The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

?

Looking to replace the Escalade, which is honestly a piece of shit. Looking at the Navigator or Ford Expedition. Obvious differences in the interior, but with two small kids and two dogs, the extra cost isn't worth it.

So leaning Expedition. Looked at the Platinum, but the Limited has everything my wife wants, so no reason to waste the money. That said, one difference that bothers me is that they both have the same engine, but the Platinum is tuned to provide better performance and power.

Is there a real difference if you aren't doing heavy towing, and is it possible to have a third party tune that engine to get the same performance? Does that void warranties and if so is it detectable? I'm guessing yes to all.

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

?

Looking to replace the Escalade, which is honestly a piece of shit. Looking at the Navigator or Ford Expedition. Obvious differences in the interior, but with two small kids and two dogs, the extra cost isn't worth it.

So leaning Expedition. Looked at the Platinum, but the Limited has everything my wife wants, so no reason to waste the money. That said, one difference that bothers me is that they both have the same engine, but the Platinum is tuned to provide better performance and power.

Is there a real difference if you aren't doing heavy towing, and is it possible to have a third party tune that engine to get the same performance? Does that void warranties and if so is it detectable? I'm guessing yes to all.

The Platinum tuning requires 93 octane vs 87 for the Limited if fuel cost is any concern. 

I believe the manual states 87 but then the fine print says for maximum HP/Torque 93 is required. Here is the tiny print. 

2018 Expedition | ford.com
Platinum. Blue. Available equipment. 1Horsepower and torque ratings achieved with 93-octane fuel.

Edited by gasman

So, back to seriously mortal vehicles.  I'm looking hard at a gently used Cadilliac ATS coupe because they are so fucking cheap, 'murica.  There's a very off chance I might get a V, but the value proposition is less compelling and alcantara.

But I can't decide between the 2.0 Turbo 4 and the 3.6 V6.  I currently drive a CTS coupe and really like the alpha platform and the earlier variant of the V6, but mostly because it's torquier than anything I have driven in quite a while.  And the 2.0T has torque in spades (272hp and 260 ftlbs at 1500).  The six has 50 more horses and a little more torque, but it doesn't come on til much later (285 @ 5300).  A test drive isn't going to tell me enough.

I'm not going to autocross.  I'm not going to exceed probably 90-100 mph, ever. I like on-ramp sprints and the occasional left-lane sprint.  I appreciate some squirt from the stoplight, but I ain't draggin anyone.   I'm thinking the 2.0T makes the most sense.  For once, the reviews don't tell any tale.  The V6 doesn't unbalance the chassis, apparently.

IDGAF about the engine "note."  If it isn't an overcammed big block V8 with open pipes, I don't care. 

Any real world insight on dinky ass turbo fours?  

Edited by TwiceHorn

The Platinum tuning requires 93 octane vs 87 for the Limited if fuel cost is any concern. 

I believe the manual states 87 but then the fine print says for maximum HP/Torque 93 is required. Here is the tiny print. 

Platinum. Blue. Available equipment. 1Horsepower and torque ratings achieved with 93-octane fuel.
Good info, thanks. Not a concern though. Mostly wondering if it can be tuned aftermarket with no negative consequences re: warranty and whether it's not its even worth it. We aren't going to be towing anything.

Holy shit that boat pic made me laugh.  Just because you have the HP doesn't mean the frame on that car is designed to pull a fucking boat.  Not to mention it sure as fuck isn't geared to tow.  Should take bets on what gets fucked first, frame or transmission? 

Maybe you should downgrade and buy the two cars (truck) you actually need.  LOL

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:
1 hour ago, gasman said:

Good info, thanks. Not a concern though. Mostly wondering if it can be tuned aftermarket with no negative consequences re: warranty and whether it's not its even worth it. We aren't going to be towing anything.

Most aftermarket tunes can be 'ghost' tunes so they I'd be shocked if they voided a warranty.  I could be wrong but tuned the old 911 Turbo S (RIP) and that's the story I got - the dealer actually backed it up.  Of all people...

18 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:
1 hour ago, gasman said:

I virtually guarantee that an aftermarket tune would void your warranty and be detectable.  How many horses/ft-lbs are we talking about, anyway.  For 2019 it's one engine, one rating top to bottom.

If the hp/torque is significant, a lot of the time that means there are different drivetrain components to handle it, particularly if it's associated with a towing package, and you might be asking for trouble.

2 hours ago, gasman said:

username checks out. 

Yeah.  The reason I say it's detectable is that most mfrs are moving in the direction that John Deere has moved, so that unauthorized access to software causes an owner problems, driving owners to authorized dealers for service.

I don't think any automaker has fully implemented that because people will scream bloody murder, but I believe they absolutely have the technology in place to detect tunes, whether they void warranties or not.

Also looks like 25 hp out of 375-400, 6%, so I'm guessing that's virtually undetectable and exactly the difference between high octane and regular gas and not worth messing with.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Sounds like I need to clear it with the dealer then. I don't know enough about engines, but it's the exact same and they warrant the tuning on other models. Probably need to ensure its done by someone authorized.

Again, not sure it's worth it for the use it will be getting though.

5 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Sounds like I need to clear it with the dealer then. I don't know enough about engines, but it's the exact same and they warrant the tuning on other models. Probably need to ensure its done by someone authorized.

Contact Roush and see if they will throw a Nitemare package at it. Your wife will love it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/12/roush-f150-nitemare-claims-quickest-pickup-ever/

2 hours ago, gasman said:

Contact Roush and see if they will throw a Nitemare package at it. Your wife will love it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/12/roush-f150-nitemare-claims-quickest-pickup-ever/

I assume this is in jest, but the first fundamental problem is that is for a 5L V8.  Ford is milking that EcoBoost V6 for all it's worth, surprised they put it in a behemoth like the Expedition.  But 375 horses is plenty adequate and I'm sure it has generous low-end torque.

