2020 Baseball Cheaters vs the World Thread of Hate

UTexasFight

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

no trollish updates from @youdunnf'dup ?

I’ve actually had a pretty busy work day today. That’s what I get for fishing in this thread while im at work. I gotta tell you. Covid is the best thing that’s ever happened to the Astros. Maybe the best thing for any team ever. You get expanded playoff in a year that you otherwise wouldn’t have gotten in, you manage to get matched up with the two biggest playoff losers of my lifetime, and now, as you get to 2 games above .500 on the year, you have a chance to be the first team in MLB history to play in an LCS with a losing regular season record. The Astros and Purell. The two biggest beneficiaries of the global pandemic that were in. 

Credit where it’s due though. You didn’t tell Manfred to take it easy on you guys, or expand the playoffs to allow you guys in the playoffs, or match you up with two teams that were mentally broken before they even got to the postseason (like they always are). You play the hand you’re dealt. You guys were dealt a 7 and a 2 and you flopped a full house. Like I said. I like a good underdog story. The Marlins got bounced so there’s really only one underdog left. 

Also, I just saw the replay of Correa’s 3 run hr. I think you could’ve taken that hanging breaking ball deep. But again, you play the hand you’re dealt. Hopefully you get the Yankees so the people get what they want. 

26 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I gotta tell you. Covid is the best thing that’s ever happened to the Astros. Maybe the best thing for any team ever. You get expanded playoff in a year that you otherwise wouldn’t have gotten in, you manage to get matched up with the two biggest playoff losers of my lifetime, and now, as you get to 2 games above .500 on the year, you have a chance to be the first team in MLB history to play in an LCS with a losing regular season record. The Astros and Purell. The two biggest beneficiaries of the global pandemic that were in. 

I like how you assume Houston would've just lost the additional 102 games.  They're smashing playoff teams now, but they obviously could've never saved their season from (checks notes) 2 games under .500.  Solid logic, there, Friendo.

I'd like to thank you for adding so much enjoyment to these two playoff series wins, tho.  Skirt.

• Like 2

I’ve actually had a pretty busy work day today. That’s what I get for fishing in this thread while im at work. I gotta tell you. Covid is the best thing that’s ever happened to the Astros. Maybe the best thing for any team ever. You get expanded playoff in a year that you otherwise wouldn’t have gotten in, you manage to get matched up with the two biggest playoff losers of my lifetime, and now, as you get to 2 games above .500 on the year, you have a chance to be the first team in MLB history to play in an LCS with a losing regular season record. The Astros and Purell. The two biggest beneficiaries of the global pandemic that were in. 

Credit where it’s due though. You didn’t tell Manfred to take it easy on you guys, or expand the playoffs to allow you guys in the playoffs, or match you up with two teams that were mentally broken before they even got to the postseason (like they always are). You play the hand you’re dealt. You guys were dealt a 7 and a 2 and you flopped a full house. Like I said. I like a good underdog story. The Marlins got bounced so there’s really only one underdog left. 

Also, I just saw the replay of Correa’s 3 run hr. I think you could’ve taken that hanging breaking ball deep. But again, you play the hand you’re dealt. Hopefully you get the Yankees so the people get what they want. 
that's an impressive amount of typing with your mouth full of Stros dicks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

The Nationals were 27-33 sixty games into last season.

They’re the outlier probably. I’m not doing the research. Safe to assume you probably would’ve missed the playoffs though. Also, it’s more about the expanded playoff part than the actual record itself. It was the perfect covid/manfred storm for the Astros. 

15 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You forgot to add in shortened season so it doesn’t count. 

Also, [mention=5578]HillaryFan420[/mention]. Still haven’t heard back from anyone yet since you “reported me” lol. That was legit one of the biggest bitch moves I’ve seen on this site. You were probably the kid who got bullied and always snitched to the teacher when someone called you fat.

That’s because it was a joke dumbass.

14 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

That’s because it was a joke dumbass.

C’mon Hillary. You don’t have to lie. It’s an anonymous message board. You are who you are. Don’t be ashamed of that. I mean, you were definitely the kid that walked 5 blocks out of the way when walking to school to avoid the school bully, but who cares. Don’t be ashamed of that. 

Im sorry, I’ll get back to baseball. Bogging down the thread with former First Lady over here. That’s my bad. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They’re the outlier probably. I’m not doing the research. Safe to assume you probably would’ve missed the playoffs though. Also, it’s more about the expanded playoff part than the actual record itself. It was the perfect covid/manfred storm for the Astros. 

