The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Growing up, BMW made a lot of the cars I wanted.  Now I don't even cross shop them.  

On aesthetics alone the G20 3-series I find the best of their sedan lineup, and the best design in a long time.

(7 series havent been attractive since the 90s era E38, after which bangle bangle'd it)

BMW_750i_E38_(7719664024).jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

On aesthetics alone the G20 3-series I find the best of their sedan lineup, and the best design in a long time.

(7 series havent been attractive since the 90s era E38, after which bangle bangle'd it)

BMW_750i_E38_(7719664024).jpg

Yep.  Add E36 M3 and E39 M5 to that list.  Loved those cars.  

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Growing up, BMW made a lot of the cars I wanted.  Now I don't even cross shop them.  

This. Still own an e30 and 46m3. Don't cross shop the new ones at all.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

And this. Owned an e38 from new and absolutely loved it. The next gen Bangle gutted me, really wanted to continue the ownership but just couldn't with that fugly abomination. Went S-class and have never looked back to BMW.

Also owned an M Roadster. I really was a huge BMW fan and a customer that <should> have been easy to keep loyal for life, and they've somehow not only made me lose interest, but actively repulsed me. Ultimate Driving Machine died a long time ago.

12 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Also owned an M Roadster.

Im jelly. Remembered the first few times i saw it in real life it was the weirdest most repulsive thing ever. And then each subsequent time it was the coolest, most weirdly-attractive thing ever. 

2 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

It took me quite a while to warm up to it--especially the rear end. I strongly considered a used M2, but I wasn't willing to pay over MSRP for a 2+ year old car. I may replace this one with a new M2 in 6 years--the last of the ICE M models

I just bought a used M2 a month ago, but it essentially took me a year and a half to find one in price/mileage/manual range.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can attest to the greatness of the E36 M3.
Original owner of this 1997 coupe, 86k miles.  Taught my son how to drive stick on it.
32284576_IMG_7197copy.thumb.jpg.b34dac2d9582a970998b3ea66f57dcd1.jpg
Jesus, just realized at 25 years should be in the Classic Car thread.

I had the 99 version of that but in a convertible because Arizona. Fantastic car.

So, since going spareless with non-run-flats I had my first tire event.

Went out to the car and got a warning that left rear was 10 lbs low.  Used my inflator to pump it back up to spec.  That worked pretty well, even used the lighter for power to test that out.

I was already headed to Sewell for an oil change, which is reasonably priced for a synthetic, but they usually try to "upsell" some stuff.  They found a screw in the tire, repairable, so I let them fix it for $30 instead of taking it to Discount.  Dammit.

Anyway, that's my typical "flat" experience rather than going flat on the road.  Hope my luck holds.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, since going spareless with non-run-flats I had my first tire event.

Went out to the car and got a warning that left rear was 10 lbs low.  Used my inflator to pump it back up to spec.  That worked pretty well, even used the lighter for power to test that out.

I was already headed to Sewell for an oil change, which is reasonably priced for a synthetic, but they usually try to "upsell" some stuff.  They found a screw in the tire, repairable, so I let them fix it for $30 instead of taking it to Discount.  Dammit.

Anyway, that's my typical "flat" experience rather than going flat on the road.  Hope my luck holds.

First your bike and now your car…

Cayenne has always had some real off-road chops, despite 99.999% of them being used for school pickups and the mall.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022/products/porsche-cayenne-anniversary-20-years-cayenne-s-transsyberia-off-road-athlete-29318.html
They don't have low range. More of an overland setup than offroading. They look good, though.

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
17 hours ago, Sam Lin said:
Cayenne has always had some real off-road chops, despite 99.999% of them being used for school pickups and the mall.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022/products/porsche-cayenne-anniversary-20-years-cayenne-s-transsyberia-off-road-athlete-29318.html

They don't have low range. More of an overland setup than offroading. They look good, though.

First gen's had the high/low range transfer case. They were much more truck-like, and the one that most guys choose when looking to build a trail vehicle..

Edited by NYTransplant
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Let's not get carried away here. Plus first gen Cayennes are in my all time top 10 shittiest vehicle ever list.

Agreed, I'm not saying they're body on frame behemoths, but they were more rugged than the 2nd gen. Top 10 seems a bit extreme, but I've heard they sucked in a lot of areas. Granted, I think your opinion is a bit skewed. You don't strike me as a guy that's driven many true shitboxes. ;)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NYTransplant said:

Agreed, I'm not saying they're body on frame behemoths, but they were more rugged than the 2nd gen. Top 10 seems a bit extreme, but I've heard they sucked in a lot of areas. Granted, I think your opinion is a bit skewed. You don't strike me as a guy that's driven many true shitboxes. ;)

Ha. I actually have spent my fair share of time in shitboxes.

My main gripe with the OG Cayenne stems from the fly by wire. It was just so maladjusted. And some of my issue is relative performance for what a Porsche should be and not absolute shittyness. The fit and finish inside was pretty average too.

• Hook 'Em 1