What do you order at Whataburger?

Topper13

I sent them a screed about how they are fucking up the food, with various examples. Here is how they responded:

“We are always excited to hear from our fans! We have forwarded your suggestion to our
Whataburger Real Estate team to research the options available against our
growth strategy for the upcoming planning cycle.

In the meantime, we’re proud to offer exceptional food and service at our more than 830 locations
across 10+ states. Whataburger's signature sauces, grocery products and popular retail items are
also available for purchase on Whataburger.com.

We hope our fans will think of us the next time they’re road-tripping or shopping online.

Whataburger Customer Care Team
300 Concord Plaza Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78216”

Fuck em. Done.

I paid  $9 for a double meat and a drink at the Whataburger on San Felipe. Added grilled jalapeños and onions. They messed up my order a little bit, but I quickly fixed it. It pissed me off, but it still crushed. 

I’ll chalk it up to a new cashier, and say it’s a good location. 

That said, I think Southwell’s has passed them. Similar prices, similar number of locations in my part of town, and always consistent. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

What's funny about this, is that it is widely accepted that deep dish pizza was created and first sold by native Texan and all-american offensive lineman for the University of Texas Longhorns, Ike Sewell. 

Yeah but he was ashamed enough to move out of Texas before debuting his invention.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:53 PM, UncleBuck said:

What's funny about this, is that it is widely accepted that deep dish pizza was created and first sold by native Texan and all-american offensive lineman for the University of Texas Longhorns, Ike Sewell. 

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yeah but he was ashamed enough to move out of Texas before debuting his invention.

That’s right, Chicago. Take your casserole and GTFO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

First 'real' job I ever had.  At the time Whataburger made every effort to make great burgers and meh fries.  I smelled like pickles my freshman and sophomore years.

Not sure what the Chicago dirtbags have done to the place, but my double meat double cheese Whataburger with cheese and japs ain't right anymore.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Well, that was a first. Ordered a patty melt with grilled jalapeños, unwrapped it, and the grilled jalapeños were on the outside of the sandwich. 

Oh, and they forgot to put ketchup in the bag. 

I'm glad (nor not?) to hear that it's not only my local Whataburger that screws things up. 

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Well, that was a first. Ordered a patty melt with grilled jalapeños, unwrapped it, and the grilled jalapeños were on the outside of the sandwich. 

Oh, and they forgot to put ketchup in the bag. 

Did you say you wanted them inside? 

• Haha 1

as i nearly always have a coupon for #1 when purchasing fry and drink, i have the cashier add cheese and a patty.  i once heard the grill yell up to the cashier "does he want the meat on the side?"

Maybe he thought you had your dog with you. Or we’re eating only partly keto.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, Brisketexan said:

I sent in my short treatise as an online complaint: Summary: you bought a Texas institution because it was beloved and successful.  All you had to do was not fuck it up.  And all you are doing is fucking it up.  Fire whatever egghead "taste consultant" you have engaged, and just be fucking Whataburger.  Special points were made about the jalapeno cheddar biscuit, and their yankee asses not knowing a good thing from a hole in the ground.

I am confident I was yelling into the void, but I yelled nonetheless.

I mean, I have a kid coming home this weekend after almost a year out of the country.  He's been pining for Whataburger.....what am I gonna tell him?

cc172c05-df46-4d4f-bcbc-246830eb979b_tex

This was mine…

The “southernization” of Whataburger by the new Chicago folks is an abomination.  Texas isn’t “The South”, it’s Texas.   The jalapeño cheddar biscuit, the chicken fajita, the slaw on burgers… this isn’t Georgia.   I’ve been an ardent and frequent guest for 25 years.   Not sure how much more I’ll allocate or waste my money for a faux “Southern” experience.   It’s like watching a terrible Lifetime movie about some Texas town with all the actors being from New York.    Get your crap together, or we will bankrupt you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

This was mine…

The “southernization” of Whataburger by the new Chicago folks is an abomination.  Texas isn’t “The South”, it’s Texas.   The jalapeño cheddar biscuit, the chicken fajita, the slaw on burgers… this isn’t Georgia.   I’ve been an ardent and frequent guest for 25 years.   Not sure how much more I’ll allocate or waste my money for a faux “Southern” experience.   It’s like watching a terrible Lifetime movie about some Texas town with all the actors being from New York.    Get your crap together, or we will bankrupt you.

Have you gotten a cheerful AI response yet from those Chicago bastards. That’s all I get. Anyway it’s somewhat comical as it responds to each response with increasing robotic confusion.

If they hadn’t shuttered the Carls Jr near me I would maybe have moved my burger loyalty.

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Have you gotten a cheerful AI response yet from those Chicago bastards. That’s all I get. Anyway it’s somewhat comical as it responds to each response with increasing robotic confusion.

If they hadn’t shuttered the Carls Jr near me I would maybe have moved my burger loyalty.

