Tell Me About Baylor

Al_4_ISU

• 1 month later...

Why Baylor's Dave Aranda is unlike any college football coach you know

r1050495_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=920&h=518&s

"I knew, but I didn't know, how different I was," Aranda said. "You live up in your head. So when you do talk, and you let it be known where you're at, what you're thinking and you have that kind of disconnection, that can be quite scary."

That's why Aranda is here in his office in Waco, and not at LSU or any of the other openings where he drew interest this offseason after a 12-2 season, a Big 12 championship, Baylor's first Sugar Bowl victory since 1957 and a No. 5 ranking in the final poll. It's why he signed a contract extension through 2029 to remain in Waco.

Because, he says, a place like Baylor is where Dave Aranda can be exactly who he is.

Full article...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34426714/why-baylor-dave-aranda-unlike-college-football-coach-know

• Hook 'Em 2

Note to @Codaxx 

On Aranda and the 1st to 2nd year turnaround. 

In 2019, Baylor had a good year, going 11-2 and to the Sugar Bowl, but they had seven one score games, and did not beat a ranked team. Rhule was a good coach, who won the games he should have won, but he never beat a ranked team while he was at Baylor.

In 2020, Aranda was taking his first coaching gig at any level, and lost the entire spring camp due to Covid. He made the mistake of hiring Larry Fedora as the offensive coordinator. Fedora's offenses are soft as fuck. He plays like it's seven on seven. Also, Aranda is an extreme introvert, and Fedora had been a head coach for eleven years. Fedora tried to "help Aranda get his feet on the ground." My read was he was trying to be the head coach and shove Aranda into the background. Everything came to a head after the Texas game, when Charlie Brewer, the Baylor QB had more carries than all the running backs combined. Two of the backs, Ebner and Lovett quit the team after that game. They talked Ebner back, and he's playing in the NFL now. They also didn't get to play three soft non-conference games and ended up 2-7. That's why Aranda's first year looked bad after the Sugar Bowl season. BTW, I've only interviewed Fedora once, but if he'd been any bigger a prick Bob Stoops would have sucked him. 

Aranda is a quick learner and fired Fedora after the season, along with most of the offensive staff. He hired Jeff Grimes and Eric Mateos from BYU to run the offense, and they went smash mouth. In the portal, they picked up two new offensive linemen from the portal and got serious into increasing strength training. The O-line went from being a weak link to being the best unit on the team. He installed a new defense, and had a total of five new starters from the portal. Every transfer ended up starting. In 2021, they beat five ranked teams, #4 Oklahoma, #5 Oklahoma State, #8 Ole Miss, #14 Iowa State, and #19 BYU. It was significantly better than 2019 in terms of actual performance. 

FWIW, Aranda is scary smart, but an odd guy. He wouldn't fit on a lot of campuses. 

One other note: Mack Rhoades, the Baylor Athletic Director, gave Rhule a new contract in October, 2019. It was a great contract with an exorbitant buy out clause. The Carolina Panthers ended up paying for Aranda's contract when Rhule left. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Talked to a close relative of Jalen Pitre last week, and he said that Aranda’s defensive schemes made the Texan’s look simple.

That’s because the Texans suck diarrhea through a straw. This coming from someone who has tried hard to be a Texans fan. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Ferk...

On a related note, BU also has the highest percentage of rape-enabling and rape-apologist fans. Briles may be gone but the culture in their fan base enabled Bliss, enabled Briles, and will lead to another sickening episode in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 12:55 PM, nnm said:

On a related note, BU also has the highest percentage of rape-enabling and rape-apologist fans. Briles may be gone but the culture in their fan base enabled Bliss, enabled Briles, and will lead to another sickening episode in the future. 

Had a friend at the bar yesterday ask me why I kept calling them "rapelor." When I kindly reminded him of how the AD, university, university an Waco PDs all covered up and enabled the sexual abuse of women his response was "all schools do it." Now, this friend's is a proud baptist and his dad went to Baylor in the early '50s, but I about spit my beer our at the "everyone rapes" accusation. Umm, no they don't. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Of course Baylor won't comment on this 🙄

Baylor football reportedly fires DC Ron Roberts, safeties coach Ronnie Wheats

By Michael Haag       Dec 2, 2022

Josh-Wilson-0290-768x512.jpg

Baylor football defensive coordinator Ron Roberts on the sideline during the 2022 Allstate Sugar Bowl 

After disappointing play from the Defense and Special Teams units, Baylor football decided to move on from defensive coordinator Ron Roberts along with Safeties and Special Teams Coach Ronnie Wheat on Thursday, as first reported by SicEm365.com.

Baylor athletics would not comment on personnel changes.

Roberts, one of head coach Dave Aranda’s longtime mentors, led a Bears defense that gave up 370.3 yards per game, the fourth-lowest in the Big 12. Baylor also held its opponents to 26.6 points a contest, fifth-best in the conference.

Aranda, now in his third year at the helm, hired Roberts in 2020, Aranda’s first year. Roberts helped orchestrate the 2021 Bears defense that was a big part in the program’s best 12-2 season. That squad won the Big 12 championship outright for the first time since 2013 and won the 2022 Allstate Sugar Bowl in a defensive masterpiece.

But Baylor (6-6, 4-5 Big 12) has regressed mightily, ranking 66th nationally in points allowed and 80th against the pass. Prior to his time with the Bears, Roberts was the defensive coordinator at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

He’s also the former head coach at Delta State University and Southeastern Louisiana University and had Aranda as part of his staff in 2007.

Wheat was brought in by Aranda in January following two seasons with the University of Nevada, Reno. He was also around Aranda during their Louisiana State University days. Aranda was the defensive coordinator while Wheat was a defensive analyst. Nationally, Baylor ranks an abysmal 119th in special teams efficiency.

The two coaches are still listed on the team’s roster page, and no announcement has been made regarding the search for new candidates.

On Sunday, the Bears will find out which bowl game they are playing in.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Phil Montgomery was finally fired from Tulsa. I think the bad shit came out after he was hired. I wonder if that stench will stick with him now that he's back on the market and all of it is known.

Fuck all those folks that knew about that rapelor shit and did nothing and/or tried to hide it !!

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Phil Montgomery was finally fired from Tulsa. I think the bad shit came out after he was hired. I wonder if that stench will stick with him now that he's back on the market and all of it is known.

Like Kendall Briles and Jeff Lebby?

• 3 weeks later...

"SIX WIN ARANDA"  😋

Baylor reportedly targeting Pac-12 coordinator for defensive coordinator

DOUG SAMUELS       DEC 28, 2022

Baylor and defensive coordinator Ron Roberts parted ways just a week after their regular season finale, leaving Dave Aranda with an opening for a defensive play caller.

Tonight, Bruce Feldman tweets that Oregon co-defensive coordinator / safeties coach Matt Powledge has emerged as a target for the Bears opening.

Powledge previously spent two seasons in Waco with Dave Aranda as his safeties coach / special teams coordinator before joining the staff in Eugene in December of 2021.

At 35 years old, Powledge is widely regarded as a young, fast-rising defensive mind in college football. At Oregon, he's learning under defensive mastermind Dan Lanning as well as Ducks defensive coordinator and recruiting ace Tosh Lupoi. 

With the Ducks, Powledge is in year one of a two year deal that pays him $700k annually.

He also previously coached outside linebackers and coordinated the special teams at Louisiana prior to joining the Baylor staff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 9:28 AM, LTtxfan said:

Baylor football reportedly fires DC Ron Roberts, safeties coach Ronnie Wheats

By Michael Haag       Dec 2, 2022

Josh-Wilson-0290-768x512.jpg

Baylor football defensive coordinator Ron Roberts on the sideline during the 2022 Allstate Sugar Bowl 

After disappointing play from the Defense and Special Teams units, Baylor football decided to move on from defensive coordinator Ron Roberts along with Safeties and Special Teams Coach Ronnie Wheat on Thursday, as first reported by SicEm365.com.

Baylor athletics would not comment on personnel changes.

Roberts, one of head coach Dave Aranda’s longtime mentors, led a Bears defense that gave up 370.3 yards per game, the fourth-lowest in the Big 12. Baylor also held its opponents to 26.6 points a contest, fifth-best in the conference.

Aranda, now in his third year at the helm, hired Roberts in 2020, Aranda’s first year. Roberts helped orchestrate the 2021 Bears defense that was a big part in the program’s best 12-2 season. That squad won the Big 12 championship outright for the first time since 2013 and won the 2022 Allstate Sugar Bowl in a defensive masterpiece.

But Baylor (6-6, 4-5 Big 12) has regressed mightily, ranking 66th nationally in points allowed and 80th against the pass. Prior to his time with the Bears, Roberts was the defensive coordinator at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

He’s also the former head coach at Delta State University and Southeastern Louisiana University and had Aranda as part of his staff in 2007.

Wheat was brought in by Aranda in January following two seasons with the University of Nevada, Reno. He was also around Aranda during their Louisiana State University days. Aranda was the defensive coordinator while Wheat was a defensive analyst. Nationally, Baylor ranks an abysmal 119th in special teams efficiency.

The two coaches are still listed on the team’s roster page, and no announcement has been made regarding the search for new candidates.

On Sunday, the Bears will find out which bowl game they are playing in.

Missed this... Ron Roberts was almost immediately hired as the DC at Auburn.  

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2022/12/ron-roberts-is-named-auburns-defense-coordinator.html

• 6 months later...

Missed this story about a former longhorn...

Nearly four months after entering the transfer portal, former Utah State star Byron Vaughns has a new home

By Trent Wood   Apr 19, 2023

It took nearly four months, but Byron Vaughns has a new home.

The former Utah State defensive end — a key cog in the Aggies’ 2021 Mountain West Conference championship — announced on social media Wednesday that he is returning home to Texas and has committed to the Baylor Bears.

Vaughns wrote: “Person (great than) football Player. … God has placed me at my new home and I’m FULLY COMMITTED to Baylor University.”

The Texas native — Vaughns prepped at Eastern Hills High School in Fort Worth, Texas, and joined the Texas Longhorns out of high school before transferring to Utah State — also thanked Baylor defensive coordinator Matthew Powledge and defensive line coach Dennis Johnson for the opportunity to join the Baylor program.

Vaughns joined the Utah State program ahead of the 2021 season and became an immediate contributor for the Aggies, ultimately racking up 100 tackles, 6.5 sacks, six pass breakups and two forced fumbles in two seasons played in Logan.

As a senior in 2022, Vaughns finished with 56 tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble, numbers that fail to convey how disruptive he truly was.

Vaughns was the defensive MVP of the Mountain West Conference title game in 2021 and was generally regarded as one of the Aggies’ most impactful defenders.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

David Smoak (baylor radio) getting ridiculed 😋

Kinda funny later same day... Smoak's group sure happy to keep talking about CFB realignment after bitching about it earlier in the day...

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/6/2023 at 5:08 AM, LTtxfan said:

Kinda funny later same day... Smoak's group sure happy to keep talking about CFB realignment after bitching about it earlier in the day...

Awful rich coming from the Pac folks who were cheering on the demise of the BigXII after UT/OU's exit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I figured this thread made sense to offer up some Baylor SicEm365 board musings after the 38-6 beating they just took from Texas.

-Grimes, a guy celebrated on this thread by some, is apparently being set up to be scapegoated this season. 

-The buyout for Aranda is apparently quite high. Maybe someone knows the numbers, but it is high enough that the Baylor moderators are saying that getting rid of Aranda after this season is a pipe dream. 

-"Texas isn't a great team. They're good. We're terrible and we quit before kickoff." 

-They are pining for bringing in "edgy" guys from the portal because they are "too nice" as a team. Someone asked if this meant "Briles era edgy?" and the mods responded that, no, those days are gone for good. Just "edgy" on the field, whatever the fuck that means. 

-They're begging to go to the spread.

-Guys that they'd like to see hired as the replacement to dear, sweet Dave Aranda range from Traylor and Kinne over to Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer. There is a growing contingent advocating for the notion of continuing to pay Aranda what he's contracted to get paid, but moving him to DC and hiring an offensive minded up and comer at HC. I realize this is pure fan fiction, but it is quite comical to read. 

-The latest season predictions on that board are stuck in a pretty tight range of 1-11 over to 3-9. Most of the folks talking about getting to 3-9 are doing so wistfully. 

Finally, Baylor, you were always a shitty partner to UT. You have ridden the Texas coattails for a century and a quarter while constantly behaving like a bitch, talking shit about us publicly for decades, and running one of the most evil programs in NCAA history. Enjoy fading into pure obscurity. I hope Texas never plays you asshats in CFB ever again. In short, get fucked and we wish you zero luck in the future. Enjoy ESPN+. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I figured this thread made sense to offer up some Baylor SicEm365 board musings after the 38-6 beating they just took from Texas.

-Grimes, a guy celebrated on this thread by some, is apparently being set up to be scapegoated this season. 

-The buyout for Aranda is apparently quite high. Maybe someone knows the numbers, but it is high enough that the Baylor moderators are saying that getting rid of Aranda after this season is a pipe dream. 

-"Texas isn't a great team. They're good. We're terrible and we quit before kickoff." 

-They are pining for bringing in "edgy" guys from the portal because they are "too nice" as a team. Someone asked if this meant "Briles era edgy?" and the mods responded that, no, those days are gone for good. Just "edgy" on the field, whatever the fuck that means. 

-Guys that they'd like to see hired as the replacement to dear, sweet Dave Aranda range from Traylor and Kinne over to Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer. There is a growing contingent advocating for the notion of continuing to pay Aranda what he's contracted to get paid, but moving him to DC and hiring an offensive minded up and comer at HC. I realize this is pure fan fiction, but it is quite comical to read. 

-The latest season predictions on that board are stuck in a pretty tight range of 1-11 over to 3-9. Most of the folks talking about getting to 3-9 are doing so wistfully. 

Finally, Baylor, you were always a shitty partner to UT. You have ridden the Texas coattails for a century and a quarter while constantly behaving like a bitch, talking shit about us publicly for decades, and running one of the most evil programs in NCAA history. Enjoy fading into pure obscurity. I hope Texas never plays you asshats in CFB ever again. In short, get fucked and we wish you zero luck in the future. Enjoy ESPN+. 

You made me look. Oh, my. 

I see a lot of complaints about NIL (“they’re paying players!”), followed by complaints about the PUF (because, evidently, that’s how we’re funding NIL? If only…)

Rhule parlayed his 2019 season into an NFL job. Aranda parlayed his 2021 into job security. 

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm pretty sure their football will go back to its pre-Briles mean, but I'm honestly curious what happens to their basketball program.  The 2024-on Big XII is full of tough basketball teams no one really cares about and Kansas. 

I assume baseball will be OK.

• 2 weeks later...