Youth Soccer in Austin

I have a 6-year-old son whom we think might have advanced talent in soccer. He started with soccer shots from 2-3, then the typical YMCA path at 4 & 5. He has typically played in the age group two years above his own age because he was just to physically developed for his same-aged peers. It was very stupid, like scoring 12 goals a game and just running back on defense to blank the other team. Many coaches asked for him to be removed so that their teams could get some quality ball time.

Anyway, we moved to Lone Star with the U-8s recreational league and he's still one of the more developed kids on the team despite being in KG and his teammates in 2nd grade. Goals probably average 3 or 4 a game now, still solid on D. What sucks about the Lone Star rec league is that they employ the new ball method, which for those of us who played in the 80s-00s, is pretty wack. Its 4 vs 4 and everytime a ball goes out, a coach throws in a "new ball". No corners, no throw-ins, no tactics whatsoever. He's actually regressed strategically since YMCA. If there is danger, the kids usually just kick the ball 50 yards into the ether, even past their own touchline. 

Point of the post is: my son needs a better league, but we also don't need to spend $500 PER SEASON for early grade school soccer (The lone star academy is $420 + uniforms, etc x 2 seasons/yr). We're not looking to cheap out, but soccer should not be THAT fucking expensive. There's a ball and a shitty aluminum goal. That's it. 

So, any of you dads in this situation where you are having success with a good league that employs traditional soccer tactics, is competitive, but also isn't a roundtrip flight to Europe per season?

TLDR: Looking for a competitive, reasonably priced, soccer league that doesn't utilize Rucker basketball rules for my son. Also, fuck pay-to-play. Now I get why the USMNT fucking sucks.

Edited by Bottlecap

I don't know, but my son is in a similar situation.  He's in Westlake Jr. Academy right now, and I'm not terribly happy with the situation.  He needs to be in select with other kids who take the shit seriously; not just as a "hey, let's run around on the field for an hour."  But they don't start doing select for another year--he's a 2009 birthday, and the youngest they're doing tryouts for right now is 2008s.  So any suggestions would be appreciated.

You will have a tough time finding more quality play for cheaper than the price of LS Jr. Academy.  However, playing in the rec league can be plenty beneficial to his development.  Youth soccer development, as set forth by US Soccer/US Club Soccer, comes in stages.  Even in junior academy the team will not focus on set plays, corners, etc. which are considered more advanced than basic passing, ball control, defending, and shooting.  

I'd keep the kid in his rec league at his age.  He's having fun and learning the basics.  If you want to spend a little more money, look at some of the private trainers that have summer programs like Avila.  Individual player development at his age is much more important that team development. 

ETA:  my experience from having a daughter start in rec, play junior academy, and now playing on a national league select team and in middle school.  What I wouldn't give for $500 a season.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Lonestar is a bit of a gorilla in this area as far as select soccer goes.   They bought out a lot of the original Austin area travel teams (Capitals, Flyers, Longhorns, etc.).   If you want to check out a list of local clubs give http://caysa.org/clubs/ a whirl and do some research on each.  

Personally I'd keep him in rec at his age and keep having him play up but be willing to go to other areas of centex to get a more traditional style and look into private lessons.  If we do in fact land Austin FC, there very well might be an academy that comes with it similar to Dallas and Houston.

In the end though, $500 isn't that expensive.  When I was playing for Caps when they were still around it was $1000+ per season.   We had several kids on "scholarship" in order to stay on the team.

This is one of the benefits of the academy system.  He'll be playing with kids with similar goals/skill levels but because there's so damn many of them in LSA, it allows them to drive the cost down.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Like 1

Yep.  My kid (somehow, not from me, maybe the mailman) remains at the top of his rec league in terms of talent and has started for his school team for 2 years.  He gets a great deal out of both groups.  He could play further up with no problem, and gets "scouted" a lot but he likes playing with his buddies and schoolmates.  

The only other suggestion I'm not sure I saw above was the new school offered by FC Barcelona out at COTA.  I don't know if it's up and running yet.