The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

What do we know about Range Rovers?  I haven’t had one in 15 years and the last one was a major piece of shit that spent half of its time in the shop and told myself I would never buy another one.  I now find myself interested in a 22 HSE P525 Westminster with 2,900 miles as a daily driver.  I have heard since the new company took over they are much more reliable. Dealer dropped it of today for me to drive and think about it and I am really impressed.  Is this new car fever or did they manage to turn this brand around.  

Wife had one. I loved driving it. Glad when we sold that piece of shit.

3 hours ago, Atxracer said:

What do we know about Range Rovers?  I haven’t had one in 15 years and the last one was a major piece of shit that spent half of its time in the shop and told myself I would never buy another one.  I now find myself interested in a 22 HSE P525 Westminster with 2,900 miles as a daily driver.  I have heard since the new company took over they are much more reliable. Dealer dropped it of today for me to drive and think about it and I am really impressed.  Is this new car fever or did they manage to turn this brand around.  

Yeah, the consensus is still very nice POS.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2022 at 9:49 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, the consensus is still very nice POS.

One of my happiest days was getting rid of the wife's Sport.  Loved the supercharged V8 and stable ride.  I did a lot drag racing on Bee Caves Road and South Mopac.  

However, I think my wife was stranded 3 times in the 3 years we owned it.  Electrical gremlins twice and once transmission.  Got the 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty that covered the major repairs.  The consumables, which includes shocks were a beating.  Every time I looked around, it was $2500 for this or that.  Very disappointing experience coupled with the worst dealership in Texas, the one on 5th.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I've never heard a single person who was happy with their Range Rover. Yet people keep buying them so fuck it!

I talked to a few that were and went ahead and pulled the trigger.  If it doesn’t work out, I have a line on a replacement in about 6 months so will dump it then.  But, in the meantime, I needed a baby hauler and nothing else jumped out at me. I have driven it 30 whole miles with no problems, fingers crossed, lol.  

21 hours ago, Okie State said:

I've never heard a single person who was happy with their Range Rover. Yet people keep buying them so fuck it!

I would own another one if it was under factory warranty,  and I would sell it prior to the expiration of said warranty.  If you are going to own one not under warranty you need to find the nearest independent shop that specializes in working on them.  In the DFW area, there’s a shop on Frankford in Carrolton that does good work for half the price the dealership would charge.

I would own another one if it was under factory warranty,  and I would sell it prior to the expiration of said warranty.  If you are going to own one not under warranty you need to find the nearest independent shop that specializes in working on them.  In the DFW area, there’s a shop on Frankford in Carrolton that does good work for half the price the dealership would charge.
Right, I just hear anecdotal stories about Moms getting stranded on the side of 59 with three kids in the car. Fuck that. Too many other nice cars out there.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

do you have the name of the place?  wife has one and no issues other than the fucking alarm goes off randomly in the middle of the night.  from internet google-fu i think it's the 'bonnet' sensor that thinks the hood is getting opened.  

16 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

do you have the name of the place?  wife has one and no issues other than the fucking alarm goes off randomly in the middle of the night.  from internet google-fu i think it's the 'bonnet' sensor that thinks the hood is getting opened.  

I sold mine in 2015.  Don’t remember the name. Tried to get it for you via google maps and came up empty.  Cranky old Brit may have retired since then.

• Hook 'Em 1

After 45 miles in, it randomly doesn’t seem to know the tailgate is actually closed and have to go back there, open it and then re-close it to make the computer stop.  This is gonna be awesome.  Luckily, it is a 22 with 2,900 miles so still plenty of warranty.  The good news is, i hear the closest dealership sucks balls.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've always viewed Range Rovers as a status symbol that announces "we have enough money that it's no big deal to us that this expensive vehicle is unreliable because we have enough other vehicles to use when it's in the shop" - kind of the same "fuck you money" attitude that I think explains things like RM watches, Mark Davis's perplexingly bad haircut, certain designer clothing, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Clackles said:

Yeah I have a feeling there’s gonna be some buyers’ regret with those Rivian trucks.  I saw one in Houston and was pretty horrified by the final product.

