2020 Fishing: Get out there and wet some hooks

Dances with Dachshunds

10 hours ago, troph said:

Good for you man. I’ve got 7-10 years and then I’m done and might do the same. Would take that break now but kids.

Ours are young enough to pull this off. It’ll either be exactly what our family needs or a complete shitshow. We’ll see.

obviously going to get after the flats but our realtors husband is a fisherman, so I’m really looking forward to going out with him and bringing home dinner.

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Ours are young enough to pull this off. It’ll either be exactly what our family needs or a complete shitshow. We’ll see.

obviously going to get after the flats but our realtors husband is a fisherman, so I’m really looking forward to going out with him and bringing home dinner.

so the whole fam is going? 

I really want to check out in a major way in 10 years.  hang out at lake travis, colorado and travel from those points often.  My gf and I are (were) traveling a lot - about once a month - when I didn't have my kids (divorce and custody sharing is a beautiful thing) but even then those trips are short US or Mexico/Central America trips and I have to work a lot on our trips.  life is short, if you have the means doing outlandish shit like what you are doing is exactly what we should be doing.

21 minutes ago, troph said:

so the whole fam is going? 

I really want to check out in a major way in 10 years.  hang out at lake travis, colorado and travel from those points often.  My gf and I are (were) traveling a lot - about once a month - when I didn't have my kids (divorce and custody sharing is a beautiful thing) but even then those trips are short US or Mexico/Central America trips and I have to work a lot on our trips.  life is short, if you have the means doing outlandish shit like what you are doing is exactly what we should be doing.

Amen. We lost our next door neighbor and dear friend unexpectedly in August, she was 42 and loved to travel the globe. Life is short. We should all fish more.

• Hook 'Em 1

Couple weeks ago my typical partner fished a tournament down there (I’m out of state) and it was when Delta (iirc) had the tides up like crazy. My big ass pad V ran thru places I haven’t dreamed about since I had my tower FlatsCat. The only way they could catch reds was pitching to them like bass, while they were cruising was is typically very dry land. Practice they ran all thru the super shallow POC areas, it was several feet high. Never once tagged bottom or even kicked up mud. At one point following reds, they realized they were several hundred feet up in an island we typically walk to reach the back lakes. Crazy. Would have been cool to feel like one of the technical skiff guys for a day.
a121361653933263ad989dddf6b43e44.jpg
e49ff0cab7c065e74f3ac388f0ba1eab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, davidg said:

LM Bass on a clip stringer.  My mom would have been very happy to see a haul like that.  A fillet off a 2 lb bass was her favorite fish.

Yep, fried them up as I always do in G-ma's old cast iron skillets.  Kids devour them.  We always try to make tacos, but they come in constantly raiding the finished pieces so it becomes a free for all!

• Hook 'Em 1

Does this qualify, as we had to "fish" his ass out of the water.  I can tell you, seeing him there in the water....well, it was a "WELP" moment for sure.  And the water, nice and chilly.  Stripped down to the skivvies, sucked in a few times, and took the polar-plunge.  Jesus, it was freezing.  

We tried chucking rocks to "float him" over like we've done with doves/ducks.  Nope.

Wind?  Nope

Too deep for waders to be of any help.  Terrified he's going to sink.

Deer water.JPEG

Deer water2.JPEG

Edited by BabaYaga

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Poached?  Wounded deer always go to water.

No, buddy made the shot with his bow.  We tracked at sunrise, he made it 400yds and just cartwheeled into the water (apparently, from the tracks on the bank).  But yes, they always go to water, but never seem them full in the water like this.  

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

No, buddy made the shot with his bow.  We tracked at sunrise, he made it 400yds and just cartwheeled into the water (apparently, from the tracks on the bank).  But yes, they always go to water, but never seem them full in the water like this.  

he, and by he i mean the deer, wanted to accept jesus as his savior and do a self baptism before he died. good for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oh wow - you were way over there by Mesquite.  I was thinking maybe you went to the backside of Copano or something, that's the only place I knew of any "creeks". 

yea, I launched at Goose Island. Man that run out of St Charles Bay puckers my ass. Especially in the morning when the sun is glaring off the water. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

yea, I launched at Goose Island. Man that run out of St Charles Bay puckers my ass. Especially in the morning when the sun is glaring off the water. 

My late FIL turned too soon once going out (I wasn't with him) and ended up stuck on the oyster reef.  He called a tow boat, and of course the tow boat came from the other side of the reef, and pulled him across it.  :)  He was pissed and the boat was a mess.  

36 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My late FIL turned too soon once going out (I wasn't with him) and ended up stuck on the oyster reef.  He called a tow boat, and of course the tow boat came from the other side of the reef, and pulled him across it.  :)  He was pissed and the boat was a mess.  

My buddy grounded his skiff last year real early in the morning. We hopped out, picked up the bow and turned it around, then pushed it back to deeper water like a blocking sled. Gotta love a skiff. 

53 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Between Vinson's Slough and Fence Lake. 

I've walked from the south shoreline to Fence across that shallow flat probably 100 times in my life.  I've only taken the boat 5-7 times in the last 15 years.   Good fishing and hunting in that slough.  Deep, cold water in the summer. 

I was putting in at Goose Island with a buddy one morning when it was really foggy, like pea soup shit. This boat full of bros taking out Daddy’s bombjack Shallow Sport had put in before us and were blaring loud music and drinking already at 7am as they tore ass away from the dock. We got done loading up and caught up to them a few minutes later pretty much high centered on that oyster reef. It had to of hurt both them and the boat pretty good. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

so how'd you do?

Managed 5 keeper trout - probably could have fished harder but there was a lot of water - tides are high there now.  A lot of the peninsula has disappeared over the last couple of storms and there's a new channel starting from the lake to the bay, so  kinda had to relearn things.  Of course when I pulled up, a couple of trumpkins had already staked out the best spot.  At least they weren't obnoxious the whole time, other than the bling.

spacer.png

It's a gorgeous place to fish, when the water is clear like it was.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are thousands, I mean hundreds of thousands of sandhill cranes that fly in and out of the marshes between here and Matagorda Island - they were deafening when they flew in at night and out again in the morning.  Also at 3am when the coyotes stirred them up.  You can see some in the distance in this pic.

spacer.png

Overall had a great time - didn't get skunked, the mosquitoes weren't bad at all, and it was fantastic to get down to the coast after almost a year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2