What do you order at Whataburger?

Topper13

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

If you haven’t downloaded their app, I suggest it. I always get pretty good BOGO burger deals OR buy med fries med drink and get a burger free seems like once a month

Yeah right now it’s a free patty melt when you buy fries and a drink.  Gonna pull the trigger this weekend.

17 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

If you haven’t downloaded their app, I suggest it. I always get pretty good BOGO burger deals OR buy med fries med drink and get a burger free seems like once a month

Yep.  Between that and getting it curbside within 5 minutes of me pulling into the parking lot, I've never had a cold burger or fries.  The only complaint is I'll have watered down tea with very little ice in it when I get curbside.  But I usually have a beer in tow anyhow, so the tradeoff for hot and perfect food is more than worth it.  

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 2:15 PM, Mo Horn said:

In San Angelo for a high school graduation for a nephew. Whataburger here still has the  double green chili burger. Added bacon. Delicious. 

All whataburgers west of a north/south line centered on clyde have it year round. 

Waited almost 20 minutes in line for 4 shakes last night. Little T’Boo got the GW hit in his baseball game so we decided to take them for a treat. Line was short but I had reservations on not using the app.

I knew we made a mistake based on the fingernails hanging out of the driver’s side window as we pulled up behind the car in front of us. The multiple bags came in and out of that car at least 3x. Why they didn’t ask her to pull forward so they could sort it out and not keep the now 10 cars behind them waiting baffled me.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Whataburger has to do something about their drive through lines.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

They won't. Shitty drive through experience is part of their culture. 

If you aren't using the app, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Exactly.  The app is the solution to the shitty drive-thru experience.

However, for the first time in a year, a couple weeks ago they totally screwed up my order even when using the app.  They'd been batting 1.000 so I didn't even bother to check the food until I got home.  Big mistake.  Huge.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Whataburger has to do something about their drive through lines.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

What do you expect at 3 AM?

4 hours ago, Deej said:

It's still better than the drive thru, but they don't start your order until you check in at my local joint.  I can place an order wait an hour to go to collect and still be waiting 10 minutes for them to make my food.  Not sure if it's like that everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's still better than the drive thru, but they don't start your order until you check in at my local joint.  I can place an order wait an hour to go to collect and still be waiting 10 minutes for them to make my food.  Not sure if it's like that everywhere.

it’s not. that’s absurd. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a bunch of Sonic talk on the last page, so I'll post this Startle-gram article here too. 

Is Texas the last outpost of mustard?

An Oklahoma-based drive-in chain has switched its primary burger toppings to ketchup-and-mayo, shifting mustard to a special-order option after 70 years.

That’s not the only change. Sonic Drive-In has completely updated the old-time drive-in burger, offering thicker beef patties cooked differently, a new seasoning and crisper, fresh pickles with chopped lettuce.

Sonic also added a burger with special “crave” sauce, offering more of a kick than those other special sauces on Illinois-based McDonald’s Big Mac or the “secret sauce” at California-based Jack in the Box.

But that wasn’t the news that shook Texas burger lovers.

In a state where mustard-loyal Whataburger has more Facebook followers than Gov. Greg Abbott, and where out-of-state chains routinely offer a special “Texas homestyle burger” with mustard, Sonic posted a warning on each order board:

“NEW Sonic Cheeseburgers Now served with KETCHUP & MAYO”

It was chef Scott Uehlein’s idea. He downplays any societal significance to the now-sprawling chain’s switch away from a Southwestern favorite to a more national flavor for its 3,500-plus locations in 42 states.

“If we didn’t have the flexibility of the [smartphone] app ... we might not have changed,” he said by phone.

More and more customers every day order online or via the app instead of shouting into a loudspeaker. They can check off the exact options.

Texas has “always been a mustard market,” but other states have not, he said.

Sonic heavily tested the new burgers, made with Heinz ketchup and mayo, and diners liked the sweet-and-savory option, he said.

“Is this a changing of America’s palate? Maybe it is,” he said.

Other companies weren’t quite so sure.

“Mustard continues to be a fan favorite at Dairy Queens in Texas,” was the email message from Carolyn Alvey, speaking for Texas Dairy Queen.

Look, this space is not normally devoted to fast-food discussions.

But this change was interesting.

The new toppings don’t always work. A chili burger still needs mustard. So does a jalapeno cheeseburger.

But the new Sonic effort is reminiscent of better burgers at old-time soda fountains, and the “crave” burger has the same zest as the legendary No. 5 at Keller’s Drive-In in Dallas, ranked one of the nation’s best drive-ins.

“We really set out to build a best-in-class burger,” Uehlein said.

Sonic needed something. The chain, now owned by Georgia-based Inspire Brands along with Arby’s and Buffalo Wild Wings, always seemed like a polished-up version of iconic Dairy Queen, but with less flavor.

The chain’s new burgers are strikingly different from others’. Even on a mustard burger, the fresh pickles taste like an upgrade.

”It was time for guests to get a real burger in a fast-food restaurant,” Uehlein said.

His favorite childhood burger was the original Whopper, before Burger King aged and sales declined.

The original Whopper was made with ketchup-and-mayo.

Texans still ordered mustard.

02_sonic

03_sonic

The two Whataburgers near my house both suck.  This was not the case a few years ago.  Makes me sad.  If I want a burger these days I do Shady’s or Haystack.  It’s a little more expensive, but they consistently deliver a quality product.

Since you are in my area try Rodeo Goat. I’d put them ahead of Shady’s.
Haystack is good but the buns need help. They can’t support the burger.
  • Like 1

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Since you are in my area try Rodeo Goat. I’d put them ahead of Shady’s.
Haystack is good but the buns need help. They can’t support the burger.

It’s good, but I am pretty lazy, and it’s a bit further away.  I can walk to Haystack, so they normally win.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

There's a bunch of Sonic talk on the last page, so I'll post this Startle-gram article here too. 

02_sonic

03_sonic

An Oklahoma-based drive-in chain has switched its primary burger toppings to ketchup-and-mayo, shifting mustard to a special-order option after 70 years.

spacer.png

Edited by Dutch

On 4/17/2021 at 4:25 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not sure what changed, but Sonic burgers have gotten much better. I remember choking down Brown Bag Special burgers in college. Now they're pretty darned solid. 

The onion rings at Sonic haven't gotten any better and don't need to.     They're the best. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

The onion rings at Sonic haven't gotten any better and don't need to.     They're the best. 

Disagree way too much sugar in the batter, every thing battered and fried at sonic tastes like they added sugar to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...