The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 5/15/2018 at 8:38 AM, pepper brooks said:

Bout time for someone to post some more cool pics of some shit. Where is that damn 5.0 mustang we heard about previously.  

Started with a 1990 coupe I bought off of some 20 year old girl who lived in Fallon, NV. I wanted a 4cylinder because those cars are usually in pristine shape unlike a factory 5.0. No creeks. No stressed torque boxes. Everything is usually present and accounted for in the interior. The car is a bit sun beaten on the outside as would be expected for a NV car, but also as to be expected from a desert car, the undercarriage was flawless.

I started by screwing together a basic 302. Freshened it up with the usual, added an Anderson B-41 cam, and a set of GT40 heads I had lying around. I wanted an aggressive idle, but I wanted it to be a driver as well. Up top I sourced an Explorer intake(same as a Cobra Intake) with 42lb injectors, a 70mm TB, and a 80mm Pro M Mass Air calibrated for the injectors. Ram Stage 2 Clutch, and a World Class T-5. Lastly, I tossed on my old Vortech V2 Strim supercharger on there just for the whistle sound and the subsequent whoosh on shifts.

Suspension and brakes wise there isn't much going on. I pulled off all the stock Foxbody stuff and went 2004 GT(tried to source a Cobra but couldn't find one). Rearend, brakes, control arms, steering rack, everything. I upgraded to crossdrilled and slotted rotors, a proportioning valve, and a 93 Cobra master cylinder coupled with a 96 Cobra Brake Booster. I also added Eiback Sportlines to get it to sit right. It's currently sitting on 18x10/9 SVE series 3 wheels. The front are 18x35x265. The rears are 18x35x295.

For those that really know mustangs, you probably thought about how the 2004(SN95) suspension has a 3 inch wider track width. There is a reason for that, and this is where it gets fun. I added Maeir Racing panels to make the body 3 inches wider(1 1/2 per side), which will tuck the wheels and tires back in. It has a 93 Cobra rear bumper, and I am doing something special for the front. I am cutting the stock bumper cover in half and merging it with an 03 cobra lower valance. Then we are wrapping it in Satin Chrome Blue. Below is what it will look like. First pic is the panels. Second is the nose. Last is the wrap. It's taking a lot of my time, but it's either going to be a homerun or an epic failure......lol.

03-cnc-top-notch-mustang-sema-1.jpg

2012-05-11_18-04-23_793-jpg.460170

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNAAR5G07i5dIkJCxejjv

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Started with a 1990 coupe I bought off of some 20 year old girl who lived in Fallon, NV. I wanted a 4cylinder because those cars are usually in pristine shape unlike a factory 5.0. No creeks. No stressed torque boxes. Everything is usually present and accounted for in the interior. The car is a bit sun beaten on the outside as would be expected for a NV car, but also as to be expected from a desert car, the undercarriage was flawless.

I started by screwing together a basic 302. Freshened it up with the usual, added an Anderson B-41 cam, and a set of GT40 heads I had lying around. I wanted an aggressive idle, but I wanted it to be a driver as well. Up top I sourced an Explorer intake(same as a Cobra Intake) with 42lb injectors, a 70mm TB, and a 80mm Pro M Mass Air calibrated for the injectors. Ram Stage 2 Clutch, and a World Class T-5. Lastly, I tossed on my old Vortech V2 Strim supercharger on there just for the whistle sound and the subsequent whoosh on shifts.

Suspension and brakes wise there isn't much going on. I pulled off all the stock Foxbody stuff and went 2004 GT(tried to source a Cobra but couldn't find one). Rearend, brakes, control arms, steering rack, everything. I upgraded to crossdrilled and slotted rotors, a proportioning valve, and a 93 Cobra master cylinder coupled with a 96 Cobra Brake Booster. I also added Eiback Sportlines to get it to sit right. It's currently sitting on 18x10/9 SVE series 3 wheels. The front are 18x35x265. The rears are 18x35x295.

For those that really know mustangs, you probably thought about how the 2004(SN95) suspension has a 3 inch wider track width. There is a reason for that, and this is where it gets fun. I added Maeir Racing panels to make the body 3 inches wider(1 1/2 per side), which will tuck the wheels and tires back in. It has a 93 Cobra rear bumper, and I am doing something special for the front. I am cutting the stock bumper cover in half and merging it with an 03 cobra lower valance. Then we are wrapping it in Satin Chrome Blue. Below is what it will look like. First pic is the panels. Second is the nose. Last is the wrap. It's taking a lot of my time, but it's either going to be a homerun or an epic failure......lol.

03-cnc-top-notch-mustang-sema-1.jpg

2012-05-11_18-04-23_793-jpg.460170

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNAAR5G07i5dIkJCxejjv

I’m going with epic awesomeness want to see the finished product. This is awesome.  

