CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 hours ago, trauma babe said:

I dunno know who Sarah Jeong is, but she's 100% right. Stay out of the hospital (doesn't matter if for- or non-profit). Super dangerous to be there, especially if you're admitted for more than a day

Any further expansion on this or just because?

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, a coworker got covid a couple of weeks ago and he said the paxlovid effects on taste were awful.

Yeah imagine drinking a 5th of tequila while smoking 10 packs of cigarettes, walking into the bar restroom to throw up, then licking the floor and toilet handles.  If ever I was going to do all of that, I would expect it to create a similar taste in my mouth to paxlovid.  That was legit awful and it lasted the entire course of the treatment.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Any further expansion on this or just because?

Because hospitals now are staffed by a significant percentage of nurses who don't actually work for the hospital, and the nurses that do work for the hospital are underpaid, overworked, and don't give nearly as much of a shit about the quality of care they provide as they used to. Doctors are similarly overworked (and residents underpaid).

It's not that we don't care. It's that the last three years have beaten a lot of the drive and compassion we had out of us. I can't  even begin to describe the relief I felt the instant I stepped off of hospital property after my last shift there. It was akin to finally reaching the shoreline after busting out of Alcatraz (watched The Rock recently)

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

Also, may have been discussed, but any data on who is dying of Covid? The numbers are still around 400 per day. That's still a high number.

I figure it's unvaxxed and people who were vaccinated at the start without a booster. And figure the other usual suspects -- over 70 and/or comorbidities. But are they keeping data?

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

At this point, there is no point of cdc issues restrictions or guidelines, ppl aren’t going to follow them anyway, hell people will do the opposite. Ppl will yell tyranny or some other shit. Don’t give fuel to Rs for midterms etc.

if you don’t have vaccine (besides kids) and end up dead, ohhh well

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, may have been discussed, but any data on who is dying of Covid? The numbers are still around 400 per day. That's still a high number.

Last 7-day average I saw was 433 deaths per day.  That's almost exactly the current mortality rate for strokes, and above that for lower respiratory disease, Alzheimer's disease, and diabetes.  Oh, and flu LOL. #justtheflu

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I figure it's unvaxxed and people who were vaccinated at the start without a booster. And figure the other usual suspects -- over 70 and/or comorbidities. But are they keeping data?

I wonder what the rate is on long covid.  It's not just deaths.  Hell, I was vaccinated and boosted, and got Covid a couple months ago, and still have bizarre symptoms.

MIL is 72 and looking for advice on if she should get another booster.  She was scheduled to get one today, but I assume that is just another shot of the OG Moderna vax because the bivalent isn't available yet. 

What's the consensus?  Wait another month or so until the bivalent is available?

She's still very active and volunteers every week at a place where she's in contact with gen pop quite a bit, so I'd like to give her useful guidance if possible. 

I got my second booster yesterday afternoon in preparation for a trip to NYC in 2 1/2 weeks and I’ll be damned if I didn’t just wake up EXACTLY 18 hours later with a fever and chills and body aches and a headache.

All four shots have done the exact same thing - feel like absolute dog shit 18 hours later and it lasts for 24 hours. Crazy.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I got my second booster yesterday afternoon in preparation for a trip to NYC in 2 1/2 weeks and I’ll be damned if I didn’t just wake up EXACTLY 18 hours later with a fever and chills and body aches and a headache.

All four shots have done the exact same thing - feel like absolute dog shit 18 hours later and it lasts for 24 hours. Crazy.

I have put off getting shot 4 to see if they were going to get a new and improved version. I suppose the other three were enough to get me through the covid I rode out this week. I'll get whatever they're offering when I get a flu shot. 

I had a sore arm after the first one and zero side effects since then. The covid symptoms were on par with an average to below average bout of flu;  headaches, massive drainage, low grade fever,fatigue, and a persistent cough. I feel fine after a week. Hated burning up a week of PTO but at least I had it to use.

Just woke up from my 24 hour fever fugue state and feel perfectly fine.

Arm is still sore as a MFer.

@PenelopeWitherspoon I’m going to be in NYC first week in September for my 50th birthday to see Harry Styles at MSG and some shows (Hamilton and Six). I’m traveling alone for the first time since my divorce. I’d love to meet up or if you have some tips on some must sees!

