Tell me about Charleston

C-Man

Here again this weekend for my wife's and my fifth wedding anniversary. Walking across the street to FIG in about 15 mins. Can't wait.

High Water Fest tomorrow and Sunday. Delta Spirit, Local Natives, Bahamas, Modest Mouse, CAAMP and My Morning Jacket back to back. Wow!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Here again this weekend for my wife's and my fifth wedding anniversary. Walking across the street to FIG in about 15 mins. Can't wait.

High Water Fest tomorrow and Sunday. Delta Spirit, Local Natives, Bahamas, Modest Mouse, CAAMP and My Morning Jacket back to back. Wow!!!!

Have fun.  I’ll be there in a couple of weeks to try and lockdown the housing situation.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wrapping up a five day trip so here is my $.02. 
We stayed at Beach Club resort in Mt. Pleasant (just across bridge from Charleston) - call it a $10-$15 Uber ride. 

We ate  at: Lenoir, Church & Union (brunch), Grace & Grit,  Coleman Public House,  Harken Cafe, Metto Cafe

Basically a split between Mt. Pleasant places and Charleston ones. All were good. Breakfast at Harken probably my favorite. 
All the food overall at various places I would say good not great. 
(I’m traveling with kids so we didn’t go super upscale). 

Things we did that were fun:

Deep sea fishing- great time and kids had a blast

Charleston Battery game-walkable from hotel, cool vibe, good beers

General Charleston walkabout/shopping

We did a carriage tour and it was just ok. 

All in all cool city and good family vacation spot (my kids 12 & 15, so I’m not dicking around with strollers etc - so be your own judge if you’ve small kids)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, SuperSport said:

Babymoon next month, staying at the Renaissance Historic District for a quick weekend. Any updates on the restaurant recommendations in this thread? Trying to stay ahead of reservations since I'm sure everywhere will be crazy packed...

Raw 167 on King Street is fucking incredible. This is the first time for us in the new location. The original spot is tiny and is now sushi only. Scallops po-boy might be the best sandwich I've ever eaten in my life. FIG was incredibly good -- lived up to the hype. We had Sunday Brunch at SNOB and it was very good. It's one of our local friend's favorite places to eat. I didn't dig the Brunch setup as much as my wife did. Try and do a dinner there if you go. We also hit Leon's Oyster House on Saturday afternoon on our way to High Water and it never disappoints. (But seriously, do FIG and Raw 167.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Leon’s gets a visit every time I’m there for more than 2 days.  Fig is great, but a tough reservation to get.  Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit is a good choice for a quick breakfast.  Lewis BBQ is really fucking good, but I generally don’t recommend it to Texans because most have outstanding bbq within a reasonable driving distance of their home.  He’s an Aaron Franklin apprentice and it would be a top 50 place in Texas.  It’s a godsend in SC as it’s probably the best brisket anywhere east of Houston.

If you want to venture out a little bit, Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s Island is really good, as is the burger at Poe’s Tavern.  Life moves a little slower there, despite the fact that you are a mile or two away from the historic district as the crow flies.  The Shem Creek area of Mt. Pleasant is a great place to grab a drink if you’re looking for a somewhat rowdy happy hour.  The individual bars/restaurants are all basically the same, and it’s generally a fun area to spend a couple of hours.

Bowens Island is a unique low country experience.  It’s right on the marsh about 2/3 of the way to Folly Beach, and they have all you can eat oysters.  They also do the typical seafood shack fried things, but the reason you go there is for the oysters.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Leon’s gets a visit every time I’m there for more than 2 days.  Fig is great, but a tough reservation to get.  Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit is a good choice for a quick breakfast.  Lewis BBQ is really fucking good, but I generally don’t recommend it to Texans because most have outstanding bbq within a reasonable driving distance of their home.  He’s an Aaron Franklin apprentice and it would be a top 50 place in Texas.  It’s a godsend in SC as it’s probably the best brisket anywhere east of Houston.

If you want to venture out a little bit, Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s Island is really good, as is the burger at Poe’s Tavern.  Life moves a little slower there, despite the fact that you are a mile or two away from the historic district as the crow flies.  The Shem Creek area of Mt. Pleasant is a great place to grab a drink if you’re looking for a somewhat rowdy happy hour.  The individual bars/restaurants are all basically the same, and it’s generally a fun area to spend a couple of hours.

