CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

320,000 dead Americans in that timeframe and you declare it "over".  I mean, the numbers are what they are.  Your inability to understand the numbers is what you are.  Cool, I guess.

Definitely over. People who refuse to get their shit right are the outliers of our 333,000,000 population.
Dummies and cripples and olds.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Okie State said:
4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:
70K+ Americans dying on an annualized basis, a near-low, and that number will likely spike given any resurgence this winter.
"It's over".  
Crimony.  The stupidity, it burns.

How does it end?

I guess when it mutates to either nothing or something that kills at or near the rate of infection.  

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I understand that point of view, but we're still dealing with an infectious disease.  Catching and spreading covid is different than not wearing one's seatbelt or eating nothing but cheeseburgers 3 times a day for 40 years.  It's not "victimless".

I am a severe asthmatic.  I caught covid in August, one month after my 4th vax.  Fortunately, I had a very mild case, but it's not as if I'm at no risk for a more severe disease.  I see this the way I see all vax arguments save maybe shingles --don't be selfish.  Get the shot(s).  Help save some lives.  Color me sillly, I guess.

Beyond that, it's absolutely idiotic from a language perspective to say "it's over".  I mean, it's the 3rd leading killer in America.  That's "over"?  Give me a fucking break.

Yep I have asthma as well, which is why I stayed home until I was vaxxed and boosted.  It's why I raged against the members of my family who didn't want to vaccinate and for a long time felt exactly as you do.  I even called people both selfish and unpatriotic who were refusing to vaccinate, and I still 100% believe that.  But at some point I realized that I'm not ever going to get everyone (or even most people) to do the right thing simply because it's the right thing, and it isn't my job to police them anyway.  I have to let people make their own mistakes and if those mistakes kill them, well, they had the same opportunity that I had to get vaccinated and reduce their risk.  Once I got myself ok with that, I was able to give myself permission to go back to living my life again.  

And yes it's not over, but it will never be over until this thing mutates into another form of the common cold, which it's only going to be able to do if it continues to circulate.  Since we never had the will to stop this virus completely, the best course of action now is to let it continue to run wild and continue to get less severe as it looks for the equilibrium it needs to stay in circulation.  Staying home forever, nationwide lockdowns, hell even getting people to wear masks are all non-starters here in the US.  Those things simply will not happen, so it's not over from a death and destruction standpoint, but it's over from the standpoint of getting the general public to band together and do something about it.  The only thing the general public seems willing to do at this point is nothing, which means to keep letting it mutate and hope that it keeps following the trend and heading more and more to the common cold/influenza territory in severity.  And if a bunch of morons hit the FAFO lottery on the journey, all the better.

I get that perspective, but what pisses me off on the vax front is the fact that stupid people put MY health in jeopardy by opening themselves up to covid.  No vax is 100% -- not even the 4X I've had (and soon #5).  

I'm living my life.  I don't venture out all that much, but rather pick and choose from various restaurants, clubs, sporting events etc.  I don't mask up much any more.  I figure my risks are fairly mild 2 months after catching covid and 3 months after my 4th vax.  It's a risk I take, but honestly, it happens maybe once a week.  I'm too busy to do much outside the house/office anyway.

My main beef here was the concept that "it's over".  It's just not.  It remains a serious public health concern.  If people don't care about other people, there's nothing I can do about that.  I care about them, even the idiots.

Edited by jimmyjazz

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get that perspective, but what pisses me off on the vax front is the fact that stupid people put MY health in jeopardy by opening themselves up to covid. 

I can't believe people are still repeating this when it's been beyond clear (beginning with the start of the Omicron wave, if not Delta) that the vaccine has jack shit to do with preventing the spread of covid.  What percentage of the US population at this point still has no vax or covid antibodies? It has to be single digits.  And even that small percentage of the population has access to Paxlovid.  You had every right to be pissed about people not getting Vaxed before the Delta wave (which would have prevented a lot of hospitalizations and overcrowded hospitals) but at this point in October of 2022 it isn't impacting your life at all.   

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I said nothing of the sort.  I contend that when a virus AT ITS CURRENT MORTALITY RATE is more lethal than the combined influenza/pneumonia mortality rate, IT AIN'T OVER.  It's about to get worse, again.

I'm sorry this bothers you.  Facts are facts.  Covid will be the 3rd leading cause of death in America this year, behind heart disease and cancer.  It remains a serious public health risk.  Your silly need to call it "over" means jack shit.  Try the truth, it's freeing.

