Help me camp with my kid

Hanrahan

13 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

I live in Houston and camped some when I was a boy (living in Dallas) but it’s been a few decades. I want to take my 11-year old camping/fishing for a weekend somewhere not too far from Houston. Any recs?

It's a further drive, but there are some really nice places near Broken Bow and/or Turner Falls in Oklahoma.  Love going up there.  Near Houston, as stated look at the state parks in E.Texas.  You might also look near the coasts.  Matagorda Island, for example.  Places like that.  

14 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

I live in Houston and camped some when I was a boy (living in Dallas) but it’s been a few decades. I want to take my 11-year old camping/fishing for a weekend somewhere not too far from Houston. Any recs?

I'm no thread policeman but there is a camping thread with lots of discussion on it if you don't get enough responses here.  Also, would probably help us if we knew when (what season) you plan to go?  And do you want a more primitive environment, or places with electricity/fresh water/decent  bath houses?  Those considerations will definitely affect my responses.

My wife and kids love camping because I do, it's been very rewarding for our family over the years.

20 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

If this will be your first time camping in a while, reserve a weekend campsite at Huntsville state park and its only an hour away.  It has a small lake and fishing pier that you should be able to catch some panfish or small bass using earthworms and most of the campsites have water and/or electricity and a close by bathhouse.  There are lots of trails around the lake for hikes and such.  Also, you won't need a fishing license at the state park if you are fishing too.

If you need gear, a cheap 4 person dome tent from Academy or Walmart will sleep 2 comfortably in decent weather.  Get an air mattress to sleep on with a comforter, blankets and sheets or buy a couple of cheap rectangular sleeping bags.  A small LED lantern and a couple of flashlights or headlamps will help out at night.

For cooking, either use carcoal and the grills that are usually at all the campsites or get a single burner butane stove.  The butane stoves are take a butane fuel cartridge but are better and more stable than the cheap 1 burner style that fits on top of a 1 lb green propane bottle.   Depending on your meals you probably don't need anything more than a skillet and a pot from home. Don't forget to bring firewood for a campfire and stuff for smore's.    

5cd27653-cb5d-42e7-8819-777406a7a00d_1.f

Ask away if you have further questions.  Between scout and our family camping I have probably stayed at most of the state parks withing 2 hours of Houston.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

yep, but get reservations. Don't wait until the last minute.

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Without a doubt, get reservations.

The really popular parks like Garner and Lost Maples book up months in advance for the popular times (any holidays/break from school, and all summer long).  So you don't really have any choice these days.  

For the less popular ones, agreed, you should still make reservations, because they can still fill quickly.

Also consider any Army Corps of Engineers parks that might be near your desired location.  They are usually smaller than state parks, but they're always clean and very well maintained.