Frasier

Vic Mackey

i mean JLD won like 6 or 7 Emmys in her post-Seinfeld roles, so arguably her career got even better...

butI yeah, i can't recall anything MR did other than Curb (of course he took the huge PR hit) and i can really only think of a handful of movies JA was in.

but in terms of character spinoffs Frasier has to be at the top. 

• Like 1

Caught the one where Martin plans to work on Christmas Day. That’s the same one where Roz has a crush on Santa. There’s also the one where an older Freddie comes to visit and doesn’t want to spend time with Frasier. He’s in a goth phase. Also, Nikes tries to commit a rebellious act and has Roz hook him up with a pot brownie. But Martin eats it at the cafe while waiting for Niles to show up. Martin replaces it with a straight brownie from the cafe which Niles eats. Niles thinks he’s stoned while Martin actually is. That one’s not very Christmas-y.

I was wrong about the episode with the office stripper in the Santa suit. That’s the same episode with the Outlaw Laser Robo-Geek. The stripper’s name is Candy Cane and is uncredited. These are the best pics I could find:

DD36DE96-B24D-455B-8391-08EE2D60FABD.png.d7cf10f9c6fd93fcf7fc80d01b8991fc.png

D93976E2-0F47-4839-9B2C-21DF4F0815A9.jpeg.097f5ad94c20c8c1adc2d400b4fe33a4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 6:01 PM, Deej said:

Nobody thought spinning Frasier off from Cheers would work.

Obviously somebody did or it never would’ve been made. Frasier was one of my favorite characters on Cheers and I was looking forward to the spinoff. I watched it from the very first episode. He was the only character who could’ve worked in his own show. Unless you think city councilman Woody Boyd would’ve worked as a premise.

I don’t see how this reboot can work and I’m not at all interested in watching it. Frasier is too old. Kelsey Grammer is too old. Frasier the show was built on the problems he faced in his work, home, and romantic lives. He should be retired by now. His dad is gone, Niles and Daphne should be living happily ever after an that’s not entertaining. Who cares what’s happening with Frederick?

The show ended with Frasier heading off to Chicago to pursue Charlotte. We wanted things to finally work out for him. I assume Frasier is single again so either that relationship failed too or Charlotte died. Either way I’m not interested in grandpa Frasier’s dating life. There’s just no way this won’t suck.

What I meant was not a lot of people really thought spinning Frasier off would turn into a show that ran just as long and had anywhere close to the popularity. Figured it would go for a few seasons and fizzle out. Sure we looked forward to it because Cheers was gone, but I doubt many thought it would be as successful as it ended up being.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Deej said:

All the reviews seem to agree it hits its stride by the third episode and is better than expected. We will see. He's back in Boston. Maybe we'll get some Cheers cameos?

The bar in the show is Mahoney's, so a nice nod to John Mahoney. 

Speaking of bars and Frasier's Dad.  I often wondered why Frasier didn't recognize his own father inside Cheer's.  And why everybody else from Cheer's that visited Frasier in Seattle didn't see his dad and think, "Hey, where do I know you from?"  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Deej said:

All the reviews seem to agree it hits its stride by the third episode and is better than expected. We will see. He's back in Boston. Maybe we'll get some Cheers cameos?

The bar in the show is Mahoney's, so a nice nod to John Mahoney. 

I hope they bring Norm back.  “It’s a dog eat-dog-world, Sammy, and I’m wearing Milk Bone underwear!”

I got through most of the first episode before work interrupted me.  I stopped right when we learn Frederick is gay, and that Frasier always smells really good.

I didn't chuckle or even smile so far, so I'm hoping it gets better.

Frasier was one of the best sitcoms ever made.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Of course he's gay. His dad and uncle were. 

Yeah I read somewhere the Frasier writers wanted to make Niles and Fraiser a gay couple, but they thought bickering brothers would be better received. Given the times, I’d agree. 

The reboot is ok, but it looks they shot with a Hulu show budget. NBC should have crawled through glass to pick this up. 

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah I read somewhere the Frasier writers wanted to make Niles and Fraiser a gay couple, but they thought bickering brothers would be better received. Given the times, I’d agree. 

Sort of. Frasier was already established as straight so that wouldn't have worked. I think they took elements of what would become Will and Grace and used it for Frasier, but made them straight brothers instead of gay. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Sort of. Frasier was already established as straight so that wouldn't have worked. I think they took elements of what would become Will and Grace and used it for Frasier, but made them straight brothers instead of gay. 

Yeah I think they had an outline of a show. A snarky gay couple. Then Kelsey Grammar gets involved and it evolves a Cheers/Fraser spin off with snarky brothers. 

I guess Paramount spent all their money with Taylor Sheridan. The reboot felt and looked like Frasier dropping in on an episode of How I Met Your Father. All apologies to CBS/Paramount, NBC shows look better. Even AP Bio with a shoe string budget looks like it’s actually taking place in a school. 

As mentioned upthread, it’s supposed to get better in Episode 3. I’ll stick with  it. Frasier didn’t hit its stride until the second season. 

20 hours ago, RPM said:

You dipsticks are acting like the original had massive elaborate sets. Did you not watch the show? They had 3 basic sets, living room, studio and coffee shop with an occasional 4th for locations.

True, but those sets looked like they belonged on a Hollywood sound stage, not a high school one act play.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 10:28 PM, veritas aequitas said:

Other than Frasier this seems to have a really cheap look and feel of a low budget crap show. Frasier is still a great character done really well but the rest just not that great.

My take away as well although the episode with the two blind dates was very solid.