Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We shut ours off at the street (well several yards in off the street in the front yard). If there's one closer to the house, I'm not sure where it is.

We are going to consider installing an auto water shutoff device (such as FLO by Moen) as well.

They've got smart alarms to that you can put in bathrooms, etc.

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

They've got smart alarms to that you can put in bathrooms, etc.

They have dumb alarms too.  I have Leak Frogs under the kitchen sink and in the attic next to the HVAC unit.  Water touches the sensor and they make a shit ton of noise.  They are thwarted leaks in both locations over the years.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

They have dumb alarms too.  I have Leak Frogs under the kitchen sink and in the attic next to the HVAC unit.  Water touches the sensor and they make a shit ton of noise.  They are thwarted leaks in both locations over the years.

For sure.  I mentioned the smart ones since we were talking about shutting off water to the house when going out of town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

We shut ours off at the street (well several yards in off the street in the front yard). If there's one closer to the house, I'm not sure where it is.

We are going to consider installing an auto water shutoff device (such as FLO by Moen) as well.

The 2021 Snowmaggedon in Dallas was something else.  Lot of peeps had frozen pipes/ no tools to get things turned off.  Heard stories about the big plumbing companies charging a ton to shut water lines off. 

Seems that in the M-Streets some of the water meter/ shutoffs are in the alley, while others are on the street.  Had a few neighbors that had boxes full of dirt, and had to dig way down to get to the cutoff.

Here's the key that worked on the covers (got it at Home Depot), and then an adjustable wrench to close the valve.

Key.jpg.4859a48eaa4e1d4fbce32d5db7184c72.jpg

Edited by LosIllini
...double post
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, LosIllini said:

The 2021 Snowmaggedon in Dallas was something else.  Lot of peeps had frozen pipes/ no tools to get things turned off.  Heard stories about the big plumbing companies charging a ton to shut water lines off. 

Seems that in the M-Streets some of the water meter/ shutoffs are in the alley, while others are on the street.  Had a few neighbors that had boxes full of dirt, and had to dig way down to get to the cutoff.

Here's the key that worked on the covers (got it at Home Depot), and then an adjustable wrench to close the valve.

Key.jpg.4859a48eaa4e1d4fbce32d5db7184c72.jpg

Yes, this is what you need. There were a couple of good samaritans who were driving around the Park Cities and shutting off people's water who needed it. Thankfully, we never lost power over by Love Field. After that went down, my wife ordered a key off Amazon but it doesn't work for ours -- think it's a California key or something. LOL

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yes, this is what you need. There were a couple of good samaritans who were driving around the Park Cities and shutting off people's water who needed it. Thankfully, we never lost power over by Love Field. After that went down, my wife ordered a key off Amazon but it doesn't work for ours -- think it's a California key or something. LOL

I made a bunch of phone calls in a very short period of time when I needed one and couldn’t find one.  My theory at the time was the plumbers PAC greased the wheels in Austin to make it difficult.  Thankfully we had a friend somewhere near your hood who was spending the holidays in the Caymans and let us crash at their place until the issue was resolved.  Pier and beam thankfully, so no insurance claim necessary, but we had to pump out below the house before they could get down there and work.  The leak was discovered on Xmas eve, which complicated things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 8:08 PM, tx 3 putt said:

i have a gas stove. just general purpose, it'll get used a lot

First decide what type of pan you want - tri-ply stainless, enamel coated steel, carbon fiber, non stick are the top choices, imo. Your selection should be based on life style and cooking needs.  For example if you want bullet proof and dishwasher safe, tri-ply stainless is the best choice. But it's not necessarily the best/easiest for what and how you cook. Once you select what type of pan https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/frying-pan-guide/, then come back here for suggestions or search for articles about how to choose the best pan of that particular type.

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

carbon fiber

I'm assuming you meant carbon steel. 

And to the previous question, it seems like @tx 3 putt needs a few pans to cook some shit on a gas stove.  And while that's pretty vague, this is what I'd suggest.

1 - 12" carbon steel pan.  I have matfer bourgeat, and it's been good.  But there are other brands.  This is your frying pan.  Season it right and it's pretty well nonstick.  So you could do anything that needs pan frying or searing from burgers to steaks to eggs.  You can't soak it, or it will rust, but treat it okay, and it will last forever.

1 stainless 3-ply 5.5 quart saute pan with lid. 

1 stainless 3-ply sauce pan with a lid or a cast iron dutch oven or a 6 quart plus stock pot. 

On this last one, we're going to need to know what you're really looking for.  The first two are about 95% of what I use although I have different sizes of pans.  But between frying pan and saute, that's most of it.  The last one is the three other things I use most and none really substitutes for the other.  So if you were just looking for frying pan recommendations, let us know.  But as general purpose cookware goes, that's as stripped down a list as I can come up with.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I agree. When I upgraded all of my game to SS (and cast iron skillet, of course) I thought I would be cool and eschew non-stick. And then I remembered I like not working too hard sometimes on just simple foods/meals and saving my energy for more ambitious cooking. And I also like eggs.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't imagine not having a good nonstick skillet, even if it doesn't come with a lid.  Go to Ace Mart and drop $50 or so on a 10-12" pro model with an oven-proof handle, up to 425 F or so.  You'll use the shit out of it.

Curious what you're making w/ a nonstick in the oven?  I have a stainless (probably tri?) and 2 cast iron for my steaks and pork loins and what not.  My philosophy on nonstick has been to stay in the $30 range from Target or even HEB, use it for 3-4 years and get another.  I have one 10" for eggs and a 12" for veggies.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

And I also like eggs

If you guys are getting more than a few years out of these things, my hat's off to you.  But if not, a 10" T-Fal professional was $24 last month, heats evenly, can go in the oven up to 400F, works with induction, and will last about that long.  I use it for scrambled eggs and really not much more than that.  I do omelets in a 10" carbon steel that's reserved only for omelets though.

