Atlanta FX

GSU&UT

58 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

About as much closure and "hope" we can get from this show. Earn needed that. There was a lot of showcase acting in that episode and everybody did well. Al on the plane was pretty damn solid, Darius getting "serious" and focusing at that Jewish spot, Earn baring himself for Darius, all good shit.

Reveal hidden contents

People on twitter were saying that Earn did that on purpose, I thought he probably just left it in his bag on accident after taking it out of Al's presence and then had to make a split-second decision at the airport. What y'all think? If he did do that on purpose it seems like the first time he's really taken something into his own hands and made some shit happen. But it also kinda seems far-fetched.

With respect to the gun:

Spoiler

Earn forgot about it.  Then purposely put it in Clarke County's bag.  Al gave Earn props because now he is headlining.  But oops.  Clarke County's manager took the fall and Clarke made the flight.

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

About as much closure and "hope" we can get from this show. Ern needed that. There was a lot of showcase acting in that episode and everybody did well. Al on the plane was pretty damn solid, Darius getting "serious" and focusing at that Jewish spot, Earn baring himself for Darius, all good shit.

Reveal hidden contents

People on twitter were saying that Earn did that on purpose, I thought he probably just left it in his bag on accident after taking it out of Al's presence and then had to make a split-second decision at the airport. What y'all think? If he did do that on purpose it seems like the first time he's really taken something into his own hands and made some shit happen. But it also kinda seems far-fetched.

It wasn't intentional.

There were several scenes that were foreshadowing the outcome. At the school meeting there was a sign on the wall behind Ern that said "What's in your backpack?" and the sign in the background at the airport. Plus the conversation with Darius about learning by making mistakes when Al can't afford to have mistakes in his life.

The whole situation lead to Al's conversation about doing what needs to be done to survive. Ern had to make a moral choice on the fly and he chose to fuck over someone else to protect himself and Al. This goes back to the Middle School episode where young Ern and Al did the same thing with the fake FUBU shirt. Al realized everyone is going to be cut throat including Ern but Ern will do it to protect Al not screw him over.

Great episode, Silicon Valley would have ended it with Richard getting beat up by TSA and another Pied Piper failure.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

It wasn't intentional.

Hide contents

There were several scenes that were foreshadowing the outcome. At the school meeting there was a sign on the wall behind Ern that said "What's in your backpack?" and the sign in the background at the airport. Plus the conversation with Darius about learning by making mistakes when Al can't afford to have mistakes in his life.

The whole situation lead to Al's conversation about doing what needs to be done to survive. Ern had to make a moral choice on the fly and he chose to fuck over someone else to protect himself and Al. This goes back to the Middle School episode where young Ern and Al did the same thing with the fake FUBU shirt. Al realized everyone is going to be cut throat including Ern but Ern will do it to protect Al not screw him over.

Great episode, Silicon Valley would have ended it with Richard getting beat up by TSA and another Pied Piper failure.

Great parallel, didn't catch the similarities to last episode.

I wonder where they go from here? Does Earn ultimately decide to go his own way to try and spend more time with his kid, or do things with Paper Boy ramp up now that Earn has some peace of mind? I really don’t know.

Also, the literal Chekov’s Gun device had my stomach uneasy and my nerves bad the entire show, just waiting for the inevitable airport scene. I don’t know what I would have done there. F. That.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

"As you might imagine, Donald Glover is sort of the king of all media, and he just has had an incredibly complicated life. He's had personal things he's had to deal with, from injuries to other things I'd rather not say publicly that just have to do with not with his personal life but his extended family," Landgraf further explained of the delay. "So I think one of the things that is just a reality of television today is you have to wait. We have so many things now that don't cycle back on a regular basis ... From my standpoint, I wish for the fans as well as for us that we could get everything back on an annual basis but, again, you just have to make a decision about quantity over quality at a certain point — and we're just erring on the side of quality."

Edited by Seasick Sailor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Followers of the Ted Lasso Season 2 thread will notice a pattern that starts at post 7. 

All 3 main characters have blown up so large now that it has got to be difficult to be able to synch up their schedules. I'm ready for put upon Alfred in Europe. 

Yeah, that's gotta be a massive headache on scheduling.  No idea how much Zazie is in this season, but it's not like she's sitting around, doing nothing these days either.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Lulz.  Conversation between the gf and I when Vanessa and Darius are at that Amsterdam house.

Gf:  This is what our family did with Nanny.  I think she really just hung on to see everyone.

[minute later]

Me:  Y’all do that too? 

Just watched that scene.

image.gif.f75c8bbbc7c916f5fe71ead366065201.gif

Was awesome to see a US pop culture take on Zwarte Pete. 

My future ex-Wife and I were in Amsterdam in November 2003 and we walk smack dab into a Dutch Christmas parade with a bunch of people dressed as elves in black face.  It was fucking jarring in 2003 and was just a shoulder shrug tradition there.  It’s starting to finally get shut down as it should, but loved the “guy fell down the chimney” excuse.  

The Zwarte Petes are SinterKlaus’ Moor slaves that kidnap the naughty children in a bag and take them back to Spain. It’s fucking racist.  

The entire first episode felt like a nod to Jordan Peele. Then I read the real life story that it was based on. Damn. 

It didn't hit me till the wife and I looked up images of Zwarte Piet that the costume the venue manager wanted Al to wear was the same as what Zwarte Piet wears. 

And please tell me the "assisted suicide" suffocation bed is a real thing because I can't find a lot on it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I thought it was a fantastic episode and one meant to make a segment of the audience extremely uncomfortable. The ghost from the first episode made a repeat appearance. 

Shit, I'm the dude in the kitchen who has no skin in the episode, but I was getting uncomfortable for the first 15 minutes, then it started getting kinda funny. By the halfway point I felt like I kinda understood more of the metaphor and who's point of view this was being written from. Chappelle had a similar premise but the POV wasn't as focused as where Atlanta put it.