Furnace smells - am I gonna wake up dead?

I've done a bit of googling and I don't think so but I figured I would ask for any expertise because I don't care if I kick it but I would not want my kids or wife to suffer the same fate. 

Disclaimer if you're not familiar with my work - I live in a cold, cold place so yes we're still running the furnace. We also have basements here. 

I have a furnace room in my basement adjacent to my entertainment area. I am chilling on the couch, wife is down here yapping about something and I heard something faintly that sounded like some clicking or something in the furnace room. Told her to shut her pie hole and opened the door to investigate. Immediate odor. Definitely coming from furnace. NOT sulfur/egg like. Not really gaseous. More like electronic/metallic I think? 

I went upstairs to find the carbon monoxide detector even though I know that wouldn't smell. I noticed in my daughter's room near the floor vent I caught a whiff of the same smell. My wife did as well. Now I'm paranoid. 

I tested the furnace. Had the wife fire it back up. Didn't smell anything more pronounced though the odor permeated the furnace room a bit still. Got the CO2 detector tested in the basement and in the hallway upstairs and it's reading zero. I left a vm with our furnace guy and shut the furnace off for the night. Any concern here?

Smoke your nails by an open window, for now  

Youre checking for "smells" with a CO2 detector and getting negative results but then CO2 is odorless?

When is the last time your HVAC system was serviced?   Now that we are headed to summer you may be using the AC soon. Have a HVAC service company come check it all at once. Need it done anyway. 

In my defense, the issue ended up being above and beyond the normal “you’re a guy; you should know how to fix this”.  The    entire burner had to be replaced as it couldn’t hold a flame.

If you are talking about the burner on a furnace for an hvac, that’s pretty straightforward. Fuck. You’re a guy, you should know how to fix that.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

If you are talking about the burner on a furnace for an hvac, that’s pretty straightforward. Fuck. You’re a guy, you should know how to fix that.

Gas hot water heater.  I don't care how confident I am.  I'm not dicking around with gas.