CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Some 2,025 Americans died yesterday.

US health officials now say the first Covid-related death in the US was two years ago tomorrow -- January 9, 2020.  Since that time, 849K Americans have died from the disease.  That's an average of 1,163 dead Americans each day.  Many days lower, many days higher.

So yesterday 2,025 Americans died, some 74% higher than the average daily death rate so far, and you have the gall to say "the pandemic is over"?

On behalf of 2,025 grieving American families, I say fuck you.

so I’ve been wondering, how many people died on an avg day ?

9 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Whoops. Playbook having a bad day. 

I mean, they're both in their 60's and both have dark hair and wear glasses.  Which only describes about half the wives in D.C.  Fucking idiots.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

so I’ve been wondering, how many people died on an avg day ?

Pre-covid (2019), just under 8,000 per day.  I don't know what the number is for 2021, but it's almost surely higher just due to covid alone.

Note:  the flu statistic on this chart is misleading, they didn't normalize to a 365 day year, but rather an arbitrary 6 month "flu season".

US deaths per day

image.png.4252c7143466bc6fc9ce9fcf4d15bb28.png

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Freestanding ERs in Austin running a testing scam. I have no idea why someone would go to one fo these places to get tested, but fuck them generally. 

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/austin-couple-responsible-for-3973-after-covid-tests/amp/

Wow it's almost like our predatory healthcare system is built to enable scams like this thanks to the opaqueness of pricing and the scarcity of service. Ah, well, nevertheless.

Those freestanding ERs are a scam, and are meant to be a scam - it’s an essential part of their business model. They look just like the old cheap “minute clinics.” But charge 50X the rate.
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Cement said:

The fact that Sotomayor would do this while hundreds of thousands of kids are hospitalized on ventilators with Covid right now is unconscionable.  

25 minutes ago, Cement said:

If Sotomayor says there are, no link needed.  Amiright?

If you're going to call out a politician for false or misleading statements, which Sotomayor did indeed make, then please get the statement correct without adding extra mistakes on top of it. Note the difference. You may think it small, but it's important.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit--and yes, I read the entire article and noted that there are fewer than her total amount hospitalized and that the 100,000 number is way off even for case counts.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, Brisketexan said:

Our family went to K95s a good while back.  You can order a box of 20 on Amazon for cheap.  And they've already been required in several foreign countries and certain offices for a while, so it's just best to default to them.

And frankly, with the open space in the front of your mouth and nose inside the mask, I actually find them much easier to breathe in, so I prefer them.  

Fit it right, wear it, and it DOES have benefit, both for you and FROM you (confining your potentially infectious breath).  Nothing's perfect, but reasonably properly work KN95s are a demonstrated help.

I use N95s, KN95s, and 4 layer surgical masks.  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And a vast majority of those current COVID deaths are the unvaccinated.  And if they happen to mainly be members of the Trump cult....

well bye GIF

This is where I am. I have to wear a mask at the hospital I choose to wear a mask in my office where I can force my staff and patients to comply as well. But in other settings I couldn’t care less what people do. I’m vaxed, as is my family. If you’re too ignorant or obstinate to protect yourself at this point then you get what you get

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Cement said:

A reminder that journos are garbage.

Well, I guess if we cannot trust the word of Sunny McSunnyface who can we trust?  You spread false information on here.  It was YOUR responsibility to make sure YOU were not spreading lies/false information.  Have some fucking integrity and own your poor judgement and then promise to do better.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Having a Supreme Court Justice come out with a completely fabricated statement with zero basis in fact is absolutely zero fucking help. 

America is such a stupid place we even manage to politicize a virus. 

It’s just ridiculous. 

I have no issue with a mandate, wearing masks, I’ve been boosted but the way communications have been handled on this from day one has been a clusterfuck of inconsistency. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

People misspeak all the time.  This isn't some habit of hers that has been recorded 17,000 times.   And what I read had her saying it was 100k kids sick, and many on ventilators, not 100k on ventilators or 90k on ventilators.  The whole fucking story is a bunch of nothing bullshit.  Tucker Carlson and Ted Cruz lie every day multiple times and no one bats and eye.  A democratic party member says something wrong or misstates something, and it is a god damn lightning rod for the stupids.  Yeah you fell for it hook line and sinker.    The only reason I know about this is because of this website and then a google search.  

