CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

My last dog was a lazy fucking dingbat who would rather doze on a pile of pillows than retrieve a duck. She was really sweet though.
The problem wasn’t vaccines. My wife spoiled that dog. Goddammit.

And, if you were brilliant (like me)  you would have spent several thousand on hunting and trials training.  And she would be great, a natural. Then spoiled to a fat sack of couch cuddles by wife and kids.   

And, if you were brilliant (like me)  you would have spent several thousand on hunting and trials training.  And she would be great, a natural. Then spoiled to a fat sack of couch cuddles by wife and kids.   

Oh…she was a started dog (trained by and acquired from Harlen Winter). She was birdy. A lab that would even point. Paid a chunk of change for her. My wife ruined her in less than a year.
  • Haha 1

We vaccinated my dog for rabies years ago.  Then he had to be put down.  Not because he had rabies or bit anybody, but because he started counting cards and the pit bosses have ways of dealing with shit like that.  

So when's this wave's vaccine coming out?  I figured I need another booster sometime this Autumn/Winter.  But I don't want to do it around flu shot time (we usually get them right before/after Halloween).  

My conservative co-worker this morning: "And now Biden is going to require everyone to get the new Covid booster."
Me: "I don't think that's true."
Co-worker: "No, I read it this morning. EVERYONE has to get it. See, look." 

He pulls up an article from NBC News. It says that Biden is "tentatively encouraging" everyone to get it. I pointed out that is a whole lot different than "requiring." His response was, "Well ... sure ... but ... we'll see. It could happen." I am sick and tired of the complete lack of intellectual honesty from the right.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

My conservative co-worker this morning: "And now Biden is going to require everyone to get the new Covid booster."
Me: "I don't think that's true."
Co-worker: "No, I read it this morning. EVERYONE has to get it. See, look." 

He pulls up an article from NBC News. It says that Biden is "tentatively encouraging" everyone to get it. I pointed out that is a whole lot different than "requiring." His response was, "Well ... sure ... but ... we'll see. It could happen." I am sick and tired of the complete lack of intellectual honesty from the right.

Not to mention there was never a vaccine mandate to begin with.  Though there fucking should have been.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've had my one great dog in my life. Yellow Lab, great breeding lineage. I trained him myself before I had kids and still had the spare time to do so. It was so rewarding hunting with him. Fetching machine. Watching him work, and looking back at my hand signals. He'd also post up in the tank during dove hunts and bring everyone thier birds with a soft mouth just for a head pat with a little instuction. Or chase a winged Pintail for a mile and bring him back. Or look underwater and find that Redhead hugging the bottom and root him out. We'd go to the lake every night and swim together and play fetch. I miss that the most.

Rambunctious fucker though, first few years I needed an electric fence to keep him in. He'd break when we dropped birds and that was his only major flaw in the blind. He uprooted a few mangrove trees when tied to them. And he hated when I went wade fishing as only a Lab could. "Why aren't we playing fetch or killing birds?"

He let all my neices and nephews ride him like a horse and poke and pull like kids do with grace.

My best friend for 14 years through all life could send my way. Divorce, my dad passing and a few friends gone as well. He'd crawl into bed with me when a storm came in and snuggle up and fall asleep. But he'd leave as soon as the thunder stopped. Strong willed, gentle, caring Then he went fast and peacefully. I'll never top that. I spent 1.5k to get him tattoed on my shoulder. I love Labs with all my heart.

All that to say my next dog will be something portable and chill and dumb but semi loyal. There is a quality to easy. Greatness is a lot of fucking work.

I'd say I'm not sure how I got on that tangent, but I know. I just wrapped up yard work and I'm ready for a swim but don't feel like going solo.

You just described my first lab, before we had kids. A chocolate. She was the best damn dog. I estimated she retrieved around 3,500 birds. As we put her down, I whispered in her ear “there were so many birds, so many birds.” And then I cried like a child.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You just described my first lab, before we had kids. A chocolate. She was the best damn dog. I estimated she retrieved around 3,500 birds. As we put her down, I whispered in her ear “there were so many birds, so many birds.” And then I cried like a child.
Mine went fast; was strong at my Mom's house while I spent two days doing Warriors Weekend entertaining Vets. Took him for his last swim that Sunday. He fetched one more time. By Sunday PM he couldn't walk. Put him down at home on Monday.

Got his paw prints just prior.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, shit, man.  Now I'm all teary at my desk at work. 

I lost a "once-in-a-lifetime" Golden Retriever to cancer when she was seven.  I didn't get another dog for twelve years, and I didn't get another retriever for eighteen years.  All I can say after having had Maeby for the last four years is that there apparently are lots of those once-in-a-lifetime dogs and my only regret is not getting another one a little bit sooner (but then I wouldn't have had her).

When we had to put down "King," an older dog we adopted of some sort of terrier lineage, a few years ago.  I remember whispering in his ear, "You're such a good dog," over and over as he passed.   I will never forget any of them.  

And now I'm going to have to do something about all the dust in this room.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/29/2023 at 9:31 AM, YGIFS said:

We vaccinated my dog for rabies years ago.  Then he had to be put down.  Not because he had rabies or bit anybody, but because he started counting cards and the pit bosses have ways of dealing with shit like that.  

rim-shot-badum-tss.gif

• Haha 1

Seriously. Now I am thinking about past UT tailgates with my dog. Thanks for somehow finding a way to make the pandemic thread more depressing. Hope she is chasing footballs at the tailgate in the sky. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We lose nearly 400,000 Americans each year to swimming pools?  Yeah Doc, that's gonna be a hard "NO" from me on that one.

Also, I love that you're doing this in front of "The Secured Border Wall" that I could easily pass thousands of doses of fentanyl through in a matter of minutes to be trafficked across our country regardless of who is President.  Look at the slats, disphit.  And Im not even talking about wife.  

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

We lose nearly 400,000 Americans each year to swimming pools?  Yeah Doc, that's gonna be a hard "NO" from me on that one.

Yep. He’s making shit up: “An average of 4,012 unintentional drowning deaths occurred each year from 2011–2020”

Swimming pool deaths are less than 400 a year and we have 10.7 million pools  

350,000 a year means 3.5 million every 10 years.  Somehow, I think we’d notice that.  

Edited by atomheartbevo