The Official Colt McCoy 2021 Destination Thread

jettrink

• immamac changed the title to The Official Colt McCoy 2021 Destination Thread

The Cardinals let quarterback Brett Hundley, who backed up Murray in 2019 and was the team's third-string quarterback in 2020, walk in free agency, leaving the team with former CFL quarterback Chris Streveler as Murray's backup.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury, a former standout quarterback at Texas Tech before becoming the Red Raiders' head coach from 2013 to 2018, had thrown his support behind Streveler as his choice to be Murray's back-up multiple times last season.

McCoy could fill Hundley's role as the veteran presence in the Cardinals' quarterbacks room while being inactive all season.

Yeah, that’s a pretty sweet gig. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty good work by the QB coach. 

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray wasn't the only one surprised Saturday morning by a birthday message from his teammate, fellow quarterback Colt McCoy.

McCoy didn't know he had given Murray a birthday gift, either. During their morning quarterbacks meeting, a video of McCoy wishing Murray a happy birthday was played on a projector.

"I wanted to reach out and tell you happy birthday, man," he said in the message. "I know you're a quarterback, too, love the Longhorns. I just want to wish you good luck in training camp. Stay humble this season. Stay great. Be a leader. And, most importantly, today, enjoy your birthday, man. It's special. God bless. See ya."

Wait, what? Love the Longhorns? Here's the catch: McCoy didn't know he was recording the video for Murray. In honor of Murray turning 24 on Saturday, Cardinals quarterbacks coach Cam Turner bought a video message from McCoy through Cameo, a site that enables people to pay celebrities to record personalized messages. He said the birthday boy's name was "Buddy" and poked a little fun at the rivalry between Murray's Oklahoma Sooners and McCoy's Texas Longhorns.

Turner used his mother-in-law's credit card and made up an email address just for the gift. That way, it was untraceable.

"I was sweating," Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Saturday afternoon. "I was so embarrassed. Yeah, I knew it was coming, and [Murray] didn't know, but it was well played."

But there's more. After Turner requested the video from Cameo, McCoy declined to do it. So, Kingsbury said Turner paid double for McCoy -- whose posted fee is $112 -- to rush the video. That got it done.

"It was quite a process," Kingsbury said. "We were stressing."

In a video that the Cardinals tweeted on Saturday, McCoy was seen cracking up. He had unknowingly taken part in an epic training camp practical joke.

"It was pretty genius," Kingsbury said. "One of the best ones I've ever seen, but it was hard to keep it to ourselves all week, knowing that it was gonna happen. It was well played."

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Getting to see a little Colt McCoy for the Cardinals tonite on ESPN.

Apparently, Kliff thought Colt was the most important acquisition of the off-season. Said Murray grew up idolizing him and Colt really helping him in the QB room etc…Colt just had his first series and we are about to see Shane Buechele after Henne now that Mahomes is done.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Kyler really teed that one up. Who wants it?

I’ll take it, but I don’t feel good about it. 

Kyler Murray on backup QB Colt McCoy: "great dude...I grew up watching him and we see eye to navel on a lot of stuff."

Edited by Lhorn
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Receiver fell down. But nobody will remember that. He’s (Shane) looked pretty good tonight. Hope he sticks.

I’m guessing he makes the team. They take 16 for PS. 53 man roster. Covid makes it almost essential I’d think to have 3 QBs. He shows a lot of promise.

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Backup QBU?

Colt has solidified his spot. I haven’t been paying as much attention to Shane so PS? Or maybe he beats Henne out? Eason has the edge with the Colts but the staff also really believes in Sam—hence why he gets the first half with the starters with the Vikings. If he slays it he could be QB2. Eason has really improved since Sam earned reps with the ones. and then there is Gilbert…I’m guessing he makes as QB2 under Dak unless they bring in someone else. 

1 minute ago, F250 said:

This was me yelling at Mack when Colt went down in the 2010 Championship game.

I was basically in denial. Even after he came back on the sideline and wasn’t wearing his jersey. I never fully processed it. Lulz. So watching the rest of the game was surreal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I was basically in denial. Even after he came back on the sideline and wasn’t wearing his jersey. I never fully processed it. Lulz. So watching the rest of the game was surreal. 

That play completely took all the air out of our balloon.....not a pretty sight.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

That play completely took all the air out of our balloon.....not a pretty sight.

At the end of the third quarter my brother looks at me and said, “What part of Colt can’t hold or throw a football and isn’t playing the rest of the game don’t you understand?” 

Me:

4D4AA233-6452-424D-9AA7-1316A4B1A801.gif

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Hornster said:

Colt gets the start at the 49ers this afternoon. He's 0-4 in midseason emergency starts (not playing week before), with an average 17 point loss. Vegas moved AZ to -5.5, so will be a partial redemption to this sports weekend if Colt can pull an upset vs 3-4 SF.

If it doesn't work out he can come suit up for us again. He can probably pass for a sophomore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re-signing QB Colt McCoy will be ‘highly important’ for Cardinals

One of the most important offseason moves the Arizona Cardinals made last offseason was signing quarterback Colt McCoy. It wasn’t a big move by any means, but he has proven to be an asset as Kyler Murray’s backup.

Re-signing McCoy is “highly important.”

“We all know obviously what he has done on the field is second to none in terms of a guy that can come in and play at a high level and keep you on pace of winning, but at the same time, you look back and say how many good things has he done off the field with his leadership and the things he does in the film room,” Keim said in the interview. “It’s hard to say what that value is, but there’s no doubt that a reason for a lot of our success, Colt McCoy is certainly in that mix.”

It seems like an easy fit. The Cardinals want him. He isn’t likely going to, at age 35, get to go somewhere to be a starter. The Cardinals are good, have a good offensive system and he seems to enjoy being Murray’s teammate.

However, there are league rules that prevent him from signing a contract extension.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/signing-qb-colt-mccoy-highly-221317177.html