2020 Baseball Cheaters vs the World Thread of Hate

UTexasFight

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nellie Fox?  He played in the 1930’s?  I thought the Astros in 2017’inbented this type of cheating?  Carlos Beltran brought it with him from other places- but those places didn’t cheat they just- uhmmm workshopped it as a hypothetical but being pure as the driven snow didn’t implement it until Beltran found an amoral group of shot heads to buttfuck the Statue of Liberty, wipe the spooge off with the American Flag, and then give the finger to a group of cub scouts. 
that’s the way I heard the story from the national media anyway. 

Exactly....and if anyone's interested in the actual 140+ year history of sign-stealing systems in the Bigs, there are many more articles, besides the one I already posted, that go into it in detail. A few ...

Baseball’s cheating history includes its most famous home run, the ‘Shot Heard ’Round the World’ https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/02/13/giants-cheating-home-run-1951/?tid=ss_tw

Why Astros' penalties are harsh enough despite calls for much more https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28547558

Baseball's Toronto Blue Jays under suspicion again of stealing signs at Rogers Centre https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6837424/baseball-toronto-blue-jays-suspicion-again-stealing-signs-rogers-centre

Edited by wood

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It doesn’t defy explanation. He’s a gigantic flaming gash. There. Very easy (and correct) explanation. 

As soon as I saw that playoff matchup that was literally the only thing I felt like was must see tv. When Fiers gets in (not if, but when), I have to see how that plays out. Do they bat flip him after taking him deep? Does he keep throwing inside and hit a few people “by mistake”. Does he strike out the side and give a overzealous celebration. So many possibilities, but he bitched out. Easily the most disappointing thing that came out of that series. I kept waiting and waiting for nothing.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You have 1 impressive playoff series win. The Twins are not a playoff team and haven’t been since 91. 18 straight losses out front should’ve told ya

The Twins suck

The A’s trip on their own dicks

Yankees can’t win an ALCS

Dodgers drown in their own tears in the WS.

Astros keep makin work...   Yes, Sir.  That script sounds great. 

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

The Twins played .600 baseball and won a division.  But they're not a playoff team when the Astros sweep them.  Got it.

So if losing a playoff series means that team didn't deserve to be there, were the Yankees "not a playoff team" when the Astros ended their season 3 times in the last 5 years?

Yeah, not remotely the same. The Yankees are a playoff team because they’ve demonstrated an ability to actually, you know, win a fucking playoff game. The Twins haven’t demonstrated that. They’re like OU.

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

The Twins suck

The A’s trip on their own dicks

Yankees can’t win an ALCS

Dodgers drown in their own tears in the WS.

Astros keep makin work...   Yes, Sir.  That script sounds great. 

Close. I think a better way of saying it is, as soon as these teams clinched and the champagne party was over, everyone associated with both organizations (players, coaches, front office, fans) had a collective “oh fuck, now we’re in the playoffs. Hopefully this goes better than it has for the last 20+ years because we always manage to fuck this up”. They were mentally broken before the first pitch of the first series. But that’s the beauty of baseball. Just because the Marlins could’ve done what y’all did against those two mental midget teams, it doesn’t take away from the fact that you still had to do it. So credit where it’s due.

Ill have to check back later on the other bullet points to see if you’re accurate. Cant come to a conclusion just yet.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Yeah, not remotely the same. The Yankees are a playoff team because they’ve demonstrated an ability to actually, you know, win a fucking playoff game. The Twins haven’t demonstrated that. They’re like OU.

So when we end your bandwagon team's season for the 4th time in 6 years, it'll count?

I mean, beating two .600 teams who won their divisions doesn't count because they're not really playoff teams, but beating the .550 Yankees who didn't win their division will count because the Yankees are a real playoff team. 