The government is doing a fine fine job of eliminating heart disease and cancer. They should definitely be in charge of getting rid of Covid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

COVID has been over for over a year. Why immamac let’s this insane thread keep going is for clicks and ad money. Could make make more at 6pm Saturdays if he threw the ads n Football board. You guys need to drop the gloves and masks already

the previous page of this thread started in august. do you have brain fog?

45 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I can't believe people are still repeating this when it's been beyond clear (beginning with the start of the Omicron wave, if not Delta) that the vaccine has jack shit to do with preventing the spread of covid.

I don't think that's true at all, and it certainly isn't true with regards to preventing severe disease.  Pardon me for giving a shit about people dying.

It feels like we are out of the pandemic response phase and just riding the slow bleed to the new normal.  There are days know when I don't think of COVID at all in terms of my day to day activities. Just the carry over practices wrt hand washing and sanitizer, but those are basically automatic now.  There are other days, like the last few, where I got two kids spiking a fever and it is just part of the management to assess for covid like symptoms and test. I think that this is pretty much the trajectory until we have a truly sterilizing vaccine. 

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think that's true at all, and it certainly isn't true with regards to preventing severe disease.  Pardon me for giving a shit about people dying.

You reference 2 completely different metrics.   Preventing spread vs. preventing severe disease.   If you're going to make an argument at least be clear what you are talking about.   Of course the vaccines help prevent severe disease.  I don't think anyone is disputing that.  However, at this point we have a heavily vaxed population + vast majority with natural antibodies.  Again, the number of Americans without either has to be single digits. Then you also have a Paxlovid backstop which didn't previously exist.  Hospitals are not overburdened with Covid patients anymore or if some are that is news to me.   Personally I think anyone at risk of severe disease (65+, obese, etc.) should probably be boosting at regular 6 month intervals until further notice.  Everyone else can do what they want.  If I have no known infection i'll probably boost annually.   My point to you is that whether or not a person gets a vaccine or not in October of 2022 really has no impact on your life.   Considering the absolute minimal impact Omicron had on my family 5 months ago I'm more concerned with flu heading into this season.

13 hours ago, Skipper said:

I can't believe people are still repeating this when it's been beyond clear (beginning with the start of the Omicron wave, if not Delta) that the vaccine has jack shit to do with preventing the spread of covid.  

That's not actually true.  Here's a prison study that determined the following:

The team found that among individuals with COVID-19, those who received at least one vaccine shot were 24% less likely to infect close contacts— in this case cellmates — compared with unvaccinated prisoners. People who had been infected before were 21% less likely to infect others compared with prisoners with no previous infection, and those who had been both vaccinated and previously infected were 41% less likely to pass on the virus compared with unvaccinated individuals without a previous infection.

COVID vaccines slash risk of spreading Omicron — and so does previous infection

Beyond that, you seem to be rather glib about the steadfastness of immunity whether by vax or infection.  That immunity wanes.  While there is an impressive number of Americans who have received at least one covid vaccine (80%), that number drops (68%) when we consider how many are "fully vaccinated", which would be one J&J shot or two Pfizer/Moderna shots.  Only 33% of Americans have completed their primary vaccine round and also received a booster.  That leaves a fairly significant cross section of Americans who are likely susceptible to covid, and it's probably coming soon, as the CDC expects another winter wave.

It's not only "not over", it could get pretty bad . . . again. 

Edited by jimmyjazz

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

My daughter presumptively has the flu right now.  It is kicking her ass. 

Sorry to hear that.  Too late for Tamiflu?

I'm leaning towards getting a flu vaccine before I get the bivalent booster.  I assume I still have "some" immunity from my July booster followed by August infection.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm leaning towards getting a flu vaccine before I get the bivalent booster.  I assume I still have "some" immunity from my July booster followed by August infection.

That's the approach I have taken.  Flu shot already in the arm.  Slow playing any further boosting. 

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Beyond that, you seem to be rather glib about the steadfastness of immunity whether by vax or infection.  That immunity wanes.  

It's not only "not over", it could get pretty bad . . . again. 

You are exactly right and help making my point for me.   From a brief look at the article you cited. "For every 5 weeks that passed since a person’s last vaccine dose, the risk of transmitting the infection to a close contact increased by 6%."

But immunity against severe infection does not wane to the same extent. It's impossible to vax away transmission risk.   Even your cherry picked study topped out at 21%.

As for your last comment, you should probably stop listening to grifters like Feigl-Ding and other COVID alarmists.   I have not seen anything remotely suggesting that a new wave should result in mass hospitalizations and death considering population wide antibody levels + paxlovid.  Is it possible with a new variant that is immune evasive? Sure, but in that case, inherently, a vax isn't movign the needle by definition.