WE did not politicize a virus.  WE did not deny it exists.  WE did not spread misinformation or fake cures.  

Link to 100k children hospitalized w Covid? It was a stupid statement. It’s ok to acknowledge that

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

People misspeak all the time.  This isn't some habit of hers that has been recorded 17,000 times.   And what I read had her saying it was 100k kids sick, and many on ventilators, not 100k on ventilators or 90k on ventilators.  The whole fucking story is a bunch of nothing bullshit.  Tucker Carlson and Ted Cruz lie every day multiple times and no one bats and eye.  A democratic party member says something wrong or misstates something, and it is a god damn lightning rod for the stupids.  Yeah you fell for it hook line and sinker.    The only reason I know about this is because of this website and then a google search.  

WE did not politicize a virus.  WE did not deny it exists.  WE did not spread misinformation or fake cures.  

I’m just frustrated and I didn’t see quote on Fox/Here. I didn’t say she said 100k on vents. She said 100k in serious condition heavily implying hospitalized. (due to her saying many on vents) It’s just throwing errant statements around that can be manipulated and inflamed that I’m frustrated about. 

I’m a follow the data/science guy (have had covid, am vaxxed/boosted) so i get annoyed when people use bad stats to make covid claims  

• Hook 'Em 1

Crimony, y'all will nitpick at the vague if it comes from the left but will completely ignore crass hyperbole coming from the right on a daily basis.  Here's her exact quote:

“We have hospitals that are almost at full capacity with people severely ill on ventilators. We have over 100,000 children, which we’ve never had before, in serious condition, and many on ventilators,” Sotomayor claimed.

So no, she didn't say 100,000 kids were in the hospital, much less on vents, due to covid.  Did she imply things are worse than they are?  I don't know. 

It looks to me that there are some 18M ACTIVE CASES in the United States right now, and that number is surely on the low side, because many people just ride it out at home without testing at a medical care facility.  22% of the US population is under the age of 18.  If omicron is spread out equally across all age groups, and it appears that it is affecting younger people much more than alpha thru delta, then that would imply somewhere in the neighborhood of 4M active cases in children.  

Is it so absurd to say that 100K of those 4M cases are "serious"?  That's 2.5% of the total case load.  I don't know, but I'm not running to launch the bat signal like some of you assholes are.  Jesus H Christ on a big wheel.  Grow up.  Gah.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:56 PM, Immaculate Vibes said:

I’d be willing to bet you don’t have small kids. The only people I’ve seen downplay the effects of school closures and remote learning are people without kids that had to do it. 

I do not have small kids.  And I concede that that is a shit sandwich.

But all this moaning about how all the kids are going to turn into psychos or developmentally disabled seems premature, at best.

The wildcard there is the even greater exposure/immersion in social media, which may indeed produce a bunch of psychos.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But all this moaning about how all the kids are going to turn into psychos or developmentally disabled seems premature, at best.

The concerted effort to carve critical thinking skills out of public education by the republican party is what is hindering development. But this is a more convenient and culture war aligned way to scream about it, so expect to see much more of it

• Hook 'Em 2

Recap of what Supreme Court justices claimed as fact. It's quite amazing. (FYI grossly wrong) :
- 90% of hospitalized are unvaccinated
- over 100,000 children hospitalized
- 750 million positive cases yesterday
- vaccines stop transmission
- Omicron deadlier than Delta
- OSHA has broad police power
  • Fuck You 12

54 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:
Recap of what Supreme Court justices claimed as fact. It's quite amazing. (FYI grossly wrong) :
- 90% of hospitalized are unvaccinated
- over 100,000 children hospitalized
- 750 million positive cases yesterday
- vaccines stop transmission
- Omicron deadlier than Delta
- OSHA has broad police power

Part of this, at a minimum, is fake news.