Bowens Island is a unique low country experience.  It’s right on the marsh about 2/3 of the way to Folly Beach, and they have all you can eat oysters.  They also do the typical seafood shack fried things, but the reason you go there is for the oysters.

This was our third trip to Charleston and the first time we didn't hit Lewis. It's great. It might be Top 10 if it was in Texas -- it's that good.

Don't forget to have drinks out back at The Blind Tiger. I fucking love that bar.

Putting Bowen's Island on the list for next year. Sounds awesome.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

This was our third trip to Charleston and the first time we didn't hit Lewis. It's great. It might be Top 10 if it was in Texas -- it's that good.

Don't forget to have drinks out back at The Blind Tiger. I fucking love that bar.

Putting Bowen's Island on the list for next year. Sounds awesome.

First time I had Lewis was leftovers from the night before.  I missed my flight because I left my wallet on the kitchen counter and didn’t realize it until I was going through security at DFW.  Wife went on without me and I grabbed the first flight out the next morning.  That was a fucking expensive mistake.  Anyhow, I was starving when I finally arrived and the MIL, who lives in the Florida panhandle, told me they had the best bbq she had ever eaten last night, and the leftovers were in the fridge.  I was skeptical until I popped the lid on that container.  Expecting pulled pork, what I saw were perfect slices of brisket.  And the brisket was what was leftover, because folks in that part of the country go for pork first.

Fair warning, Bowens Island is a shack.   A shack that serves great food with a great view, but when you walk in the door they hand you an oyster knife and a towel.  You shuck them yourself.  Just putting that out there if some of you have wives whose sensibilities would be offended by such a thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Charleston area. First time there and really like it. 

Second the Obstinate Daughter recommendation. It’s on Sullivan’s Island and I thought was great. In mount pleasant is a pizza place called Coastal Crust. Everyone in our group really enjoyed their pizza. Cool outdoor area too. 

Upset that we didn’t go to Lewis. I had it on the list but some couple claiming to be from TX convinced the group to go to Poogan’s Smokehouse saying it was the “closest thing to home”and was about a one minute walk from where we we were at the time so we went there. Meh. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok, headed there with 7 and 12 year old for 2 days (part of long road trip) and would appreciate advice.

1)   Mt Pleasant or Charleston hotel?  Don't need to be in cool mix since I have two heavy anchors in tow that prevent actual adult fun.

2)  Already wrote down various restaurants to choose from out of this thread so appreciate it all.  Any final comments on family friendly places?  We go to bars and stuff with them...but tend to bail before cool people and/or crowd gets there.  Can I go eat at like 5 p.m. at a place like Husk with them or is it too cool a spot?

4 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Ok, headed there with 7 and 12 year old for 2 days (part of long road trip) and would appreciate advice.

1)   Mt Pleasant or Charleston hotel?  Don't need to be in cool mix since I have two heavy anchors in tow that prevent actual adult fun.

2)  Already wrote down various restaurants to choose from out of this thread so appreciate it all.  Any final comments on family friendly places?  We go to bars and stuff with them...but tend to bail before cool people and/or crowd gets there.  Can I go eat at like 5 p.m. at a place like Husk with them or is it too cool a spot?

No on Mt Pleasant.  I’d stay in Charleston, but would consider Isle of Palms before MP.  It’s a 30-40 minute drive to downtown from IoP.  Do Husk for lunch.  Early dinner there with kids is fine, but I would grab lunch there, take a private carriage tour w the family, walk around South of Broad and the battery, then head to the rooftop bar at the Market Pavilion hotel at sunset and grab a drink and some appetizers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wife and I are going back next month for High Water Fest. This will be our fourth time up there for that festival. Our local friends are only going to be in town on Thursday night before they head to Alabama for a family wedding. We are going to dinner with them on Thursday night. We are on our own (for the first time ever here!) after that. Right now, we have reservations on Thursday at Maison and Wild Common The Ordinary. Wife is considering Lenoir. We will choose between those, I guess. We have reservations for late on Friday at Vern's. We are pulling suggestions off Conde Naste's list of 36 best Charleston restaurants -- we are flying blind on some of these.

