CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I have tested every time I've come home from a work trip since the pandemic started.  Always tested negative, including on Friday.  I had a little bit of a cough when I got home plus a runny nose, and honestly wouldn't have thought to test again, assuming I had a cold, if we weren't going on vacation next week.  So I decided to test again just to make sure I'm doing all the shit I can do to make sure I'm negative by next week.  

I did feel a little extra tightness in my chest this morning which helped make the decision for me.  As an asthmatic, it's alarming to be getting chest tightness when you don't have at least some idea where it's coming from, but I still most likely wouldn't have tested if we weren't trying to get out of town next week, though.  

Also, feel more sure that I did get COVID in the first wave right when lockdowns were starting.  Cough, runny nose, chest tightness for a couple days after a work trip to New Orleans.  There weren't any tests then for me to find out for sure, but if this goes the way it did then, I should be back to 100% in the next couple days.

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hope it's mild for both of you.  Symptoms prompt the test, or known exposure?

symptoms for me.  Assumed it was allergies with the way I felt. Sinus pain ,headache, and cough.  Wasn't too bad. My nanny got it too and she's an overweight latina with diabetes, which are all huge comorbidity issues with covid.  We were quite worried however she's been vaxxed and boosted and she was only sick for a few days as well.  

• Hook 'Em 2

So, I tested positive 2 days ago. Felt better yesterday, feel basically back to normal today.  I'm locked up in my office and my husband has the run of the house, and he's also sick with a sore throat and cough and achiness, but he has tested COVID negative for 3 days in a row now.  How much longer do I need to stay sequestered before I start burning tests looking for a negative?

56 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So, I tested positive 2 days ago. Felt better yesterday, feel basically back to normal today.  I'm locked up in my office and my husband has the run of the house, and he's also sick with a sore throat and cough and achiness, but he has tested COVID negative for 3 days in a row now.  How much longer do I need to stay sequestered before I start burning tests looking for a negative?

Don't waste tests hunting for a negative you're unlikely to get. Day 0 was the day you tested positive. Isolate as well as you can for 5 days. Assuming your fever is gone, wear an N95 and go about your business for ~5 days. Then enjoy worry and mask free living for ~6 months.

Edited by B00M
I was fortunate to be vaccinated and boosted when I got the 'cron. It felt like a bad cold for a day. Our 4 year olds (gave it to me via the in laws) had brief fevers but nothing else.
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cases over 90k for first time in 2 months

although likely much higher than that because errybody prolly testing at home

It has to be much higher.

I’ve lost count of the people out with Covid in the last couple weeks.  It’s regodamnduculous.  Haven’t heard of any severe cases. My productivity is dogshit with all the people out.

21 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Wait, are people with non-serious cases not just continuing to work from home?  Am I doing this wrong?  Should I be using this as an opportunity to fuck off for a few days?

Acting like your job gives you paid sick that doesn't count against your vacation balance. In America. Adorable.

24 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Wait, are people with non-serious cases not just continuing to work from home?  Am I doing this wrong?  Should I be using this as an opportunity to fuck off for a few days?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/05/labor-productivity-fell-7point5percent-in-the-first-quarter-the-fastest-rate-since-1947.html

the entire country fucked off in q1.

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

My company has unlimited time off so...

How do you like it? My wife's last company had unlimited time off, and she hated it. Everyone had a perception (real or perceived) that their supervisors were keeping track of who took advantage of the system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

How do you like it? My wife's last company had unlimited time off, and she hated it. Everyone had a perception (real or perceived) that their supervisors were keeping track of who took advantage of the system. 

I love it, and my team loves it, but I'm one of those supervisors that listened to my supervisors and said that what this means is we expect everyone to take at least 1 week off per quarter.  We are going to be on your ass to take off more time if you don't get to at least 3 weeks off.  We aren't doing anything except rubber stamping requests unless the request is coming from someone that has already taken 6 weeks off.  We're still most likely going to approve it, but we're going to make sure that their teams aren't being affected negatively before we do.  Our company also has the culture that you are telling us you are taking time off on a particular day, you aren't asking for it, though, and we had that even before we made the switch.  I think for this system to work and be appreciated, company culture has to see vacation as a good thing for their employees to take and not a hit to productivity.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Don’t care for his politics, but I appreciate what Clapton has contributed to the world musically in the past.  I hope he recovers and reconsiders his opinions.