• Like 3

Now this is new (and possibly horribly mis-interpreted, though I can't find any original statement), atleast for me. This BBC article is implying that the Scottish government is considering that Covid itself - not the vaccine, but the actual disease - may have some adverse affect on pregnancies.

The Scottish government has deferred fertility treatment for all patients who are not fully vaccinated - unless they are waiting to become eligible for a booster.

It said the decision was based on uncertainty about how pregnant women were affected by the Omicron variant amid rising cases.

I've certainly heard the theory that the vaccine might have adverse affect on pregnancies, though I believe that's been thoroughly disproven. But I'd never heard anyone claim that the disease itself might affect pregnancies. In my defense however, I haven't really combed the internet looking for this stuff, so I may have missed it.

Edited by ouflak

5 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Now this is new (and possibly horribly mis-interpreted, though I can't find any original statement), atleast for me. This BBC article is implying that the Scottish is considering that Covid itself - not the vaccine, but the actual disease - may have some adverse affect on pregnancies.

I've certainly heard the theory that the vaccine might have adverse affect on pregnancies, though I believe that's been thoroughly disproven. But I'd never heard anyone claim that the disease itself might affect pregnancies. In my defense however, I haven't really combed the internet looking for this stuff, so I may have missed it.

If one is unvaccinated, I believe pregnancy has increased adverse outcomes. I'll see if I can find you a link...

Here is a link which then has a few more embedded links: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/pregnant-people.html

Screenshot of a snippet:

cdc.png.a4f0530a9d35390c7efbe9bf82d66471.png

Edit to add. Amidst some of the info on the main page, there is a link to sources and citations if you'd care to read further.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Now this is new (and possibly horribly mis-interpreted, though I can't find any original statement), atleast for me. This BBC article is implying that the Scottish government is considering that Covid itself - not the vaccine, but the actual disease - may have some adverse affect on pregnancies.

The vaccine DOES NOT have an adverse affect on pregnancies.  That is complete bullshit from the internet.  Stop posting lies.

The virus DOES have an issue on pregnancies.  This is known, and the data backs it up.  See Mrs Whiggins' post.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The vaccine DOES NOT have an adverse affect on pregnancies.  That is complete bullshit from the internet.  Stop posting lies.

The virus DOES have an issue on pregnancies.  This is known, and the data backs it up.  See Mrs Whiggins' post.  

I think he/she said that theory  misinformation about the vaccines and adverse affect has been disproven? It was awkwardly worded, so I don't think it was intentional.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Change wording
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

BTW I never got vaxxed. Nov 2020 I got alpha or beta. It was rough. Sense of smell didnt come back for 3 mos.  New Cron I made a bitch.  Like a head cold. I think my T-cells fired.

God, I admire you/Fletch

11 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Link to 100k children hospitalized w Covid? It was a stupid statement. It’s ok to acknowledge that

Try reading before you react.  Then reflect on it for a moment.  And then add in empathy and understanding.   Because I am sure you have never misspoke before.  Or are you a 57 States guy?

Edited by Nivek

https://reason.com/volokh/
Couple good articles here, without fake news.  Put oral arguments on background yesterday.   Very passionate questioning from Sotomayor,  Kagan and Breyer.
OSHA mandate going down.  Healthcare worker mandate will stand.

It’s actually a good discussion (although he too bites on the fake take on Sotomayor’s statement, while being more careful to dissect Gorsuch’s apparent error - which actually wasn’t, when you break it down and listen carefully….same as Sotomayor’s).

The subdiscussion about the reasoning/basis for the OSHA mandate, or actually the lack thereof when it comes to what would be permissible and supportable reasoning, is strong. And the takeaway is accurate: OSHA COULD implement an enforceable mandate (somewhat different from this one), but the present one probably doesn’t cut it.

22 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

https://reason.com/volokh/

Couple good articles here, without fake news.  Put oral arguments on background yesterday.   Very passionate questioning from Sotomayor,  Kagan and Breyer.

OSHA mandate going down.  Healthcare worker mandate will stand.

Those "fact check" articles make multiple assumptions.

36 minutes ago, Nivek said:

God, I admire you/Fletch

Try reading before you react.  Then reflect on it for a moment.  And then add in empathy and understanding.   Because I am sure you have never misspoke before.  Or are you a 57 States guy?

