The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 5/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, HoustonHorn said:

They are definitely expensive as shit. Basically 90-100k which is crazy. Definitely have to go with the larger size though which cuts out anything Tahoe-sized and the MB.

With 2 dogs and two kids and going to the beach regularly, we need the "trunk" space.

When I went to the dealer, he said that 2nd role console could be removed.

Does the Expedition Max Platinum or whatever come with the Raptor engine? That might be a more reasonable option. At least in  the 70-80k range. Struggling with the concept of $100k for a car unless its a high-performance Porsche or something like that. But a fucking Lincoln?

Technically the Raptor is the same 6 cylinder ecoboost as every other ford eco boost 6. The larger turbos and tuning are what make it different (other than the F150 limited now)

On 5/17/2019 at 3:29 PM, Brew said:

Used is always a better deal, but I’m buying new. I’m going to eat the depreciation and I’ll survive.

I'm not completely certain about that.  I'll have to replace my truck in the next few years, so I've been watching the trends.  

A 2 yo 75-95k mile KR 250 are still in the neighborhood of 50-55k, pre-owned.  New is 75k.  So lets say the truck realistically lasts for 250k miles.  New owner is getting the first 1/3 of the miles (should be the best miles) and still is only paying for the first 1/3 of the truck.  So he's leaving the second buyer to pay the same dollar/mile he was, for his new truck.  If I'm going to pay the same dollar/mile amount, I would much rather it be on the first 75k miles, than the 75-250k mile range.  Those miles should be worth less, the truck certainly will be by then.   ETA:  There are obviously ALOT more people who can shell out 30k for a 150k mile diesel, than legitimately afford a new one.  That's why, IMO, they never drop much past that until they are old and fuuuuuuuucked up.  There are ALOT of the market in that 30k range that should be about 15k.   Ability to finance shit for 9 years or whatever fucking it all up too, but markets are markets. 

Where this screws me up is that I keep my vehicles for as long as they'll keep me.  Current ride is 11 yo and has 230k miles.  Batteries, a hub, and a set of brakes at 210k have been the "major" parts I've had to change.  I haven't had a payment in six years, and it's going to suck when I do again.  If you are OK always trading in just under 100k, I think you can do better buying new, at least with 3/4 - 1-ton diesel trucks.

As far as SUV's go, used ftmfw.  We bought wife's Denali 3 yo with 48k miles for just under 50% of sticker.    Truck would have passed for a 6 month old truck at time.  She's got over 200k on it now, so I've been following that market closely, too.  They may have more shit to go wrong, but nothing outside a camper trailer drops in depreciation like an Escalade.

Edited by fattyflattie

Not sure if this is the right place, but I’m not a car guy and looking for opinions. I’m thinking about replacing my g37 with a Lexus CPO IS or GS, but my car fanatic coworkers said I really should test drive a Genesis G70 first.

I’m going for long term reliability as a daily driver. I don’t drive fast or aggressively, but appreciate being able to move around slow drivers in the g37.

Thoughts on IS, GS or G70?

My Infiniti has had annoying recurring issues, so I’m trying something else. I drove a GS350 and IS350 before heading to the genesis dealership. The dealership sucked (was a Hyundai dealership that sold genesis), but damn that car was a lot of fun. I’m seriously considering getting the 3.3T version. 

On 5/17/2019 at 8:24 AM, pepper brooks said:

I have had my Panamera GTS for one year now.  In that time I have put a little over 11k miles on it.  Clock is now at 22,XXX.  I have taken it in once for the scheduled 20k mile service.  That was about 1,800.  That price included replacing one tire.  I also had to replace the front windshield.  I have windshield replacement on my insurance so the glass cost me nothing.  What it did not know was after getting the windshield replaced I had to take it to the dealer to get all the cameras and lane departure sensors and shit re-set/programmed.  I still cannot figure out how all that shit needed to be done because I replaced the front windshield, but none of it worked after I replaced it and the window guy had told me I was going to have to get that done.  I Checked on line and confirmed because it sounded like bullshit to me.  Anyway, that shit cost me $500.  absurd.  OTher than that I had no  other issues requiring repairs.  One year in, and I continue to love this car more all the time.   I still thing the front end of this car is the best looking panamera to date including the latest model.  THe back has grown on me from every angle other than the straight side view.  That is still awkward at best.  The thing is so fun to drive for a giant of a car.  The sound of the that naturally aspirated V8 is a work of art.  The alcantara shows no signs of wear or degradation so far.  One thing that is a pain in the ass, and I knew it would be from my 911 is the cleaning of the leather in this thing.  Everything is leather.  The dash, the door panels, the coverings of the pillars inside, everything.  It's a mild pain in the ass in a small car like a 911.  It's a giant pain in the ass for a car of this size.  Takes forever to clean.  Takes forever to wash. Overall, I am about as pleased as I have ever been with a car purchase.  It is still "new" to me in that the more comfortable I am driving it the more capabilities it reveals. 

