Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

14 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

What are the must have pots & pans for a daughter (no pics) moving into her first real adult apartment?  Brand?  Type?  We have a combination of D3 All-Clad and some older stuff. I like stainless for the durability and ease of use.  Opinions?

https://www.costco.com/gotham-steel-pro-non-stick-8-piece-hard-anodized-cookware-set.product.100812723.html

you can't beat this deal, $70 for 8 piece set

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
Who doesn't use some kind of oil to cook?

Okay, enough oil. I don't know what the problem is as ours works just fine. My wife does tend to over scrub them though which removes some of the non-stick each time.

I can't figure it out, either.  I bought a good one (de Buyer) and followed the instructions to season it.  It works OK for fried eggs, but forget it for scrambled.  Just a fucked up mess that takes 20 minutes to clean when you're done.  So we still have 1 nonstick pan just for eggs.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:
Who doesn't use some kind of oil to cook?

Okay, enough oil. I don't know what the problem is as ours works just fine. My wife does tend to over scrub them though which removes some of the non-stick each time.

Man, I stripped and re-seasoned mine several times.  I was determined to make it work, but had to throw in the towel.  It just became a beating to deal with.  I bought a $100 non-stick All Clad 2 skillet set and I'm really happy with them.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I can't figure it out, either.  I bought a good one (de Buyer) and followed the instructions to season it.  It works OK for fried eggs, but forget it for scrambled.  Just a fucked up mess that takes 20 minutes to clean when you're done.  So we still have 1 nonstick pan just for eggs.

Yep, mine is de Buyer.  Maybe they are shit?

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

more butter

On 6/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 6/6/2022 at 12:36 AM, Texzilla58 said:

First real place? Does she cook? Does she clean? I’d go cheap. Let her figure out real cookware when she’s old enough to appreciate it. I’d go to Sam’s and go with either their members mark hard anodized 15 pc set for $129 or 11pc ceramic coated for $149. It’s very good stuff, better than what 90% of American households have, and will easily last until she is ready to decide what she wants in better stuff. It’s durable as hell and easy to clean, dishwasher safe, oven safe. Both sets look great.

As an aside I don’t see any talk around here about carbon steel skillets vs cast iron. I plan to get a couple.

I've been disappointed in the carbon steel pan I bought. Got it for eggs because we want to get away from nonstick pans altogether, but even after seasoning, cooking bacon in it, etc, eggs still stick. And scrambled eggs make such a mess that it takes forever to clean.

I've got one (10") Matfer Bourget that I only use for omelettes and it's fine.  It has the lightest of season on it (gold; not black), and it works really well.  But on my larger, more do it all c/s pan, I finally realized that I had to hit it with the chain mail scrub to make sure any stuck on food gets removed.  Since I use induction, heating it up more slowly is key.  Then, some maintenance seasoning after cleaning.  Wipe the oil off like you never meant to put it on there in the first place, then wipe it some more.  I'll leave the pan on the back burner on setting 2 for 10--20 minutes.  It doesn't have to smoke to polymerize the oil.  I've had great results once I realized that keeping them smooth and free of anything that might have gotten burnt on was the trick.  Also, with eggs and other proteins, you need to leave them alone for a bit so they cook enough to release from the pan.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

What are the must have pots & pans for a daughter (no pics) moving into her first real adult apartment?  Brand?  Type?  We have a combination of D3 All-Clad and some older stuff. I like stainless for the durability and ease of use.  Opinions?

Check out the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro line.  Very good stuff but not expensive.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd just use my stainless if the carbon steel wasn't working. I'll never buy another non-stick pan.

I actually never plan on buying another pan ever. All-clad D3, deBuyer, and Staub. Love all of them and none will ever wear out.
Yeah, I've got All Clad stainless, Le Creuset, cast iron and the egg pan. You could never do scrambled eggs in stainless, though. Would be a disaster.

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

America's Test Kitchen just did a shootout and said the OXO Nonstick Pro was the best 12" skillet.  Price probably factored in (~ $45).

Bought this - can agree the shit nonstick I owned before this were NOTHING compared to this OXO one. I will never buy any nonstick but OXO again. I am pretty sure I can't stick glue or gorilla tape to this pan.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/5/2022 at 11:21 PM, CycleTex87 said:

IMHO if you're not buying All-Clad, go with one of the stainless that ATK recommends (video here), the Tramontina Tri-ply. We got this for our mountain house because my wife thought I was nuts to want ANOTHER set of All-Clad for there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

$30 at costco, love them.

https://www.costco.com/granitestone-diamond-pro-stainless-steel-tri-ply-non-stick-saute-pans%2C-2-piece-set.product.100769312.html

My old non stocks were a pain to clean.

For nonstick, I do have an AMT and a Scanpan, and I can fry eggs in those with no oil.

Most of my pans are De Buyer, I like them for general use over cast iron simply because lighter weight.

Properly seasoned, and cooked with hot pan/hot oil before adding food, you shouldn't be sticking to the food. Is it possible you're adding too much egg at once so you're bringing the pan temp down too far when you add food, or you aren't preheating the pan long enough? When your eggs stick, it is only around the edges or only in the center, or does it stick everywhere in the pan? Carbon steel, being thinner, has less stored heat than an equivalent size cast iron, and will lose more temp when you add food. (I keep a heavy cast iron skillet for stove searing just for this reason.)

See 5:50 for scrambled eggs leaving his cast iron pan, completely clean release:

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Bought this - can agree the shit nonstick I owned before this were NOTHING compared to this OXO one. I will never buy any nonstick but OXO again. I am pretty sure I can't stick glue or gorilla tape to this pan.

people are spending *WAY* too much on something that should be a disposable item in your kitchen. spending more than about 50/60 on a nonstick is spending too much money.

i actually need a new nonstick soon and will be buying the OXO one now, thank y'all for the reviews.

In fact - I was looking hard at the Cuisinart stuff.  We still have a few of the Revereware pans that I got 35 years ago.  Looking for a similar deal here. 
I have the French Classic which is the same stuff pretty much, only made in France instead of China. It has been solid

22 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

IMHO if you're not buying All-Clad, go with one of the stainless that ATK recommends (video here), the Tramontina Tri-ply. We got this for our mountain house because my wife thought I was nuts to want ANOTHER set of All-Clad for there. 

Good call. Went this way with the Tramontina. 

legit copper bourgeat from lyon or nothing, bitches.
IMG_2558.thumb.jpg.b2383b513164ebfb1b148d7da11452a9.jpg
IMG_0429.thumb.jpg.445e7ba2a0f0ad27dd4c224e0c47d61a.jpg
IMG_6770.thumb.jpg.d25de20d9f9280f9bbdb103ce9fe1d0e.jpg

To be honest, I want nothing to do with that. The hot spots are so hot. I would burn everything in on that. I’m impressed with people that can consistently cook food on those.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Love my carbon steel wok.  Gas on the countertop just doesn't get hot enough/fast enough. Got a wok burner similar to this and it rocks.  Gets the center of the wok glowing red in 5 seconds. Have it setup next to the gas grill so I can connect to the propane.  Stir-fry done in 3 minutes. 

burner

Oh, and for the shaved ice, go big or go home and get something like this...  Not just for snow cones but for drinks, a bed to put oysters on the half shell on, etc...Ice shaver 

I have a Kitchen aid as well but no way would I spend the time with that attachment...

Edited by Grimas

11 hours ago, Da Fino said:

To be honest, I want nothing to do with that. The hot spots are so hot. I would burn everything in on that. I’m impressed with people that can consistently cook food on those.

no hot spots on these.  they have near-perfectly even conductivity which is a big part of their appeal/expense.

downside, each of your arms better be able to curl 250lbs.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

I thought I read about the Breville One-Touch Tea Maker in this thread but maybe not because a search didn't turn up the post or posts. Forgive me if I'm doubling up what already was posted. The One-Touch doubles as a kettle but its automated tea brewing is the star. A tea aficionado already would already heat the h2o to the proper temp and then brew for the proper amount of time but this automates the process at the touch of a button. I'm amazed at how much better tea brewed with it tastes over our old process - a kettle, a copper filter and a porcelain tea pot. We've been drinking assorted fruit teas at night from french tea-maker Kusmi (internet order) and can't recommend them strongly enough either.

Edited by Chopper

49 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

This is a good area to talk about Miele products. Their ovens, ranges and steam ovens are incredible. The refrigerators and coffee makers are complete shit.

Not a kitchen appliance, but we have a Miele canister vacuum cleaner we bought over 20 years ago, and that thing still runs like a champ.  Would buy again, except I'll probably be pushing up daisies before it does.

15 hours ago, Da Fino said:

This is a good area to talk about Miele products. Their ovens, ranges and steam ovens are incredible. The refrigerators and coffee makers are complete shit.

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I hope their dishwashers are good because I have one sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

I bought a miele G7156 model about a year ago, with auto-open and a cutlery rack, and it is really great. We also have a higher end Bosch and the Miele's rack configuration and auto-open are definitively superior. The Bosch is great too but the Miele is a step above. It's panel-ready but I had to get our cabinetry guy to install the panel because neither the dw installer nor my plumber could figure it out.  Not sure if your model has the salt distributor for hard water but I ignored mine for a few months which led to having to bypass the "salt empty" message on the settings. I finally got around to purchasing a bag of dw salt off amazon for ~$2 and it hasn't required a refill for at least 6 months.

I also have a miele washer and dryer. It wasn't my first choice because the drums are smaller than I'd like but we unexpectedly had to replace our existing set right when the pandemic's initial inventory crunch hit and my choice was basically either miele or samsung. The washer has an automatic detergent dispenser using canisters purchased from miele. Not cheap but has some benefits. Also the washer cleans way better than our old LG front-loader ever did.

• Like 1

Someone tell me what counterdepth fridge won’t suck. I am getting Samsung to buy a two year old model back from me becsue they can’t repair it/can’t exchange it. So I’m getting the whole purchase price refunded to me. So obviously no Samsung. 

The Fridge needs to be stainless to match our other appliances (we inherited GE profile appliances that were about 15 years old when we bought the house, have replaced the dishwasher (KitchenAid) and fridge since then), and I need a legit ice maker. Other than that, I’m open. 

Someone tell me what counterdepth fridge won’t suck. I am getting Samsung to buy a two year old model back from me becsue they can’t repair it/can’t exchange it. So I’m getting the whole purchase price refunded to me. So obviously no Samsung. 

The Fridge needs to be stainless to match our other appliances (we inherited GE profile appliances that were about 15 years old when we bought the house, have replaced the dishwasher (KitchenAid) and fridge since then), and I need a legit ice maker. Other than that, I’m open. 
We've had a counter depth KitchenAid for about 7 years that has been solid so far. Looks pretty nice and does what we need it to do. It'll probably die now that I say that.
  • Like 1