CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Trump/Republicans own some blame for making COVID-19 worse domestically than it could have been, in hindsight. I'm not running away from that truth and don't know why you think I am.

In hindsight?  You must be dumb as a fucking rock.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

As for Donkey's Arson/China analogy.....   When an arsonist starts a fire in the forest, do we fight it and try to contain it from spreading or just whine that the fire started spray gasoline on the nearest neighborhood?  Because that's what Republicans want to do.

ftfy

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Foosters said:

No one's doing that. We're just focusing on the millions of Americans intentionally adding kindling to the active fire, versus the guy with the match 18 months ago.

From what I've seen and read, nobody is NOT doing that, which is why I responded as I did. It's good and fine and well to focus on the millions of Americans blah blah blah, but the greatest benefactor to our political missteps has been our greatest threat, CCP:

- Afghanistan War (America bears the brunt of the costs, CCP gets free lithium and a weakened America)

- COVID-19 (China starts the fire, we make it worse and are burning ourself alive)

This is still the COVID-19 political thread where we can talk about the geopolitical angles of this thing, right? 

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

- Afghanistan War (America bears the brunt of the costs, CCP gets free lithium and a weakened America)

- COVID-19 (China starts the fire, we make it worse and are burning ourself alive)

Cool. You've very effectively made the point that "shooting ourselves in the dick" is actually our number 1 threat.

Here's the cool thing: its the part of the whole mix that we actually have the most control over.  Imagine how middling both of those topics would be if we simply exercised the following easy control over our own affairs: don't shoot ourselves in the dick.

Take that step, and China is an annoyance.  China only sees any measurable success in its worldview because we have a single-minded obsession with shooting our own dick off.  If they gave out medals in self-dick-shooting, we'd run away with the gold.

Silly us, thinking that maybe we should fix the shit we CAN control -- our own behavior -- before we try to force third party nations to bend to our will?  Yeah, pure nuttery.

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

So I just found out today why my Dad would only get the J&J vaccine. Apparently the Pfizer and moderna vaccines cause major organ damage and fauci is well aware of this fact. Not to worry though, Ayn Rand is on the case. So if you got Pfizer or moderna, Oh well, too late now. 

It’s not easy being me sometimes. 

Texas Football also causes major organ damage. Where’s the research? WHAT IS CDC HIDING

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool. You've very effectively made the point that "shooting ourselves in the dick" is actually our number 1 threat.

Here's the cool thing: its the part of the whole mix that we actually have the most control over.  Imagine how middling both of those topics would be if we simply exercised the following easy control over our own affairs: don't shoot ourselves in the dick.

Take that step, and China is an annoyance.  China only sees any measurable success in its worldview because we have a single-minded obsession with shooting our own dick off.  If they gave out medals in self-dick-shooting, we'd run away with the gold.

Silly us, thinking that maybe we should fix the shit we CAN control -- our own behavior -- before we try to force third party nations to bend to our will?  Yeah, pure nuttery.

"But, but, but - they GAVE me the gun to shoot my dick off!1!!"

16 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

From what I've seen and read, nobody is NOT doing that, which is why I responded as I did. It's good and fine and well to focus on the millions of Americans blah blah blah, but the greatest benefactor to our political missteps has been our greatest threat, CCP:

This is still the COVID-19 political thread where we can talk about the geopolitical angles of this thing, right? 

The CCP isn't running for office in America. 

If I've effectively made the point you suggest then you have effectively made the point that our philosophical and political model-- that of a prized and fierce streak of individualism and the individual rights and freedom that our Western Democracy bends to-- is a model that leads to shooting ourselves in the crotch because it can't be governed at scale.

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Trump/Republicans own some blame for making COVID-19 worse domestically than it could have been, in hindsight. I'm not running away from that truth and don't know why you think I am.

Some??? SOME??? What the fuck have you been watching the last 20 months? Democrats are ~90% vaxed vs ~55% for R's. Wanna guess why? 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

If I've effectively made the point you suggest then you have effectively made the point that our philosophical and political model-- that of a prized and fierce streak of individualism and the individual rights and freedom that our Western Democracy bends to-- is a model that leads to shooting ourselves in the crotch because it can't be governed at scale.