Right?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I was watching Nolan in the Dome in 1982 when I was a young boy.  I was at Game 1 of the NLCS in 1986 when Scotty outdueled Gooden 1-0.  You jumped on the bandwagon of the winningest team ever even though they're 1,500 miles away.  Oh, but our attendance was down during the worst stretch in franchise history.  What a zinger.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I can never take an Astros fan that calls another fan a “bandwagoner” serious. Like MMP wasn’t the emptiest MLB stadium in the world from 2006-2014.

So you have to go to the game to be a fan? How many games at Yankee stadium have you attended?  

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

So you have to go to the game to be a fan? How many games at Yankee stadium have you attended?  

Yeah I'm guessing I went to more Astros games in those first coupla years than Yankees games Heblobius has been to in a lifetime.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

5. Not counting all the times I’ve seen them play in Arlington & Houston. Don’t pretend like you or anyone else in Houston gave a shit about the Astros before 2015. Only time you ever saw anyone in Astros gear before then was in rap videos just because those guys were repping the city. No coincidence you see more gear nowadays. Everyone’s on the bandwagon, and they’ll hop off it once y’all fade into oblivion next year.

I can never take an Astros fan that calls another fan a “bandwagoner” serious. Like MMP wasn’t the emptiest MLB stadium in the world from 2006-2014.

You never miss an opportunity to look like the biggest fucking clown on this site whenever this shit comes up. Surly is chock full of lifelong diehard Astros fans, many having grown up in the Houston area and many others lifelong Texans. We all have stories of lifelong memories from the Dome and lifelong heartbreaks and walkoff celebrations etc.

Get the fuck outta here you stupid fuckturd Yankee fraud.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

I appreciate that your Yankee, Cowboy, and Laker fanships are all real and heartfelt.

Most Astros fans are from Texas or from Houston specifically.  How does one "bandwagon" their home city's team?  Interest wanes in down years and increases in winning years, but fans are always fans. 

I go to more Yankees games per year than you've been to in your life, and I've been to more Mets games than I have been to Astros and Yankee games combined. But all that means is that I'm an adult that likes to watch baseball and can afford to go to games.  It doesn't make me a true fan of either one even if I'm coming around to the Mets being my second favorite team. As a poor kid in Houston, I went to games when I was lucky enough to get tickets, but otherwise watched nearly every single game on TV. That made me a fan. But really, I'm a fan of all Houston teams. Watched plenty of Hotshots and Comets games too.  The fact is that you chose the big hated name because you wanted to be different or a dick to your friends who were fans of Texas teams.  If you grew up in the Bronx, you'd probably be a Red Sox fan for the same reason.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

going to an Astro game between 2011 and 13 was like asking someone to take a free kick at your balls. I wouldn't be surprised if some AAA teams couldn't have won some games against. Not to mention that was around the time that most people couldn't even see the Astros on TV due to their horrible deal with Comcast Sports later Roots Sports. It was like the Astros weren't even here for a couple of years.

Spending time and money to see the worst team in a league does not make you a great fan. It means you're someone that doesn't have anything else to do. And that's cool but don't hate on others because they want to do something else more worthwhile.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I went to games in Colt Stadium to see the Colt 45’s, numbnuts. 

I still have the program from the time my dad took me to see my first professional baseball game in Colt Stadium.  It even has some of the .45's autographs in it.  I've also been to more than 5 games in Yankee Stadium (the old one) and I was wearing an Astros jersey every time.  So do I win a prize?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I still have the program from the time my dad took me to see my first professional baseball game in Colt Stadium.  It even has some of the .45's autographs in it.  I've also been to more than 5 games in Yankee Stadium (the old one) and I was wearing an Astros jersey every time.  So do I win a prize?

One of the best selling concessions there was insect repellent, extra DEET. The mosquitos there were massive. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

going to an Astro game between 2011 and 13 was like asking someone to take a free kick at your balls. I wouldn't be surprised if some AAA teams couldn't have won some games against. Not to mention that was around the time that most people couldn't even see the Astros on TV due to their horrible deal with Comcast Sports later Roots Sports. It was like the Astros weren't even here for a couple of years.