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Just woke up from my 24 hour fever fugue state and feel perfectly fine.

Arm is still sore as a MFer.

@PenelopeWitherspoon I’m going to be in NYC first week in September for my 50th birthday to see Harry Styles at MSG and some shows (Hamilton and Six). I’m traveling alone for the first time since my divorce. I’d love to meet up or if you have some tips on some must sees!

Message sent.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Sigh.  My 72 year old dad just tested positive for the first time.  I know he is at least PARTIALLY vaxxed.  I think he got the first two shots, but probably not boosted.  My mom is not vaxxed because she claims she is immunocompromised (thyroid cancer survivor).  I don't know if that's really true, but ok.

He group texts me and my two sisters telling us that he's positive and cancelling a trip to New England he was supposed to go on this week.

Both sisters immediately respond that he should take ivermectin and that all of their friends are still traveling, even if they are positive.  These are two 40-something, college educated, successful women.  One voted for dotard, pretty sure the other for Biden.  They've both lost their fucking minds.

I just can't with these people.

• Rage+1 3

Man…bad timing on my part. Wife and I are headed to NYC at the END of September for the Killers at MSG, then Hamilton and Book of Mormon matinees. Woulda been hysterical to watch my wife get vodka drunk and spout opinions with you two.

Ahhh man. I would have loved that!

You’re a rich ass lawyer - why don’t you plan another trip for the first week? I’ve got an extra Harry Styles ticket - I’ll take your wife!

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Ahhh man. I would have loved that!

You’re a rich ass lawyer - why don’t you plan another trip for the first week? I’ve got an extra Harry Styles ticket - I’ll take your wife!

giphy.gif

Alas, work calls, and then at the end of the week we're taking the boy to get settled in Scotland.  Some opportunities are simply missed.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Man…bad timing on my part. Wife and I are headed to NYC at the END of September for the Killers at MSG, then Hamilton and Book of Mormon matinees. Woulda been hysterical to watch my wife get vodka drunk and spout opinions with you two.

Well, worlds aren't colliding just yet.  Unfortunately, @Bama Chick's trip coincides with me being in London for work, so alas, that Surly meet up is delayed.

• Fuck You 1

So Fauci has said he is stepping down after 50 years.

Republicans want to investigate him when/if they win power. Why, exactly? What are they accusing that he did wrong? Telling people to get the shot? Wear a mask? Distance?

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So Fauci has said he is stepping down after 50 years.

Republicans want to investigate him when/if they win power. Why, exactly? What are they accusing that he did wrong? Telling people to get the shot? Wear a mask? Distance?

I'm sure Rand Paul would love to have dozens of hearings with Fauci with R control.

29 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

You don’t read real well.

So you endorse Fauci's perspective over Paul's?  That's the angle you're going with?  Or are you just going to continue to waffle, you know, like you do when you get caught with your pants down and someone is kicking your ass?

I *strongly* recommend you learn you place, which is at the kid's table, because you are a predictable child.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So you endorse Fauci's perspective over Paul's?  That's the angle you're going with?  Or are you just going to continue to waffle, you know, like you do when you get caught with your pants down and someone is kicking your ass?

I *strongly* recommend you learn you place, which is at the kid's table, because you are a predictable child.

what a dildo.

I only posted the video as an example of Paul's desire to go after Fauci.  

Like a good little leftist you screech lies and accusations.

Of course this is really all about you being a bitter little bitch about getting owned with your grocery inflation denial.  Run along to Kroger and report back.

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Of course this is really all about you being a bitter little bitch about getting owned with your grocery inflation denial.  Run along to Kroger and report back.

Are you really so dim as to not understand that I have not argued about inflation for probably a year now?  It's here.  It's real.  It was really mild when people like you were screaming that it wasn't.

Seriously, man, get a hold of yourself.  Try the truth.  Try to discuss things in an honest manner.  

I fucking dare you to respond in an legitimate, articulate manner refuting something I've said, instead of "hur dur double coupons".  Jesus you are a beating.  

I won't hold my breath.  Can't wait for you to roll out your usual schtick.

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm just going to sit here and gaze in awe at a response "in a legitimate, articulate manner".

It's impressive.  You're incredibly impressive.