Edited by C-Man

Wife and I are going back next month for High Water Fest. This will be our fourth time up there for that festival. Our local friends are only going to be in town on Thursday night before they head to Alabama for a family wedding. We are going to dinner with them on Thursday night. We are on our own (for the first time ever here!) after that. Right now, we have reservations on Thursday at Maison and Wild Common The Ordinary. Wife is considering Lenoir. We will choose between those, I guess. We have reservations for late on Friday at Vern's. We are pulling suggestions off Conde Naste's list of 36 best Charleston restaurants -- we are flying blind on some of these.

Never been to Lenoir, but I am a North Carolinian and have been to a couple Vivian Howard restaurants

Eastern NC cuisine is actually quite different from Lowcountry cuisine, but Chef and The Farmer in Kinston, NC was excellent ~8 years ago. If they have the peanut risotto or any kind of field peas on the menu at Lenoir, you should order it. Also, Tom Thumb or any manner of air-dried sausages are a delicacy
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2018 at 4:32 PM, Elvis Presto said:

There are companies moving here.  Volvo and Mercedes are building plants north of Charleston and boeing is here but for the most part there aren't a lot of good jobs.  Lots of lawyers, doctors, port stuff, fishing and food & bev.  My wife works for a defense contractor and there is a decent amount of that going on bc of the naval weapons station.  

Also, there are a ton of yankees here.  Half of ohio and the northeast are moving here.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2020/01/20/south-carolina-hates-ohio-according-to-this-map-confusing-the-internet/

Good timing on this bump. Headed there for the weekend. Reservations for Husk, Grace and Grit, The Ordinary and High Cotton. Hoping to get some BBQ in as well. 

Have the kids along so staying at the The Beach Club as I saw some others picked as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Skipper said:
Bumping as a couple of you  [mention=2421]hornbri[/mention]  [mention=298]C-Man[/mention]  owe us some trip reports. I'm trying to finalize dinners for a June trip and curious about recent feedback

We had a blast as always. Went to a couple of new places that I'd recommend.

Southbound (EDIT to correct restaurant name) on the first night was really cool -- it's in an old house in Elliotborough (???). Has a wraparound porch. Food was terrific. We were supposed to sit on the side-yard patio but it rained pretty hard. They told us to come anyway if we wanted and they'd try to work us in at the bar. It took awhile but we finally got a table around 9. Took Anthony Bourdain's advice and drank more than one Negroni -- I think I had four. Place has only been opened for two months or so.

The next night we went to Vern's, which we pulled off Conde Nast's list of 36 best Charleston restaurants. Food was great. We drove down to Savannah for the day and came back for a 9PM reservation. Strongly recommend Vern's as well. It was up near the same neighborhood as Southbound. On our way back toward douchey North King Street (my wife wanted to peek in at Leva's ridiculous Republic Bar from Southern Hospitality/Bravo show, maybe have a drink there), we stopped into a really cool (and tiny) neighborhood wine bar called Elliotborough Mini Bar. We just missed the live music but had a drink and went on our way.

Saturday and Sunday were pretty dedicated to High Water Fest. We did, however, meet another local friend for brunch on Sunday at Basic Kitchen. It's an eclectic menu -- the tempura cauliflower "Buffalo style wings" were delish. On our way to High Water, we tried to grab a bite at Leon's but didn't want to wait 30-45 mins in the middle of the afternoon for a table. I figured Lewis Barbecue would be easy to get in and eat but the line was out the door there for some reason. Grudgingly, we went over to Hometown BBQ where the food is average but I love that orange julius type frozen drink. Ate some wings and headed to North Charleston to see Wilco, Shovels & Rope and Beck. Good times!

Ended our trip with breakfast with our good friend, who had dinner with us Thursday before heading to Alabama for a family wedding that weekend, over breakfast Monday morning at Miller's All Day. We'd never been able to get in there due to the place always being slammed on the weekends. Chicken biscuit was pretty freaking tasty.

f47965971e888e0531dfc691adfb8f7b.jpg

"Local" Ahi Tuna with Bok Choy and Maple Grapefruit Gastrique @ Southwind:
6a5895878e86b7b000f34d0c062c74ec.jpg

We saw the most vivid rainbow either of us has ever seen on our drive back to Charleston from Savannah on Friday evening. It was raining off-and-on and we saw a double rainbow -- we could see the entire parabola from the left all the way to the right. I was looking for the goddamn leprauchan. The picture doesn't even do it justice.
795c0cb7b253a36ef7a7a493bd8a5e14.jpg