Now, could a bad flu season combined with slight uptick with Severe Covid be bad? Sure.  But if I'm a betting man there is more population wide risk from the flu this year than Covid (and turning Covid into the flu was always pretty much the goal in 2020).

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/23/2022 at 7:01 PM, Okie State said:

So nothing. Nothing will make it be over. Good answer.

I don't 'have a side'. I know that's difficult for people like you to comprehend.

Fucking lol.

Don't have a side? You're irrationally angry over. . . .what exactly? 

People talking about covid? People voluntarily wearing masks?

Paxlovid is hopefully a game-changer.  It went on the market last December, though, and apparently wasn't able to keep the early February 2022 peak in mortality from happening.  I assume part of that is because it hadn't penetrated the market enough, since most of those who were dying at that point had probably been infected weeks earlier.

As for your last comment, you should probably stop listening to grifters like Feigl-Ding and other COVID alarmists.

I have no fucking idea who that is.  You might stop presuming you know anything about me.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:19 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Definitely over. People who refuse to get their shit right are the outliers of our 333,000,000 population.
Dummies and cripples and olds.

Fuck this shit right here.

At this point, I don't care about people who FAFO. I do care about those who did their best and still get sick and die. Don't fucking cast them in with the FAFO crowd.

• Hook 'Em 2

does that mean that i have brain fog? wait shit did i finally get the rona

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

Fucking lol.

right? I'm not in Austin but I can't imagine that it's any different than Raleigh, where things have been pretty fucking normal for a while. I keep a mask in my car for the pediatrician's office and other weird edge case places that still want a mask or where I feel like it's a good human being thing to do. It's not over, it's probably never really over, but you "covid is no big deal and vaccines aren't worth it" guys don't have to worry about it - the moment for you to finally turn out to be correct vanished sometime between March of 2020 and after the millionth American died of COVID.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, Anastasis said:

My daughter presumptively has the flu right now.  It is kicking her ass. 

Welp we are in same boat.  Son spiked a fever Sunday night before bed.  Hadn't really gotten any better and tested positive for Flu B this AM (feels crummy but nothing too bad).  I got my flu shot end of September but kids got theirs in connection with annual checkup which wasn't until last Thurs so we were too late.  Flu definitely spreading early this year for those that have been procrastinating on the shot.  Nobody else has symptoms yet so fingers crossed.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Welp we are in same boat.  Son spiked a fever Sunday night before bed.  Hadn't really gotten any better and tested positive for Flu B this AM (feels crummy but nothing too bad).  I got my flu shot end of September but kids got theirs in connection with annual checkup which wasn't until last Thurs so we were too late.  Flu definitely spreading early this year for those that have been procrastinating on the shot.  Nobody else has symptoms yet so fingers crossed.

At some point we are due for a real influenza resurgence. COVID has been crowding out flu, but at some point that has to change. Tee up a population with lower immune resilience due to lower exposure over the past few years and potential for greater mismatch of vax to circulating strains, and it seems like the dam has to burst at some point. Maybe this fall/winter maybe another season. But it is just a matter of time I think. 

Getting the flu shot today.  Everyone except our 16 yo has gotten the new booster.  We’re still all free from covid.  Funny thing I’ve noticed is a big increase in masking at places like Trader Joe’s.  About 50 percent now, and especially among the olds.  It’s probably because there is very little stupidity about masking here.  No one cares if you are wearing one or not.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Sorry to hear that.  Too late for Tamiflu?

Get your flu shot yesterday. Shit is hitting early this year

• Hook 'Em 2

Fucking lol.

Not angry in the least and certainly don't get upset over people wearing masks. I think it's strange some people have their kids wearing them while they're participating in outdoor activities, but it doesn't ruin my day or anything. Have never been against masks at all actually even though most of my family was. I asked when it would be considered 'over' because I'm curious how different people define that. If you're going to say it's not over then I'd assume you have an idea of what needs to happen for it to be over. You're right though, it makes no difference at all so there's no use in arguing about it.

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

I asked when it would be considered 'over' because I'm curious how different people define that. If you're going to say it's not over then I'd assume you have an idea of what needs to happen for it to be over. You're right though, it makes no difference at all so there's no use in arguing about it.

I'd like to see a winter come and go without a huge surge in deaths from covid.  Hasn't happened yet.  Hopefully, this is the year.  As others pointed out, paxlovid should help  . . . a lot.

Shocker 

Shocker, this article and the report it’s based on are full of mistranslations, misinterpretations, and shoddy methodology and conclusions.

Here’s three threads that explain.

(^Chinese-Anerican data scientist)

(^Virologist and professor)

(Journalist who reports on media bias and misinformation)
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1