Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

52 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Not much chatter on here  about us going back to natural grass  in a few years.   Is that an SEC thing?   I can't recall if any of the existing members have turf.

But how is that going to work out at DKR?   We went from the old AstroTurf to grass in the 90's and early 2k's to the new generation of turfs we have today and I recall toward the last transition, DKR was like playing in a mud pit even when the weather was somewhat dry.   

You don't want to be part of the bunch that has turf.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think this is correct to an extent but I would also say you are nuts if you think the hobo looking guy on the corner with his stack of tickets in one hand and his well cadenced “extra tickets, hey anybody got extra tickets” crowd calls was a self made one man show scalper. He was just the dealer the ticket broker was always pulling the strings.

Technology made a better hobo.

The old-school scalper market was very efficient and involved no middle-man taking a cut and driving prices up.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Actually, it is if from game to game you are transferring to different people who do not have season tickets themselves and they have to go download the right app, etc., etc., etc.

With paper tickets I can just hand them a ticket.  Pretty damn easy.  Easier even than a screenshot, which will eventually not work because, I promise you, they will start going to the active tickets.

But you have to meet them in person to hand over the ticket... 

8 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Not much chatter on here  about us going back to natural grass  in a few years.   Is that an SEC thing?   I can't recall if any of the existing members have turf.

But how is that going to work out at DKR?   We went from the old AstroTurf to grass in the 90's and early 2k's to the new generation of turfs we have today and I recall toward the last transition, DKR was like playing in a mud pit even when the weather was somewhat dry.   

I believe CDC said DKR can’t go to grass until they improve the practice facility. The team uses DKR all the time for workouts and practice. 

Regarding the intramural field behind San Jacinto, is that an environmentally protected area because Waller Creek runs alongside it? It makes too much damned sense to build the new practice facility there. I think moving the School of Social Work is going to be very difficult. You could build them a brand new school by the Disch and faculty/students would still bitch because it’s not on Main Campus. 

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any grass experts want to weigh in on what the type of grass the stadium should have? I'd prefer not that shit they had in the Super Bowl.

Tifway 419 Bermuda is the most likely choice for DKR

SB grass was over seeded with rye for color and it didn’t root well. Plus painting the whole field prob didn’t help.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:18 PM, TexasGary said:

Lastly, CDC was asked about bringing back paper ticket / printed tickets for season tickets holders;  He said that they had checked and couldn't find a vendor for printed tickets.  I find that very hard to believe as a quick search on the world wide internets shows many vendors but okay.

This is the way of the dinosaur. That's like someone asking why we can't go to Dillard's anymore to buy tickets through Ticketron.

13 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Actually, it is if from game to game you are transferring to different people who do not have season tickets themselves and they have to go download the right app, etc., etc., etc.

With paper tickets I can just hand them a ticket.  Pretty damn easy.  Easier even than a screenshot, which will eventually not work because, I promise you, they will start going to the active tickets.

Are there really people left who don't know how to download an app? It literally takes 10 seconds. 

I guarantee you it's faster than driving to meet them to hand over the tickets.

7 hours ago, TornACL said:

Are there really people left who don't know how to download an app? It literally takes 10 seconds. 

I guarantee you it's faster than driving to meet them to hand over the tickets.

are you like a 20 year old orphan who doesn't interact with a single person older than you? of course there are a ton of people who have issues with this, it isn't just downloading an app but it's logging in/having a secure password/remembering which app it is/etc - there are a LOT of olds out there that go to games.

i'm all in favor of having digital tickets, but there are people who are decently technologically minded i know who have had issues transferring tickets to other people because those folks don't have an account on that specific school's ticket program, etc.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

are you like a 20 year old orphan who doesn't interact with a single person older than you? of course there are a ton of people who have issues with this, it isn't just downloading an app but it's logging in/having a secure password/remembering which app it is/etc - there are a LOT of olds out there that go to games.

i'm all in favor of having digital tickets, but there are people who are decently technologically minded i know who have had issues transferring tickets to other people because those folks don't have an account on that specific school's ticket program, etc.