And you've made the point that you've bought the lie of "it's always been the individual at the expense of the common good!  Founding Fathers 'Merica Freedom Eagle Gun!"  It's a lie.  The issue of vaccines is a perfect way to track that, starting with Washington and his troops, going all the way forward to the Supreme Court upholding vaccine mandates as a perfectly legitimate and permissible use of government power.

You believe in an easily disproven lie, because you've gargled what Fox et al has shot down your gullet for years.  Like millions of others.  Just because you are all gullible morons doesn't make it true.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And you've made the point that you've bought the lie of "it's always been the individual at the expense of the common good!  Founding Fathers 'Merica Freedom Eagle Gun!"  It's a lie.  The issue of vaccines is a perfect way to track that, starting with Washington and his troops, going all the way forward to the Supreme Court upholding vaccine mandates as a perfectly legitimate and permissible use of government power.

You believe in an easily disproven lie, because you've gargled what Fox et al has shot down your gullet for years.  Like millions of others.  Just because you are all gullible morons doesn't make it true.

I think the distinction is in the term "at scale".

Early America could be governed and managed through more or less sharing the same ethics and aesthetics-- we were loosely bound as a federated group of states who believed in the same ideals. We were more homologous. 

We are hopelessly fractured and impossibly balkanized as 300mm individuals now-- we've scaled out of control.

That's why I think "well duh, it's easy, just manage our ourselves and what we can control, people should be easy to govern and control right, dur" when in reality it's herding 300mm cats. Impossible.

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think the distinction is in the term "at scale".

Early America could be governed and managed through more or less sharing the same ethics and aesthetics-- we were loosely bound as a federated group of states who believed in the same ideals. We were more homologous. 

We are hopelessly fractured and impossibly balkanized as 300mm individuals now-- we've scaled out of control.

That's why I think "well duh, it's easy, just manage our ourselves and what we can control, people should be easy to govern and control right, dur" when in reality it's herding 300mm cats. Impossible.

As many here have pointed out, it only took 3000 deaths twenty years ago to get 99% of Americans to rally around the flag.  Fast forward to today, where we've lost 670,000 Americans and we know how to minimize further death, and we have 30% of the population willing to physically fight the remainder over having to pitch in.  But that's obviously because we've become much less "homologous" over the last 20 years?  Are you fucking kidding me?  We've become "impossibly balkanized" because of the never-ending barrage of bullshit from Fox / Rush / their progeny over the last 25 years, plain and simple.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The Murdoch family has done more to harm the US than China ever has.  If we were really Billy Badasses intent on using force to protect our country, we would have drone-striked the whole family years ago.  

The only other person in the conversation for "worst enemy America ever had" is Rush Limbaugh, who is, fortunately, still dead.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Mostly because 40% of those cats are psychotics who have been manipulated by insane propaganda for the past 30+ years.  We have always had division and disagreement.  Even a violent one over one of our founding mistakes (slavery).  But this isn't division and disagreement -- it's a mass-insanity alternate reality, created by people intent on fucking destroying us (and it's totally working).

The Murdoch family has done more to harm the US than China ever has.  If we were really Billy Badasses intent on using force to protect our country, we would have drone-striked the whole family years ago.  

The first bolded statement is perfectly timed with the advent and explosion of technology and interconnectivity and interoperability. People have never been more free to be themselves; what you've seen is the reality of what a true Democracy looks like more so than at any other time in history when people have been abstracted and proxied by powers that be, to keep people in K clusters.

The last bold is because it's like you have no idea what's coming, do you? Everyone (e.g. Facebook, Microsoft, Google, etc.) who already enables our fractured state is already down the path of creating a metaverse. With 5G, we are cemented as broken beyond repair. 

Anyways, none of that is CCP's direct fault and I'm just lobbying that we acknowledge the premiere threat to our global power and their hand in starting literally one of the worst global death and destruction of the last century. CCP is the lady who threw the beer in a crowd of the 10 drunk NFL football fans and then watched as they all beat themselves up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

we don't live in the same information ecosystem. You didn't know who Emmit fucking Till was, and up until you read the surly CRT thread, thought that it was just another way that black people were keepin' down the whites. You (and 100MM other americans) live in an alternate reality and information ecosystem that doesn't care to check facts or actually look into things further than "people are saying". 

Be better. You're part of the problem.

All true. We are all parts of a sphere depending on our lived experiences and it's our job to continue to expand that sphere as lifelong learners/growth mindset people. I'm not making excuses, I agree with you.