I agree with everything you mentioned.  I would add the wheels take forever to clean as well.  Good to know about replacing the glass issues.  Overall, I have been less then thrilled to say the least about my last few experiences at the dealership's service department.  Learned the hard way that when you get a flat, it has to be towed on a flat bed to the dealership, as there is no spare on the vehicle.  Sucks when you live 2 hours away and it happens late on a weeknight.  All the cost were covered.  Thank goodness I signed up for wheel and tire coverage.  Saved me over a grand.

Also, I prepaid for maintenance when I purchased both of my Panameras.  Which knocked it down to $1200.00.  

Overall happy with the car.  When in hybrid mode, I'm getting 39.9 MPG, plus 31 miles on pure electric each day.  Currently getting around 900 miles per tank of gas ($60.00).  To me, the performance is insane with that kind of fuel economy.  The thrust from the added electric torque (516 total max torque rating) puts a grin on your face when you press the little red "don't fuck with me" button on the steering wheel.  I miss a little on the exhaust note compared to your V8, but it still has a nice rumble.  

What kind of MPG are you getting?  How are the tires holding up overall?

3 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

I agree with everything you mentioned.  I would add the wheels take forever to clean as well.  Good to know about replacing the glass issues.  Overall, I have been less then thrilled to say the least about my last few experiences at the dealership's service department.  Learned the hard way that when you get a flat, it has to be towed on a flat bed to the dealership, as there is no spare on the vehicle.  Sucks when you live 2 hours away and it happens late on a weeknight.  All the cost were covered.  Thank goodness I signed up for wheel and tire coverage.  Saved me over a grand.

Also, I prepaid for maintenance when I purchased both of my Panameras.  Which knocked it down to $1200.00.  

Overall happy with the car.  When in hybrid mode, I'm getting 39.9 MPG, plus 31 miles on pure electric each day.  Currently getting around 900 miles per tank of gas ($60.00).  To me, the performance is insane with that kind of fuel economy.  The thrust from the added electric torque (516 total max torque rating) puts a grin on your face when you press the little red "don't fuck with me" button on the steering wheel.  I miss a little on the exhaust note compared to your V8, but it still has a nice rumble.  

cars without spares come with (temp) tire repair kit.  dont u have one in the trunk, or was it irreparable?

Are the tires not runflat? The wife’s BMW has run flats instead of a spare.

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

My mileage is probably 14-15 in the city.  I keep it in sport mode, keep my foot in the carpet, and drive in stop and go inner loop Houston traffic.  The tires are wearing pretty well at this point.  Probably have 3 months of life left in them.  I bet my wife's turbo Cayenne mileage is worse.  One thing I love on my Carrera S is the ceramic brakes.  No brake dust ever, and clean up is virtually nothing.  I have the turbo wheels on the Panamera GTS and they are an absolute bitch to keep clean.  Ive pretty much resigned to taking it only to a car wash.  It takes forever to wash the thing due to size, and I hate cleaning those wheels and all that damn leather inside.  

damn near 40 MPG is amazing on your Panamera.  Wow.  Those things are a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing.  They generally have the less sporty look with more demure front, the chrome trim around the door trim (more of a luxury styling in general), but they will move with all that torque.  

Edited by pepper brooks

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

cars without spares come with (temp) tire repair kit.  dont u have one in the trunk, or was it irreparable?

Narrator: they NEVER work. Tried twice on X’s Boxster.  Waste of fucking time.  All it got you was a ruined suit and heat stroke, and then you eventually wait for the tow truck

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I was going to ask if it came with a blood stained seat, but they mentioned that scene at the end of the article. 

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Narrator: they NEVER work. Tried twice on X’s Boxster.  Waste of fucking time.  All it got you was a ruined suit and heat stroke, and then you eventually wait for the tow truck

Agree with this. That said, mine had an air pump that plugged into the cigarette lighter. Saved my ass once. 

23 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Are the tires not runflat? The wife’s BMW has run flats instead of a spare.

none of ours have run flats nor a spare.  Back when I drove my 911 daily I once had to look under the car for something.  Maybe my kids ball had rolled under it.  whatever.  Anyway, I would look at the tires from the side and could only see about half the tire.  They looked pretty new.  I get down under the thing and notice the inner half of both rear tires is bare as a baby's ass with threads showing.  Had no idea the tires wore so much more on the inner halves.  the weight of the ending sitting back over the rear axle really wears out those rear tires.  After years of those Pirelli P2's that were allergic to pavement, and maybe lasted 5-7k miles, I finally ditched them and put some bridgestones on it.  They don't grip anywhere close to the others, but they've made it 15k miles.  Of course, I only drive the thing about 3k miles per year now, and don't go take it to the track anymore.  

Does Porsche build with negative camber on the tears to help with handling?  And is it adjustable?

I don’t remember what his specific model year and trim is, but I looked up a 2007 Carrera and the the spec for the rear is -1.5° +/- .25°. Nothing too extreme. But if it’s got directional tires you can’t really rotate the tires on staggered wheels unless you actually dismount them. Even then, it’s only side to side.

