CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Is the same level of disdain directed to the CDC for recommending flu vaccines for children? Is the low rate of vaccination among kids a sign that the CDC is wrong?

17 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

20-40 year olds are like 70-80% vaccinated. Yet, that same age group - as parents - has made the decision to vaccinate their children at the following rates:

6 months to 2 years - 5%
2-4 years - 8%
5-11 - 38%

The CDC recommends that all of the above should be vaccinated  

These are not right wing, anti vax crazies. Well, some might be, but when you are talking about 90%+ in some age groups, it’s safe to say that the public does not trust that the CDC knows what’s best for their children. 

RJ doesn’t provide a link to his data, but, folks over 40, and under 20, vaccinate their kids in numbers that pull up the average.

“As of January 4, 2023, the CDC recorded:

1.9 million US children ages 6 months-4 years have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine

• Representing 11% of 6 months-4 year-olds”

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-vaccination-trends/

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Do we refer to those who don’t get the flu vaccine as “anti vax?”

Personally, I think of anti-vaxxers as those who espouse conspiratorial rationale, or the "do your own research" crowd. I'm not sure who the "we" is in your question. And, lets be honest, the majority of those (adults) refusing the vaccine from 2021 - present fall in one of those two crowds.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Lol.  Yeah, from Nature Communication.  Any other work you want to post?  Sorry, but you’ve been anti-vax from minute one here.  Maybe go back to Daily Texan and take Ana with you.

Don't have anything to add to this argument, but Nature Communications is a highly respected journal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I've never gotten a flu shot but have gotten every other vaccine recommended to me, including covid and its boosters. what would you call me?

I think you’re refusing a vaccine that’s proven to help reduce the spread of the flu. In other words, you’re selfishly killing people. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

RJ doesn’t provide a link to his data, but, folks over 40, and under 20, vaccinate their kids in numbers that pull up the average.

“As of January 4, 2023, the CDC recorded:

1.9 million US children ages 6 months-4 years have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine

• Representing 11% of 6 months-4 year-olds”

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-vaccination-trends/

My data came from the CDC website, last update in October as the information is no longer updated.  But use 89% instead of 90%+ and the point remains the same. 

https://data.cdc.gov/Vaccinations/Archive-COVID-19-Vaccination-and-Case-Trends-by-Ag/gxj9-t96f

22 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Today in FAFO 

from the article:

In December of 2020 he tweeted "I have a very low risk of A) Getting COVID and B) dying of it if I do. Why would I risk getting a heart attack or paralysis by getting the vaccine?"

He even recorded a parody song - Vaxman - mocking the vaccine.

In July, he told his audience he had COVID and he expected to be back soon.

But later updates from family and friends indicated how serious it was.

Valentine's brother said Phil regretted not being more pro-vaccine and wrote if he got back on the radio he would encourage people to get vaccinated.

According to family, Valentine fought hard, but was unable to beat the virus.

Ice Hockey Dancing GIF by NHL

• Haha 2

Dunno if anyone else has noticed this trend, but....

***Celebrity dies***

Comment section:

Dumbass 1: It's the jab! Athletes are dying from heart issues all over the place! Someone needs to ask more questions!

Normal person: They died of cancer.

Dumbass 2: The jab causes cancer!!!!!

Normal person: They were diagnosed years ago.

Dumbass 3: The vaxx causes cancer to come out of remission because MRNA!!!

🙄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

So, it is her just not a recent pic. Was she pro mask in 2021? Remind me.

I'm sure her dumb ass wasn't, but that's what anyone had to do to fly.

Have you flown recently?  Like 99% don't wear masks.  Yet you believed she was in the 1% that still does because she's scared of getting Covid? 

If it seems a little too good to be true, BS detector should've gone off immediately.  

It's absolutely believable that she would wear a mask. Today or any other day. There's no limit to the shameless hypocrisy. 

It's worth being wrong on the date to point it out again that she is willing to follow the rules she rails against. 

Is it the same thing as finding out of date pix and republishing them to get a response from the other side?

Yes, and it's called playing the same game. I don't see any claim in the tweet that it's a current pic. If that's assumed well hey that's fine. 

Play some hardball.

34 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yes, and it's called playing the same game. I don't see any claim in the tweet that it's a current pic. If that's assumed well hey that's fine. 

Play some hardball.

all the while pissing down your leg about "misinformation".

fucking shameful.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 vax of Pfizer + 1 booster. My heart stopped 8X. Several strokes, heart attacks and a blood clot in my left thigh. Regular visits to an array of doctors beforehand, including a cardiologist. No known problems beyond Type 2 diabetes.

Sure, it’s a coincidence and people should just shut up trying to find answers. I’ll remember that when I start receiving my disability payments in a few weeks using a walker to go to my mailbox en route to my dialysis treatments 3X a week.

When have doctors ever been wrong?

267a00fcccf0dad5552f3e227334b3be.jpg
b8918baab768607a0e83429d4f72048f.jpg

Edited by Spankytoes

A Portland-area woman convicted of assaulting a Eugene cookie shop owner has been sentenced to nearly four years in prison.

Today, Lane County Circuit Court Judge Stephen Morgan sentenced 46-year-old Amy Verlee Hall of Gresham to 46 months after a 12-member jury found her guilty of assault, criminal trespass, harassment, burglary, and disorderly conduct on Jan. 31.