The guy I saw driving one in Houston looked miserable. 

Back to the Range Rover -nice lady on the next block that we met walking dogs owns a RR dealer, a Caddy dealer, and a Toyota dealer. Her ride was a Forerunner. I once kidded her about trying to be low key and not driving a RR. Her response: I'm a busy lady...just because I own the dealership doesn't mean the damn thing doesn't die on me. Her husband drives caddies.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:44 AM, tbone_ said:

Anyone driving a phev these days? Any feedback? I’m intrigued by the concept.

a friend has a gen 2 volt and loves that he doesn't have to use gas for commuting.  says the electric-only range is a bit lower than what was quoted.  iirc he can get a bit over 40 miles on electric.  unfortunately GM maxed out the tax credits so stopped selling volts. 

Edited by elfenix

On 5/17/2022 at 9:02 AM, midtown said:

Owner of a 2013 F-150.   Ordered this in September and picked it up last night.  Had my uber driver take me straight from the airport bags and all.   7 miles on the odo.   

2022 Mach 1 with handling package in Cyber Orange.  Tremec 6 spd.

Holy shit its fun to drive.  Esp with the rev match

PXL_20220517_002505059.jpg

Wait, does your splitter have a splitter?  The splitter on my GT350 is already a parking lot entry scrape-magnet but that one is taking it to the next level.  

11 hours ago, USCATX said:

Wait, does your splitter have a splitter?  The splitter on my GT350 is already a parking lot entry scrape-magnet but that one is taking it to the next level.

Yup.  Not only that my rear wing has a rear wing.  Per Ford they needed more track downforce.  I already touched it once so now I either back in or end up parking like 2 feet from the curb.  All the reviews say to just plan to buy a new one at some point. 

Edited by midtown

On 5/29/2022 at 4:17 PM, Okie State said:

We liked ours. Outside of a DEF issue (Sport Diesel) in the first 5,000 miles, ours never was in the shop. She hit a deer in it which turned into a $20k+ repair because of where the idiots mount the electrical components, but it got repaired and was fine. She traded after 2 years and 55k miles or so without any issues. She’ll probably go back to one when she’s 2 years into the Escalade because both kids will be driving at that point and we can downsize some.

We liked ours. Outside of a DEF issue (Sport Diesel) in the first 5,000 miles, ours never was in the shop. She hit a deer in it which turned into a $20k+ repair because of where the idiots mount the electrical components, but it got repaired and was fine. She traded after 2 years and 55k miles or so without any issues. She’ll probably go back to one when she’s 2 years into the Escalade because both kids will be driving at that point and we can downsize some.
Trading up every two years probably helps although there are clearly still plenty of issues on Range Rovers of all ages. I'd probably argue that any $100K+ vehicle should have no serious issues within two years, but maybe that's asking too much.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, Brew said:

Trading up every two years probably helps although there are clearly still plenty of issues on Range Rovers of all ages. I'd probably argue that any $100K+ vehicle should have no serious issues within two years, but maybe that's asking too much.

At this point owning any newer model SUV/truck outside of a warranty is a crap shoot with all the electronics involved. My last 3 Ford trucks have been in for more warranty related issues than the Range Rover ever was. I’m a month into a 2022 F250 and it’s been in twice for a trailer brake controller issue and now the backup camera is shot. Those are different than getting stranded on the side of the road, but we never had that issue in the RR either.

14 hours ago, Okie State said:

I'd probably argue that any $100K+ vehicle should have no serious issues within two years, but maybe that's asking too much.

This statement reflects such a sad state of affairs. Any new vehicle at any price should have no serious issues within two years, period.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, bluto said:

This page makes me never want to get rid of my 6 yr old base as hell model 4Runner. 

No shit. My truck is getting closer to it’s legit end of life cycle for a heavy use truck. This makes me want to throw some parts at it and keep it going.  I didn’t expect, and didn’t have, issues for the first 10 years with it. Got a front right speaker replaced on the warranty.  Gives me a sad thinking I’ll be paying 3x as much to have more issues.