Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i've watched a million videos and tried a million ways to season my carbon and cast iron stuff.  never been able to get it to a permanently-slick condition.  its always spotty and uneven. 

now i just make do from day to day.  then once a quarter ill just sand the bitch down with mild sandpaper and get it back to new condition again. 

https://altonbrown.com/how-to-care-for-cast-iron/

I did this with my cast iron. Worked great. Better than when I first bought it. 

36 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

https://altonbrown.com/how-to-care-for-cast-iron/

I did this with my cast iron. Worked great. Better than when I first bought it. 

that was the very first instruction i used - i may have even read it from his book.  any seasoning that i build feels like it can be stripped very easily in cleaning, after hours in the oven.  also felt wasteful dumping a clump of salt for the post-use cleaning which didnt clean it adequately for next use.

what i do now is just standard water + scouring pad.  then a tiny drop of oil with a few minutes back on the stove just enough to prevent rusting

Just now, 52-80 said:

that was the very first instruction i used - i may have even read it from his book.  any seasoning that i build feels like it can be stripped very easily in cleaning, after hours in the oven.  also felt wasteful dumping a clump of salt for the post-use cleaning which didnt clean it adequately for next use.

what i do now is just standard water + scouring pad.  then a tiny drop of oil with a few minutes back on the stove just enough to prevent rusting

I don't use salt to clean either. Like you, just water. But I did use his method for stripping and reseasoning and it worked great. 

Just now, Mo Horn said:

I don't use salt to clean either. Like you, just water. But I did use his method for stripping and reseasoning and it worked great. 

to what level do you clean after each use?  you just get all the gunk off but theres still a oily film due to the seasoning?

also considering sanding the rough surface very fine, just for the hell of it

Just now, 52-80 said:

to what level do you clean after each use?  you just get all the gunk off but theres still a oily film due to the seasoning?

also considering sanding the rough surface very fine, just for the hell of it

I get off anything stuck and then dry it with a paper towel. Yes there is a film due to seasoning. That's what keeps it nonstick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't look at the Alton brown link, but I have a 10" carbon pan that I use for omelettes only, and it is slick as glass.  It's 12" brother is a little less so. 

The difference probably was in the initial seasoning.  But once I got the pan clean and dry, I added a small amount of oil.  Then, I got to work with paper towels.  The goal was to wipe it until there was nearly no oil on the paper towels and, thus, no visible oil on the pan (there's still a minuscule amount of oil in the micro-crevices.  Once there's nothing visible left and next to nothing coming off on the paper towels, I just popped it in the oven (upside-down) for one hour at a temperature that was five degrees higher than the smoke point of whatever oil I used.  Then, I turn the oven off and leave it in there until it's completely cool.  That's it.

It came out perfect.  And a year later, it's still that golden color, not black. 

My larger pan was seasoned with more oil (before I knew better), routinely gets burgers, pork chops, an occasional steak, and whatever else.  It's black and splotchy and does reasonably well.  I've attempted to take it down to nothing and re-up a few times, but it's probably never going to have a surface that eggs slide around on.  But the meats and things don't stick badly to it and it's otherwise a great pan. 

Anyone have a good solution for storing pots and pans in a cabinet?  I've got an island with one big open space under the stove where we have all our pots/pans/dutch oven/pasta pot with strainer insert/wok/cast iron skillets and grills of multiple diameters and heights.  Am thinking of putting in a stainless steel shelf(s) to give me some vertical stacking space and something on the inside of the cabinet doors to put the lids but was wondering if any of you have any suggestions/recommendations...

I'm tired of having to lift 6 pans to get to the cast iron skillet on the bottom of the stack and digging under a bunch of pots to find the right sized lid...

9 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I haven’t had any success with using salt as an abrasive either. I keep some of these around for cleaning my cast iron:

d12b4b15-de76-463b-8be1-87e399af5ea2?qua

For everything else I use these:

9f3fb30d-75a4-4cda-8f88-1956aa864bf5_1.7

On 9/8/2021 at 12:45 PM, gsoda3 said:

ease of cleaning is huge.  been fighting that battle with a countertop ice maker.  trying to find one that's easy to clean is a challenge.  

I have a GE Opal that makes the soft sonic type ice.  It is reasonably priced, puts out plenty of ice, and is easy to clean.  Love it.

https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-Profile-Opal-2-0-Nugget-Ice-Maker-XPIO23SCSS?gclid=CjwKCAiAksyNBhAPEiwAlDBeLDOW4IkM8eM4wfaVgbjb1UsxQPgLtJlpz0bb0CZ0pgRQ-mgdto1nAhoCrxEQAvD_BwE

Second on the Breville oven.  Use it all the time.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 1:04 PM, 52-80 said:

if you make a lot of shoestring potatoes, the borner mandoline is pretty fucking serious