The incident

On Nov. 3, 2021, Hall and an accomplice, Ricki Collin, confronted Deirdre Stirpe inside Crumb Together over her store’s pandemic face mask policy, which was in compliance with Oregon’s statewide directive at the time. Things turned violent, and after thrashing, screaming, and struggling with the woman, Hall and Collin left the store with Stirpe’s bat. The pair were arrested shortly after showing their video of the incident to Eugene Police.

Statements made at the hearing

At today’s sentencing, Stirpe shared a brief statement on the long-term psychological trauma of having to relive the encounter through the video going viral on social media, and from local TV coverage. Stirpe said she had to regularly talk to concerned customers about the encounter, as well as take questions on what had become of Hall and Collin since. Stirpe said she often woke up in a sweat from the experience, and was grateful for her husband Tony’s comforting support.

“My dream became reality, and then my reality became a nightmare,” Stirpe said on her wish to run a cookie shop. She also said that justice had been only “half-served” as Hall’s partner, Collin, remains unaccounted for with warrants out for his arrest in Lane and Washington counties.

Clad in green Lane County Jail garb, Hall was also allowed to make a statement ahead of her sentencing. In a roughly half-hour disputation, Hall said she and Collin had entered Crumb Together peacefully and only meant to “empower” Stirpe in wake of the “COVID BS.” She frequently accused the court of unlawfulness, and said “I’m the only innocent one here in this room.”

Judge's response

In his sentencing, Judge Morgan admonished Hall, saying that it was disappointing that she leveled blame at everyone but herself, adding that “misunderstanding the law is not a defense.” He also told Hall that she had engaged in “bully conduct” at the Crumb Together store, and that her conviction by the jury was based on what was seen in the video as opposed to any manipulation of justice.

In addition to the 46 months in an Oregon DOC facility, Hall will be on three years post-prison supervision and was also ordered to pay $1,185 in restitution to Hall for medical expenses.

https://www.klcc.org/crime-law-justice/2023-02-09/crumb-together-assailant-sentenced-to-46-months

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

On 2/8/2023 at 9:56 PM, Anastasis said:

Interesting read that contrasts the current H5N1 outbreak with SARS-COV-2 in the context of the discussion of spillover vs. other origin explanations.

If I'm reading this right, and I could be wrong, but it seems to me he's making the case that this was a virus that was developed in a lab.  Ok.  Let's assume that's true.  What the rest of the world now knows is that the best way to kill off large swaths of Americans without ever committing a single soldier to hand to hand combat is to simply release a genetically engineered virus into the US while a Democrat is President (or a really really stupid Republican) and you'll be able to kill off all kinds of Americans.  Republicans won't believe a Democrat telling them to protect themselves (or later, to vaccinate), and a really really stupid Republican will fan those flames instead of counseling the country to be safe with masks (and later, vaccines).  Assuming this was engineered in a lab, the test case has now been shown to be effective.  So get ready, a well timed state sponsored bio-weapon is likely what's going to kill all your Republican relatives that don't find some other way to die before it happens.  

And what I continue to be confused by is why the people yelling the most loudly about this being a chinese developed virus refuse to take any precautions against that virus.  If China was sending troops with guns to your door, would you protect yourself, or would you try to pretend like they didn't exist? I'd expect you to get out your guns and shoot back.  The way you shoot back against a bio weapon is you protect yourself from being a target of that weapon and develop vaccines for eradication. It's the same god damned thing, yet all our "patriots" are over here trying to pretend that COVID was developed in a lab and therefore we should hate the Chinese, and also that it doesn't exist, so no one should be taking any precautions to avoid it, all at the same time.  People are so fucking stupid.

As for me, I've used my bullets (current on vaccination/booster) and I'm living my life.  If you didn't use your own bullets to protect yourself and you get killed by this at this point, you are a stupid motherfucker and that's on you.

Also, Spanky, sorry to hear you are going through it.  Hope you make a quick and full recovery, regardless of whether you had an adverse vaccine reaction or whether it's just a coincidence.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

If I'm reading this right, and I could be wrong, but it seems to me he's making the case that this was a virus that was developed in a lab. 

When I read that, I focussed on the differences relevant to the animal data and distribution of cases associated with spillover events, and not the lab manipulation angle. 

The Chinese government is not stupid. 

Huh. Every other government is a bunch of clowns, but the Chinese government, well, they’ve got it figured out.
Sheesh.
They have some foolish blind spots (many of which are related to believing their own bullshit, many others related to cultural and political obedience/no questioning issues).
The Chinese government isn’t materially smarter or dumber than most other governments of decent sized nations. They are certainly quite capable of doing stupid things.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh. Every other government is a bunch of clowns, but the Chinese government, well, they’ve got it figured out.
Sheesh.
They have some foolish blind spots (many of which are related to believing their own bullshit, many others related to cultural and political obedience/no questioning issues).
The Chinese government isn’t materially smarter or dumber than most other governments of decent sized nations. They are certainly quite capable of doing stupid things.

Sure.  And malicious things. Engage your brain for a second brisket, instead of just barking out rhetoric. With regard to their approach to COVID as things were breaking out, do you think that the Chinese were acting like hapless dolts, or do you think that there was smooth fucking calculation involved? Serious answers only please.