Edited by dcbc

13 hours ago, Mittens said:

Curious what you're making w/ a nonstick in the oven?  I have a stainless (probably tri?) and 2 cast iron for my steaks and pork loins and what not.  My philosophy on nonstick has been to stay in the $30 range from Target or even HEB, use it for 3-4 years and get another.  I have one 10" for eggs and a 12" for veggies.

Nothing I cook on nonstick would start in the oven, but if I'm doing something like a fritatta (eggs/potatoes/veggies/cheese) I'll start on the burner to get the potatoes browned and the veggies sauteed, then add in the beaten eggs & cheese and go to the oven to get all the eggy melty goodness going.  You just can't get too hot, my skillet handle is rated for 425 F and I think the nonstick coating is safe to something like 450 F (don't quote me on that).

• Hook 'Em 1

Tossing in my unpopular opinion that my cast iron is probably the thing I could mostly do without. As far as the pots and pans I cook with the most: 

1) Carbon steel wok - large enough to toss around just about anything without worry of a mess and it's seasoned well enough where almost nothing sticks.

2) Stainless skillet for searing - takes less time and heats more evenly than the cast iron

3) Saucier for rice, greens, whatever

4) Small nonstick for eggs

5) Dutch oven for stews/soups/Cajun

My favorite brand lately has been Made In. Quality equipment made in England and France. 

In other news, I recently bought a Work Sharp as my knives were getting a bit lackluster. Spent about half an hour on my Chef's knife, 2 Santokus, steak knives, and paring knife. My Chef's knife is just falling through onions now. Thing of beauty. Highly recommend.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a set of either half-size or 1/4 size aluminum sheetpan with wireracks, and now use it daily. 

full size is overkill and cumbersome, but these smaller ones are great for storing, transporting, prepping, and cooking meals. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I bought a set of either half-size or 1/4 size aluminum sheetpan with wireracks, and now use it daily. 

full size is overkill and cumbersome, but these smaller ones are great for storing, transporting, prepping, and cooking meals. 

I also bought these at Costco. So damn useful / handy. I have a gas stove and often warm up good in it. 

I don't like the depth of the 1/2 size sheet pans.  At 13" x 18", they only fit sideways in my (very standard) 16" x 24" oven.  There's no way to get two on the same rack when I'm cooking for more people, and one up one down often isn't optimal from a browning/crisping perspective.

I'm gonna buy one of the 2/3 size versions, which should fit perfectly (16" x 22").  50% more surface area than the 1/2 size sheet.  (No, the math doesn't work.)

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't like the depth of the 1/2 size sheet pans.  At 13" x 18", they only fit sideways in my (very standard) 16" x 24" oven.  There's no way to get two on the same rack when I'm cooking for more people, and one up one down often isn't optimal from a browning/crisping perspective.

I'm gonna buy one of the 2/3 size versions, which should fit perfectly (16" x 22").  50% more surface area than the 1/2 size sheet.  (No, the math doesn't work.)

2*(24x33cm) is just ever slightly wider than my oven.  but a single sheet fits proteins+veggies for 2 people, which is the main use case.  on an every day basis for storage or prepping they're more useful.

if cooking larger portions i'll use the 2/3rd.  otherwise it hogs awkward space in the washing machine and fridge. 

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

2*(24x33cm) is just ever slightly wider than my oven.  but a single sheet fits proteins+veggies for 2 people, which is the main use case.  on an every day basis for storage or prepping they're more useful.

if cooking larger portions i'll use the 2/3rd.  otherwise it hogs awkward space in the washing machine and fridge. 

Yeah, I'm usually cooking for 3-8 people.  Just a different paradigm.

• 4 weeks later...
Blue Star range and oven getting delivered today. Nowhere close to installing, but still excited to see them. I went with them because they're made in the US and are as simple as simple can be which means less shit to break.
216988584b688cebbc6cb050023fd432.jpg642e9f5d2f083270417549855994b0d4.jpg8ce334f21617eac84642ecc94c586499.jpg8b360a84f82edf6e80a31368aa6b1bce.jpg
Kitchen isn't quite done, but finally got these installed today.09e2961c7e3db102971c63b4c7a481f7.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 8

Bigass sink was my one ask when wife was redoing the kitchen in our house. I do not slightly regret the bigass sink.
It's so great. I can finally wash fullsize pans and cutting boards in it. Would recommend.
You need to break that kitchen in Steel Shank style. 
Not sure I'm worthy.

That’s a nice looking setup. What is going to go in the space on the left (in the picture)?
Coffee area. It has an outlet and a filtered water filler. Originally planned to put the microwave on the shelf, but decided to put it in the pantry to the left. There were also going to be doors on it that folded back in on the sides, but we decided they were more trouble than they were worth so we left it open. It does have under cabinet lighting that's not turned on in that pic.

Here are two pics from the night before after the lighting was finished up.148aef58fddfda5ca32ec137752d12de.jpgc4997b3eea4b1f864afb9ead80383e30.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

Coffee area. It has an outlet and a filtered water filler. Originally planned to put the microwave on the shelf, but decided to put it in the pantry to the left. There were also going to be doors on it that folded back in on the sides, but we decided they were more trouble than they were worth so we left it open. It does have under cabinet lighting that's not turned on in that pic.

Here are two pics from the night before after the lighting was finished up.148aef58fddfda5ca32ec137752d12de.jpgc4997b3eea4b1f864afb9ead80383e30.jpg

Baylor colors. Would not bang.