Spending time and money to see the worst team in a league does not make you a great fan. It means you're someone that doesn't have anything else to do. And that's cool but don't hate on others because they want to do something else more worthwhile.

I went to every game where a kid from the minors that I’d follow got called up. That was the hope for the future and my way of clocking in. 
I couldn’t watch them because they had no carriage. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

...I go to more Yankees games per year than you've been to in your life, and I've been to more Mets games than I have been to Astros and Yankee games combined. But all that means is that I'm an adult that likes to watch baseball and can afford to go to games. ...

Yeah I was thinking about that too. I've been to more than 5 MLB stadiums for games that didn't even involve the Astros,

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I was thinking about that too. I've been to more than 5 MLB stadiums for games that didn't even involve the Astros,

I’ve been to like 28 or so Baseball stadiums. I think I’ve been to more stadiums that are defunct than active. I think. And I’m not even old- 42. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Sometimes its nice to go to a game when you don't have a rooting interest.  You have more appreciation for good plays made by either team.  I have only gotten that in Philly though. I still generally pull for the Mets and against the Yankees at their games.  Next year, I need to try to hit some Orioles, Nats, and Red Sox games.  Fenway has always been an "I'll do it next year" thing, but next year always turns into next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yep. Sometimes its nice to go to a game when you don't have a rooting interest.  You have more appreciation for good plays made by either team.  I have only gotten that in Philly though. I still generally pull for the Mets and against the Yankees at their games.  Next year, I need to try to hit some Orioles, Nats, and Red Sox games.  Fenway has always been an "I'll do it next year" thing, but next year always turns into next year. 

Was unimpressed with Fenway but I went in the early 90’s and they’ve spent a lot of cash since then. Camden yards is as good a park has ever been made. No longer unique but well done. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Agree, and Fenway is a must, imho. A cathedral of baseball.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

going to an Astro game between 2011 and 13 was like asking someone to take a free kick at your balls. ...

I hear you, but I went often during those years, because (a) you could generally get tickets for free, and (b) you could generally sit wherever you wanted. It was kinda great.  

I didn't really care about their performance, because those teams were horrendous (and I was 100% on board with the rebuilding strategy), but I still probably went a couple times per month. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

the Yankees are a playoff team because after constantly losing to the Astros, they simply did what their franchise success has always been about...spent more money than everyone else and got Cole from the Astros.  If you can't beat em, buy em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

The Yankees are a playoff team because of the expanded format. No different than the Astros. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Welp, guess we'll see y'all next year instead.

Anybody got a Dodger hat Helobius can borrow??

So ... which team is a real playoff team? The one that's in the ALCS, or the one that's gonna watch it on TV? Gotta keep my scorecard straight. Thanks in advance...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mycox said:

I have little doubt there was something going on last year during the playoffs. Alex Bregman sitting on a meatball slider right down the middle on something like a 2-0 count. He knew that slider was coming and was waiting for a fastball. There were multiple at bats people were wondering why he wasn't swinging at pitches down the middle. I don't think he was getting fooled by those pitches.

Kyle Tucker swinger at a fastball over his head. He knew that fastball was coming.The announcer sarcastically made a comment that Tucker swung like he knew that pitch was coming yesterday.

Maybe they weren't using the same system they used in 2017, but they had some kind of system going on. I know they were good at analyzing pitchers tipping pitches, so that was probably also a factor.

4hgbag.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wood said:

So ... which team is a real playoff team? The one that's in the ALCS, or the one that's gonna watch it on TV? Gotta keep my scorecard straight. Thanks in advance...

Well there’s only one real playoff team left in the AL...

they’re the only ones they would’ve made it under a format where they aren’t catering to the cheating teams. But the rays have been playing baseball without cheating for a while now so this is honestly yalls first real test. The other two rounds were bye weeks. The Yankees didn’t have the luxury of having an ALDS bye week.