CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So Fauci has said he is stepping down after 50 years.

Republicans want to investigate him when/if they win power. Why, exactly? What are they accusing that he did wrong? Telling people to get the shot? Wear a mask? Distance?

The accusation is that the US funded Chinese research into corovirus. That research created covid19 and then fauci covered it up. 

As far as i know, the best evidence out there is the CDC formally admitting it funded a lab in the US that farmed out coronavirus research in China. The CDC states that strain coronavirus isn't and couldn't gave led to covid19. 

The right reads emails out of context and is all pissed about ever having to wear masks so they want fauci hanged.

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

The accusation is that the US funded Chinese research into corovirus. That research created covid19 and then fauci covered it up. 

As far as i know, the best evidence out there is the CDC formally admitting it funded a lab in the US that farmed out coronavirus research in China. The CDC states that strain coronavirus isn't and couldn't gave led to covid19. 

The right reads emails out of context and is all pissed about ever having to wear masks so they want fauci hanged.

Beyond that, if you look into the level of "funding" that was farmed out, it was basically enough to pay for a couple of post-docs for a year or so.  Complete nothingburger.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Beyond that, if you look into the level of "funding" that was farmed out, it was basically enough to pay for a couple of post-docs for a year or so.  Complete nothingburger.

Would love to see your accounting.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s clockwork at this point. Almost like he has a both sides shitposting quota. 

Love all the shitposters chiming in about quotas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Would love to see your accounting.

I'm not going to argue with you about this.  I can count to one.  Imagine me doing so.

Did the US fund virus research in China?

Yes, it did contribute some funds.

Dr Fauci, as well as being an adviser to President Biden, is the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the US government's National Institutes of Health (NIH).

This body did give money to an organisation that collaborated with the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

That organisation - the US-based EcoHealth Alliance - was awarded a grant in 2014 to look into possible coronaviruses from bats.

EcoHealth received $3.7m from the NIH, $600,000 of which was given to the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

$600K, exactly the number I recall.  Whether you consider that high or low to fund research by a couple of post-docs is completely uninteresting to me.  It is a nothingburger in the world of funded research.

Coronavirus: Was US money used to fund risky research in China?

This past Monday my kids returned to school with all 3 attending for the first time (Kinder-5th).   My daughter contracted covid and is now miserable.  Her symptom started with a little lightheadedness on Wed. and she went to the school nurse.  She seemed fine when I picked her up.  On Thursday she also visited the nurse for feeling lightheaded again and when I picked her up, she complained about a headache.   I tested her right then and it was positive.  Later that night,  mild fever, chills, congestion, vomiting, diarrhea and difficulty sleeping.   Friday, a little vomiting, coughing, congestion, diarrhea, lack of appetite,  limited water intake.   

Rest of the family is negative.  So far.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

This past Monday my kids returned to school with all 3 attending for the first time (Kinder-5th).   My daughter contracted covid and is now miserable.  Her symptom started with a little lightheadedness on Wed. and she went to the school nurse.  She seemed fine when I picked her up.  On Thursday she also visited the nurse for feeling lightheaded again and when I picked her up, she complained about a headache.   I tested her right then and it was positive.  Later that night,  mild fever, chills, congestion, vomiting, diarrhea and difficulty sleeping.   Friday, a little vomiting, coughing, congestion, diarrhea, lack of appetite,  limited water intake.   

Rest of the family is negative.  So far.

I tested positive yesterday, after having some symptoms last Friday.  Nothing major, just like a cold -- congestion, runny nose, headache, no fever, no fatigue.  It went away in about 24 hours.  Sunday morning my wife woke up with a sore throat, got more fatigued as the day went on, and tested positive late that night.  By that time I was fine.  She eventually had mild fever, some nausea and vomiting.  She hasn't tested negative yet, but it's been a few days since her last test.  She's doing pretty well.

If I gave it to her, I'm golden.  If she gave it to me, I may still be on the clock, but right now, zero symptoms.

I knew there was no way we couldn't travel to NYC last week w/o getting it.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Shockingly, a study finds that Republicans, since COVID, had excess death rates much higher than Democrats.

Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that Republican-leaning counties have had higher COVID-19 death rates than Democrat- leaning counties and evidence of a link between political party affiliation and vaccination views. This study constructs an individual-level dataset with political affiliation and excess death rates during the COVID-19 pandemic via a linkage of 2017 voter registration in Ohio and Florida to mortality data from 2018 to 2021. We estimate substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely available in our study states. Overall, the excess death rate for Republicans was 5.4 percentage points (pp), or 76%, higher than the excess death rate for Democrats. Post- vaccines, the excess death rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 pp (22% of the Democrat excess death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

We estimate substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely available in our study states.