Bavette steak entree at Vern's:
79b716b173bf9f927f22f4ada12c13e3.jpg

Entrance to High Water Fest:
bf3b115b36f71d41032d377bb271b909.jpg

Rainbow Kitten Surprise to end Saturday night. First time to see them since lead singer transitioned and they're still crushing it:

56c1e5e0e675cc13db037de00d9e5c91.jpg

Tempura buffalo style cauliflower. This was seriously good.
980624500c13f5e71d5bac5ad31c4403.jpg

The pool scene at The Ryder, one of the few outdoor pools in all of downtown/French Quarter Charleston. We stayed here last year, stayed at their sister property Emmaline this year.
4d0094ca79fb243ae3a0083d5e19ebda.jpg

Frozen "Game Changer" @ Home Team:
2909721d62106734eab064769b8b0979.jpg

Wilco @ High Water:
53cd31aa929b235cdbc46a1129658e97.jpg

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Heading to Charleston for a long weekend at the end of the month with the wife and 11 year old. Anyone been to Edmunds Oast for dinner? Menu/vibe seems similar to the Stone Liberty Station in San Diego. 

Definitely checking out Fort Sumter. Any other family-friendly recs?

We went last week.   I'll try to come back for pics later but below are food observations below while fresh on my mind.  Overall fantastic destination and would like to get back again.

Weds: Dinner:  Slightly North of Broad (SNOB):  It's a close call but maybe top to bottom best meal.  Mussels, grilled fish and shrimp and grits were all elite.

Thurs lunch:  Raw 167:  Fantastic as noted on this thread.   Great oysters and lobster roll may been single best bite of the trip.

Thurs Dinner:  Husk:  Really good and wouldn't hesitate to go back but maybe not quite the quality of SNOB.  Pimento cheese app was great.  Grilled oysters just ok (not to New Orleans standard).  Really solid pork dish and catfish was fine but needed more seasoning. Probably best collared greens I've had though.

Fri Lunch:  Walked around a ton and got hungry then doubled up BBQ.  Rodney Scott first then Lewis.  Rodney Scott (we did whole hog) was fine but felt like a little more fast food or Rudy's BBQ (there was a drive through).  It wasn't bad and would go there for a sandwich but nothing memorable.  I think he has like 6 locations now so I'm sure not hear the quality that won him the James Beard.  Lewis on the other hand was phenomenal and would absolutely compete with any top place in Texas.  I absolutely loved his setup.  Full bar right when you go in so we grabbed a beer waiting in line.  Then after finishing, grabbed a pitcher of margs and some topo chico to sip on ranch waters while watching college baseball in the shade.  Great Fri afternoon and very much an "Austin" vibe (which coming from Dallas still felt like vacation).  We were stuffed so walked all the way back to the Quarter (stopping for drinks on King midway).

Fri Dinner:  Maison:   Another very good meal.  The Duck I ordered was excellent.  Wife got the steak frites which were fine but nothing amazing.   Good very reasonably priced wine list (pretty sure that was our only red wine of the trip).

Sat Brunch:  82 Queen:  Fried Green Tomatoes, Jambalaya and Shrimp and Grits.   Jambalaya could have used some kick (or hot sauce) but know that's not really Charleston style.  All were excellent though.

Sat Dinner:  Indaco:  Switched it up with Italian after eating all of the Southern Cuisine.  Walked to restaurant for late dinner (during Texas comeback against Stanford so missed that) to make sure had room.  Just did salad, pizza and pasta and it was all fantastic.  It had good ratings but had no expectations for Italian in Charleston but it was great.  Sidenote:  Had a client from NY make a strong last minute rec for Melfi's but they didn't have any openings until after 10.  Also there is a new place called Sorelle that is a current hot spot and super tough reservation.  Apparently Charleston does in fact have quite an Italian scene to my surprise.

Sunday:  Leon's - Chargrilled Oysters (closer but not quite to Felix's or Drago's level), Fried Chicken and Fried Clams + Champagne.  Perfect end to trip before hopping on a plane.