It’s adjustable via eccentric cam bolts. Pretty standard setup.

Looks like it's time to have a baby.  So, baby mama (no pics) needs a new baby hauler.  One of the more likely options is a Panamera but it has Alcantara.  I have had that in a GT3 and definitely would show wear so it scares me with a little messy one (it's a boy). Is this the worst idea ever or just really stupid.  

3 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Looks like it's time to have a baby.  So, baby mama (no pics) needs a new baby hauler.  One of the more likely options is a Panamera but it has Alcantara.  I have had that in a GT3 and definitely would show wear so it scares me with a little messy one (it's a boy). Is this the worst idea ever or just really stupid.  

It's not the worst but it's up there.

Enlighten me.  Seriously. This (baby-ville) is unchartered territory for me.  First option was a new Cayenne then I got a Panamera as a loaner and it drove much better than a Cayenne.  Seems safe and large enough but still fun for baby-mama if baby is not in the car.

Go SUV and don’t look back. The amount of crap you haul around with the kid is unreal. Where you gonna put the stroller? Stroller and diaper bag. Oh, and when you travel, the pack and play. Also, I sat in a panamara back seat - not sure a car seat would sit in that well. Last - it’s low. It’s not super easy getting in and out or dropping a car seat in and out.

• Like 3

Listen to Goofy. Good news is by 2-3, you can do whatever. That backwards facing seat for first 18-24 months is the worst.   And think of everything you will be bringing, and then double it.  As far was messes, after 1 or so when they are less dependent on bottles, it gets less messy. As long as you don’t let them snack in the truck, like my wife does. DoubleFacepalm.jpg My truck stays clean because we don’t do food in it.  SUV with infotainment system.  Learning DVDs.  Keeps them quiet and they learn shit. 

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Go SUV and don’t look back. The amount of crap you haul around with the kid is unreal. Where you gonna put the stroller? Stroller and diaper bag. Oh, and when you travel, the pack and play. Also, I sat in a panamara back seat - not sure a car seat would sit in that well. Last - it’s low. It’s not super easy getting in and out or dropping a car seat in and out.

Those are solid considerations.  I thought it had enough room in back but really don't have a clue.  My plan was to bring some of it and try to stick it in there before we pulled the trigger.  Thanks for the input, will certainly add those thoughts to the consideration.

btw, I am assuming you are the same goofyboy from wb.com.  it's htownbdr, Thutch's buddy.  Hope you are awesome.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

After years of those Pirelli P2's that were allergic to pavement, and maybe lasted 5-7k miles, I finally ditched them and put some bridgestones on it.  They don't grip anywhere close to the others, but they've made it 15k miles.

Holy shit. I lose my mind when I don’t 55k out of a set of BFG’s.  This alone is why I couldn’t do a car. I’d go crazy. 

5 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean, they aren’t all like that. Those are high performance summer tires.

Yeah I knew they didn’t last long. I guess just actually reading it out loud stuck out.   I’ve got a few friends that track their bikes and they run thru tires like crazy.   I assume same goes for cars. 

I mean, they aren’t all like that. Those are high performance summer tires.
Even with high performance summer tires 5-7K is absurd. I know some are like that, but it's ridiculous. I have Contis and they're showing very little wear at about 12K. Got 24K out of the piece of shit OEM Bridgestones.
  • Like 1

Those are solid considerations.  I thought it had enough room in back but really don't have a clue.  My plan was to bring some of it and try to stick it in there before we pulled the trigger.  Thanks for the input, will certainly add those thoughts to the consideration.
btw, I am assuming you are the same goofyboy from wb.com.  it's htownbdr, Thutch's buddy.  Hope you are awesome.

Yeah - same guy. Congrats on the kid.

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Nope. One rule of thumb is the younger they are, the larger their stuff is. Buy or lease a large suv (larger than a cayenne) that you plan on having for at least 3 years. Then in 3 years with your experience, evaluate whether you can downsize  to something like the panamera. 

9 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Enlighten me.  Seriously. This (baby-ville) is unchartered territory for me.  First option was a new Cayenne then I got a Panamera as a loaner and it drove much better than a Cayenne.  Seems safe and large enough but still fun for baby-mama if baby is not in the car.

9 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Goofy pretty much nailed it. Honestly the bending over alone would be a nightmare. 

Congrats on ye olde baby btw, welcome to the club!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Also, once the kid gets a little older, they'll be dropping juice boxes, puking, getting snacks everywhere, wiping their hands on everything...  I would go nice, but not over the top SUV.  Oh and further down the line you can count on your progeny hitting the car with their bike, bookbag, ball, trashcan,  (insert everyday item that should not impact the car), etc...

You need to be thinking  less gemstone, more sacrificial anode. I deliberately bought low mileage used SUVs so I wouldn't have to lose my mind when the kids invariably did something stupid.

Don't worry, you won't miss the car, you'll miss sleep, lazy Sunday mornings, restaurants, your sanity...shit like that.

Congrats!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1