Need like 3 different logins currently to transfer tickets it seems.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding the intramural field behind San Jacinto, is that an environmentally protected area because Waller Creek runs alongside it? It makes too much damned sense to build the new practice facility there.

That's Clark Field.  It's not an intramural field but there's no way they build there, imo.  It's only big enough for one field and they'd have to use every inch of land to get a full field indoors.  Can't imagine the pita it would be to build there - no access for heavy vehicles.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Why not just leave a print ticket option?   Most of your digital tickets are QR codes that can be printed and read by the same scanners.

I'm 51 and not an "old" (although some of the younger people on here will call me one) and tech savvy.  But I kind of like to have the print tickets available just in case my phone dies, is lost, or ends up in the toilet.     

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

That's Clark Field.  It's not an intramural field but there's no way they build there, imo.  It's only big enough for one field and they'd have to use every inch of land to get a full field indoors.  Can't imagine the pita it would be to build there - no access for heavy vehicles.

Sounds like they may have to use the existing facility area to build it.   How much does the outdoor part of that practice facility get used these days vs the team just doing that stuff at DKR on the turf?   Easiest path would be to use that area to build the new one and then make the area where the Bubble stands, the outdoor portion after tearing it down.  Just looking at a map, I can't see anywhere closer to the stadium that would suffice without tearing down something that is probably historical or would cost an arm and a leg to rebuild elsewhere on campus.

8 hours ago, NoName said:

LMAO @  20yr old orphan. I don't know why but i can't stop laughing at this in regards to this convo. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Sounds like they may have to use the existing facility area to build it.   How much does the outdoor part of that practice facility get used these days vs the team just doing that stuff at DKR on the turf?   Easiest path would be to use that area to build the new one and then make the area where the Bubble stands, the outdoor portion after tearing it down.  Just looking at a map, I can't see anywhere closer to the stadium that would suffice without tearing down something that is probably historical or would cost an arm and a leg to rebuild elsewhere on campus.

CDC made the point during the town hall that it took the players too long to get to the current practice field and that they were looking for a new, more convenient location.  I can't figure out where that would be, but he made it seem like they were going to a new, closer location to DKR.

7 hours ago, Mittens said:

Your talking about Texas, man!!!

They will make access…. 

51 minutes ago, field said:

CDC made the point during the town hall that it took the players too long to get to the current practice field and that they were looking for a new, more convenient location.  I can't figure out where that would be, but he made it seem like they were going to a new, closer location to DKR.

You have Rec/Sports center between the School of Social Work and Moncrief, but not sure the foot print is large enough for both an indoor and outdoor practice facility. 

Then you have Mike Myers stadium.   Do you move that across I-35  to join the Disch/Tennis/Softball  and maybe build an Indoor Track facility as part of that complex? An indoor facility that could be shared by Softball and Baseball for indoor practice  and training  during inclement weather too.

I just don't see anything adjacent to the stadium other than those two facilities that could be relocated and not have an outcry associated with it.

11 hours ago, Mittens said:

Students would probably climb in the trees by the creek and chain themselves to those trees.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Just go to Bellmont and get yours printed. It’s $30.

Ok…but that would require the person finding their car keys, trying to find Belmont, spending $20 to park, trying to find the door, then looking for the ticket office, finally getting to the counter, only to realize that they forgot their checkbook!

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

When did they change the donation levels? I used to be in the $2,000 Silver level, and my sister was in the Gold level ($4,000 or $5,000). Now, She’s down in the new $1,500 Tradition level with me. She wont be able to hold that over on me, and I don’t think the extra benefits of moving up to the $6,000 Legend level will interest her. I’m sure we’ll both have to continue our current donation to keep our seats. She gonna be pissed. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Tradition and Legend levels for the new poors…lol.