Seconded. Came here to post about this mandoline because it's one I've had for probably over ten years and recently started using it again a lot more and was reminded how great it is for french fries, gratin, julienned veggies, slaw, prepped salad ingredients (i.e. sliced radishes), and onion rings, etc. Great tool that can be intimidating to the novice (don't even look at it wrong or this thing will fuck you up) but isn't hard to learn to use and offers a great value at $60 for the five-pc set.

https://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any good recs for a salet chopper? I eat a salad with grilled chicken almost every day for lunch. I like it chopped. Sick and tired of using a pizza cutter in a plastic bowl that doesn't do the job very well and leaves me with smashed cherry tomatoes and uncut onions and a mess to clean up. I looked into it a bit. It seems there are a few tools out there - an extra special pizza cutter with a better handle like this right here , a rocker/chopper thingy , and then some power and non power options that are basically food processors. I bought this thing and used it today for the first time and it sucks. It only holds 3.5 cups, and it only chops the stuff at the bottom of the container so you have to basically pause and mix it and then chop again, and then empty and then put the rest of your salet in and rinse and repeat. Returning it. 

8 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Anyone have any good recs for a salet chopper? I eat a salad with grilled chicken almost every day for lunch. I like it chopped. Sick and tired of using a pizza cutter in a plastic bowl that doesn't do the job very well and leaves me with smashed cherry tomatoes and uncut onions and a mess to clean up. I looked into it a bit. It seems there are a few tools out there - an extra special pizza cutter with a better handle like this right here , a rocker/chopper thingy , and then some power and non power options that are basically food processors. I bought this thing and used it today for the first time and it sucks. It only holds 3.5 cups, and it only chops the stuff at the bottom of the container so you have to basically pause and mix it and then chop again, and then empty and then put the rest of your salet in and rinse and repeat. Returning it. 

I use a chef's knife and a cutting board.  Hasn't failed me yet...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Eh that seems like more work than I'd like. The pizza cutter method at least contains everything to the bowl I'm going to eat out of mostly. I'm looking for something where I can dump everything into a big container or bowl, put the lid on, press a magic button, and either eat out of said bowl or dump into a second bowl to eat. I don't have time to dice onions and shit during the work day. 

Eh that seems like more work than I'd like. The pizza cutter method at least contains everything to the bowl I'm going to eat out of mostly. I'm looking for something where I can dump everything into a big container or bowl, put the lid on, press a magic button, and either eat out of said bowl or dump into a second bowl to eat. I don't have time to dice onions and shit during the work day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Just so we're clear, you bought a mini food processor thing to use, which I'm guessing requires you to cut and chop lettuce on a board just so it would fit in there and also needs to be washed...but you think just using a knife and a cutting board and tossing everything into a bowl is too much work? Well ok. 

FWIW dude, I eat salads a lot of days. Chopping up romaine takes about 8 seconds, I bought I bought this thing for Cherry Tomatoes, and as for other vegetables I've dabbled with literally cutting up all my vegetables into a big bowl a few days in advance and just sprinkling on a mixture. But you do you, playa. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just so we're clear, you bought a mini food processor thing to use, which I'm guessing requires you to cut and chop lettuce on a board just so it would fit in there and also needs to be washed...but you think just using a knife and a cutting board and tossing everything into a bowl is too much work? Well ok. 

FWIW dude, I eat salads a lot of days. Chopping up romaine takes about 8 seconds, I bought I bought this thing for Cherry Tomatoes, and as for other vegetables I've dabbled with literally cutting up all my vegetables into a big bowl a few days in advance and just sprinkling on a mixture. But you do you, playa. 

Holy shit. You jack that thing off rather than just using a knife and a board? Okay.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. I buy pre packaged salads. Not the dole shit in a bag, but usually a Caesar. I grill chicken and add. Sometimes add red onions. And my own dressing..Yes dumping the entire thing out onto a cutting board, chopping with a chefs knife for five minutes and then squeegeeing everything into a bowl and having a dirty cutting board that won't fit in the dishwasher is more effort than I want to put forth. Don't make me get all Passive Aggressive Coach on you guys for not understanding my pain. Seems like there would be a salad bowl container type of device for exactly this but I have yet to find one. 

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

No. I buy pre packaged salads. Not the dole shit in a bag, but usually a Caesar. I grill chicken and add. Sometimes add red onions. And my own dressing..Yes dumping the entire thing out onto a cutting board, chopping with a chefs knife for five minutes and then squeegeeing everything into a bowl and having a dirty cutting board that won't fit in the dishwasher is more effort than I want to put forth. Don't make me get all Passive Aggressive Coach on you guys for not understanding my pain. Seems like there would be a salad bowl container type of device for exactly this but I have yet to find one. 

Do they have these where you live?

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/taylor-farms-steakhouse-wedge-chopped-salad-kit-12-87-oz/4868023

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This. W. T. F.

But try just using kitchen shears to cut up your salad in the bowl. Or get someone to toss your salet for you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another tip, and I will stop breaking your salad balls.  This is fairly easy and will save you some money.