Hotel/Bars:  We stayed at Market Pavillion and it was perfect.  Good location, room was fine (coffee in hall outside rooms every morning was a nice touch) but great bars (and nice rooftop pool, by the bar, we didn't use but would have been a nice lazy afternoon if on a longer or 2nd trip).  We tried numerous rooftop bars (Vendue, Henry, a couple of others) but I think the rooftop bar here had the best view of any we saw.  Only downside was no high quality tequila but great views.  Also, the lobby bar downstairs was solid as well for the higher quality cocktails (great bourbon and overall liquor selection) and they did the bit where they would pour liquid nitrogen into signature cocktails which was kind of fun when already a few deep.  Both bars open to public so check those out if not staying there.  Also liked the 82 Queen Courtyard bar for a quality afternoon cocktail.  Blind Tiger was solid for post dinner drinks as was Prohibition (younger crowd but fun people watching all the young college of charleston bros hit on the bachelorette parties)

Overall takeaways:

"Cleaner/Nicer" New Orleans is what I had heard (including likely in this thread) and is about right.  I still think toe-to-toe I go New Orleans over Charleston for food just because N.O. cuisine has that extra kick that low country cuisine isn't known for.  Just my style.  Also clearly not remotely the live music scene of N.O.  But for cleanliness, smell, perceived safety walking at night, etc. etc. Charleston has that beat. 

It also shocked me how much Charleston "shut down" around 10 or 11 PM.  Other than "bars" everything seems to shut down at 10:30 or 11.  Our hotel was no different.  Bars closed at 11 and when we came back to room after 11:15 we had to call to get security to open the lobby door.  We're older so that was generally fine but would have liked a nightcap after 11 a couple of nights in the lobby or at a nicer bar but you had to search for a spot.

Also, I knew a lot of history there but underestimated how much.  We did a walking tour first morning to get our bearings and get a general overview of city and did a ton of wandering around looking at the historic homes.  We toured a bunch of the sites in Charleston (probably 4 of the older houses and the slave market) and then spent an afternoon at Middleton Place plantation.   There was still a ton we didn't see.   Definitely not a city you will get bored in.  

Now on a water/salad/soup diet for a week to detox from all the awesomeness.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 3

Timely bumps today. I am going with my family on another Great American Road Trip in July, this time around the southeast-ish part of the country. We've done one every year since 2020 in the summer and they're usually awesome. 

We're driving to Memphis to see family, then Nashville>Charleston>Savannah>Seaside>New Orleans>Houston over the course of 15 days. We're spending 3 days in Charleston and we usually try to eat well. I haven't been to Charleston since 2015, so the recs here will help. That said, my big question to you guys is how soon should we worry over reservations there? We've been kind of slammed and putting that off for this trip, but reading this thread makes me feel like Charleston specifically is getting a little tight due to growth. 

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Timely bumps today. I am going with my family on another Great American Road Trip in July, this time around the southeast-ish part of the country. We've done one every year since 2020 in the summer and they're usually awesome. 

We're driving to Memphis to see family, then Nashville>Charleston>Savannah>Seaside>New Orleans>Houston over the course of 15 days. We're spending 3 days in Charleston and we usually try to eat well. I haven't been to Charleston since 2015, so the recs here will help. That said, my big question to you guys is how soon should we worry over reservations there? We've been kind of slammed and putting that off for this trip, but reading this thread makes me feel like Charleston specifically is getting a little tight due to growth. 

I made my dinner's about 3 weeks out and it wasn't a problem. Sat night dinner I pivoted a few days out to Indaco.  The only ones I looked closely at that seemed tougher were FIG Friday night (I decided on Maison but I think there were only super early or late times available) and Sorelle (which was fully booked whenever I looked a few weeks out).  I think walk in only at Raw 167, Lewis and Leon's (lunch or dinner).  We waited about 15 mins for each at lunch so wasn't bad.

• 3 weeks later...

We’re here now-yesterday was 98 degrees with 95% humidity most of the day, just ruthless when our favorite activity to explore the city on foot.  So far Raw 167 delivered, we canceled a Husk reserve because the daily menu looked unremarkable, and we’re about to eat at Obstinate daughter after a morning at the beach.  

I will say, I’m too old and too married to really care about the young 20’s talent but I’m a little surprised how many good looking young women abound.  If I was 20-30’s I think this would be an awesome place to work remotely or come work in tourism over  a summer break, far better than New Orleans in that respect.  

On 6/14/2023 at 5:24 PM, closetojumping said:

Get on it sooner than later. Most of the tough-get restaurants open their reservations 30 days in advance, exactly 30 days so you can't get an 7/31 reservation on 6/31, you have to get it on 7/1. My wife found all this out this last year since we were doing most of finding/booking this trip.

