Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

Speaking of cutting boards, I hadn't ventured into this thread before but let me tell you about this cutting board I love

https://www.amazon.com/Sani-Tuff-All-Rubber-Cutting-Board-12x18x1/dp/B0078RXASW?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It's rubber. Not plastic. Like it so much that I bought 2. Not because I need 2 but because my wife ruined the first one by putting it in the dishwasher, which will ruin it. But it's big and soft and easy on knives and easy to clean and requires no maintenance. I have a couple of little epicurean richlite boards as well for small/quick/dishwasher, and a big walnut board that i haven't used even once, and this guy that I pull out whenever I'm getting ready to do some actual cooking.

https://www.gq.com/story/rubber-cutting-board-professional-chefs-swear-by

Also I'm catching up but I've been converted by r/castiron to just washing my raw cast iron with actual soap and water (and popping back on the stove to get completely dry). However I've renewed my love affair with enameled cast iron and have been using the shit out of the big orange le creuset i bought with my first paycheck when I moved into my own place. But actually my favorite piece of cookware might be the 2.25 enameled saucepan.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Actually that thing is 2" x 2". Dammit. Foiled again. 

Edit. 2 conflicting specifications on that page. One says it's basically 5.5" x 5.5" x 5.5" and the other says it's 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5". I'm inclined to believe the former but still probably too small. 

Mine is probably 7 inches or so across and 5 inches deep. Just search on Amazon for hand powered food processor. 

We just did a kitchen reno. Strong rec for the Delta faucets touch control. Touching anywhere on the faucet (except the spray head) or faucet handle turns it on/off. I didn't think I'd like it at first but the wife ordered it.

Also because of supply issues we installed one Bosch and one Miele dishwasher. Both are good except I like the Miele better because its 3rd rack is much more functional, and in general all the racks are better than Bosch's. You can't tell the dw's are mismatched due to the custom panel. We did 2 dishwashers and 2 sinks (one is pantry-sized, and the other is a large one in the island) and it's been awesome for us although if you don't have an espresso machine and/or 2 people in the kitchen at the same time, 2 sinks are probably overkill.

Also the "Super Susan" corner cabinet is great.

Edited by Chopper

Chopped salet talk, not going away. Some new appliances & accessories were purchased and experimented with. 

The salet

51804843852_27dd86fdf9_c.jpg

The baseline method

51813924112_bd8763912b_z.jpg51815599415_b2306447d6_z.jpg

51814987863_ef273a0b67_z.jpg

Method 2 - the way they do it at the salet places using This Thing

51815223949_3d4276ae52_z.jpg

51815219264_c609919aa8_z.jpg

Method 3 using This Thing

51814983613_d89445f914_z.jpg

51814981783_13449dcf64_z.jpg

Honestly method 3 wins, no contest. Very easy to rinse out the thing and no other cutting needed. The fineness of the chop is superior, as well. This thing was the largest "bowl" I could find in an appliance of this sort - supposed to hold 10 cups. You can see an individual salet barely fits in it. Would not work if you were trying to chop up a salad for the entire family, but for my lunches it's pretty perfect. We'll see if I'm still using it in a month or if I have reverted to method 2, or dare I say method 1 like a caveman. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

OXO Good Grips Can Opener + Reviews | Crate and Barrel

I found an old school hand crank can opener in a drawer and tossed that electric thing. 

The electric one gets left out on the counter, has a plug, gets dirty, and takes up space. Its also ugly and offers no efficiencies. If it looked like R2D2, that would be cool, but it doesn't. 

Old school hand crank is the way to go. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

There are a lot of things i disagree with my wife on when it comes to the kitchen. When we moved into the new house and redid the kitchen, she held the line on "nothing lives on the counter" (except for the coffeemaker, the toaster, and the kitchenaid) and was 1000% correct. I've never seen a need to improve on the OG can opener design.

Also I guess I should eat more salets but I didn't know the pre made ones were so complicated.

OG can opener for the win and it's hilarious to confuse basically anyone under 25 with it.

Why does the salad lettuce require being chopped so small?  Are you 7?  Chop your onions like an adult, dice the chicken, half the tomatoes and mix that in with the lettuce. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Agree on the superiority of hand powered can openers but the old design can certainly be improved.

We use this: a Kuhn Rikon unit that cuts the rim of the can, leaving a smooth edged can and smooth edged lid. No cuts. And the lid goes right back down on the can if you need to store it.

It’s got five other tools on it so it’s not a unitasker either. Best tool in our drawer.

https://kuhnrikonshop.com/products/auto-safety-master-opener-black?variant=33781157101700

47 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

I found an old school hand crank can opener in a drawer and tossed that electric thing. 

The electric one gets left out on the counter, has a plug, gets dirty, and takes up space. Its also ugly and offers no efficiencies. If it looked like R2D2, that would be cool, but it doesn't. 