You forgot to add in shortened season so it doesn’t count. 

So if the Yankees win tomorrow, should we all pretend the 2020 ALCS never happened? They wouldn’t have made it either. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

6735EF36-09BF-47C4-AAF5-DCA92F56B881.gif

I definitely need Tampa to win so there’s a legitimate AL representative. It’s gonna be tough. On one hand, there’s a team that I’ve disliked since I was a small child. OU, eagles , and Yankees are the only teams that fall into that category. On the other hand there’s a team that has players that are somewhat likable, but their fans have a bad case of inferiority complex because history will never give them the respect their fans feel like they deserve. 

On a serious note though, An Astros v dodgers World Series would be pretty spicy 

Precisely.

As we've been told repeatedly, the only reason that the cheating Astros made the ALCS for the last 3 years and the World Series for 2 of those years is that they all knew every pitch that was coming - even in the opposing team's ballpark. Just a bunch of no-talent hacks, benefiting from ill-gotten gains.

I'm glad that, after being exposed as poseurs, they have gone down in ignominious flames in this year's playoffs.

Edit to add: Make it 4 years in a row  Motherfucking cheaters. you got to give it to them, you got to be a good cheater to make the ALCS 4 years in a row.

Edited by Victor Lazlo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just an unbelievable story that all of these guys relearned how to hit a baseball against the best bullpen in baseball, and absolutely mash the shit out of them.  And it was Correa, Altuve, and Springer doing most of the damage.  Has anyone heard from Stan Van Gundy recently?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Nobody believes that report except for Astros fans that want to think they cheated in 2017, won a World Series, and decided to stop cheating. 

So your position is that the Astros cheated in 2018, too, stopped in 2019, then proceeded to win more games and score more runs in 2019 than they had in either season they cheated? 

Not sure that says what you think it says. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some people find it hard to believe that the Astros stopped cheating on their own in early 2018, but it sounds perfectly plausible to me. 

The type of cheating that they were doing is highly dependent on accuracy.  For it to be a truly effective system, it would have to be correct 100% of the time, otherwise it adds an extra variable into an already complex calculation in the hitter’s head.  There’s no way that his was a perfect system.  It seems likely to me that after playing with this system for a year, the Astros hitters had received enough incorrect pitch tips that the benefit was completely erased and the signals were adding uncertainty rather than removing it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So your position is that the Astros cheated in 2018, too, stopped in 2019, then proceeded to win more games and score more runs in 2019 than they had in either season they cheated? 

Not sure that says what you think it says. 

Well no. This is the first year they haven’t cheated since they’ve been good. My bad if I didn’t make that clear throughout this whole thread lol.

9 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Some people find it hard to believe that the Astros stopped cheating on their own in early 2018, but it sounds perfectly plausible to me. 

The type of cheating that they were doing is highly dependent on accuracy.  For it to be a truly effective system, it would have to be correct 100% of the time, otherwise it adds an extra variable into an already complex calculation in the hitter’s head.  There’s no way that his was a perfect system.  It seems likely to me that after playing with this system for a year, the Astros hitters had received enough incorrect pitch tips that the benefit was completely erased and the signals were adding uncertainty rather than removing it.  

Lol they didn’t stop cheating on their own. Just stop.

12 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I like how you assume Houston would've just lost the additional 102 games.  They're smashing playoff teams now, but they obviously could've never saved their season from (checks notes) 2 games under .500.  Solid logic, there, Friendo.

I'd like to thank you for adding so much enjoyment to these two playoff series wins, tho.  Skirt.

You have 1 impressive playoff series win. The Twins are not a playoff team and haven’t been since 91. 18 straight losses out front should’ve told ya

Just now, Helobious said:

You have 1 impressive playoff series win. The Twins are not a playoff team and haven’t been since 91. 18 straight losses out front should’ve told ya

I mean I’m pretty sure the A’s have lost every playoff series they’re even been in throughout my lifetime, except for the 2 out of 3 they win against the white Sox. So the Astros really couldn’t ask for a better set of circumstances. From the losing regular season record, the expanded playoff, and the 2 bye weeks they got when they made it to the postseason. 

Like I said, dealt a 7 and a 2 this year and flopped a full house. That’s always a great feeling when you have a shit hand and factors that have nothing to do with you suddenly make your hand the winning hand

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Absolutely. This is what I've wondered about for a while. Anyone who's ever gone up to bat at a decent level knows you'd have to have total buy-in and a very high degree of accuracy for a system like this to be helpful. It could also even be counterproductive for some hitters, mentally, to know what's coming ... like in batting practice where you know a fastball or a changeup is coming and "muscle up" changing your swing even ever so subtly to crush the pitch. 