I forgot. I wanted to do something different with the sound system as well. I went with a 10 speaker setup that consists of two 3 1/2 dash speakers, 4-6in coaxial speakers(two in the doors and two in the quarter panels), two 6x9's in the rear deck, and two 12's behind the rear seat in a sealed box for a tighter, less boomy sound. The difference is that instead of using a head unit I am using a tablet to control it all, but coupling everything to a MB Quartz marine bluetooth box. So you just mount the tablet on a holder on the dash. No wires needed. That tablet also can double to run the engine management program. I wanted to kind modernize it just a little bit.

The interior will be the last thing I tackle. There is not a lot on the market for an upgrade. I am trying to figure out what to do besides throw some recaro's in it and call it a day.

Here is a couple sneak peeks of the progress.

20180517_081207.jpg

When I was installing the bracket for the vortech. I used a smog pump delete, and upgraded the alternator so it could handle the sound system. 

Edited by Thatguy

Anybody need a ranch truck?

From bringatrailer.com

May 30, 2018  American / Truck & 4x4 / Under $20k | 8 Comments

0-60 in 4.6 Seconds from 9.9 Liters: 1999 Lingenfelter Suburban

This 1999 Chevrolet Suburban (VIN 3GNGK26J3XG137497) is among an unknown but almost certainly tiny number of examples modified in-period with a massive 605ci marine-based V8 installed by Michigan-based Lingenfelter Performance. Originally conceived by GM at the request of the Saudi government who wanted a high-speed interception vehicle, all built apparently started as standard 7.4 liter 2500 models before receiving some $38k (~$57k today) in parts, fabrication, and reassembly. Specs included 550 HP and 705 lb. ft. of torque, which according to a period Car and Driver review were capable of muscling the three-ton-plus behemoth from a standstill to 60 MPH in just 4.6 seconds–full-blown supercar performance for the times. Little information is offered about this example, but the engine bay looks correct, and cosmetics seem decent as well. Find it here at Millennium Motors in Monroe, Washington for $18k.

As noted above, all of these started life as standard 2500’s, some of which were purchased by private owners and then taken to Lingenfelter for conversion. Changes are limited to the powertrain and exhaust, which means the only indicator visible form the outside should be larger tailpipes that are not visible in the the photos of this one. Ride height, wheels, tires and trim (and even brakes!) were all left unchanged from a standard 2500 4×4, and nothing about this example appears further modified. This snoozy color was marketed as Pewter Metallic, and was also available on Corvettes during the time. Exterior condition looks good from what’s seen in photos, with consistent, reflective paint and straight sheet metal in view.

The cabin shows wear commensurate with the odometer reading of 81k, a figure that at Lingenfelter’s claimed 8 MPG combined means this thing’s been through at least 10,000 gallons. Things appear unmodified from stock with the exception of an aftermarket head unit (pictured without a faceplate), along with what could be a trailer brake module down below.

Cargo volume measures a cavernous 149.5 cubic feet, and we believe this double-door configuration was available only on 2500 models, whereas 1500’s were equipped with a horizontally split setup.

Opening the hood reveals the massive power plant, a 9.9 liter pushrod V8 (originally designed for marine applications) and generating 550 HP and 705 lb. ft. of toque when new. In addition to a long-runner intake designed by Mercury Marine, other notable spec included the exhaust system from a 454SS pick-up and an appropriately beefed-up transmission.

Car and Driver reported a 0-60 MPH time of 4.7 seconds in RWD, a figure which dropped another tenth with four-wheel drive engaged. The intake air box and a few other components within the engine bay display a bit of rust, so opting for a thorough inspection seems like it’d be wise. Bring a gas card and the biggest set of brakes you can find.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 4:05 PM, Anastasis said:

This 1999 Chevrolet Suburban (VIN 3GNGK26J3XG137497) is among an unknown but almost certainly tiny number of examples modified in-period with a massive 605ci marine-based V8 installed by Michigan-based Lingenfelter Performance. Originally conceived by GM at the request of the Saudi government who wanted a high-speed interception vehicle, all built apparently started as standard 7.4 liter 2500 models before receiving some $38k (~$57k today) in parts, fabrication, and reassembly. Specs included 550 HP and 705 lb. ft. of torque, which according to a period Car and Driver review were capable of muscling the three-ton-plus behemoth from a standstill to 60 MPH in just 4.6 seconds–full-blown supercar performance for the times. Little information is offered about this example, but the engine bay looks correct, and cosmetics seem decent as well. Find it here at Millennium Motors in Monroe, Washington for $18k.

As noted above, all of these started life as standard 2500’s, some of which were purchased by private owners and then taken to Lingenfelter for conversion. Changes are limited to the powertrain and exhaust, which means the only indicator visible form the outside should be larger tailpipes that are not visible in the the photos of this one. Ride height, wheels, tires and trim (and even brakes!) were all left unchanged from a standard 2500 4×4, and nothing about this example appears further modified. 

they are really not helping the stereotype...

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:
13 hours ago, 52-80 said:
me no fan of SUVs but the new bmw x5 looks nice

Googled it and it looks like an X5.

doesnt look like as squarish and voluminous... a bit more purposeful 

p90303994-highres-1.jpg

p90303995-highres-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...