But the key observation is in the second sentence:  your wife will love it.  I fully get being a dude and being irked by not having the top engine package in any rig you buy (see my existential crisis above on 2.0T).  But lets be realistic, this is a grocery getter and kid hauler driven by the wife.  She's not going to notice 25 horses.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Holy shit that boat pic made me laugh.  Just because you have the HP doesn't mean the frame on that car is designed to pull a fucking boat.  Not to mention it sure as fuck isn't geared to tow.  Should take bets on what gets fucked first, frame or transmission? 

Maybe you should downgrade and buy the two cars (truck) you actually need.  LOL

Just do like the person a few pictures down on the Instagram page, buy the Uris for towing the boat. There are some pretty incredible setups on that instagram page. 

8 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

The normal 3.5 has plenty of power for what you need. My wife has had sporty vehicles pretty much our entire marriage and had to move up to a larger vehicle for a couple of years because we have two teenagers (and all their friends) playing sports.

If it doesn’t have enough, there are a number of upgrades that can be made without voiding the warranty just like on the truck.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:30 PM, Buzzrock said:

Here’s my neighbor Ed talking about his Cannonball car. You can see his Murcielago that he loves and drives, that’s his favorite Lambo ever.

Here’s his garage tour:

I immediately walked into CHIEF Jr.'s room and told him that you were his neighbor. Asked him, who is the "Ed" that owns the Cannonball record. Knew his last name and wants to come to Georgia. 

CHIEF

I immediately walked into CHIEF Jr.'s room and told him that you were his neighbor. Asked him, who is the "Ed" that owns the Cannonball record. Knew his last name and wants to come to Georgia. 
CHIEF

Shag happy hour? We can have Doc ship his new car down and he and Ed can race in the neighborhood.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:27 PM, HoustonHorn said:

?

Have you considered a Lambo?  ChiTownDoc could probably get you a deal. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, gasman said:

C&D (iirc) did a comparo on regular vs. premium with a bunch of recent turbo cars and there wasn't much in it.  i'll see if i can find it. 

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i don't know...just seems a bit understated.  really needs something to make it pop a bit.

nice criminally insane italian machinery...

I know what it needs. Naked girl silhouette mud flaps. Just that extra touch of class. 

The OU license cover is really going to clash with the yellow though. 

Went with the Platinum Expedition. Whether real or perceived, knowing the lower HP and CCD meant both of us could tell a small difference. Any recommendations for aftermarket wheels?

My wife doesn't care but I'm considering putting some on. Looking for something a little more off-road looking but not flashy.

I like the X D 778 Monster in a matte black but there are just too many options out there.

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ha, I need to get w the times.  A buddy had some nice drone footage of old one spitting out fire from exhaust on a run at dusk.  Need to try to find that.  

We don't need to see you slaying a track like you're a pro.  We just want to see you enjoying the car if you take on track.  

Fucking hell, I think my BMW is sentient. 

I loaded up a fat playlist of Tesla content before leaving the house, and started playing it on bluetooth while driving to work.  Barely made it out of my neighborhood when the engine shuddered and then cut power. 

Stranded my ass on the road.  I think it simply ran out of fuel and meter is wrong (reads 45% but it's done 335mi which is almost full tank)....but remote diagnosis says fuel pump problem.  Just sitting here waiting for the tow truck.

I don't even believe the Ford Bronco exists.  The thing was announced as coming back in 2017 or something.  you telling me it takes them that long to produce an SUV on a truck platform from the company that has the top selling truck in America?  I don't buy it.  

Have a coworker that’s running the wheels off her expedition waiting on the bronco...

She keeps waiting and waiting while that expedition is wearing out... something funny about the old ford auto locks loud ass “thunk” that makes me chuckle

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124033_after-40-million-in-renovations-porsche-reopens-nards-circular-test-track

The storied circular Nardò test track lives again. This past Thursday, Porsche announced it had completed renovations of the Italian test track that will help usher the site into the future.

At the end of 2018, Porsche closed the 7.8-mile circular track and pumped nearly $40 million at current exchange rates into it. The results are fresh asphalt and a new guardrail system designed for the high-speed tests that take place there. Further, the investment completely renovated the car dynamic platform area, which is a black lake or massive skid pad that measures just over 26 acres. In total, the Nardò Technical Center comprises more than 700 hectares and features 20 separate test tracks. Although Porsche owns the facility, 90 automotive companies test there.

So new shit has come to light. I may be getting a new car as well. I'd like to keep it short of 100k. Considering a truck, but never had one so not sure that's where I'll end up. Also looking at a sports SUV. The Audi Q8/SQ8 seems appealing although the S hasn't been released yet.

Maybe an BMW 6X M. Seems like the AMG63 GLS may be out of my price range.

Could also just go with an S6 or S7 as well.

Wasn't really considering buying anything for at least a year but open to suggestions.

7 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

So new shit has come to light. I may be getting a new car as well. I'd like to keep it short of 100k. Considering a truck, but never had one so not sure that's where I'll end up. Also looking at a sports SUV. The Audi Q8/SQ8 seems appealing although the S hasn't been released yet.

Maybe an BMW 6X M. Seems like the AMG63 GLS may be out of my price range.

Could also just go with an S6 or S7 as well.

Wasn't really considering buying anything for at least a year but open to suggestions.

https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette