Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

Change of subject - but I want to see if anyone knows - I want to switch to an induction range (mostly for safety reasons, but we are also switching out all of our cookware to stainless steel), but I need a downdraft vent. I cannot find any with my simple search that combine the two. Has anyone here ever run across that combo?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hornian said:

Change of subject - but I want to see if anyone knows - I want to switch to an induction range (mostly for safety reasons, but we are also switching out all of our cookware to stainless steel), but I need a downdraft vent. I cannot find any with my simple search that combine the two. Has anyone here ever run across that combo?

JennAir makes one, but it's spendy.

https://www.jennair.com/cooktops-and-rangetops/electric-cooktops/downdraft-electric-cooktops/p.euro-style-36”-induction-downdraft-cooktop.jid4436es.html

We're four years in on our induction cooktop, and I still love it.  Silpats keep the scratches away, and it's easy to keep clean with one $5 container of glass cooktop cleaner per year.  The only downside is that you can't beat the snot out of it with your pans like you can on a gas cooktop with cast iron grates.  But otherwise, it's been great with all the control of gas and a lot more efficiency. 

One last tip, the cooling fans on these cooktops will run quite a bit.  We have some hinged spoon drawers below our that I will leave open if I'm doing high heat cooks or long simmers, just to make venting the heat away from the control board easier for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Coffee area. It has an outlet and a filtered water filler. Originally planned to put the microwave on the shelf, but decided to put it in the pantry to the left. There were also going to be doors on it that folded back in on the sides, but we decided they were more trouble than they were worth so we left it open. It does have under cabinet lighting that's not turned on in that pic.

Here are two pics from the night before after the lighting was finished up.148aef58fddfda5ca32ec137752d12de.jpgc4997b3eea4b1f864afb9ead80383e30.jpg

Why the microwave hate? I see this a lot and it’s a valid tool for certain tasks. I don’t want to cook food in a pantry.

It’s like decorators who refuse to acknowledge that television is the maiden hearth and belongs where families gather. Including kitchens.

Very nice kitchen however. The only change I’d make is an overhang a bit on the island for a couple stools. Old age and all.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Why the microwave hate? I see this a lot and it’s a valid tool for certain tasks. I don’t want to cook food in a pantry.

It’s like decorators who refuse to acknowledge that television is the maiden hearth and belongs where families gather. Including kitchens.

Very nice kitchen however. The only change I’d make is an overhang a bit on the island for a couple stools. Old age and all.
We just don't use it much and didn't want to spend the money for a nice one that would be seen all the time. The plug is still there if we ever decide to put one on the shelf.

The island top is black walnut and will have an overhang on the end and a small one around the side by the wall oven.

Our home warranty tends to roughly pay for itself with periodic appliance repairs, but it finally paid off big time.  Our GE Cafe in-wall oven crapped the bed and the control boards are no longer available.  Voila, new oven.  Nothing extravagant, on sale now for $2200, but that's 3 years of monthly warranty payments, and we've had plenty of other stuff serviced over the years.

I'm pretty sure my wife is going to want the matching microwave to replace the stainless version above it, but I'm committed to holding the line on that.  The new oven has a stainless handle, and so they (kinda) match.  Good enough for me.

GE Appliances JTS5000ENES 30" Built-In Convection Wall Oven - Slate

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

We're four years in on our induction cooktop, and I still love it.  Silpats keep the scratches away, and it's easy to keep clean with one $5 container of glass cooktop cleaner per year. 

I’ve read mixed feedback on the silpats as they supposed melt around 450. Have you had problems? I love the shit out of my induction range but it’s starting to get a bit beat up on a year or so in.

4 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I’ve read mixed feedback on the silpats as they supposed melt around 450. Have you had problems? I love the shit out of my induction range but it’s starting to get a bit beat up on a year or so in.

Anyone have tips on cleaning those tops ?

They look beat to hell after about a year or so 

37 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I went full bore with my cast iron pan to sear a steak and had one that did not survive.  But it didn't melt.  It just kind of started to fall apart afterward.  So I don't go that hot anymore and just do the steaks on the grill if I want to  go screaming hot.  I can still get a good sear on the steak on the stove without trying to break records.  That's the only one that has failed in one sitting.

Outside of that, all I can say is that we tend to get a couple of years out of them before they start to look like they've weakened (kind of unraveling), at which point, we replace them.  I'm on my second set of the 12" ones and have 3 8" rounds for the smaller burners, which probably will last a lot longer for the lighter use/duty.

The cooktop has a light scratch or two, but otherwise looks as new (those aren't scratches to the right of the pan, just some spillage that was wiped up during the cook)

3c33e08fd5894711f14026c091a2e621.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Anyone have tips on cleaning those tops ?

They look beat to hell after about a year or so 

ebc4c918-806b-448a-8b03-7ab8ddfdb1b7_1.5

Apply with a paper towel.  Let dry.  Buff with a paper towel.  Wax on.  Wax off. 

If you get something this won't take off, they make scrapers  under this brand name.  But if you keep up with it (a couple of times each week), this stuff is all you need.  It's $5 at WalMart and one bottle lasts us a year and some change.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 1:10 PM, dcbc said:

ebc4c918-806b-448a-8b03-7ab8ddfdb1b7_1.5

Apply with a paper towel.  Let dry.  Buff with a paper towel.  Wax on.  Wax off. 

If you get something this won't take off, they make scrapers  under this brand name.  But if you keep up with it (a couple of times each week), this stuff is all you need.  It's $5 at WalMart and one bottle lasts us a year and some change.

This stuff is the truth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I started using these commercial takeaway plastic containers, both for for food prep and leftover storage. They nest and pack better, theyre durable enough, and they machine wash perfectly clean for reuse. 

i cant really rationalize why but theyre just so much more enjoyable to use than the chunky pyrex/glass versions that we have

SDFC-Take-away-Containers-Takeaway-Food-
B20NL.jpg?20171027045421

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 11:04 AM, 52-80 said:

I started using these commercial takeaway plastic containers, both for for food prep and leftover storage. They nest and pack better, theyre durable enough, and they machine wash perfectly clean for reuse. 

i cant really rationalize why but theyre just so much more enjoyable to use than the chunky pyrex/glass versions that we have

B20NL.jpg?20171027045421

Just fyi, saw this article in Bon Appétit the other day.
Definitely Do Not Put Plastic in the Microwave -- even if it claims to be “microwave-safe.” published September 16, 2023 in

tldr: they give off microplastics. "Microwave safe" is misleading and only refers to plastic types that won’t crack or melt when heated, not their chemical makeup. Supposedly microwave-safe products can still contain bisphenols, phthalates, and plenty of other potentially harmful ingredients. All of the experts spoken to for the article suggest people avoid storing and heating food in plastics altogether.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Definitely Do Not Put Plastic in the Microwave -- even if it claims to be “microwave-safe.” published September 16, 2023 in

tldr: they give off microplastics. "Microwave safe" is misleading and only refers to plastic types that won’t crack or melt when heated, not their chemical makeup. Supposedly microwave-safe products can still contain bisphenols, phthalates, and plenty of other potentially harmful ingredients. All of the experts spoken to for the article suggest people avoid storing and heating food in plastics altogether.

So you’re saying I am dead. Dammit I heard on some movie a couple of weeks or centuries ago that plastics were the future.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaddie said:

So you’re saying I am dead. Dammit I heard on some movie a couple of weeks or centuries ago that plastics were the future.  

Yeah, unless anything I did before a few years ago doesn't matter, RIP.  Hopefully, eschewing nonstick cookware (even the green stuff) for carbon steel makes up for my first 40 years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Same for the dishwasher. If you're going to use plastic food storage, hand wash it.

10 hours ago, Cap33 said:

Same for the dishwasher. If you're going to use plastic food storage, hand wash it.

I'm suddenly not feeling well.  Doomed

Plastic cups are okay, right?  What about wax cups of beer once per year?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, 52-80 said:

B20NL.jpg?20171027045421

This has been the way since before I was born... "Oh, the green beans are in a Country-Crock container in the fridge labeled 'jello salad'"

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, NWBuck said:

This has been the way since before I was born... "Oh, the green beans are in a Country-Crock container in the fridge labeled 'jello salad'"

Haha...my 84 year old mom sends me home with leftovers in Country Crock containers with shit written on them that bears no relation to what is actually in them. Then she hounds me to make sure she gets her containers back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:33 PM, TPCJ007 said:

My grandma used to rinse plastic wrap and stick it to the side of the refrigerator to dry and re-use it later. I asked my folks why and they said she learned it during the great depression.

I'm gonna go with no.

PSA Have a Breville countertop convection oven that we used all the time.  Easier and faster than heating up the main oven.   Well it's finally on its way out after 15+ years of daily use.   Just happened upon The Breville BOV900SS at TJmaxx for $300...  normally $450 ymmv

breville-smart-oven-air-fryer-pro-o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, locodos said:

I'm gonna go with no.

PSA Have a Breville countertop convection oven that we used all the time.  Easier and faster than heating up the main oven.   Well it's finally on its way out after 15+ years of daily use.   Just happened upon The Breville BOV900SS at TJmaxx for $300...  normally $450 ymmv

breville-smart-oven-air-fryer-pro-o.jpg

Breville makes great shit.  We have one of these (the non-air fryer one) and one of their coffee machines.  Both are fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

We have one of those breville ovens, with the air fry function. I'd use it more than our normal oven except it lives on the floor of the pantry and I'm lazy about getting it out.

I've started using the shit out of deli containers, bummed that this thread is going to bully me into hand washing them. I don't heat shit up in them because I'm not a heathen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i can get a generic wireless probe from amazon but... reliability is a concern for a wireless product?

If you really want to nerd out, check out this video reviewing wireless probes.  The Combustion does really well in the tests - second to the Meater+ in the rankings.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you really want to nerd out, check out this video reviewing wireless probes.  The Combustion does really well in the tests - second to the Meater+ in the rankings.

i really want the combustion. Chris Young is legit. Founder/CEO of ChefSteps when they started. I think he exited there when they sold.

but the 8 sensors in their tehermometer has been very interested. i should have purchased at labor day when it was 20% off

• Like 1

I just don't think you are gaining much with wireless unless you have no thermometers currently.  Almost all cookers have ports for wired, so they aren't really that inconvenient on long cooks, and just probing with a thermapen on shorter cooks seems even easier than wireless.  The multiple sensors would probably be pretty cool though.

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I just don't think you are gaining much with wireless unless you have no thermometers currently.  Almost all cookers have ports for wired, so they aren't really that inconvenient on long cooks, and just probing with a thermapen on shorter cooks seems even easier than wireless.  The multiple sensors would probably be pretty cool though.

That is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a wireless probe.  The only justification I can see is for use with the rotisserie - but my Thermapen works fine for that. 

I wish Fireboard would release a wireless probe that could be used with their multi-probe temp doohickey.