Get a couple of these and they work well in the dishwasher.  They will work on top of your kitchen block.

https://www.amazon.com/Epicurean-Kitchen-Cutting-Board-Nutmeg/dp/B003IP2PXE/ref=asc_df_B003IP2PXE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060092138&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4982911277799924303&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028274&hvtargid=pla-348414541613&th=1

You'll need a sharp knife and one that will stay sharp with regular honing.  There's another thread, but I'm happy to recommend something if you need it.

Edited by tigol
More stuff.

16 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I think i saw your bad idea get snubbed on Shark Tank.  Fullstar?   Seems like flexible plastic cutting board would fix your dishwasher issue.

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I put like 20 of them in my salad, but point taken. My original point was using a food processer actually seems like it creates more work and takes longer .

I love tomatoes.  I've heard for years they are bad for me.  I don't want to read the science.  

6ad52fe04b67321c5489de56f213fc49.jpg

On the left a micro plane that is indispensable for zesting citrus, shaving Parmesan,etc. you can zest a lemon in about 15 seconds into zest dust.

The other is a shrimp deveined. Notice the little blade on the tip. It strips the vein and deshells the whole shrimp; I can blast through a bowl of 15-21s with zero hassle. I eat more shrimp now.

Both on Amazon

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I mean it's not something I would expect Mark Cuban to invest billions in or anything but you're telling me, despite the enjoyment of the good old fashioned surly dogpile here, that it wouldn't be a useful tool to have a plastic bowl - basically a salad spinner - that you could put whole romaine leaves, whole tomatoes, a half a cucumber and some onion in, crank a handle a couple of times, and you have a mixed, chopped salet? I would pay $19.95 for that and buy 1 get 1 free off of late night TV. 

Show of hands, how many here, on a Tuesday at 1:30 between meetings, are dumping this out on a cutting board, julienning vegetables with a chefs knife, while humming Pavarotti? More power to you. I'm not. I am giving this a try. My plight is not something to be ridiculed, these are real world fucking problems. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AEH634/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

51804843852_27dd86fdf9_c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2021 at 8:58 AM, Johnny Sack said:

I have a GE Opal that makes the soft sonic type ice.  It is reasonably priced, puts out plenty of ice, and is easy to clean.  Love it.

https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-Profile-Opal-2-0-Nugget-Ice-Maker-XPIO23SCSS?gclid=CjwKCAiAksyNBhAPEiwAlDBeLDOW4IkM8eM4wfaVgbjb1UsxQPgLtJlpz0bb0CZ0pgRQ-mgdto1nAhoCrxEQAvD_BwE

got one of these for Christmas, enjoying a delicious glass of iced tea right now, 5 stars

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I mean it's not something I would expect Mark Cuban to invest billions in or anything but you're telling me, despite the enjoyment of the good old fashioned surly dogpile here, that it wouldn't be a useful tool to have a plastic bowl - basically a salad spinner - that you could put whole romaine leaves, whole tomatoes, a half a cucumber and some onion in, crank a handle a couple of times, and you have a mixed, chopped salet? I would pay $19.95 for that and buy 1 get 1 free off of late night TV. 

Show of hands, how many here, on a Tuesday at 1:30 between meetings, are dumping this out on a cutting board, julienning vegetables with a chefs knife, while humming Pavarotti? More power to you. I'm not. I am giving this a try. My plight is not something to be ridiculed, these are real world fucking problems. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AEH634/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What about this:

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Kitchen+Tools/Storage/Salad+Cutting+Bowl/100086

• Like 1

I have something similar to this. I've never used it to make a salad but I don't see why it wouldn't do what you are trying to accomplish. You might have to do the ingredients separately. 

https://www.houzz.com/products/chefn-102-239-011-veggichop-hand-powered-vegetable-chopper-assorted-prvw-vr~155100763?m_refid=Bing_PLA_HZ_155100763&network=s&adgroupid=1308419174743628&campaignid=422229578&creative=&device=m&devicemodel=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=&matchtype=e&placement=&position=&msclkid=d37c9f3c524c1ffd7f68fee4c234c33c

• Like 1

Actually that thing is 2" x 2". Dammit. Foiled again. 

Edit. 2 conflicting specifications on that page. One says it's basically 5.5" x 5.5" x 5.5" and the other says it's 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5". I'm inclined to believe the former but still probably too small. 

Edited by Baboontyme

I'd much rather clean off one knife and a cutting board than clean the contraption you're talking about.  Or do you not clean it and just let it accumulate bacteria for the next use?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Actually that thing is 2" x 2". Dammit. Foiled again. 

Edit. 2 conflicting specifications on that page. One says it's basically 5.5" x 5.5" x 5.5" and the other says it's 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5". I'm inclined to believe the former but still probably too small. 

What about a food processor?

Has anyone discussed a knife and a dishwasher safe cutting board yet?

This is what I use. I have several cutting boards all dishwasher safe. And a set of Victorinox Swiss steel knives. The 8” chefs knife allows me to process a bin for of vegetables in a few minutes. Wash the greens and spin em up.

I learned how to handle a chefs knife when I was about nine watching Graham Kerr on TV. It’s simple really.