Atlanta FX

GSU&UT

Man. This show is terrible this season. Really, really bad. They just beat you over the head with the point they’re making. And watching the last two episodes has just been plain aggravating. Watching Earn’s girl drag him to shit he doesn’t want to go to, put him in awkward situations then leave him hanging, only for her to get mad at him for liking it- ugh. Followed by one half hour log “Barber’s be like” bit. Every mishap was completely telegraphed, leaving the payoff as an inevitability. And nobody in their right mind would have put up with that for an entire day. I’m still going to keep watching at this point but I don’t have a ton of hope for future episodes.

Edited by Goo Punch

Also, I’ve never seen a show treat its main characters like this so early on in its existence. Paperboy and Darius weren’t even in the German episode; now Earn and Darius are absent for an entire episode. And then this season is so drastically different from the first season. I get that Donald Glover is trying to do his own thing, but so far I could not be more disappointed in this season. Same goes for anyone I actually know who is watching. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Don't agree that this season is bad. Not at all.

I thought last night's episode was peculiar, probably a 6/10 from me, and I agree they beat the point too much (we get it, Black men love their barbers, we needed a whole episode for what I'm sure many Black comedians could cover in a 4-minute joke?). But I do enjoy Paperboi/the actor that plays him, and he's the realest character on the show imo, so it was still somewhat enjoyable.

I liked the episode before though. Earn and "his girl" had a real f'n episode that brought out some real issues between them. I've been in that situation, and I'm sure many of us have, but I'm not sure you get both viewpoints (man "doesn't know" what he wants/just wants to fuck and chill, woman wants to fuck but also stability) from a lot of depictions of that situation. It was more character progression to me, further revealing Earn as a normal-ass dude who really could be considered a POS.

i thought it was a fine episode, and i've already been disappointed a couple times this season.  it was very familiar though - reminded me of the episode in s1 in the club where earn kept trying to get paid and got the runaround all night (although that one was better).  black people run away from responsibility.  got it.

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Don't agree that this season is bad. Not at all.

I thought last night's episode was peculiar, probably a 6/10 from me, and I agree they beat the point too much (we get it, Black men love their barbers, we needed a whole episode for what I'm sure many Black comedians could cover in a 4-minute joke?). But I do enjoy Paperboi/the actor that plays him, and he's the realest character on the show imo, so it was still somewhat enjoyable.

I liked the episode before though. Earn and "his girl" had a real f'n episode that brought out some real issues between them. I've been in that situation, and I'm sure many of us have, but I'm not sure you get both viewpoints (man "doesn't know" what he wants/just wants to fuck and chill, woman wants to fuck but also stability) from a lot of depictions of that situation. It was more character progression to me, further revealing Earn as a normal-ass dude who really could be considered a POS.

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i thought it was a fine episode, and i've already been disappointed a couple times this season.  it was very familiar though - reminded me of the episode in s1 in the club where earn kept trying to get paid and got the runaround all night (although that one was better).  black people run away from responsibility.  got it.

Interesting seeing the different conclusions drawn from people watching the show. Here I am watching the show thinking to myself how trifling that barber was. Little did I know that I was actually watching a behavioral documentary on black people. 

• Like 1

my assessment was based on the club owner that kept avoiding paying earn and the barber that clearly was fucking around half the town.  i don't think the takeaway was "black men love their barbers" as much as "people in general don't like their hair being fucked up and getting 1/8th of a haircut."

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my assessment was based on the club owner that kept avoiding paying earn and the barber that clearly was fucking around half the town.  i don't think the takeaway was "black men love their barbers" as much as "people in general don't like their hair being fucked up and getting 1/8th of a haircut."

You completely missed the point of the final scene and episode.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:26 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Interesting seeing the different conclusions drawn from people watching the show. Here I am watching the show thinking to myself how trifling that barber was. Little did I know that I was actually watching a behavioral documentary on black people. 

are you surprised? you knew this was going to happen. same with Chapelle's stuff. 

We're catching up on the show from last season. Got through the Van drug test episode last night. The Montague episode was great. I think Alfred is my favorite character so far. 

There was a really good article on Atlanta and Donald Glover in the New Yorker a few weeks ago. Seems like a tortured genius. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/donald-glover-cant-save-you

Edited by mdmost

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We're catching up on the show from last season. Got through the Van drug test episode last night. The Montague episode was great. I think Alfred is my favorite character so far. 

There was a really good article on Atlanta and Donald Glover in the New Yorker a few weeks ago. Seems like a tortured genius. 

"Van, who speaks German for reasons we never learn,"

say what? did it need to spelled out?

"“I don’t even want them laughing if they’re laughing at the caged animal in the zoo,”

can't be surprised Donald, ask Dave.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:40 PM, mdmost said:

He’s always seemed that way.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:56 PM, naija said:

are you surprised? you knew this was going to happen. same with Chapelle's stuff. 

With all due respect to a comedy GOAT, comparing Chappelle's show to Atlanta is pretty short-sighted. Dave wrote in his comedy style, with all its ridiculousness. Atlanta, for all its comedy and hilarious situations, is still a drama and a story at the end of the day.

In the same thread people are recognizing that Donald Glover is a tortured genius and also denying that his show would have any subtext or theme exploration. Peculiar...

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I liken it to Louie but without the jerking off in front of female comedians. 

I agree with this. I think this contributes to some of the criticism of the show too. Some people expect a laugh-a-minute sitcom when the humor is actually much more subtle and some scenes/episodes aren't really meant to be funny at all.    

Edited by Seasick Sailor

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I agree with this. I think this contributes to some of the criticism of the show too. Some people expect a laugh-a-minute sitcom when the humor is actually much more subtle and some scenes/episodes aren't really meant to be funny at all.    

Definitely agree with this.