53 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

the USRP says hi

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I'm just lobbying that we acknowledge the premiere threat to our global power

The premiere threat to our global power is insane disinformation and the idiots here who disseminate it and believe it.

Like I said, the Murdoch family has done 100X the damage to us that China ever has.  And you believe in the Murdoch worldview.  You are part of the problem.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

As many here have pointed out, it only took 3000 deaths twenty years ago to get 99% of Americans to rally around the flag.  Fast forward to today, where we've lost 670,000 Americans and we know how to minimize further death, and we have 30% of the population willing to physically fight the remainder over having to pitch in.  But that's obviously because we've become much less "homologous" over the last 20 years?  Are you fucking kidding me?  We've become "impossibly balkanized" because of the never-ending barrage of bullshit from Fox / Rush / their progeny over the last 25 years, plain and simple.  

Completely different events, 9/11 and Covid-19. Apples and Oranges and tons of nuance needed to unpack, time we don't have and I'm not sold based on your post that you even understand how different the conversations are and that it would be worth the time with you.

Also, and not just you I've heard it from a lot of others here, but those who would lay the blame of the division and brokenness at Fox News and Rush or Joe Rogan (to note, I've never watched hardly any of these), is either lazy (binary, default to an emotionally comfortable answer), naive (young or stupid) or in denial to the inherent wickedness that is a human being. IMO of course.

We've digressed however, and I apologize for taking us on a tangent, when all I wanted was to lobby that CCP gets their badge of dishonor when we have these conversations and we remember their infamous part in the origin story of COVID-19-- and let's memorialize that by making sure we remember that so if-- big IF-- we can recover domestically from this and we are ever a healthy country again, we make them pay.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The last bold is because it's like you have no idea what's coming, do you? Everyone (e.g. Facebook, Microsoft, Google, etc.) who already enables our fractured state is already down the path of creating a metaverse. With 5G, we are cemented as broken beyond repair. 

Bolded, because with that you've completely outed yourself as a fucking dumbass.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The premiere threat to our global power is insane disinformation and the idiots here who disseminate it and believe it.

Like I said, the Murdoch family has done 100X the damage to us that China ever has.  And you believe in the Murdoch worldview.  You are part of the problem.

yup, part of the reason Russia and China aren't doing more to dismantle us is because we're doing a good enough job of it on our own. They just have to nudge us a little bit and then we do the rest. I don't know if we'll see another true war like we have in the past. Everything from here will be cyber and intellectual warfare and we're still over here playing tin soldier. That stick will be effective only so long.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

Bolded, because with that you've completely outed yourself as a fucking dumbass.

How is that? 5G is going to connect us in ways faster than we already are, which is going to open up many other avenues of technological disruption. We've seen what atrocities we can do to ourselves with 4G. I'm scared of 5G.

Speaking as a technologist, of course, not as a 5G is a conspiracy theory or whatever camp. But I'd love to hear how that makes me an outed dummy, unless you outed yourself as one by not understanding the premise.

Allow me to vent for a second. My kids are in HPISD schools. My 10th grade daughter is vaxxed. My 8th grade son is not. Daughter was able to get it based on consistent badgering of her mother, who finally relented. She's adamant our son will be not be vaccinated any time soon, not even one shot. You might recall, I just took my daughter to get her second without informing her mother, who authorized the first shot and maybe a second many months down the road.

Anyway, a few Saturdays back the HPISD school board had an emergency Saturday meeting and invited the public to come and speak. It was expected the board would implement at least a temporary mask mandate. It was about 75/25 (maybe more) people vehemently arguing against masks. (The 75205 and 75225 zip codes have well above 75% vaccination rates, I believe). After the dog-and-pony show, the board announced there would be no changes to policy at this time. Some parents were directly saying if the board implemented a mandate, they would immediately cease all donations to the district. Due to Robin Hood, HPISD relies heavily on the "Mad for Plaid" program to help replace funds that go to help other school districts across Texas. Others threatened to immediately sue the district. In the end, the district caved and said counsel advised them to "follow the law" as in Abbott's law. Whatever. I've ceased to be amazed by some of the shit that goes on in the Park Cities.