She said over 100k children in serious condition.

A Supreme Court justice during arguments before the court should be more circumspect. That shouldn’t be a controversial take. 

Edited by Sawbonz

A Supreme Court justice during arguments before the court should be more circumspect. That shouldn’t be a controversial take. 

Read and listen to her actual statement, NOT the characterizations of it by the COVID/vax denier crowd. She didn’t say 100k kids are on vents. Same as Gorsuch didn’t say the flu kills hundreds of thousands. Pauses/commas matter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Read and listen to her actual statement, NOT the characterizations of it by the COVID/vax denier crowd. She didn’t say 100k kids are on vents. Same as Gorsuch didn’t say the flu kills hundreds of thousands. Pauses/commas matter.

Read my statement. I didn’t say she said there were 100k kids on vents. Why are you insinuating I did? I read her actual statement. She said “In serious condition” which means hospitalized at minimum and implies seriously ill. That is untrue and at best a careless statement. Quit acting like any criticism of your side (which happens to be my side in this case) is defense of the other side. Misinformation is misinformation regardless of the source 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I seriously hate the dumbing down of the media. 

Gorsuch: “The flu kills people every year. Traditionally OSHA does not regulate in this area. We have flu vaccines. Flu kills—I believe—hundreds of thousands of people every year.”

Soto mayor: “Those numbers show that omicron is as deadly and causes as much serious disease in the unvaccinated as delta did. … We have over 100,000 children, which we’ve never had before, in serious condition and many on ventilators.”

1 hour ago, ouflak said:

Preterm births are greatly increased in Covid positive mothers. Not sure about miscarriages 

18 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Read my statement. I didn’t say she said there were 100k kids on vents. Why are you insinuating I did? I read her actual statement. She said “In serious condition” which means hospitalized at minimum and implies seriously ill. 

Why do you believe that means "hospitalized"? 

I showed some very basic math earlier that points to 100K cases representing a 2.5% "severe illness" rate in children, assuming omicron is spreading evenly across all age groups.  That might be a bad assumption, but omicron is known to affect children proportionally more than any previous variant.  Would 2.5% of cases being "serious" give you pause?  What if it's 5%?

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why do you believe that means "hospitalized"? 

I showed some very basic math earlier that points to 100K cases representing a 2.5% "severe illness" rate in children, assuming omicron is spreading evenly across all age groups.  That might be a bad assumption, but omicron is known to affect children proportionally more than any previous variant.  Would 2.5% of cases being "serious" give you pause?  What if it's 5%?

I posted the Travis County mortality rates by age group and they largely parallel the country. 
There’s been one death pandemic to date in Travis county for those 19 and under. 
By and large it is not a disease that kills school age kids. (Not saying they cannot feel like shit/be sick)

Nationally pandemic to date around 82k kids have been hospitalized. 

This disease does not kill kids (in any statistically significant manner) 

This disease kills BMI > 40 and/Or people over 60. 

It probably wouldn’t kill them if they were vaccinated. 

This is why my reaction to Sotomeyor’s comments is so strong. There’s enough real meaningful data and enough people have gotten sick and died that we shouldn’t need to make up numbers. 

This thing is easy to reduce impact on: get vaccinated, wear masks. 

Correct, covid doesn't kill kids in any statistically significant manner . . . to date.  I think it's safe to assume omicron will not be more lethal in kids than prior variants.

That doesn't change the fact that people are reading things into Sotomayor's statement that she didn't necessarily mean to imply.  "Serious" doesn't have to mean "hospitalized".

Hell, my 7 YO grandson, who lives with us, just started feeling better yesterday after a week-long symptomatic round of covid.  While I wouldn't say he ever approached the point where we considered taking him to the hospital, I also wouldn't say his illness was a long way from "serious", either.  He was a sick kid -- persistent, moderately high fever, vomiting, severe headache, extreme fatigue, and pinkeye (which might not have been related to covid).  One data point that means exactly what you paid for it, but it definitely colors MY perception of the Justice's remark.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

• Hook 'Em 1