The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

No shit. My truck is getting closer to it’s legit end of life cycle for a heavy use truck. This makes me want to throw some parts at it and keep it going.  I didn’t expect, and didn’t have, issues for the first 10 years with it. Got a front right speaker replaced on the warranty.  Gives me a sad thinking I’ll be paying 3x as much to have more issues.  

Literally only oil changes, brake pads, tires, and filters through 90k mi. Prob due soon for an overall touch up. 

oh and I snapped a side mirror off, $60 for replacement and one hour of fiddling (& I’m not the greatest with a toolset)

Literally only oil changes, brake pads, tires, and filters through 90k mi. Prob due soon for an overall touch up. 

oh and I snapped a side mirror off, $60 for replacement and one hour of fiddling (& I’m not the greatest with a toolset)

Same on my FJ at 135k. It could use new lower control arms and a rebuild on my fancy shocks now, though.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

iterally only oil changes, brake pads, tires, and filters through 90k mi. Prob due soon for an overall touch up. 

My first brake job on it was at 210k.  And it was just one pad that got stuck, so I went ahead and redid them all.  I did have a hub go out after Harvey, so just went ahead and did both.  I've done enough GM hubs to do it in my sleep, so no biggie there.  I knew it would be coming one way or the other.  I've got a little parts stack going for it now, that I'll knock out when this heat subsides.  But it's all little stuff.  I was just looking forward to upping the trim on the next one. 

Took a drive down to Baden-Baden yesterday in a new Mercedes EQB 350. It was the first all-electric drive for me. I drove some autobahn and some twisty roads. The power is incredible. It works for my friend here because his office is in Heidelberg and he charges it their. The home setup is not yet installed. 

The silence was a bit unnerving because my two oldies have such great sounds and my F-150 and Edge are just nice.

I do think that an electric car can be dangerous for America’s easily distracted drivers because the immediate power can put you off the side of a hill, or into another car, even with all the driving aids.

All in all it was an enjoyable drive of about 100 km.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I do think that an electric car can be dangerous for America’s easily distracted drivers because the immediate power can put you off the side of a hill, or into another car, even with all the driving aids.

All in all it was an enjoyable drive of about 100 km.

I remember internet discussions during my teens about what power level becomes too dangerous, when Camaros were starting to push 300hp+.  Back then you had very crude motors, terrible transmissions (= gear shock), and underdeveloped tires. The other tech was turbos with spikey power deliveries.

But my mom can drive my 11 second electric car fine.  Power band is utterly smooth.  All the cars with this HP are AWD.  And electric management means infinitely-short feedback loop and torque control.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

But my mom can drive my 11 second electric car fine.  Power band is utterly smooth.  All the cars with this HP are AWD.  And electric management means infinitely-short feedback loop and torque control.

I drove the plaid and, not to sound like too much of an old guy, a general person off the street or a kid should not be able to drive that car without some training/experience. 

40 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I drove the plaid and, not to sound like too much of an old guy, a general person off the street or a kid should not be able to drive that car without some training/experience. 

1000hp plaid is a whole different stratosphere of conversation. A bit removed from the <300hp EQS 350, ETron, MachE, Polestar, and other normal E cars.

That said, for the visibility, size, position, etc, you'd rather your grandma in the 9.2s Plaid than all the McLarens and Ferraris and Bugattis that it outruns.

On the subject of possibly out of control cars I just test drove the DBX 707. My verdict is LOL this thing is crazy. And I say that as someone who has strapped into plenty of 1000+ drag motors. Pretty much all the power is getting traction.

The chassis is obviously a shit ton more suited to 700 HP than a Challenger or whatnot but this thing is a handful

• Hook 'Em 1

New Hagerty video out. 

Jason Camissa has been making the best automotive content for a long time (since Chris Harris switched from journalism to private promotion)

He also puts out the best podcast under the Hagerty/issimi brand

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 11:13 AM, 52-80 said:

New Hagerty video out. 

Jason Camissa has been making the best automotive content for a long time (since Chris Harris switched from journalism to private promotion)

do yourself a favor and turn on the subtitles

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s hard to learn to trust the cars at the limit in the corners, there’s just so much grip.

I have taken a lot of people on rides and I think my favorite line ever was “dude, you trust this car more than I have ever trusted anything in my life”.  I never really thought about it before but he was right. Takes a huge amount of trust going into some braking zones.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On whim I bought a 2005 corvette base model convertible last year.  It only had 26k miles on it but had little glitchy going on from time to time.  Bought it for 21k.  Wife hated it and I decided to trade after about a year.  I only put about 3000 miles on it.  Traded for 2015 M6 Gran Coupe.  Got 3k more than I paid for the Corvette when I traded.  They would have bought it if didn't trade.  M6 seems just a fast, seats 4 people has room for 2 seats of golf clubs and two suit cases;  I likewise want drive this one every day but it's pretty sweet.  I'm sure when i have to go se Hans in white mechanics jumper that will change but for now...

On 6/16/2022 at 11:13 AM, 52-80 said:

New Hagerty video out. 

I'm hoping to get the new Z later this year.  Need to find out if there are waitlists or preorders available here in DFW.....