In addition to not mandating masks, or vaccines, the school is doing the absolute bare minimum to do anything about cases that crop up at the schools. There is an ongoing dashboard counting the number of cases at the district's seven schools and administration. They send out emails letting you know that X number of confirmed cases are at whatever school you have a kid at. And you also get a notification if one of those cases is in one of your kids' classrooms. But they do not contact trace. They do not tell you if the kid that was in your kids' classroom sat next to them, or was a lab partner or whatever. Am I being overly sensitive here? My daughter told me the kid who sits next to her in Spanish is out with COVID. All I got was an EM saying there was a child in her class that tested positive. Fortunately, my daughter is vaxxed. Again, I'm certain my son will get infected at some point.

We will be dealing with this pandemic well into 2022 IMO. This. Is. Fucking. Lunacy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 7

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I don't know if we'll see another true war like we have in the past.

Because apparently we have rulez, America likes to fight enemies that actually LOOK like enemies.  The % of dead in Afghanistan that looked... well... like everyone else - that's forever an un-knowable figure.  Gone are the days where one side dressed X while the other side dressed Y.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Allow me to vent for a second.  My 10th grade daughter is vaxxed. My 8th grade son is not. Daughter was able to get it based on consistent badgering of her mother, who finally relented. She's adamant our son will be not be vaccinated any time soon, not even one shot. You might recall, I just took my daughter to get her second without informing her mother, who authorized the first shot and maybe a second many months down the road.

We will be dealing with this pandemic well into 2022 IMO. This. Is. Fucking. Lunacy.

My 11th grade daughter has gulped more than her fair share of Orange - ade & does not want the shot.  My 9th grade son DID want it & is getting his booster this Friday.  My wife doesn't think either of the kids "needed" the shot.

You & I are essentially in the same situation, different school districts.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

How is that? 5G is going to connect us in ways faster than we already are, which is going to open up many other avenues of technological disruption. We've seen what atrocities we can do to ourselves with 4G. I'm scared of 5G.

Speaking as a technologist, of course, not as a 5G is a conspiracy theory or whatever camp. But I'd love to hear how that makes me an outed dummy, unless you outed yourself as one by not understanding the premise.

Oh, ok.  So you are good with 5G in a sense that it is just tech.  Fine, fine.

But you casually just dropping it in the rest of your inane bullshit that you post doesn't excuse the fact that there's a sizable segment of our population that spread FUD over what 5G is, and conflate it with every other QAnon shitpost they can dream up.  In other words, you don't get the benefit of the doubt posting it with everything else you state.  

But you casually just dropping it in the rest of your inane bullshit that you post doesn't excuse the fact that there's a sizable segment of our population that spread FUD over what 5G is, and conflate it with every other QAnon shitpost they can dream up.  In other words, you don't get the benefit of the doubt posting it with everything else you state.  

Tell me you aren’t familiar with my posting history without telling me, Francisco.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

you do realize that was a Class A coverup post, right? "Oh, the 5G thing didn't stick? Well here's my canned technical garbage post to cover up for the fact that I buy into conspiracy theories,"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, I'm familiar with the "just asking questions" angle.  Usually, those that employ it are full of shit.

Do you remember that movie 300? My 5G comment reminded me of the end scene when they are about to go to war with the Persians and he said “they are full of sheer terror knowing what horrors 300 Spartans did and now they stare across at 10,000!”

We as a country and people have fractured so deeply from one another due to the power that 4G tech has enabled us, to allow us human beings to be who we are as human beings, at scale.

What horrors 5G will bring? 

Do you remember that movie 300? My 5G comment reminded me of the end scene when they are about to go to war with the Persians and he said “they are full of sheer terror knowing what horrors 300 Spartans did and now they stare across at 10,000!”
We as a country and people have fractured so deeply from one another due to the power that 4G tech has enabled us, to allow us human beings to be who we are as human beings, at scale.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

There were two Spartan Hoplites that survived the battle of Thermopylae. Both returned to Sparta and were received with disdain. One killed himself. The other broke ranks and ran into a suicidal charge at the Persians and restored his honor among the Spartans.

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Completely different events, 9/11 and Covid-19. Apples and Oranges and tons of nuance needed to unpack,

If they're "completely different events", "apples and oranges", then there is no nuance.  You are literally just spewing words hoping someone thinks you know what you're talking about.