• Hook 'Em 1

The differences observed appear largely restricted to the Delta wave period, which I think makes sense. Interesting in the context of similar studies that found differences during the pre-vax period.  Those differences fail to resolve in this analysis. Would be interesting to run the data for 2022 during the omicron period. 

image.thumb.png.7d05da4975bde2a6301ca83922106ee3.png 

Also, what was going down in July 2018? 

Edited by Anastasis

On 10/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, Anastasis said:

The differences observed appear largely restricted to the Delta wave period, which I think makes sense. Interesting in the context of similar studies that found differences during the pre-vax period.  Those differences fail to resolve in this analysis. Would be interesting to run the data for 2022 during the omicron period. 

image.thumb.png.7d05da4975bde2a6301ca83922106ee3.png 

Also, what was going down in July 2018? 

Also, Covid hit urban areas first(largely blue) then rural areas later(largely red).

6 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Curious @Anastasisas to what your take is on the bivalent boosters outside of high risk groups.

I don't think that we know much about the effectiveness of the bivalent boosters. Decisions should be individualized, imo. If you are very high risk, I don't see much harm other than the reactivity effects.  Everyone in my house is vaxxed with the primary series.  The adults boosted with the third shot.  Everyone has had breakthrough COVID cases. Our S and N antibody levels are still high.  We're slow playing it, but I don't think that there is any real risk of harm. Also don't think that anybody knows what the VE is with the bivalent. Anecdotally, I am seeing people around me still get breakthrough vid after the bivalent booster. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:
9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

With a wheeze, not a bang.

It's a serious question. What has to happen for it to be 'done'? It's never going away...ever. So when are people allowed to live their lives?

I have been living my life for the last few decades. Sorry if you haven't been but that sounds more like a personal issue than anything else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nobody is being disallowed from living their lives.

A higher vaccination rate would allow more people to live their lives, at least to a different end.

I mean, could y'all be bigger snowflakes?  Exactly what restrictions are being placed on you?  

Almost 3 full years and we still can't learn the fucking lesson.  It's maddening.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

A higher vaccination rate would allow more people to live their lives, at least to a different end.
I mean, could y'all be bigger snowflakes?  Exactly what restrictions are being placed on you?  
Almost 3 full years and we still can't learn the fucking lesson.  It's maddening.
No restrictions at all, just as it should be. I guess the question needs to be, what has to happen for you all to shut the fuck up about it 'not being over'? Viruses are part of life. Nothing will ever change that.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No restrictions at all. I guess the question needs to be, what has to happen for you all to shut the fuck up about it 'not being over'? Viruses are part of life. Nothing will ever change that.

Maybe for y'all to shut the fuck up about it "being over"?  I mean, one side is right, and it ain't yours.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

So nothing. Nothing will make it be over. Good answer.

I said nothing of the sort.  I contend that when a virus AT ITS CURRENT MORTALITY RATE is more lethal than the combined influenza/pneumonia mortality rate, IT AIN'T OVER.  It's about to get worse, again.

I'm sorry this bothers you.  Facts are facts.  Covid will be the 3rd leading cause of death in America this year, behind heart disease and cancer.  It remains a serious public health risk.  Your silly need to call it "over" means jack shit.  Try the truth, it's freeing.

COVID has been over for over a year. Why immamac let’s this insane thread keep going is for clicks and ad money. Could make make more at 6pm Saturdays if he threw the ads n Football board. You guys need to drop the gloves and masks already

Edited by StassneyHorn

So Jimmy, I'm staying boosted (including the new one) and gotten back to normal, and I've just resigned myself that there are still a whole bunch of morons that feel the need to fuck around and find out still.  And I'm ok with that.  More morons dying is a net positive, and I'm not going to stand in their way and warn them anymore.  If that's what they want, then let them go find what they are looking for.  It's ok to let that be ok. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So Jimmy, I'm staying boosted (including the new one) and gotten back to normal, and I've just resigned myself that there are still a whole bunch of morons that feel the need to fuck around and find out still.  And I'm ok with that.  More morons dying is a net positive, and I'm not going to stand in their way and warn them anymore.  If that's what they want, then let them go find what they are looking for.  It's ok to let that be ok. 

I understand that point of view, but we're still dealing with an infectious disease.  Catching and spreading covid is different than not wearing one's seatbelt or eating nothing but cheeseburgers 3 times a day for 40 years.  It's not "victimless".

I am a severe asthmatic.  I caught covid in August, one month after my 4th vax.  Fortunately, I had a very mild case, but it's not as if I'm at no risk for a more severe disease.  I see this the way I see all vax arguments save maybe shingles --don't be selfish.  Get the shot(s).  Help save some lives.  Color me sillly, I guess.

Beyond that, it's absolutely idiotic from a language perspective to say "it's over".  I mean, it's the 3rd leading killer in America.  That's "over"?  Give me a fucking break.