat fucks who struggle to get enough oxygen.

Wearing a mask is like wearing shoes now.  I don't really notice it and sometimes forget I have it on.  If I am hopping from one store to the next, I don't bother to take it off.   

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Wearing a mask is like wearing shoes now.  I don't really notice it and sometimes forget I have it on.  If I am hopping from one store to the next, I don't bother to take it off.   

Well look at Mr. Fancy Man wearin his damn shoes all the time. Bet you even got an extra pair.

• Haha 3

To be fair to the mom, depending on the make and model of the vehicle, the daughter in the trunk is likely more than 6' socially distanced from the mom.  Unless it's one of these new hipster crossovers.  Dammit people, grow up and get a sedan with a big trunk like an adult. 

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Well look at Mr. Fancy Man wearin his damn shoes all the time. Bet you even got an extra pair.

Whooaaa oh oh. Big Man! He's just gonna go and get him a Tuscaloosa Dumpling. Like he's got a birth rite to it. "Look at me, Granny. I'm gonna have me a job and respect from my peers. Just 'cause I say so."

• Drool 1

Texas GOP has incredibly short memories.  It wasn't until COVID happened that Democrats really voted absentee in large numbers.  That was the GOP cleanup hitter.  When COVID is over, I'm sure it would go right back to it, except they've done whatever they can to make it more difficult for their team to get votes.  Makes no fucking sense to me.

Texas GOP has incredibly short memories.  It wasn't until COVID happened that Democrats really voted absentee in large numbers.  That was the GOP cleanup hitter.  When COVID is over, I'm sure it would go right back to it, except they've done whatever they can to make it more difficult for their team to get votes.  Makes no fucking sense to me.
There will be no lines in rural areas, just urban centers that skew heavy blue.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

The Texas GOP is a sad sack collection of horrible people. And seditious traitors. 

This was their web banner and social media profile pic last year

Logos - Republican Party of TexasRepublican Party of Texas

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1