Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A funny thing about that statement is the claim that a long term mega extension will make them more likely to win a Super Bowl. No, it handcuffs your salary cap and means talent cuts at other positions. Of recent star (or high draft pick) QBs, Wilson went to his Super Bowls while on rookie contract, as did Goff, as did Mahomes. The only ones who were somewhat consistent with team success after extensions are Brady (who always made below market money) and Rodgers. Kyler, you are no Brady or Rodgers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 4:12 PM, C-Man said:

Jerry was stupid enough to call Zeke's bluff, though.

I think you mean didn’t call zeke’s bluff. jerry blinked because he is a bad general manager and now we are suffering the effects of zeke’s ridiculous contract. 

On 2/16/2022 at 7:41 AM, PilotsError said:

The QB salary just needs to be separated from the rest of the team's salary already.  The numbers and percentages are absurd.  

the cap is the cap. you are simply implying that quarterbacks are overvalued and their salaries reflect it. giving a quarterback >20% of your total cap is bad for business but NFL owners and GMs are idiots. except for one and he has 6 rings and he did it paying his quarterback less than “market value.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A funny thing about that statement is the claim that a long term mega extension will make them more likely to win a Super Bowl. No, it handcuffs your salary cap and means talent cuts at other positions. Of recent star (or high draft pick) QBs, Wilson went to his Super Bowls while on rookie contract, as did Goff, as did Mahomes. The only ones who were somewhat consistent with team success after extensions are Brady (who always made below market money) and Rodgers. Kyler, you are no Brady or Rodgers. 

Surprised more teams haven't figured this out. Example, the Packers are reportedly going to make Rodgers the highest paid player in the league. As great as he has been, they have only gotten 1 SB while compiling multiple playoff disappointments with him. There are probably better ways to spend that money.

the cap is the cap. you are simply implying that quarterbacks are overvalued and their salaries reflect it. giving a quarterback >20% of your total cap is bad for business but NFL owners and GMs are idiots. except for one and he has 6 rings and he did it paying his quarterback less than “market value.”

Exactly. The cap can be managed a hundred different ways which is part of the gamesmanship. The concept you have to have a big money QB is a myth; the idea of having a future big money QB on a rookie deal is not.

59 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Surprised more teams haven't figured this out. Example, the Packers are reportedly going to make Rodgers the highest paid player in the league. As great as he has been, they have only gotten 1 SB while compiling multiple playoff disappointments with him. There are probably better ways to spend that money.

It's about selling out games. As long as they field good teams that win lots of games and make it to the playoffs, that's good enough for the business. Winning a superbowl is just gravy on top.

• Like 1

If that's true, his agent is doing him a major disservice. I already thought the statement put out by his agent was dumb so it might just be par for the course. Getting bad advice will end up costing Kyler more $ in the long run.

• 1 month later...

It's fun to watch with no stakes in the fire.  NFL players have traditionally had the least amount of power in professional sports, so on one hand it's nice to see them gaining a little power.  On the other hand you have a lopsided NFL team building concept where you have to pay mediocre QBs huge money and neglect the remaining 52 players.  It's a world where Aaron Donald is making less than Jimmy Garoppolo.  Yes QB is the most important position, but mediocre is mediocre there is no point in locking yourself into that.  Then there is a third hand of OU sucks and fuck that bitch Kyler.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's fun to watch with no stakes in the fire.  NFL players have traditionally had the least amount of power in professional sports, so on one hand it's nice to see them gaining a little power.  On the other hand you have a lopsided NFL team building concept where you have to pay mediocre QBs huge money and neglect the remaining 52 players.  It's a world where Aaron Donald is making less than Jimmy Garoppolo.  Yes QB is the most important position, but mediocre is mediocre there is no point in locking yourself into that.  Then there is a third hand of OU sucks and fuck that bitch Kyler.

The players should operate like the owners. The owners pool their primary rev streams and split equally. Players should take their big cut and split with players equally. Makes it all easy.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, Scholz said:

Cryler chose an interesting point in time to throw a tantrum and demand hundreds of millions of dollars after looking like complete ass in the wild card round.

It's the NFL bro.  Seems to have worked out well.  Should have assaulted some women if he wanted the largest contract but this will have to do...

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's the NFL bro.  Seems to have worked out well.  Should have assaulted some women if he wanted the largest contract but this will have to do...

Yeah he got paid.  To me that speaks to the dearth of quality QBs around but that's another discussion.  He showed he didn't belong in the playoffs last year.

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Yeah he got paid.  To me that speaks to the dearth of quality QBs around but that's another discussion.  He showed he didn't belong in the playoffs last year.

Yes, that's obvious.  Look what creeper Watson got with his team full well knowing he may miss a whole damn season.  Of course, AZ and Cleveland really don't know jack shit about winning but that can be said about most of the NFL these days.  Fuck you Jerry.  

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, David Dennison said:

I think they're going to pay him.

I read this three months ago and ALMOST replied. Not to agree, not to necessarily challenge, just to say- “Nah, AZ is smarter than that. They won’t set precedent in caving to Cryler” and I’ll be damned if you weren’t right. 

I am flabbergasted. $46M a YEAR. 

Well, good for Kyler and his family, and his kids…and his grandkids…and their kids..😂

Anyone got a link to Phoenix sports talk radio?  I am sure the meltdown over this is great.  They will have that Kyler anchor around their neck for a long while.

They’re not loving it. But probably more heat on Kingsbury. He’s 9-21 or someshit in the second half’s of his seasons here.

They’re not loving it. But probably more heat on Kingsbury. He’s 9-21 or someshit in the second half’s of his seasons here.

I heard that today too and looked it up. That is so cherry picking. He is a .500 coach with a tie. Not great but he is what the nfl wants teams to be.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

I heard that today too and looked it up. That is so cherry picking. 

Uh... It makes that .500 record stink like shit. Every coach would prefer it be the other way: struggle early, come together, get hot heading into the playoffs. Thats how a wildcard team can with the Superbowl. How many teams can you point to that lost 5 of their final 7 regular season games (that's basically what he's averaging) and then won the SB?

Edited by B00M