Lol, 5g? 5g is going to connect us more than ever? The 5g wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet. You have to basically blanket an area in transmitters to have any sort of reliable 5g service. The people who will benefit from it are already in cities with broadband options and solid LTE service. It's a nice little improvement for us city-folk, but it's not going to revolutionize anything out in the sticks. 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Lol, 5g? 5g is going to connect us more than ever? The 5g wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet. You have to basically blanket an area in transmitters to have any sort of reliable 5g service. The people who will benefit from it are already in cities with broadband options and solid LTE service. It's a nice little improvement for us city-folk, but it's not going to revolutionize anything out in the sticks. 

I don't even understand how it would improve information flow.

I mean, yeah, I guess if a 3D hologram of Tucker Carlson in one's living room (ew) would bring some undecideds to the dark side, I suppose, but I can get the base information in milliseconds right now.  What are the unknowns I'm not seeing?

Maybe that's it.  Maybe it's just a bigger firehose for the gaslighters.  At this point, I think the country is irrevocably fractured, I'm not sure what more damage can be done.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

there's 3 different things that are all rolled out as 5g.  you're thinking of the highest bandwidth one.  the one that should help small towns is mid band, where one tower could cover the whole place with 100s of Mbits/sec service. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Woman freaks out over sign that says "Love Science."  Gets caught by Ring camera then doxxed publicly.   On the other hand, Hailey Beagle made SurlyHorns, so she has that going for her.

hipster Orson Welles seems like a fun hang. 

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Dude what? It's going to change the clock speed of applications and connectivity. Empowering a lot of next-gen tech that is coming. Advancements in things like super computers and data processing and mining and quantum computing...all will be impacted bigly. I see your "Lol, 5g wut?" and raise you an "lol wut?".

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't even understand how it would improve information flow.

I mean, yeah, I guess if a 3D hologram of Tucker Carlson in one's living room (ew) would bring some undecideds to the dark side, I suppose, but I can get the base information in milliseconds right now.  What are the unknowns I'm not seeing?

Maybe that's it.  Maybe it's just a bigger firehose for the gaslighters.  At this point, I think the country is irrevocably fractured, I'm not sure what more damage can be done.

So we agree more than we disagree. At least at the thesis level.

3 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Woman freaks out over sign that says "Love Science."  Gets caught by Ring camera then doxxed publicly.   On the other hand, Hailey Beagle made SurlyHorns, so she has that going for her.

We have a bunch of scientists in the family and what's weird about Hailey Beagle and her bat shit crazy tantrum is that sign is the kind of thing that one or two of them would have similar to people that "love fishing" or "love gardening" or "love teaching." Wonder what would've happened if the sign said, "Love Science. Love Thy Neighbor..."

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If they're "completely different events", "apples and oranges", then there is no nuance.  You are literally just spewing words hoping someone thinks you know what you're talking about.

Completely different events in their impact and the effects they elicited. The nuance would be in trying to reduce down to a common denominator in cause and to tie similarities and parallels together would be a stretch, was my point. I hope that helps clear it up, but I'll try and answer any questions you might have.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

My argument is that China is the arsonist that started the fire across the globe and in America. America is of course guilty of mismanaging the conflagration here at home which has ultimately resulted in 677k domestic deaths. How you want to slice and dice the accountability is up to you. I was being hyperbolic in setting all the deaths at the feet of CCP, as stated, as a jarring reminder to those who would ignore or dismiss CCP's culpability in this worldwide pandemic.

Yeah ok.  Negged.  However, you bring up a point that I think bears repeating.  If nothing else, China has provided the blueprint for how some malevolent actor could take out the US as a superpower.  Simply unleash a virus.  Everyone else will work their ass off to get vaccinated.  Americans will not.  You could kill off millions of us with a well designed virus that has a vaccine available for it.  And don't think that other countries haven't noticed that.  It's why what you are trying to use as a gotcha is really just more reason that people on your side of the fence ought to be out yelling from the rooftops to vaccinate, for patriotic national security reasons if for nothing else.

But I don't expect to see a behavior change.  Best we can hope for is that as many of the dumber members of your party as possible die off quickly to give the rest of us a better chance when the real attack eventually comes.   

Because of what we've seen in this country since the vaccine became widely available, good luck with your crusade to hold China responsible.  Even if we agree that China is 100% responsible for this virus getting out into the world, we've had vaccines for 8 months now.  The only reason this is still even a thing in the US is because we've decided that we want China to do even more damage by ignoring our doctors and our government in favor of giving China even more kills in this virus war.  It's fucking moronic to be yelling about China at this point.  They no longer have anything at all to do with why we are where we are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5