Still loving the Caddy.  Small story.  I had the dealer put new emblems on the car, I took off the colored Cadillac ones and had them install the monochrome ones.  It looks slick.  Anyhow, however installed them did a less than careful job and scratched my trunk.  I did not notice until after I got home, I do not have a reason why I did not see it originally.  Called the dealer, they apologized for the issue, and I also apologized for not noticing it when I was there and they had me bring it in.  No touch up, they redid the paint properly and it looks brand new again.  While I was there I accidentally walked in on a team meeting where the service manager was chewing ass about not just my issue but that she noticed small shit slipping like that and how un acceptable it was and they need to raise their standard.  Since it took all day they hit me up with a loaner and took care of everything.  I could not be happier with how they dealt with it.  For the props it is Bayway Cadillac of the Woodlands.

Have to say in this day with a lot of service minded places lacking actual service it was nice to see real service in action.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 6:13 AM, Buzzrock said:

I got to do another one of those XX extreme racing experiences last week in Detroit. I rode a hot lap in a Hellcat and then got to take an R8 and a 911 GT3 RS on the track. They were both lots of fun but the 911 is exceptional. It’s hard to learn to trust the cars at the limit in the corners, there’s just so much grip.

On the way out I saw the rarest car I’ve ever seen in my life.

6ba916acff1b99184274c9297e518ce4.jpg

I've seen lots of 280Z's  What am I missing?

;)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, tbone_ said:

Any one have experience/feedback on the hybrid version in the new F150?

Been kind of kicking that around.

My close friend has one and he loves it. I love the fact that you have a mobile work platform you can easily run tools off of right at the bed.

• Like 1

Anyone have any experience with the new Defender? Dealer in Houston says they will order one and sell it for MSRP and every new or used one I can find is marked up 15k (to the extent you can even find a new one). I love my Land Rovers because I support local small businesses like auto mechanics. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Anyone have any experience with the new Defender? Dealer in Houston says they will order one and sell it for MSRP and every new or used one I can find is marked up 15k (to the extent you can even find a new one). I love my Land Rovers because I support local small businesses like auto mechanics. 

image.png.8151e33592df8be5d2bf0bb2568ff7be.pngimage.png.d6f326bab5891503a8b0143ac51f1030.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

I didn’t see a great thread on Help board, so I am posting this here…. we have a 2017 GLS 63 AMG.  Other than gas mileage, we love it.  On drive to Colorado, the whole center console screen and related electrical and media functionality crashed.  Radio, USB chargers, backup camera, anything media related.  Not a reset or a fuse issue.  The system crashed. 

It’s under warranty, but the dealership can’t get MBUSA to fix it and no dealerships can offer up a refurb.  It’s a relatively popular used car, so I get the limitation on availability.  But I am the one that is stuck now.  Curious, as a general matter, if we are just fucked, or if they have some obligation to make it right via payment for diminution in value or something like that on a trade in.  I mean, we ostensibly paid for this warranty when we bought the car as a CPO, presuming it was built into the value.  I am not hopefully they will find anything and I am not thrilled with leaving the car at the dealer for 6 months while we wait (at same time, if I take it back, I return the loaner and the urgency on their part goes away).  I can go look at the fine print, but I am lazy, so curious if anyone knows for certain how this may work.  I presume we are just fed until they miraculously find the replacement.

Relevant to thread in that I have a Panamera Sport Turismo S Hybrid build coming in November, but if I have to go buy another SUV for the wife (would probably get a new X7), I may need to push that off, which would give me a sad.  

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I didn’t see a great thread on Help board, so I am posting this here…. we have a 2017 GLS 63 AMG.  Other than gas mileage, we love it.  On drive to Colorado, the whole center console screen and related electrical and media functionality crashed.  Radio, USB chargers, backup camera, anything media related.  Not a reset or a fuse issue.  The system crashed. 

It’s under warranty, but the dealership can’t get MBUSA to fix it and no dealerships can offer up a refurb.  It’s a relatively popular used car, so I get the limitation on availability.  But I am the one that is stuck now.  Curious, as a general matter, if we are just fucked, or if they have some obligation to make it right via payment for diminution in value or something like that on a trade in.  I mean, we ostensibly paid for this warranty when we bought the car as a CPO, presuming it was built into the value.  I am not hopefully they will find anything and I am not thrilled with leaving the car at the dealer for 6 months while we wait (at same time, if I take it back, I return the loaner and the urgency on their part goes away).  I can go look at the fine print, but I am lazy, so curious if anyone knows for certain how this may work.  I presume we are just fed until they miraculously find the replacement.

Relevant to thread in that I have a Panamera Sport Turismo S Hybrid build coming in November, but if I have to go buy another SUV for the wife (would probably get a new X7), I may need to push that off, which would give me a sad.  

You are pretty much effed. Just enjoy and drive the hell out of the loaner. And don't blame MBUSA too hard, probably safe to assume they have a supply issue as well for critical electronics. Some cars have basic items like fenders and windshields months out, much less a low volume specialized electronic like make up most of MB infotainment.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Relevant to thread in that I have a Panamera Sport Turismo S Hybrid build coming in November, but if I have to go buy another SUV for the wife (would probably get a new X7)

What I'm eyeing for the wife.  X7 M50i.  With teenagers and sports, we need the room