Aren't you fancy?  Old school P-38 is the way to go.

1024px-P-38_Can_Opener.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Agree on the superiority of hand powered can openers but the old design can certainly be improved.

We use this: a Kuhn Rikon unit that cuts the rim of the can, leaving a smooth edged can and smooth edged lid. No cuts. And the lid goes right back down on the can if you need to store it.

It’s got five other tools on it so it’s not a unitasker either. Best tool in our drawer.

https://kuhnrikonshop.com/products/auto-safety-master-opener-black?variant=33781157101700

Took me 20 minutes to figure out how that thing worked.  Bourbon was involved. 

1 hour ago, LW Goatman said:

We got an OXO manual can opener 20 years ago and I've never missed an electric.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We have this... Oxo smooth edge opener. It's hilarious to watch anyone who doesn't know how to use it try and open a can. 

img95c.jpg

That's the one I have.  It takes some getting used to, but works great.  I can't even imagine having an electric can opener.

Only appliances on the counter are coffee maker and vacuum sealer, both of which get used multiple times a day.

4 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

Offers no efficiencies? Doesn’t yours have a magnet to hang on to the top of the can for easy removal? That’s a lot more efficient than trying to grab the lid just as it lifts up at the end of the manual open, or having to pry it up with a knife blade if you’re late and it falls back in the can. Plus sometimes the manual opener doesn’t completely detach the lid.

I have one of each. I don’t know when I got the manual opener but I only use it for large cans. I’ve had the electric opener longer, since 1987. It’s not pretty but it’s clean and still works like a charm. It’s a Black & Decker. I got a Black & Decker toaster oven at the same time and only replaced it a month or so ago. With another Black & Decker. It probably won’t need to last as long as the first one did in order to last me the rest of my life.

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Offers no efficiencies? Doesn’t yours have a magnet to hang on to the top of the can for easy removal? That’s a lot more efficient than trying to grab the lid just as it lifts up at the end of the manual open, or having to pry it up with a knife blade if you’re late and it falls back in the can. Plus sometimes the manual opener doesn’t completely detach the lid.

I typically leave the last portion of the lid attached if an edge folds upwards, easy to grab and lift. If the entire lid plops in just push down on one side and it pops up. Shits not that hard. 

19 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

51813924112_bd8763912b_z.jpg

Honestly method 3 wins, no contest. Very easy to rinse out the thing and no other cutting needed. The fineness of the chop is superior, as well. This thing was the largest "bowl" I could find in an appliance of this sort - supposed to hold 10 cups. You can see an individual salet barely fits in it. Would not work if you were trying to chop up a salad for the entire family, but for my lunches it's pretty perfect. We'll see if I'm still using it in a month or if I have reverted to method 2, or dare I say method 1 like a caveman. 

I think I can solve your problem.  Get a bigger cutting board.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I think I can solve your problem.  Get a bigger cutting board.

thin plastic mini boards are my most-used boards.  big wooden blocks only comes out for dinner.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:17 PM, Mo Horn said:

We have this... Oxo smooth edge opener. It's hilarious to watch anyone who doesn't know how to use it try and open a can. 

img95c.jpg

we use the vertical/traditional oxo snap-lock.  works great.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

thin plastic mini boards are my most-used boards.  big wooden blocks only comes out for dinner.

we use the vertical/traditional oxo snap-lock.  works great.

I bought the version with the knob on top, because I'm the only right-handed person in the house.

OXO customer support is amazing. We had some silicon tongs that were a couple years old and the spring broke. I emailed and asked 'em if there was a way to replace the spring and they sent a new pair, no questions asked. I've read they'll replace pretty much anything if you email them with a problem. They didn't ask for a receipt or anything about the purchase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

OXO customer support is amazing. We had some silicon tongs that were a couple years old and the spring broke. I emailed and asked 'em if there was a way to replace the spring and they sent a new pair, no questions asked. I've read they'll replace pretty much anything if you email them with a problem. They didn't ask for a receipt or anything about the purchase.

every time i read a story like this i just feel like how the company is selling something at 2x COGS so they can afford to send me the replacement product at break-even.

but OXO is great tho... keep wanting to buy their (parent companys) stock HELE

On 1/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, LW Goatman said:

I typically leave the last portion of the lid attached if an edge folds upwards, easy to grab and lift. If the entire lid plops in just push down on one side and it pops up. Shits not that hard. 

It demonstrates an inefficiency in the manual opener. Of course it’s not difficult to work around. But my electric opener completely removes the top every time and holds it while I remove the can. And it’s faster than the manual opener. If we had a contest to see who could open a case of standard sized cans more quickly, setting the can aside and throwing the top in the trash, with me using my electric opener and you using your manual opener, I would beat you decisively. It wouldn’t be close. (And no, you can’t wear gloves.)