I’ll just go back to my locally owned haunts in and around Waco.  Capt Billy Whizzbangs, Dubl-R, Dave’s Burger Barn, Cupp’s, etc.  get a better, fresher burger than WB for roughly the same price and support friends/clients in the process.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

as i nearly always have a coupon for #1 when purchasing fry and drink, i have the cashier add cheese and a patty.  i once heard the grill yell up to the cashier "does he want the meat on the side?"

I can kinda get that one, with all of the low-carbing and stuff. 

Back 12+ years ago when we'd close down the bars then hit Whataburger, I'd order what I called a "Whatachow." Just a Whatachicken with a beef patty on it, hold the tomato (Ch: chicken; ow: cow; Ch + ow = Chow). Sometimes they'd ask me if it needed to be on the side. But most of the time, they'd actually get it right. They can't even get a basic order right these days. 

On 5/23/2022 at 10:51 AM, Texzilla58 said:

These fuckers in Chicago have no clue about the Texas libertarianism of Whataburger dining choices. No place is as dogmatic about food than Chicago. They get all bent if you just leave off celery salt off a fucking hot dog. Sorry I don’t want a tomato on my fucking hot dog.

These fuckers will be down to ketchup as the only condiment in a year. And no subs on your burger. And absolutely no invented dishes like a grilled cheese.

On 5/23/2022 at 4:17 PM, Texzilla58 said:

That neon green relish they eat. And they’ll add a fried carp sandwich soon. No coke, Pepsi. I predict no Dr Pepper by 2024.

Your complaints about Whataburger are not invalid. But your assumptions regarding Chicago food are. They will shoot you in the face if you put ketchup on a hot dog. Fried fish sandwiches aren't a thing in Chicago. That's Baltimore. And nowhere serves pepsi. But otherwise, rage on. 

Last time I went they made me a grilled cheese. But that was probably a month ago. 

31 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

There is a Mayfield DQ right next the the Whataburger in Georgetown.

It is way better than Whataburger and it is not even close.

Last couple of times I've gotten fast food for myself I've gotten DQ and have been mostly impressed. The fries have been fresh and hot. The burgers have been decent. It's outperformed our whataburger for sure. 

Edited by UncleBuck

I'm just as pissed as everyone else about the things that have disappeared, but I don't necessarily blame Chicago for the poor quality of current items. I think that's more of a reflection of current times where a lot of food places struggle with getting decent and competent help. Pay has increased, but it's still one of the lowest paying jobs, and I just think the staff they can get aren't really motivated to make top quality food. I've had some outstanding things, and some that have just sucked, and that's at the same Whataburger. Just on different days. It all has to do with who is managing, cooking, and how busy they are. I've noticed a lot of food places are totally hit and miss these days. Keep writing letters, but not sure they will help with the bigger issue. And as someone who hasn't lived in Whataburger country since 1998, and ecstatic that we finally have them in the KC area, I appreciate just being able to get one whenever I want these days. So I'm probably not a fair judge. 

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm just as pissed as everyone else about the things that have disappeared, but I don't necessarily blame Chicago for the poor quality of current items. I think that's more of a reflection of current times where a lot of food places struggle with getting decent and competent help. Pay has increased, but it's still one of the lowest paying jobs, and I just think the staff they can get aren't really motivated to make top quality food. I've had some outstanding things, and some that have just sucked, and that's at the same Whataburger. Just on different days. It all has to do with who is managing, cooking, and how busy they are. I've noticed a lot of food places are totally hit and miss these days. Keep writing letters, but not sure they will help with the bigger issue. And as someone who hasn't lived in Whataburger country since 1998, and ecstatic that we finally have them in the KC area, I appreciate just being able to get one whenever I want these days. So I'm probably not a fair judge. 

That's not a terrible point, but at the same time my local Dairy Queen, with far fewer employees, can put out better quality than Whataburger in nearly the same amount of time. It was the opposite over 5 years back. AND if I do wait longer, which will happen when they're really busy, at least my food will be fresh and I am not at risk of having a piece of fry jab through the top of my mouth. 

Edited by UncleBuck

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Last couple of times I've gotten fast food for myself I've gotten DQ and have been mostly impressed. The fries have been fresh and hot. The burgers have been decent. It's outperformed our whataburger for sure. 

I can't not order steak fingers with extra toast and gravy when I go to DQ. I can't remember having a DQ burger. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

I can't not order steak fingers with extra toast and gravy when I go to DQ. I can't remember having a DQ burger. 

My go to (if I'm being a fat piece of shit) is the 4pc steak finger basket with a taco for $.99.

There's a DQ next door to a Conan's on Stassney. You'd do well down here. 