There are some phenomenal places mentioned in this thread that don't take reservations -- Leon's, Lewis, 167 Raw. If I'm a first-timer to Charleston, I don't miss a single one of these places. We did FIG last year when we were there as it was basically our 5th anniversary. The food was spectacular. Highly recommend it if you can squeeze in.

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

We’re here now-yesterday was 98 degrees with 95% humidity most of the day, just ruthless when our favorite activity to explore the city on foot.  So far Raw 167 delivered, we canceled a Husk reserve because the daily menu looked unremarkable, and we’re about to eat at Obstinate daughter after a morning at the beach.  

I will say, I’m too old and too married to really care about the young 20’s talent but I’m a little surprised how many good looking young women abound.  If I was 20-30’s I think this would be an awesome place to work remotely or come work in tourism over  a summer break, far better than New Orleans in that respect.  

the only place I seen hotter ass in effect is Scottsdale 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Get on it sooner than later. Most of the tough-get restaurants open their reservations 30 days in advance, exactly 30 days so you can't get an 7/31 reservation on 6/31, you have to get it on 7/1. My wife found all this out this last year since we were doing most of finding/booking this trip.

Most people are going to have a difficult time doing anything on 6/31.

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2023 at 4:22 PM, Skipper said:

Sunday:  Leon's - Chargrilled Oysters (closer but not quite to Felix's or Drago's level), Fried Chicken and Fried Clams + Champagne.  Perfect end to trip before hopping on a plane.

We’re about to depart but a quick update on few destinations:

1.  We ate at Leon’s for dinner and it was probably my favorite experience even if the food was a little underwhelming.  Great ambiance, not terribly expensive, interesting cocktail menu and soft serve ice cream.  

2.  Dap’s for breakfast made all of the lists and it was Omelettry quality, which is fine but nothing I’d tell out of towners they need to hit.  We didn’t have any better than average breakfast brunch experiences but will leave without trying Miller’s All Day (we hoped to squeeze it in this morning but couldn’t get the kids mobilized).  

3.  Obstinate daughter on Sullivan’s Island was great, neat menu.  

4.  We did dinner at Basic Kitchen last night and it was a nice change of pace from local cuisine.  Lots of vegetables, kids ate for $8 a plate and it wasn’t hot dogs and French fries, cocktails were all gin or vodka based but decent.  Beet crudite was a highlight.

3.  Traveling with little kids totally changes what you can do, where you can go, and how fast you can do it.  We canceled a Husk reservation in part because it looked like a bad place to take the kids (although we saw plenty of older kids dining when we stopped in for a drink).  Their cocktail menu was terrific, however-I’d give it a strong recommend on that alone.  

The locals we met or just passed in the street were exceedingly polite; somewhat weird, however, was how ambivalent many retail folks were when we walked in their stores, like they didn’t want to be there or acknowledge a possible customer.   

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wrapping up a week in Charleston and Savannah. Ate at 167 Raw, Obstinate Daughter, Poogan’s Porch and Rodney Scott’s. All were good but 167 and OD stood out. I wore a shirt from Faherty to 167 tonight and it was the waiter uniform. They all had it on! Wife and kids thought that was hilarious…IMG_2945.thumb.jpeg.2015e952759dcf64425d227ac2c05d75.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got back from there last week.

1.  Hot and humid.. 

2.  Someone mentioned "clean" New Orleans.. spot on

3.  The city does seem to shut down around 10-11

4.  Harbor nigh tour was cool 

Food options were great all the way around (Rodney Scott's was above average) and a ton of places to choose from.  If you are waling around the City a lot, wait until the Summer heat chills some.. 

• 7 months later...

Bumping this mofo. The soon-to-be-wife and I are going to Charleston June 6-10, first time for us both. We’re not taking a single long honeymoon after our wedding, and instead will be taking a few shorter trips spread out over the year. Charleston will be the first.

Skimming though this thread it looks like we need to go to Raw 187 and Fig.

Would appreciate hotel recs in the heart of town, in the high 4-star range. 

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

Bumping this mofo. The soon-to-be-wife and I are going to Charleston June 6-10, first time for us both. We’re not taking a single long honeymoon after our wedding, and instead will be taking a few shorter trips spread out over the year. Charleston will be the first.

Skimming though this thread it looks like we need to go to Raw 187 and Fig.

Would appreciate hotel recs in the heart of town, in the high 4-star range. 

Hotel Bennett