Yes, I also hope he recovers from the sniffles and occasional achoos.

Just an anecdote from this week - at least 3 people in my office got covid.  HR didn't tell anyone.  We all found it out on our own.  About half of my team is working from home since we found out.  I'm not super worried about the actual virus now (had it, plus 4 shots), but I am leaving the country in two weeks and I damn sure don't want to test positive.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just an anecdote from this week - at least 3 people in my office got covid.  HR didn't tell anyone.  We all found it out on our own.  About half of my team is working from home since we found out.  I'm not super worried about the actual virus now (had it, plus 4 shots), but I am leaving the country in two weeks and I damn sure don't want to test positive.

Testing positive happened to me 2 weeks before I was supposed to leave the country.  I had 1 day of a mild cold symptom wise, but I didn't finally start testing negative until yesterday.  My trip is intact, thank god, but we were going to have to start canceling things this morning to get our money back had the tests not finally flipped.  I have been full of the angry for the last week thinking my trip was gone, so I'm very very happy with this outcome.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Testing positive happened to me 2 weeks before I was supposed to leave the country.  I had 1 day of a mild cold symptom wise, but I didn't finally start testing negative until yesterday.  My trip is intact, thank god, but we were going to have to start canceling things this morning to get our money back had the tests not finally flipped.  I have been full of the angry for the last week thinking my trip was gone, so I'm very very happy with this outcome.  

Did you take paxlovid?  

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yep.

If you are doing serial testing watch out for the paxlovid rebound positivity. Let me find some reports to share to firm up the time frames, but there have been reports of people flipping positive again after going negative.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep we read about that for sure and since we're at the 10 day mark from symptom onset and both fully recovered, we figured we're safe to travel, especially since we  have doctor's note as proof of recovery to get us back in the country.  Even if we didn't have the note, and popped positive while over there, there are worse things than being stuck in a country with delicious food for a few extra days while trip insurance pays for you to quarantine.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Passed 120k cases per day a few days ago

id guess that is undercounting by 75%. 40% of my kids elementary school class was out last week with illness. 3 nurses, 4 techs, an anesthesiologist and a surgeon and two crnas have been out over the past 10 day span. 

Its ripping through the country fast. It seems its def a weaker strain, as everyone I have talked to seems mildly effected, all things considered. Also, it should hopefully peak within the next week or two. So the rest of the summer should be free and easy…. Provided monkeypox doesnt blow up

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Passed 120k cases per day a few days ago

id guess that is undercounting by 75%. 40% of my kids elementary school class was out last week with illness. 3 nurses, 4 techs, an anesthesiologist and a surgeon and two crnas have been out over the past 10 day span. 

Its ripping through the country fast. It seems its def a weaker strain, as everyone I have talked to seems mildly effected, all things considered. Also, it should hopefully peak within the next week or two. So the rest of the summer should be free and easy…. Provided monkeypox doesnt blow up

1653245585368-pol.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I love it, and my team loves it, but I'm one of those supervisors that listened to my supervisors and said that what this means is we expect everyone to take at least 1 week off per quarter.  We are going to be on your ass to take off more time if you don't get to at least 3 weeks off.  We aren't doing anything except rubber stamping requests unless the request is coming from someone that has already taken 6 weeks off.  We're still most likely going to approve it, but we're going to make sure that their teams aren't being affected negatively before we do.  Our company also has the culture that you are telling us you are taking time off on a particular day, you aren't asking for it, though, and we had that even before we made the switch.  I think for this system to work and be appreciated, company culture has to see vacation as a good thing for their employees to take and not a hit to productivity.

What industry?  This is opposite of both the “unlimited” places I’ve worked. I typically take off a few days after long travel only, on “earned” days.  That’s awesome y’all encourage quarterly time off. I used to have a boss complain about how everyone burned out, but wouldn’t let you take off for shit except Christmas.  He’d say we give you fuckers 4 weeks, and NO ONE takes it.  Bitch, you send us away from home for 250 days a year. Fuck you expect? 

*note- place I’m at now has unlimited, because president was at first place I/we had it.  Company was going down and lots of people had racked up hundreds of days of earned off time due to extended travel. When they were leaving, they were getting it mostly paid out. Too much cost, so they cut it for everyone.  I still remember the PM that left that caused the policy. Everyone was pissed at him for breaking the camels back.  Then my current prez took that idea to my current place.   Hope you can keep it up, great for your employees.