My opener is 35 years old. There are probably newer ones that work even faster. It’s not a big deal because who opens that many cans at one time? A manual opener is perfectly fine. Just don’t try to say an electric opener isn’t more efficient because it most certainly is. 

24 minutes ago, elfenix said:

which kit is this?

Think it is homemade, watched my kid ordered the various pieces and hot glue the magnets on the bottom.

EDIT - hers is different and that looks like Container Store to me.  https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/spice-racks-jars/matte-black-round-magnetic-tins/12d?p=0&ps=32&productId=11012563

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

57 minutes ago, elfenix said:

which kit is this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQT1PTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_2PnfS6RiPIkDb

x2. We’ll probably get another one after I get some chaat masala and then we run into some other weird spice we need. Apparently these are held on with a million command strips- my wife led the charge on this one.

For clarity - obviously the individual tins are magnetic (and didn’t require gluing), the big metal boards are attached to the door with command strips, which was what my wife did rather than use screws or whatever came with it.

I like this set fine - the lids can be a little finicky but I imagine that is always true. I would recommend being consistent with the orientation of the letters on the label and the holes on the side of the lid, so that you can quickly spot check and know that no individuals in your household attached a spice container to the door with the shaker holes exposed (and the holes facing down).

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

We just did a kitchen reno. Strong rec for the Delta faucets touch control. Touching anywhere on the faucet (except the spray head) or faucet handle turns it on/off. I didn't think I'd like it at first but the wife ordered it.
Also because of supply issues we installed one Bosch and one Miele dishwasher. Both are good except I like the Miele better because its 3rd rack is much more functional, and in general all the racks are better than Bosch's. You can't tell the dw's are mismatched due to the custom panel. We did 2 dishwashers and 2 sinks (one is pantry-sized, and the other is a large one in the island) and it's been awesome for us although if you don't have an espresso machine and/or 2 people in the kitchen at the same time, 2 sinks are probably overkill.
Also the "Super Susan" corner cabinet is great.

Going to have to respectfully disagree about the touch faucet. We've had ours for six years and it sucks now. Half of the time you have to hit the stem five or six times before the water comes on and that is with fresh new batteries. When the time comes, we won't be relaxing with a touch style. I'm pretty sure we went pretty high quality like Grohe also.

In short, the theory is great, but the carry through is not so awesome.

5 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Going to have to respectfully disagree about the touch faucet.

Just a WAG but the technology has improved in the past 6 years. Also Delta's technology is better than the alternatives, per the showroom salesperson. It's been flawless over the past 3 months or so. 

We have a Delta... Trinsic it looks like. I love the touch for when I'm washing dishes, but I did have to train myself to always turn the faucet off when I'm walking away from it (after several times myself and also my wife touching something in the sink, brushing against the faucet, and getting soaked). I have decided it is super goddamn annoying with the batteries - I may see if I can get someone to connect it to the power, which I believe should be possible. Anyways - we remodeled the kitchen after we bought the house last December, and it's worked fine for that long but it sucks when the batteries are low.

It demonstrates an inefficiency in the manual opener. Of course it’s not difficult to work around. But my electric opener completely removes the top every time and holds it while I remove the can. And it’s faster than the manual opener. If we had a contest to see who could open a case of standard sized cans more quickly, setting the can aside and throwing the top in the trash, with me using my electric opener and you using your manual opener, I would beat you decisively. It wouldn’t be close. (And no, you can’t wear gloves.)
My opener is 35 years old. There are probably newer ones that work even faster. It’s not a big deal because who opens that many cans at one time? A manual opener is perfectly fine. Just don’t try to say an electric opener isn’t more efficient because it most certainly is. 

I can open cans 2 to your 1 with my manual opener and it won’t have any sharp edges, and it can go in my dishwasher. Can openers are usually the nastiest inch in the kitchen. How do you clean your electric opener?

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

We have a Delta... Trinsic it looks like. I love the touch for when I'm washing dishes, but I did have to train myself to always turn the faucet off when I'm walking away from it (after several times myself and also my wife touching something in the sink, brushing against the faucet, and getting soaked). I have decided it is super goddamn annoying with the batteries - I may see if I can get someone to connect it to the power, which I believe should be possible. Anyways - we remodeled the kitchen after we bought the house last December, and it's worked fine for that long but it sucks when the batteries are low.

Sorry looks like i'm the asshole here. The faucets the wife purchased are Brizo which may or may not be owned by Delta. It has a 9v adapter, which you can also purchase separately but it comes with (standard) a battery compartment (underneath the sink).

The retraining I had to do was to remember that the other faucets in the house aren't touch operated. That took about a week.

My wife does most of the cooking and she loves them, so really that's good enough for me. But overall I find them very convenient.

Edited by Chopper