Either of these could explain individual players saying they didn't want to be tipped off (not just in the Astros case, but in the many others that preceded them, like with Nellie Fox, etc).

Edited by wood

40 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The Twins played .600 baseball and won a division.  But they're not a playoff team when the Astros sweep them.  Got it.

So if losing a playoff series means that team didn't deserve to be there, were the Yankees "not a playoff team" when the Astros ended their season 3 times in the last 5 years?

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I have little doubt there was something going on last year during the playoffs. Alex Bregman sitting on a meatball slider right down the middle on something like a 2-0 count. He knew that slider was coming and was waiting for a fastball. There were multiple at bats people were wondering why he wasn't swinging at pitches down the middle. I don't think he was getting fooled by those pitches.

Kyle Tucker swinger at a fastball over his head. He knew that fastball was coming.The announcer sarcastically made a comment that Tucker swung like he knew that pitch was coming yesterday.

Maybe they weren't using the same system they used in 2017, but they had some kind of system going on. I know they were good at analyzing pitchers tipping pitches, so that was probably also a factor.

6 minutes ago, mycox said:

I have little doubt there was something going on last year during the playoffs. Alex Bregman sitting on a meatball slider right down the middle on something like a 2-0 count. He knew that slider was coming and was waiting for a fastball. There were multiple at bats people were wondering why he wasn't swinging at pitches down the middle. I don't think he was getting fooled by those pitches.

Kyle Tucker swinger at a fastball over his head. He knew that fastball was coming.The announcer sarcastically made a comment that Tucker swung like he knew that pitch was coming yesterday.

Maybe they weren't using the same system they used in 2017, but they had some kind of system going on. I know they were good at analyzing pitchers tipping pitches, so that was probably also a factor.

Lol.  So they watched the pitcher's body language, and may have seen differing grips or release points which gave them clues about the pitch.  Shocked that people who get paid millions of dollars to hit baseballs would do this since every other hitter for any other team closes their eyes up until the pitcher releases the ball.

Also, you should probably look at last year's playoff box scores.  The Astros played too tense and were pressing too much in the playoffs, if anything.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Lol.  So they watched the pitcher's body language, and may have seen differing grips or release points which gave them clues about the pitch.  Shocked that people who get paid millions of dollars to hit baseballs would do this since every other hitter for any other team closes their eyes up until the pitcher releases the ball.

Also, you should probably look at last year's playoff box scores.  The Astros played too tense and were pressing too much in the playoffs, if anything.

Yeah hitters read pitchers constantly, and hitters guess. Sometimes right. Sometimes wrong. Sometimes it's pretty. Sometimes it's ugly as shit, even when they guess right.

13 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I will give you this though. This was kind of a bitch move by the A’s. Give the people what they want you mental midgets

14 games this year between the A’s and Houston.   Mike Fiers is nowhere to be found.  

Really?  It defies explanation.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Absolutely. This is what I've wondered about for a while. Anyone who's ever gone up to bat at a decent level knows you'd have to have total buy-in and a very high degree of accuracy for a system like this to be helpful. It could also even be counterproductive for some hitters, mentally, to know what's coming ... like in batting practice where you know a fastball or a changeup is coming and "muscle up" changing your swing even ever so subtly to crush the pitch. 

Either of these could explain individual players saying they didn't want to be tipped off (not just in the Astros case, but in the many others that preceded them, like with Nellie Fox, etc).

Nellie Fox?  He played in the 1930’s?  I thought the Astros in 2017’inbented this type of cheating?  Carlos Beltran brought it with him from other places- but those places didn’t cheat they just- uhmmm workshopped it as a hypothetical but being pure as the driven snow didn’t implement it until Beltran found an amoral group of shot heads to buttfuck the Statue of Liberty, wipe the spooge off with the American Flag, and then give the finger to a group of cub scouts. 
that’s the way I heard the story from the national media anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

14 games this year between the A’s and Houston.   Mike Fiers is nowhere to be found.  

Really?  It defies explanation.

I bet that was at Fiers request. He does come off as a baby back bitch even if he felt the moral obligation to do the right thing and tattletale on his old team lol. He should link up with Hillaryfan to talk to him about how to be more effective as a snitch. 

• Haha 1