DQ is a solid choice.  Their crispy tacos are actually a benchmark of the category -- very well done.  Their burgers are solid, and of course, the steak fingers.  I don't frequent them in Austin if i have the choice, because I don't want to support the Mayfield family, but in general -- especially when traveling through Texas -- a great choice.

DQ is a solid choice.  Their crispy tacos are actually a benchmark of the category -- very well done.  Their burgers are solid, and of course, the steak fingers.  I don't frequent them in Austin if i have the choice, because I don't want to support the Mayfield family, but in general -- especially when traveling through Texas -- a great choice.

What is the story with the Mayfield family?

I think the short staffing is an excuse. If we can operate with 6 folks instead of 10, we save x $. Put a “we’re hiring” banner up and just apologize to folks. If the line stays long. I talk to a lot of folks who want a $15/hr job at grocery stores or fast food and they don’t get calls back. They can certainly do the jobs. The lines at grocers are nuts at some stores around here.

Your complaints about Whataburger are not invalid. But your assumptions regarding Chicago food are. They will shoot you in the face if you put ketchup on a hot dog. Fried fish sandwiches aren't a thing in Chicago. That's Baltimore. And nowhere serves pepsi. But otherwise, rage on. 
Last time I went they made me a grilled cheese. But that was probably a month ago. 

Who said anything about ketchup on a hot dog? The fully dressed “Chicago” dog is yellow mustard, neon green relish, chopped onion, tomato slices, a dill pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt on a poppy seed roll. I get mine without tomato or the pickle spear.

I was taken to a joint before a White Sox game by a lifelong Chicagoan for a fried carp sandwich. It’s more a rural Illinois/Iowa thing. It was like fried fishy mud.

“No Coke, Pepsi”. Guess you never went to the Billy Goat Tavern. Does “Cheezeborger cheezeborger! No fries cheeps! No Coke Pepsi” not ring a bell?
SNL Chicago classic from Belushi and Ackroyd.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Who said anything about ketchup on a hot dog? The fully dressed “Chicago” dog is yellow mustard, neon green relish, chopped onion, tomato slices, a dill pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt on a poppy seed roll. I get mine without tomato or the pickle spear.

I was taken to a joint before a White Sox game by a lifelong Chicagoan for a fried carp sandwich. It’s more a rural Illinois/Iowa thing. It was like fried fishy mud.

“No Coke, Pepsi”. Guess you never went to the Billy Goat Tavern. Does “Cheezeborger cheezeborger! No fries cheeps! No Coke Pepsi” not ring a bell?
SNL Chicago classic from Belushi and Ackroyd.

I was in Billy Goat Tavern a week ago tomorrow on a trip to Chicago with my boy to see some Cubs games.  They do not serve Pepsi, they serve Coke.  The SNL skit intentionally reversed it.  

Olympia Café[edit]

Main article: Olympia Café

Another sign reads: "Cheezborger, Cheezborger, Cheezborger. No Pepsi. Coke," These words, with Pepsi and Coke in reverse order, were originally popularized by John Belushi in "Olympia Cafe," an early Saturday Night Live sketch that was inspired by the tavern.[7] Bill Murray and sketch writer (and bit player) Don Novello were regulars at the Billy Goat; Belushi and Murray were natives of the Chicago area, and Novello had moved to Chicago in the 1960s.

5 hours ago, Deej said:

I think my next one will be.  Need to scope out which location looks the least wretched or whether I need to drive a few miles more for the obvious level up location just outside of town.

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think the short staffing is an excuse. If we can operate with 6 folks instead of 10, we save x $. Put a “we’re hiring” banner up and just apologize to folks. If the line stays long. I talk to a lot of folks who want a $15/hr job at grocery stores or fast food and they don’t get calls back. They can certainly do the jobs. The lines at grocers are nuts at some stores around here.

Realization GIFs | Tenor

I didn't even consider this.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Why ?

The reason all of their DQ's are so high quality is because they pay well and treat their employees very well.

I have never read a bad word about them.

Please elaborate.

13 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Why ?

The reason all of their DQ's are so high quality is because they pay well and treat their employees very well.

I have never read a bad word about them.

Please elaborate.

They share a surname with Baker?

Inspired, I hit up DQ today and wasn't disappointed.  Hungerbuster w/ Cheese Combo for under $10 was solid.  Had my food within minutes.  Order was right.  Fries were hot.  And the lady at the drive thru may have been the friendliest I have encountered.

/goes to read wikipedia for DQ.  Holy shit.  It originated as an Illinois chain.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, futureman said:

DQ is good. belt busters slam and go hard. jalitos ranch belt buster very solid. 

Outside of what I already mentioned, I'd put the patty at least close to WB.  Bun was very solid.  Still could smell it after I finished the burger.  Veggies were fresh. 

A buddy of mine went to Braum's today.  Said the bacon burger/fries slammed and he spent a buck less than I did at DQ.  In this part of the state, I'm starting to appreciate the alternatives.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1